The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

*If* Santa brings the Jr Ranger outfit, I will need a picture. :)

I think that can be arranged. We didn't get the hat, though. The outfit was already a little pricy, and he's getting to that age where hats don't stay on his head for more than 5 seconds anyway.

Mark, you really need to re-evaluate your priorities. This is one of the best things on TV these days.

Better than football? Because that's taking most of my time right now. :thumbsup2

3 consecutive hours?!?! WOW! You must have really worn him out. :rotfl2:

So refreshing. :faint:

Donuts make everything better.

Truth. Add this to the Pantheon with bacon, cheese, chocolate, and pineapple.

::yes:: Absolutely!

You can sleep when you're dead!

:goodvibes And a nice reminder of why you and Julie are busting your butts and taking a baby cross country to give them the 50 state experience. :thumbsup2

Sometimes we need those reminders!

Were you dunking those donuts in some chocolate milk? :lmao:

I certainly can't rule that out.

What are they thinking? Oh, that's right. They don't!!! :rolleyes1 :lmao:

They're thinking, "We have to do the work sometime, and some idiot will complain no matter when we do it. Might as well get 'er done!"

More like a whole herd! :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

I couldn't stop laughing when I first read that quote. Way to capture the moment, bud!:rotfl2:

Get that kid a Stadium Pal.

I know we'll be re-enacting that scene from Dumb & Dumber sooner or later.

Well, obviously!

And he still has a bladder the size of a gnat's. :sad2:

Always, or just this one time? :confused3

Let's not get greedy. Just this once.

Absolutely right. Just like most restaurants in Disney World, it's the experience, not the food.

I bet even PB&J tastes better in a Disney park.

The only time I appreciated DS waking up at these hours was when we were on Disney vacations. DH and DM are not early risers, so having DS up would force them up:stir:

That's very evil. I love it. :rotfl2:

Donuts anytime of the day brings a smile to my face!:teeth:

Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

I bet the change in weather was a nice change.

It was pretty refreshing, actually. 100 degrees gets old, even if it's a dry heat.

Gorgeous shots!

:thanks:

Wow, you really have saved a lot so far. I thought it was some type of ploy to get people to pay a large sum up front. Guess not and that's awesome!

It was definitely a better deal! We'll try and keep on using the pass through the rest of the year, too.:thumbsup2

I was wondering if/when you were going to address why he'd been going to the restroom a lot. What a good boy that he listened!

Um...yeah, it was great. :headache:

Oh geez. Not the brightest crayon in the box huh? :rolleyes2

The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is dead.

A good start. May he get settled soon.
Seven month is a long time, but twenty-two would be worse.
Not that Max cares, but I’d tell Drew that there’s really no need in breakin’ that particular record.

I try not to complain too much, because you can always find somebody who has (or had) it worse. Like you, for instance. :rotfl2:

22 months?! That's just inhuman. I would have resorted to Ny-Quil long before then.

Ahhh, Well…
according to the Inter-webs (and we all know that everything out there is factual) it comes from local slang. Most of the larger municipalities are in the northern part of the state and apparently the folks up that way had borrowed the term and would often (and somewhat disparagingly) refer to the hotter, dryer southern part of the state as “Dixie”. Apparently someone in the forestry service took a shine to the local designation and made it official (at least within the confines of the USNPS).

There… that’s half the battle.

So if they ever form a National Forest below the canal in my home state, it will be named Slower Lower Delaware National Forest.

::yes:: As astute observation if ever I’ve heard one, sir.
I shan’t be arguing the point.

See if you can throw a "dadgum" in there too.

So to put that into South’rn parlance:
The boy could cipher to the drop how much rain will fall, but it just don’t occur that he might ought come back in the house once it commences.

Beautifully stated.:thumbsup2

Wonder where he picked that up form…
Not a problem though. Book smarts will take one a very long way indeed. But once out on his own he’d do well to find someone to spend time with that can make up for that deficiency.

Like his pappy did.;)

Dadgum, y'all hoodoo'd me good right there.

Do it!!! But you and Julie should be Ghostbusters to go along with the theme. :thumbsup2

My brother and I actually went as Ghostbusters once upon a time. We had old vacuum cleaner hoses that we used for the proton ray guns. Now we're trying to get at least one of the kids to be a Ghostbuster.

As for the grown-ups, I usually dress as a suburban dad for Halloween. And Julie always refuses to wear the costumes I'd like to see her in. What can you do? :confused3

I saw the play Flacco made at the end of the first half on Sunday. So your opinion doesn't count. :rotfl2:

It depends who is playing. ::yes::

The way you guys are hyping this show, it had better be the greatest production ever committed to celluloid when I sit down to watch it. Something on the level of Star Wars, The Godfather, and Pixar rolled into one. :rotfl:

The way you guys are hyping this show, it had better be the greatest production ever committed to celluloid when I sit down to watch it. Something on the level of Star Wars, The Godfather, and Pixar rolled into one. :rotfl:
Ok, I'm not calling it the greatest production ever. But as far as a sitcom on TV in this day and age... absolutely.

It probably has elements of all of them rolled into it. Lord knows it definitely has the Star Wars, Star Trek and superhero elements covered adequately.

But most importantly, it has Penny. :thumbsup2

Ok, I'll stop trying to highjack your TR, but Lego Death Star... seriously. What's not to like?

bbt.jpg

It may not live up to everything you have indicated here, but it's the only show that has ever made me spit out my beverage laughing out loud, and Sheldon never ceases to amaze me with his ludicrous views and statements. Having grown up all my life with geeks it's great to have a show focused on geeks.

Although my Mom says she can't watch it because she says she knows too many people who are like that in real life. But she worked for SETI.

My wife LOVES his chubby legs. She squeals over them once a day, at least.

We're thinking of modeling his Halloween costume after a certain movie character. Can you see the resemblance?

photo.JPG

Oh I see it and I think it is a must now!

Very sweet and cute!

Ok, I'm not calling it the greatest production ever. But as far as a sitcom on TV in this day and age... absolutely.

I don't think I've actually watched a sitcom faithfully since Cheers was on. Now I'm dating myself.

It probably has elements of all of them rolled into it. Lord knows it definitely has the Star Wars, Star Trek and superhero elements covered adequately.

And scenes with exploding helicopters?

But most importantly, it has Penny. :thumbsup2

The lady from LOST? Awesome!

Ok, I'll stop trying to highjack your TR, but Lego Death Star... seriously. What's not to like?

Keep on hijacking. It's fun, and arguably more interesting than the TR. Did you know my kids actually built the Lego Death Star?

It may not live up to everything you have indicated here, but it's the only show that has ever made me spit out my beverage laughing out loud, and Sheldon never ceases to amaze me with his ludicrous views and statements. Having grown up all my life with geeks it's great to have a show focused on geeks.

That might hit a little too close to home for me! I couldn't watch Parks & Recreation because it was too close to my work--idiots at public meetings, etc.

Although my Mom says she can't watch it because she says she knows too many people who are like that in real life. But she worked for SETI.

I totally get where she's coming from! I can imagine that working for SETI must have been a very unique experience.

Oh I see it and I think it is a must now!

Very sweet and cute!

:thumbsup2:goodvibes

The lady from LOST? Awesome!

Not that one, this one.

the-big-bang-theory.jpg

That might hit a little too close to home for me! I couldn't watch Parks & Recreation because it was too close to my work--idiots at public meetings, etc.

That is what got me to watch it. As you may remember I owned a Comic Book Shop, when the show came on, my oldest DD kept telling me how much it was like the guys who came to my shop. She then told me that it made her miss our shop. Started to watch it then and have never regretted it. And yeah, it is like our store and more.

That is what got me to watch it. As you may remember I owned a Comic Book Shop, when the show came on, my oldest DD kept telling me how much it was like the guys who came to my shop. She then told me that it made her miss our shop. Started to watch it then and have never regretted it. And yeah, it is like our store and more.
Did your store have a Penny? :confused3 :lmao:

And scenes with exploding helicopters?
Well... I'll have to think about that. But there is an epic road trip, a train ride, space travel and a scientific study on a boat.

Keep on hijacking. It's fun, and arguably more interesting than the TR. Did you know my kids actually built the Lego Death Star?
I always thought your kids were awesome, but now I know it for a fact. :thumbsup2

Not that one, this one.

the-big-bang-theory.jpg

Oh my.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Well... I'll have to think about that. But there is an epic road trip, a train ride, space travel and a scientific study on a boat.

Getting better....

I always thought your kids were awesome, but now I know it for a fact. :thumbsup2

I agree! Most of the time.

Did your store have a Penny? :confused3 :lmao:

Sometimes, but not for long. The guys creeped therm out.

:rolleyes1

Captain’s Log: Monday, 21 July 2014.

12:45 p.m.—PB&J eaten. Messy diaper changed. Dave just finished using the restroom. I think we can move on to new viewpoints now.

1:15 p.m.—We make several stops along the road, checking out the various views from each overlook. Rather than turn this into a trip report where I post Every. Single. Picture. We. Took. On. The. Trip. Even. If. They’re. Bad. Or. 14. Versions. Of. The. Same. Picture, I’ll try and do my best to stick with the highlights. But there are a lot of highlights. The unique formations combined with the extremely clear air and the ability to see for miles in the distance makes for some truly striking views.

IMG_5555.JPG

1:20 p.m.—By far Julie’s favorite overlook is the one called Natural Bridge. Here we have another misnomer, as it’s actually an arch. An arch is formed when the forces of wind erosion create a hole in rock that gradually widens over time, whereas a natural bridge generally spans a valley and could be at least partially formed by a waterway. Anyway, I think Julie took roughly 80,000 photos here.

IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

When I saw how much she was enjoying herself, I told Julie to pose. “Here’s your new Facebook picture,” I said. Turns out it was.

IMG_5569.JPG

This was at Farview Point, which was aptly named:

IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_5572.JPG

IMG_5576.JPG

1:35 p.m.—Our next stop is Bryce Point, which is on the road that rings the main amphitheater in the park. So this will be our first view of the main attraction. There’s a bit of an uphill hike to get from the parking lot to the actual viewpoint, but it turns out to be worth the effort. This ended up being my favorite spot in all of Bryce Canyon. Not only can you see for miles once again, but the entire amphitheater is there for you to just drink in.

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

1:52 p.m.—I wish we could have stayed longer, but we need to hightail it over to Sunset Point, another overlook on the main ridge. There’s a ranger talk going on at 2:00, and that was the only one we could conceivably get to. Why is that important? Because the kids are trying to become Junior Rangers.

Each National Park has a Junior Ranger program. They’re basically designed to keep the kids from getting bored while mom and dad snap thousands of pictures (see above) at the overlooks. The kids pick up an activity book from the visitor center, and there are different activities they have to complete based on their age. They might include word puzzles, or fill-in-the-blanks quizzes where they have to find the answers in the exhibits, drawings, etc. They are typically required to attend one ranger talk as well, and the ranger has to sign off on their attendance. If they complete all of the assigned activities, they return to the visitor center where another ranger will check their work (they spend a good amount of time with the kids on this), and then swear them in as Junior Rangers. They also get a little plastic park ranger badge to wear proudly , displaying the name of the National Park where it was earned.

For the most part, it’s a lot of fun, and it’s a good way to keep the kids interested. The only exception I’ve seen thus far was when we visited Gettysburg Battlefield earlier this summer, and the book basically required a week’s worth of work and a doctoral dissertation in order to earn the badge. Everything else we’ve seen has been more reasonable.

We get to Sunset Point just in time, somehow find a good parking spot, and the kids hustle up to hear the ranger speak. I got to enjoy the view on this side of the amphitheater.

IMG_5596.JPG

2:20 p.m.—The ranger finishes up. Sarah had done a report in school on hoodoos in the spring, and announces to me, “I already knew most of that stuff.” Attagirl. Dave announces to me, “I need to use the bathroom.”

They have revised the statement on the sure things in life to include death, taxes, and Dave needing to take a dump in an inconvenient location.

2:21 p.m.—So we go find the bathroom, and Dave heads inside. Not long after, the janitorial staff comes by and begins to close the door so they can wash the floors. “My son’s in there,” I tell them. “Okay,” they say, and block off the door anyway. I sure hope he’s ok in there.

2:26 p.m.—Dave emerges, apparently none the worse for the wear. Whew!

2:45 p.m.—Another stop at the Visitor Center, where the kids are officially sworn in as Junior Rangers of Bryce Canyon National Park. Their personal pride grows approximately 7% each. We the commence souvenir shopping. I’m not sure who was responsible for designing the items in the National Park gift shops this year, but they must have known I was coming somehow. Numerous items were done in the style of old-time, retro Art Deco travel posters, which Julie and I are complete suckers for.

It took a lot of willpower not to ask for one of everything. They also had magnets and key chains made to look like survey benchmarks. Since I recently started managing the survey crews here at the office, this caught my eye as well.

We recently had to move the kids’ bedrooms around to make room for the baby, and the kids took the opportunity to “Disney-fy” (or re-theme) their rooms. Sarah made hers a travel room, and we hung a couple of retro-ish posters in there. She’s since begun decorating her closet doors with postcards from destinations we’ve visited, all in that same Art Deco style. So she was able to hit the jackpot here.

3:14 p.m.—Suddenly much poorer, we head out of the park a few miles up the road to the Best Western Ruby’s Inn to check in. Ruby’s Inn looks like a tourist trap from the outside. The reason for this is because it’s a tourist trap. They have a huge gift shop, a couple of restaurants, a dinner show, and even a “rustic shopping village” across the street.

Bryce Canyon is in a remote area of Utah, so if you need a place to stay, there aren’t too many places to choose from. There’s Ruby’s Inn, the “grand” Best Western across the street ($250-$300/night), and the Bryce Canyon Lodge inside the park. While it would have been fun to stay at the Lodge, running the numbers showed Ruby’s to be the cheapest place to stay, so that ended up as the winner.

The place is massive—building after building of motel rooms. I know you’re waiting for me to say I got lost here too, but we actually find our place with little difficulty and start hauling suitcases inside.

4:30 p.m.—It’s a little early for dinner, but PB&J never seems to hold us for very long, so we decide to head out for some grub. Just like the hotels, the pickings are slim for dining options. And the reviews for the restaurants at Ruby’s were uniformly awful. Thankfully, Alison (franandaj) blazed a trail for us by visiting a couple of months before we did (see her Southwest Trip Report here). On her trip, she and Fran had visited Foster’s Family Restaurant and given it a solid recommendation, so off we go. After all, Alison wouldn’t dare steer us wrong…would she??

4:57 p.m.—Foster’s is a few miles west of the park entrance, back out on Route 12. Unlike other restaurants on this trip, it’s very easy to locate, since there’s a whole lot of nothing surrounding it. It’s a little mom-and-pop shop, with a simple country menu.

IMG_5603.JPG

The first thing I notice is the quality reading material at the table.

IMG_5599.JPG

For dinner, I end up splitting the fried chicken platter with Sarah, since we’re both suckers for fried chicken. Plus, Alison said it was good, and we do everything Alison tells us to do.

Anyway, she was right. It’s good. Nothing out of this world, but for being in such a remote place, all of our food is perfectly decent. I can’t remember what Julie ordered, and the boys most likely scanned the menu for 20 minutes before ordering a burger and mac-and-cheese like they always do. But the point is, the food is decent, if not memorable.

This changes, however, when we order dessert. Sarah and I are of course still hungry since we split the entrée. The menu advertises homemade pies, so that’s where our attention is drawn. Nice to see a place concentrating on quality dessert items like pies for once. You know, rather than overrated items such as cakes. We order one slice of apple pie and one slice of chocolate cream (having such good memories of the pie at Monkeypod in Hawaii).

The pies are excellent. Both are some of the best restaurant pies I’ve ever had. Seriously, you would be totally justified to skip dinner and just make a meal out of the pie at this place. Call me a bad DIS-er because we were too busy inhaling it to take food pictures.

IMG_5600.jpg

6:17 p.m.—In the evening, we head back into the park. When I had originally planned the trip, I had seen a note that a special Ranger program was offered at night—a chance to view the night sky over Bryce Canyon. Since Bryce has some of the clearest air in the nation, the park offers a chance to see a huge blanket of stars after dark. Often a Ranger will give an astrology talk and give the chance to look through a large telescope at various celestial sights.

Naturally, the fine print (i.e. the schedule clearly printed on the page) shows that this doesn’t happen every night, and we happen to be there on a night with no astrology program. But never fear—there is a lecture that night in the Bryce Canyon Lodge auditorium on bats.

Talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse.

Still, we want to see the night sky, so we need to do something to kill the time. As we make the turn to the lodge, we find a prairie dog town in a field just off the road. Scotty, being our resident fan of cute furry animals, forces us to stop the car so he can get out and see them. It’s fun to watch them pop out of their holes and chirp warnings about the idiot tourists to each other.

IMG_5617.JPG

We also see a family of deer run by:

IMG_5615.JPG

6:28 p.m.—We park at the lodge and head for the rim again. Here’s the main lodge building:

IMG_5620.JPG

We wander along the rim trail, enjoying the shadows cast on the hoodoos as the sun slowly sets. It’s actually not a great place to watch the sun set, since you’re facing east, but the shadows make for some neat pictures anyway. I imagine sunrise would be fairly spectacular here.

IMG_5625.JPG

At some point, Julie has to feed the baby. So I take the other kids and we decide to wander down one of the trails, just to see what it’s like down amongst the rock walls. We take a trail into a section known as Wall Street, due to the rocks feeling like skyscrapers next to you.

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5632.JPG

IMG_5635.JPG

Does that trail look steep? Because it really feels steep when climbing out. And that couldn’t possibly be due to the fact that I’m an out-of-shape lardbutt.

IMG_5638.JPG

Continued Next Post

Monday, 21 July 2014, continued.

7:29 p.m.—Sunset continues over Bryce Canyon.

IMG_5644.JPG

8:00 p.m.—It’s time for the Wonderful World of Bats. Otherwise popularly known as Rats With Wings. Again, we’re pretty much killing time until it’s dark outside. We take seats in the back while I hold a well-fed Baby Drew and gently rock him to sleep.

8:02 p.m.—Yeah, right. This is the Baby Who Never Sleeps. He’s getting fussy.

8:03 p.m.—Fussier still.

8:04 p.m.—He’s also getting louder.

8:05 p.m.—Well, as much as I’d love to stay and hear about bats, I think I need to take one for the team. I take Drew into the back hallway just outside the auditorium. I try gently bouncing him in my arms, hoping between that and the pacifier that he’ll tire himself out and go to sleep.

8:06 p.m.—Still not working.

8:08 p.m.—Actually, he seems kind of ticked off. If you could translate his cries, I’m pretty sure he would be shouting, “I’m TIRED!!! I’M TIRED AND I NEED TO SLEEP!!!” I try a logical argument, such as, “If you’re tired, you should go to sleep, dummy.” But he doesn’t want to hear it.

8:09 p.m.—Two park rangers sitting in the back of the auditorium stand up, look back and me, and then gently shut the auditorium doors in my face.

8:15 p.m.—I finally get Baby Drew calmed down and dozing. I go to set him down in his stroller. As any parent knows, transferring a sleeping baby from your arms to a stroller/crib is a delicate operation at best. If you’re not a parent, this is the most equivalent situation I can find:

images

8:16 p.m.—Just like Indy, the switch fails. He’s crying again.

8:45 p.m.—Mercifully, the bat lecture comes to an end. I’ve been battling Baby Drew off and on for 45 minutes and am exhausted. Julie nurses him a bit to calm him down, and of course he drifts off lovingly in her arms. Little punk.

9:00 p.m.—We drive a short distance over to Sunset Point, which is practically deserted by now. Awesome. The baby is asleep in his car seat. Double awesome. We are back in our sweatshirts, because it’s getting cool without the sun. Julie has unpacked the tripod and has the camera ready to go.

The night sky at Bryce Canyon is truly spectacular. You’ll see so many more stars than you would at home, thanks to the absence of any light pollution from civilization. We stood here for quite a while, and it did not get old.

Note: our camera let us go up to 30-second exposures, so that’s what we went with. I did enhance the brightness on these a bit so you could see all the detail it captured. So if it looks a little grainy, that’s why.

IMG_5661.JPG

Milky Way:

IMG_5685.JPG

When you get a sky as clear as this, it’s important to keep watching.

IMG_5688.JPG

If you do, you might be rewarded with a shooting star.

IMG_5689.JPG

We actually saw several. Julie didn’t see any, but then she reviewed the pictures, saw the one above, and shouted, “I got one! I can’t believe it! I got one!”

Here’s another one, behind the tree left of center:

IMG_5690.JPG

More Milky Way:

IMG_5694.JPG

This evening was one of my favorite parts of the trip. Even without the ranger program, I was glad we’d stayed up to watch the stars. The kids had never seen shooting stars before, and it was a treat to hear them shout when they spotted one. Not only was it a wonderful night full of good memories, but a worthy reminder that sometimes we need to get outdoors, get away from all of the worries of life, and just sit quietly, drinking in a universe that is bigger, more beautiful, and more mysterious than any of us could ever hope to understand.

Coming Up Next: National Park #2. And given the way the trip is going, I’m sure one of the kids will #2 as well.

I don't think I've actually watched a sitcom faithfully since Cheers was on. Now I'm dating myself.

That is dating yourself!

Keep on hijacking. It's fun, and arguably more interesting than the TR.

OK, if you insist!

I can understand that, but this show is different. They're physicists and while I'm sure physics comes into play in road engineering, you probably wouldn't think it was a great idea to write an app that calculates the Derivative since it's such a mundane daily task to have to always calculate.

Besides my father (who is a computer programmer) really likes the show, but then that could be Penny he's really watching. :scratchin

I totally get where she's coming from! I can imagine that working for SETI must have been a very unique experience.

Yes and no. While she enjoyed the trips to Aricebo that she got to take, pretty much her job entailed writing code for the telescope to send out radio (or some kind of) waves to different points in the galaxy and hope that sometime, they would bounce back or even better, get some sort of sign that life was out there. They always brought a bottle of champagne with them in case they discovered life, but ended up just drinking it the last night before they went home. Then when Carl Sagan died, no one fund raised for the project any more so they aged her out because she had too much seniority and got paid too much.

OK done hijacking!

Not only was it a wonderful night full of good memories, but a worthy reminder that sometimes we need to get outdoors, get away from all of the worries of life, and just sit quietly, drinking in a universe that is bigger, more beautiful, and more mysterious than any of us could ever hope to understand.

Coming Up Next: National Park #2. And given the way the trip is going, I’m sure one of the kids will #2 as well.

You made me laugh reading this several times, but none like the last statement...

The first quote, is very true, and try to remember it everyday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter