The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

I’m glad to see this thread still active after all this time!

Chiming in with my best tip/strategy. We’ve had good experience with booking G+ LLs for rides that show as down. It’s like a golden ticket, having a LL for a closed attraction converted to an Anytime LL, so I’m always in the lookout for opportunities to book rides that are down for some reason!
We successfully did this at DL. Good tip to know for WDW too.

Chiming in with my best tip/strategy. We’ve had good experience with booking G+ LLs for rides that show as down. It’s like a golden ticket, having a LL for a closed attraction converted to an Anytime LL, so I’m always in the lookout for opportunities to book rides that are down for some reason!
I’ve never used Genie+ so I’m not sure how this works. If you see a ride that’s down does it still allow you to book a LL? Then does it automatically convert to an anytime LL even if you haven’t tapped in? Do you then get to book another attraction and come back later to use the originally booked ride? Sorry if I’m sounding a bit dim just trying to check I’ve got this straight in my head. I wouldn’t want to rebook a different ride if it meant I lost the original if it was something I really wanted to do if that makes sense.

What is the going rate for Genie+ each day for each park? We have some first timers coming and I know prices have nearly doubled. We are trying to gently explain the added price of convenience.

We leave in two weeks. I am trying to see if we can skip using Genie+ on a day or two. I think with early entry to Animal Kingdom that is doable that day?

What is the going rate for Genie+ each day for each park? We have some first timers coming and I know prices have nearly doubled. We are trying to gently explain the added price of convenience.

We leave in two weeks. I am trying to see if we can skip using Genie+ on a day or two. I think with early entry to Animal Kingdom that is doable that day?
The prices during holidays (closer to Memorial Day) will be $25-39 range per person. Genie+ does sell out.

https://www.thrill-data.com/lightning-lane/wdw/price-history

If you’re going to AK on a weekday away from Memorial Day weekend you can get away with riding FOP and Navi during early entry. You need to be at the gates 30-40 mins early and transportation can take the same time depending on where you’re staying (AK lodge transportation is quickest but buses will have long lines in the morning).

If staying at a deluxe resort AK (and HS) sometimes has extended evening hours (select dates in Nov/Dec)

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2023...g-hours-are-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Last edited:

The prices during holidays (closer to Memorial Day) will be $25-39 range per person. Genie+ does sell out.

https://www.thrill-data.com/lightning-lane/wdw/price-history

If you’re going to AK on a weekday away from Memorial Day weekend you can get away with riding FOP and Navi during early entry. You need to be at the gates 30-40 mins early and transportation can take the same time depending on where you’re staying (AK lodge transportation is quickest but buses will have long lines in the morning).

If staying at a deluxe resort AK (and HS) sometimes has extended evening hours (select dates in Dec)

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2023...g-hours-are-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Thank you. You're the best! Just when I think I know enough I find some tidbit of information from somebody else. We are probably going to just take an uber that day. I booked us an early breakfast that day before I knew about the hours. We can probably rope drop Pandora and then go to breakfast for sure.
That day we plan on leaving in the afternoon to get some rest before going to MK after hours. Ak opens at 7:30 early entry. It is going to be quite the day.
We watch both of those Vlogs all the time. I didn't see the new one from Park Prodigy. We will watch that during breakfast today.
Thanks again!

I’ve never used Genie+ so I’m not sure how this works. If you see a ride that’s down does it still allow you to book a LL? Then does it automatically convert to an anytime LL even if you haven’t tapped in? Do you then get to book another attraction and come back later to use the originally booked ride? Sorry if I’m sounding a bit dim just trying to check I’ve got this straight in my head. I wouldn’t want to rebook a different ride if it meant I lost the original if it was something I really wanted to do if that makes sense.
Sometimes, but not always, MDE will allow future bookings of an attraction that is then down. I think it allows it more often than it doesn't. It may depend on how long they expect the attraction to be down for. If the attraction remains down when your return time comes, it should automatically convert the LL for that attraction to an anytime LL (also known as an MEP and by other terms). Sometimes, it will convert it even before the return time begins. If that was your most-recently-booked LL attraction, you will also then be allowed to book another LL right away. The anytime LL can always be used for the attraction that went down, as well as other attractions. It will tell you which ones it can be used for. It won't be all attractions though. Booking another LL attraction will not remove your anytime LL. Tapping into the lightning lane for another ride that accepts that anytime LL, and for which you do not have a LL for that ride would, however, use up the anytime LL, So, the potential problem isn't with booking another LL; it's with tapping into one. If you are careful about tapping in to the lightning lane only for those rides that you have a LL for that ride, you should be able to hold onto your anytime LL until you can use it for the ride of your choice.

Edit: I'm using LL to mean Genie+ lightning lane reservation, not the lightning lane itself.
You do not have to have tapped in to the ride that went down to be given an anytime LL.

Last edited:

You can check the price on your MDE app every day. Just click on "learn more" or "purchase" on the Genie+ bar on the opening page and you'll see the prices for that day. You don't have to be on property or even have a reservation to check the prices. Today's prices are:

Genie+ 4-27.jpg

You can check the price on your MDE app every day. Just click on "learn more" or "purchase" on the Genie+ bar on the opening page and you'll see the prices for that day. You don't have to be on property or even have a reservation to check the prices. Today's prices are:

View attachment 855132
I'm really surprised to see those prices today as we paid those same prices during President's week this year! :oops:

Sometimes, but not always, MDE will allow future bookings of an attraction that is then down. I think it allows it more often than it doesn't. It may depend on how long they expect the attraction to be down for. If the attraction remains down when your return time comes, it should automatically convert the LL for that attraction to an anytime LL (also known as an MEP and by other terms). Sometimes, it will convert it even before the return time begins. If that was your most-recently-booked LL attraction, you will also then be allowed to book another LL right away. The anytime LL can always be used for the attraction that went down, as well as other attractions. It will tell you which ones it can be used for. It won't be all attractions though. Booking another LL attraction will not remove your anytime LL. Tapping into the lightning lane for another ride that accepts that anytime LL, and for which you do not have a LL for that ride would, however, use up the anytime LL, So, the potential problem isn't with booking another LL; it's with tapping into one. If you are careful about tapping in to the lightning lane only for those rides that you have a LL for that ride, you should be able to hold onto your anytime LL until you can use it for the ride of your choice.

Edit: I'm using LL to mean Genie+ lightning lane reservation, not the lightning lane itself.
You do not have to have tapped in to the ride that went down to be given an anytime LL.
Thank you

View attachment 855132
Yea, that sucks as beforehand you could book G+ throughout you stay far in advance. Now you have to wait to book and to see what it costs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter