The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

I tried to search but didn't see my issue. Arriving at 11 am MCO, Uber to Riverside, drop bags off to MK. Genie + yes? We will log on 7 am before we get on the plane to pick LL for SDMT and we can pick a 1 p.m ride as well? Will everything be gone? We arrive Dec 15, short trip really there for a dog event but squeezing in 2 days at Disney.
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but for Genie+ rides, you cannot select a time. If you're able to wait a bit, not sure when your flight leaves, but jungle cruise or Peter pan times may get out past 1pm before your takeoff allowing you to grab that, then you can select another ride at 11am.

The sdmt ILL$ will allow you to select the time so that won't be an issue.

Take screenshots of everything you book!! I am so frustrated!

We have had 5 separate times in the last two days where we booked a specific time for something (even the paid ROTR!!) and when we go back to the app, the TIMES HAVE CHANGED. I am not even talking about clicking on the 1025 SDD LL but then a moment later it’s telling me 1pm in the confirmation. I’m talking about we booked and paid for the 1130 ROTR at 7am and when we went to the app to plan something else, it was changed to 1230pm. Or the test track we booked for 805pm being changed to 905pm.

Has this happened to anyone else??
I’ve read of this happening because people were still looking at the tip board tab with current genie times vs the my day tab. could that be it?

So it says we have our park tickets with genie +

But whenever I try to use Disney lenses it brings me to a purchase genie plus screen

so now I’m worried something is wrong? It’s not 7 am yet but shouldn’t I see it’s there or something? I see no way to use it when it’s time

Would love to hear reviews and advice from folks who used G+ with their first choice at HS being anything other than SDD. SDD being gone at 7:00:01 seems to be dominating the conversation.
This is where we are at. HS is out first park and have zero interest in Slinky Dog, we don't think it's that great of an attraction.

Our plan is to book a ILL for Rise first shooting for a return time of around 11:30-1. Then (or simultaneously with someone else signed into the same account) try to nab a G+ for Smugglers Run either just before or right after the rise window but something after 11 am. At 11 am we plan to book another using the two hour rule since the park opens at 9 and not really sure what the goal will be but will look for something with a return time around when our Rise window ends. if we don't find anything at 11 am that we like in Hollywood we are going to look over at Magic Kingdom in the evening so we can do Splash before it closes for refurb.

This is where we are at. HS is out first park and have zero interest in Slinky Dog, we don't think it's that great of an attraction.

Our plan is to book a ILL for Rise first shooting for a return time of around 11:30-1. Then (or simultaneously with someone else signed into the same account) try to nab a G+ for Smugglers Run either just before or right after the rise window but something after 11 am. At 11 am we plan to book another using the two hour rule since the park opens at 9 and not really sure what the goal will be but will look for something with a return time around when our Rise window ends. if we don't find anything at 11 am that we like in Hollywood we are going to look over at Magic Kingdom in the evening so we can do Splash before it closes for refurb.
I booked ILL for Rise on one of our Hollywood days right at 7. I did it quickly and was able to choose our desired time (4 pm) without issue. I remember all of the times seemed available. It was our second day at Hollywood and I chose not to by Genie Plus. The first day we had it and by our 11 selection window there was nothing really available. Yes, Star Tours and Muppets were available but those were low wait or walk on.

If I were you I'd have someone trying to get Smugglers Run at the same time you were getting Rise. On the day we got Genie Plus, Smugglers Run was gone by the time I could book again (that was the day I got SDD at 7 am). We just waited in line for Smugglers Run (multiple times too).

My experience was the week of Thanksgiving so it was really crowded. Genie Plus at Hollywood just didn't seem worth it on those days.

*** edited to say I was able to add one son after he made his own account so I think it is working for us - thanks!

So the other 3 (DH, & two young adults) do not have MDE. Right now I see their park tickets, park reservations, etc. So from what you're saying they can create their own MDE account and choose to share their plans with me. How does MDE pick up that the person named "Bob" in my account is my child named "Bob" who just made his own MDE?

I didn't see an answer to you initial question in the thread despite reading through several pages. I have been wondering the same thing as I have to decide whether one of my sons should have his own MDE. When your son made his own account, what seemed to tell MDE that he was the same "Bob" as the one in your MDE? I am nervous about messing up park reservations and, in general, my friends and family list.

I didn't see an answer to you initial question in the thread despite reading through several pages. I have been wondering the same thing as I have to decide whether one of my sons should have his own MDE. When your son made his own account, what seemed to tell MDE that he was the same "Bob" as the one in your MDE? I am nervous about messing up park reservations and, in general, my friends and family list.

He made an account with his email address and name and so on (his details) and then he sent me an invitation to link to him to the email I use for MDE. Or it could be that I sent him the invitation. Actually I think I sent it to him ... I would look for that option first. I think on MY family and friends page there was a link there to send him a link invitation and I sent it to the email he used for his MDE account.

Once linked he could see his ticket and his park reservations. To do something that required money (like mobile ordering or buying LL pass) he would need to put a credit card on his account I think. I don't think the payment info on YOUR account would carry over to him just cause you two are linked now. I could still see him in my account. One of my sons changed his park reservation (had the front desk at the resort do it or Guest Services in the park) and I think I could see that also. I also was able to make one son a $LL for something he wanted that the other one didn't - and I bought Genie + for 2 days for one son and myself when the other son had other plans. So I was still able to make plans for both - I presume they could have done the same for me.

I suggest taking screen shots of his park reservations and tickets if you're concerned it will vaporize but it was actually super simple in the end!

I’m guessing this has been discussed somewhere in the 112 pages lol but I’m going to Disneyland next month and since there’s not a lot of G+ experience there yet I’m wondering what WDW people have experienced with this. And also this will be nice to know when I’m at WDW for the DCP in the spring!

What exactly happens when a ride you bought an individual lightning lane for breaks down? Can you use it on any ILL ride the rest of the day? I thought I remembered all ears saying you could actually buy a 3rd one? So for example could I book an ILL for Rise, have Rise break down, use it on MMRR instead, and then also book 2 more for say FOP and Ratatouille? Lol does that make sense?

Also what happens when a normal G+ ride breaks down when you have a pass for it? Say a ride like Winnie the Pooh breaks down and I have G+ for it, can I now use that on any other G+ ride such as Thunder Mountain Railroad?

I had no idea you couldn't pick your return time to an attraction like you can with lightning lane.. I'm going to epcot later in day so I was trying to coordinate around my Remy time at 630pm. I should of did some research on genie+ before buying lol. Is there a reason why they don't let you pick?

My SINCERE apologies if this has been asked (and answered !) already--- leaving next week, and stressing over this !! Can you book Genie+ or "ILL" from a laptop (via MDE) or just from the APP? I dont usually go thru the app, as Ive always been able to do everything that I needed (FPs (miss you!). ADRs, hotel ressies, etc) on the laptop- Thanks so much, and once again... apologies !!

My SINCERE apologies if this has been asked (and answered !) already--- leaving next week, and stressing over this !! Can you book Genie+ or "ILL" from a laptop (via MDE) or just from the APP? I dont usually go thru the app, as Ive always been able to do everything that I needed (FPs (miss you!). ADRs, hotel ressies, etc) on the laptop- Thanks so much, and once again... apologies !!
I don't see any options for this though I'm not in the park today. Also, since you can only get 1 G+, plus your ILL$, at 7am, what would your plan be the rest of the day to grab next G+ rides?

You need the app to book the rides. For Genie+, I found the following on this Disney webpage:

How to Purchase
  • Before Your Visit:
    Available as an add-on to a ticket or vacation package for the duration of visit. Purchase via Disneyworld.com or authorized travel professionals.
  • Same Day of Visit:
    Available for single-day use for existing ticket holders or Annual Passholders. Purchase via Disney Genie service in the My Disney Experience mobile app.
When to Select Attractions
Once you have Disney Genie+ service, you can select the next available arrival window for your first experience via the My Disney Experience mobile app beginning at 7:00 AM on the day of your visit.
Once you’ve redeemed your initial selection (or the arrival window has passed), you can use the app to check your My Day itinerary or Tip Board to see when you’re eligible to make another selection. You can make selections all day up to regular park closing.

You need the app to book the rides. For Genie+, I found the following on this Disney webpage:

How to Purchase
  • Before Your Visit:
    Available as an add-on to a ticket or vacation package for the duration of visit. Purchase via Disneyworld.com or authorized travel professionals.
  • Same Day of Visit:
    Available for single-day use for existing ticket holders or Annual Passholders. Purchase via Disney Genie service in the My Disney Experience mobile app.
Once you have Disney Genie+ service, you can select the next available arrival window for your first experience via the My Disney Experience mobile app beginning at 7:00 AM on the day of your visit.
Once you’ve redeemed your initial selection (or the arrival window has passed), you can use the app to check your My Day itinerary or Tip Board to see when you’re eligible to make another selection. You can make selections all day up to regular park closing.

Thanks so much !!!

I don't see any options for this though I'm not in the park today. Also, since you can only get 1 G+, plus your ILL$, at 7am, what would your plan be the rest of the day to grab next G+ rides?

Tx !!! Yea, I didnt see any options either- My daughters I-Phone is plan for rest of day. LOL---

Tx !!! Yea, I didnt see any options either- My daughters I-Phone is plan for rest of day. LOL---

Seems like you would need the APP in order to add Genie+ to your existing tickets as well---- (or call) - dont see an option on Disneyworld.com

I would recommend staying at the same park if you are going to purchase Genie+. Some of the times they give you for returns end up being much later in the day, for example, Jungle Cruise return time at 9 a.m. was for 4:30 p.m. As the day goes on it gets later and later. We are park hoppers so it seemed you would have better results being at the same park. We ended up with only 2 rides at MK, back to room to hop to HS and got one ride on Toy Story. You just don't seem to get many rides the way we did it. And the booking a second ride 2 hours from the first booking didn't work when booking at 7 a.m. Once we were in the park it was either right after you scanned into the ride or 2 hours. Still because you can't choose times it's pretty limiting. But the lines got very long as the day moved on so it was still worth it for us.

Is this still the correct strategy (things are changing so fast I can't keep up).

The Set Up
-Hollywood Studios on Sunday 1/2
-Booked Genie + and will get ILL for ROTR and maybe MMR (Touring Plans says crowds will be a 10)
-Staying at BCV, but will not arrive at HS until around 11:30 (we are getting off a cruise)
-We are willing to give up SDD if it will help our chances to get the other major attractions.
-We will stay till close.
-We do not like waiting in line, so unless standby is less than 30 minutes or so, it won't happen.

The Plan
-7am - We will have one person get the ILL for ROTR while another person books the first LL
-Do I want the first LL to be for later in the day (like after 5pm)?
-I can then book another LL at 11 and then 2 hours later or after I complete the last one I booked? (This is where I'm a bit fuzzy). How do I keep things moving to maximize LL throughout the day?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

The Plan
-7am - We will have one person get the ILL for ROTR while another person books the first LL
-Do I want the first LL to be for later in the day (like after 5pm)?
-I can then book another LL at 11 and then 2 hours later or after I complete the last one I booked? (This is where I'm a bit fuzzy). How do I keep things moving to maximize LL throughout the day?
You won't be able to select a time for LL like you will with ILL$ rides. You could try for SDD and hope for later time, maybe wait 10 seconds before proceeding, but that's a personal decision. Mfsr may also give a later return time quickly, but you should be able to have a better opportunity to get close to the time you click if you keep refreshing.

Yes, 2 hours after park opening for first one, so at 11am. If the return time for the second selection is less than 2 hours, you can get your next after tapping in. If More than 2 hours, can get next LL 2 hours later at 1pm.

Best way to keep it moving is to pick the ride/show with the closest return time, but that may not always be what you want to do.

How to Purchase
  • Before Your Visit:
  • Same Day of Visit:
Flying into MCO early tomorrow am. Was planning on purchasing the Genie + and make my first selection around 7 am for later in the day. I understand that after 2 hours I can make my next selection. Will the next selection just stack onto the first selection? I was hoping to make later in the day selections for more popular rides in hopes that when we arrive around noon we will have some reservations for rides. Also, I am assuming I can make these selections outside the park and do not physically be in the park while making my reservations since I have a reservation and tickets for Magic Kingdom. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter