The Paul McKenna band

Nothing disrespectful about this. There's a lot of us who miss the interaction. With Off Kilter, I would usually stand around and catch a song, and then keep walking. With the El Mariache Cobre, I'd catch a song, video it, then keep moving. With Mo'Rockin, all I did was Mo'Walkin. I'm a music lover/performer/addict. But at Epcot, at a theme park, I don't tend to sit and listen to music unless there's a purpose: part of a bigger show, they're singing while I'm eating.

People like Jenna and me miss the interaction. Nothing wrong with that. Especially when the replacement simply stands on a sidewalk and sings nice and soft. Maybe if I were into drinking a lot of beer and sitting around, this would be my thing. After all the walking around we do, rides we hit, hearing the music that constantly plays at WDW, I'm looking for a good laugh and a fun time. Celtic Folk just doesn't fill that craving. Not disrespectful. Honest. And if Disney sent me a survey, this would be at the top of the list.

Bring back the laughs. Bring back the World Showcase Players.
https://www.facebook.com/honoraryworldshowcaseplayers

:thumbsup2

I am sad the comedy acts with audience participation are gone. I remember back in the 80s catching their shows and my dad always getting chosen to be the "little baby boy" in whatever story they were doing because he is 6'4" and 300 lbs. It happened so often that he would duck into a shop just before the wee one was picked then come back out later to enjoy the show.

My favorite time was when he was picked to be a rooster in a show and he was supposed to "****-a-doodle-doo" every time the players said "in the morning" but he got so engrossed in watching the others perform that he missed his cue (I am sure to some people in the audience it looked like he was a plant but it was legit).

I like that there was a variety of kinds of acts around WS. Acrobats in France and China, musicians in nearly every pavilion, interactive comedy in UK and Italy. I haven't seen the new Celtic band and I generally enjoy that kind of music, but my impression was that it was replacing the fake Beatles replacement band. They just kind of took away one of the acts from UK without replacing it when they cancelled the Players. Disappointing.

I am sad the comedy acts with audience participation are gone. I remember back in the 80s catching their shows and my dad always getting chosen to be the "little baby boy" in whatever story they were doing because he is 6'4" and 300 lbs. It happened so often that he would duck into a shop just before the wee one was picked then come back out later to enjoy the show.

My favorite time was when he was picked to be a rooster in a show and he was supposed to "****-a-doodle-doo" every time the players said "in the morning" but he got so engrossed in watching the others perform that he missed his cue (I am sure to some people in the audience it looked like he was a plant but it was legit).

I like that there was a variety of kinds of acts around WS. Acrobats in France and China, musicians in nearly every pavilion, interactive comedy in UK and Italy. I haven't seen the new Celtic band and I generally enjoy that kind of music, but my impression was that it was replacing the fake Beatles replacement band. They just kind of took away one of the acts from UK without replacing it when they cancelled the Players. Disappointing.

I never went in the '80s, my first time was 1998. The only show I have ever seen the UK players do was the grail. I was bored of it. I agree audience participation shows are fun, but they should change periodically. There is some entertainment at Epcot I am not interested in stopping to watch, but I don't start threads about how bad they are. Everyone has their own tastes.

About the attire - all other employees/entertainment wear specific clothing to add to the atmosphere that is part of WDW. The video clip I watched was disappointing because the musicians wore casual street clothing. I expect more from an act at WDW.

And yes, I do like Celtic music. Husband and I are going out in a few minutes to the Pickled Onion, where friends of ours will be playing some guitar, penny whistle, and fiddle music.

About the attire - all other employees/entertainment wear specific clothing to add to the atmosphere that is part of WDW. The video clip I watched was disappointing because the musicians wore casual street clothing. I expect more from an act at WDW.

And yes, I do like Celtic music. Husband and I are going out in a few minutes to the Pickled Onion, where friends of ours will be playing some guitar, penny whistle, and fiddle music.

You clearly have a good grasp on traditional "Celtic" music. Agree with Gerogina wholeheartedly.

Here they are during a real performance. See how they dress...

What you see in Epcot is authentic. Why would you expect anything else?

I have to say that The PMac Band is "growing" on me.:)

I really like their music.:)

Also,from everything I've heard,they will be here for one year and one year only,so if you enjoy them,make as many shows as you can and if you don't,they'll be gone in a year.:)

16063035681_03a78e7b75_c.jpg

Music is fine. I'm also thrown by the lack of costuming.

When I visited the UK, the locals were predominately dressed much like Paul and his band.

So if you ask me, the "costuming" is authentic Scottish trad band. ;) What would you rather see them wearing -- beefeater uniforms? Skins and clan symbols? Three piece suits?

When I visited the UK, the locals were predominately dressed much like Paul and his band.

So if you ask me, the "costuming" is authentic Scottish trad band. ;) What would you rather see them wearing -- beefeater uniforms? Skins and clan symbols? Three piece suits?

They're playing traditional Celtic music, so they should be in traditional celtic garb. Heck Off-Kilter performed outside of the WDW in street clothes, but in the parks they had costumes. Right now they just look like a bunch of random park guests grabbed instruments and started playing. Kilts for the guys and some kind of dresses for the ladies? Tartan plaid would be fine too, or heck even all in black...something to dress them up a bit and tie them together so they don't look like tourists. It just looks odd in jeans and street clothes. Just my opinion.

scottish_great_kilt_tartan_01.jpg

scottish_highland_womans_outfit_10.jpg

irishdressfb.jpg

interesting definition of modern!!!

Can't remember who I'm quoting but "the only person wearing a kilt in scotland is a tourist."

Yes, but this is DISNEY WORLD. Costumes are appropriate. Otherwise, why bother to have CM's wear costumes in the countries at all? I would venture to say we'd be hard pressed to find anyone in those actual countries dressed like the CM's in Epcot.

fair point

but clearly Paul McKenna band is a move to more modernly authentic acts rather than some sort of disney stereotype - though not sure where the lumberjacks fit into that!! :)

I cant help thinking I'm going to really not like epcot for the whole fakeness of the world showcase. feels like a very 70s view of the world, which was less open then.

You clearly have a good grasp on traditional "Celtic" music. Agree with Gerogina wholeheartedly.

Are those not the instruments being played by the band at EPCOT? Not sure what the issue is, but every single other performer at WDW wears something besides street clothing. What's wrong with wearing something nicer than street clothing?

Not sure what the issue is, but every single other performer at WDW wears something besides street clothing. What's wrong with wearing something nicer than street clothing?

Nothing "wrong" with it, but if they did, would they be true to who they are, how they usually perform?

Disney hired them to play their music, not dress up like Renaissance Faire performers.

These are not people pretending to be a Scottish folk band -- they ARE a Scottish folk band.

That said, maybe they're just in street clothes while Disney makes up their Renaissance Faire costumes.

They're playing on a street, not a stage. Perhaps those are their costumes as Edinburgh street performers?

This is what I felt when The British Invasion were replaced by The British Revolution. The British Invasion wore costumes and wigs so they looked the part and they also acted the part. They were musicians but in character.
Then they were canned and replaced by The British Revolution who are excellent musicians but were just a generic rock band playing in jeans and t shirts. At this point instead of watching multiple sets I either miss them out completely or watch a song or two at most. I was in the minority though as many people love this band.
In a way that change set the standard for this band. Obviously Disney no longer feel that the costume or illusion is important.

they're just in street clothes while Disney makes up their Renaissance Faire costumes.

The guy couldn't play guitar in the Olaf costume. But they're adapting the costume and they'll be synergizing soon.

Then they were canned and replaced by The British Revolution who are excellent musicians but were just a generic rock band playing in jeans and t shirts.

Though BR doesn't have the Sgt. Pepper costumes of BI,etc.,they do have a "little" bit more elaborate "look" that just jeans and t-shirts to their credit.:)
9608960541_d2a07c2fcb_c.jpg

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter