The Running Thread - 2021

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I figure it can't hurt to ask again:
I'm thinking of trying to mix in some real food in my in-race nutrition plan, along with Maurten gels. Maurten gels are less sweet than other gels, so I have a little bit easier time taking in more than like 2 over the course of a long race, but I'm thinking during a marathon I may want to mix it up with some actual food one or two times in there. Does anybody do this and what do you use?

A few years ago I experimented with raisins during a long run and let's just say that was a TERRIBLE idea. For me at least. I was thinking of peanut butter pretzel nuggets? But those are kind of dry.

I've been working on this for long runs/races because previously I'd tried to use a lot of Tailwind for calories, and I don't think it agreed with me. I did use Maurten gels for a marathon last fall (and some training before), but I found them vaguely gross and also didn't like that I got all sticky during the race and couldn't really do anything about it.

I also used to use Sport Beans, but somehow I got tired of them or something.

I really like GU blocks in the orange flavor, but these have become oddly hard to find. They chew up quickly and aren't too sticky on your teeth. But, I have to open the package before I start the run because they are very hard to open with sweaty fingers.

I also like Swedish fish. Again, not too sticky (I keep them in a ziploc in my vest pocket) and dissolve fast. And I've always liked the flavor.

I wanted something salty, but I have had less success with this. I tried Goldfish, but in the last 1/2 or 1/3 of my run, they weren't appealing. Lately I tried pretzel crisps, hoping they would be less dry than regular pretzels, but no. Very dry. I recently got some Stacy's Pita Chips to try, but haven't had the chance yet. I do put Nuun in my water, so I have electrolytes, but it seems like I should find a salty/savory food as an option. But maybe that is just not my thing.

I like someone's suggestion of salting Fig Newtons, so maybe I'll have to try that. I've liked hearing others' suggestions.

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I figure it can't hurt to ask again:
I'm thinking of trying to mix in some real food in my in-race nutrition plan, along with Maurten gels. Maurten gels are less sweet than other gels, so I have a little bit easier time taking in more than like 2 over the course of a long race, but I'm thinking during a marathon I may want to mix it up with some actual food one or two times in there. Does anybody do this and what do you use?

A few years ago I experimented with raisins during a long run and let's just say that was a TERRIBLE idea. For me at least. I was thinking of peanut butter pretzel nuggets? But those are kind of dry.
This might be stretching the definition of real food but I'm a huge fan of stroopwaffels, the honey stinger ones are an okay substitute too.

This might be stretching the definition of real food but I'm a huge fan of stroopwaffels, the honey stinger ones are an okay substitute too.
I love love love these and am so glad they have become more available in the US. But yeah I'm looking for options that are less sweet than a gu or a candy. I really think it's the sugar that messes with me more than anything else.

A good friend of mine loves Reese's Peanut Butter cups. He mostly uses them for ultras, but if he runs with a pack at a marathon, he'll throw them in. When I was doing a natural food kick I would pack liberally salted dates. Now, they are cousins to raisins, but they worked well for me. (Edit: Dates are super sweet, so the salt helps.)

Re: shoes... Hello, I'm Bobby, and I have a running shoe problem. (Light applause here.) It has been a journey to try to find what works for me, but I am coming to a point where it's not that big an issue. Serious work with the Mobo Board has strengthened my feet so I can run in just about anything, and I have been able to get it under control. I'm still trying to run out old pairs to 300 miles before retiring/donating, and soon I will get it down to 4 road pairs and 1 trail. Big improvement.

Re: cancellations... It is disheartening. We have a race weekend here in Birmingham next weekend, and so far so good. For rD, I think the isolation from neighborhoods/spectators (usually a negative) helps.

A good friend of mine loves Reese's Peanut Butter cups.
See, this is where my thought process started, and then I started thinking it's the sugar that makes me feel bad, so maybe not. Then I started thinking about Reese's Take 5 candy bars, with the peanut butter and pretzels in them to cut the sugar. But then I saw one of the 5 things is caramel, and that's a bridge too far. So I got to pb pretzels. But these other ideas are good. I may just have to experiment.

This is 100% a trial & error thing. I have tried some real food: Uncrustables, Fig Newtons, Goldfish crackers - all were fine for a half-marathon, though a PITA to eat and carry, so I don't bother anymore. But real food doesn't sit well for me in a marathon; I'm much better off with just gels. I've never been sick from anything during a race, but a mile 13 Uncrustable gave me horrendous stomach cramps for a couple miles of a full - never did that again. A gel every 45 minutes and I'm golden.

This is 100% a trial & error thing. I have tried some real food: Uncrustables, Fig Newtons, Goldfish crackers - all were fine for a half-marathon, though a PITA to eat and carry, so I don't bother anymore. But real food doesn't sit well for me in a marathon; I'm much better off with just gels. I've never been sick from anything during a race, but a mile 13 Uncrustable gave me horrendous stomach cramps for a couple miles of a full - never did that again. A gel every 45 minutes and I'm golden.

This is similar to the issue I run into, as well. The higher my effort level in a race, the more sensitive my stomach. I love Uncrustables for long, low-intensity ultras. They would blow my stomach sky-high during a half or marathon. The other issue I run into is that my stomach is pretty solid at handling most things at the half marathon/long training run level. Things that work well there can still blow up on me when taken in marathon volumes. That’s a major reason I’m leery of trying anything new now that I know Huma Gels work for me at the marathon distance.

Wineglass is still on for next weekend as well.

As for shoes - I'm an outlier and use one pair of shoes for running until they're dead, and then I switch to a new pair. This is the first time I have ever had two pairs in rotation - only because I'm running Wineglass next weekend and my current shoes are creeping up on 300 miles.

As for shoes - I'm an outlier and use one pair of shoes for running until they're dead, and then I switch to a new pair.
Wait, y'all run with shoes on? Man, I've got so much to learn...

JK. But I also only own one pair of running shoes - the first I ever bought. After about 400 miles I'm thinking I need to buy a new pair now for the rD marathon in January. The last thing I want is to wear these out and have to break in a new pair right before race day!

On a different board people are really upset about the MCM cancelling, but they have pointed out that the language surrounding the cancellation is very different from last year and doesn’t reference public health (I.e. not because of covid) so speculation is that maybe it’s a military issue or a security staffing issue.

Tried out a half a pbj right before my 7mi run today and it was tolerable. Might be an option to pack for the back half of the race next weekend.

Ran a 15 miler at marathon pace. It ended a 61 mile week that started with a 22 miler last Sunday. I have not run 61 miles in a 7 day window in more than a decade. Changing to run/walk seems to have made all things possible again.

Everyone have a great weekend. Roll Tide!

Wow, good work; that is a big week! I have to agree with you on run/walk.

When I was recovering from a running injury and the eventual surgery, my PT really pushed me to embrace run/walk. I really struggled with this, I always felt like to walk during a run was cheating the run. But I am a big guy and my PT really pushed the benefits of run/walk and how it would keep me running. He also told me to get over myself. He was right. What I have learned is that run/walk allows me to keep proper form, finish stronger, enjoy running more and most importantly stay injury free!

I had to drop my ego and get comfortable walking when others were running past. And I will freely admit that was hard for me. But I am so happy for that choice. It pays to listen to your PT!

I didn’t have an in person race today (that’s next weekend) but I did run the George Washington Patriot Run virtual 5K, and got a new personal best of 41m3s, and set 2 consecutive fastest miles on miles 2 & 3 (and mile 1 was only 1s over my previous fastest mile).

This is clearly a good day for running all around—good job everybody!

Not for everyone... Ran a 15k this afternoon and underperformed at 1:40 (my watch clocked 15.4k 🤷‍♀️)

It was rough as they had us zigzagging all around the neighborhood in trail, sand, even cut hay 🤦‍♀️. I just couldn't get a good rhythm going through all these different changes in surfaces.

I think I'm going to take some time off of running before I train for Princess Weekend. ☹

ETA: Endorphin Speeds are amazing shoes... But not in sand 😉

In the vein of race cancelations Akron was today and is a pretty sizable race.

I saw a post somewhere that Air Force and MCM were due to some military policies still in place due to covid. I have no real idea but neither seemed strictly due to current case numbers.

Had the City of Pittsburgh 10k this morning. New PR at 38:33. I had a 5k PR too, with 19:15 in the second half of the race. In the 10+ years I've done this race, this was about the best weather for it (54 at the start). Largest race I've done in awhile with 3K+ finishers, felt somewhat normal. Good atmosphere and enjoyable race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter