The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

“Sighted sub, sank same.”

Looking for U-boats in there?

That program is something I was unaware of and mightily cool to boot.
Dang shame my young’en ain’t anymore. Young that is. Don’t mean that I wouldn’t enjoy it myself. I wonder if they let doddering old folks play along with that little reindeer game? Collecting the badges would be cool as well.

Well, it never hurts to ask. It really is a great idea to give the kids something to shoot for. We saw a lot of kids wearing badges from several parks.

“Badges… we don’t need no stinking badges!”

Or do we?

::yes::

Yah that does seem a bit excessi…

Wait a second!

Y’all went to Gettysburg and spent time on the national battlefield?
And didn’t tell anyone else about it?
And didn’t post any pictures or commentary on it?

No, no, sir… that won’t do.
I do believe that this calls for a bonus feature.

Dagnabbit...there you go creating more work for me. I don't even have any photos uploaded. It would mostly be a big field where you'd have to imagine stuff happening.

What you feedin’ that boy?

Taco Bell?

From your explanation, it must be a group of former Imaganeers.
They seem to practice the same type of voodoo.

Retro travel posters = awesomeness.

No sense in disguising it, I suppose.
Still, it couldn’t be any more blatant than South of the Boarder.
(and likely less disappointing)

We weren't on that level of badness. And they're the only game in town, so it's not like we had a huge choice.

No argument here, and these sound right enticing.
As far as I’m concerned… “Pie”, in all its guises (sweet, savory, dessert, entrée),
is close to the most perfect edible item in existence.

And the only thing more overrated then cake is cupcake.
(with an exception for reserved for Tres Leches Cake…
but then again, considering its density, that’s really pie anyway)

I do love my pies. I will admit, though, that I'm not a big fan of chicken pot pie, and dishes like that. Every time I have one, I think it should be something I'd really go for, and then it ends up being disappointing. So I guess I'll just eat dessert from now on.

Scheduling road trips does have its challenges.
It’s hard to drive a loop with limited time and still schedule in every bit that catches your imagination.

True. And with limited rooms at the Grand Canyon, we had to basically plan the trip backwards from there.

Oh no… certainly not…
And that won’t be the issue if I ever get out there either.

I probably ate too much pie.

I think it’s more like: I’m TIRED!!! AND I DON’T WANT TO BE TIRED SO I’M GOING TO SCREAM UNTIL YOU FIX IT FOR ME!!!

I guess the translation depends on the local dialect.

That’s one rather apt equivalent.

I've been up since 2:15 this morning. The poison darts got me.

“There's nothing to fear here.”

“That's what scares me.”

Best. Movie. Ever.

Getting all philosophical on us here are ya’?
I totally agree, with you, but still…

Shooting stars. Milky Way. Kinda hard not to. I'd say more on the subject, but the board rules say to stay away from that, so...

Great update, fabulous pictures, priceless memories.
Thanks for letting us poor schleps ride along.

I'm glad you're here. Otherwise I'd be talking to myself.

Looking for U-boats in there?

Just a nod of favorable comparison to your skillful ability to boil a lengthy, complex and even harrowing series of events that may well have involved suffering and potential losses of life and limb down into one deceptively concise and spare entry.

Now see what ya’ went and did to there… you should know better than to give me reason to elaborate. It just leads to long stretches of unnecessary babble that has to then either be deciphered or pointedly ignored. :rolleyes:

Dagnabbit...there you go creating more work for me.

It’s a gift. :thumbsup2

I don't even have any photos uploaded. It would mostly be a big field where you'd have to imagine stuff happening.

Of course you could just write up something completely unrelated instead.
(or forget I said anything in the first place, as no one else seems too concerned)

Taco Bell?

That explains much...

I do love my pies. I will admit, though, that I'm not a big fan of chicken pot pie, and dishes like that. Every time I have one, I think it should be something I'd really go for, and then it ends up being disappointing. So I guess I'll just eat dessert from now on.

I could go into a dissertation on my expansive theories on just what constitutes pie…
but you already owe us one bonus feature now, so we’ll let that one slide.
(something the rest of your followers are likely glad to hear)

Best. Movie. Ever.

Certainly one of the top five or six.
Lord knows I can quote nearly all of it.

Shooting stars. Milky Way. Kinda hard not to. I'd say more on the subject, but the board rules say to stay away from that, so...

Rules?

In a TR?

I'm glad you're here. Otherwise I'd be talking to myself.

That’s kind’a why I stopped working on mine; although I probably need to get over it and start back to ‘em anyway.

But the notion of missing out on one of your stories…
That’d be unthinkable.

Ah, Bryce Canyon, brings back memories! That Natural Bridge was the big thing I remembered about it, but the whole place is just so beautiful. It was only a quick stop on my trip, so I didn't see the full extent of it like you did. Especially at night - very cool view of the stars and shooting stars! :thumbsup2

Such a gorgeous and unique place. Well worth the time spent, that's for sure.

Bryce point looks so amazing. Geez!

It is!

Very cool that they have something to do for the kids....uh, can adults partake? DH has no interest in outdoor activities:confused3

I don't really know. Just go up to the desk and ask and see if you get any weird looks.

Glad Alison's recommendation helped get you some fabulous pie!

Me too! She was the gift that kept on giving for this trip!

The photos you captured of the stars are absolutely breathtaking. A shooting star and such a clear shot of the milky way..incredible. Awesome update!

It was such a great night! We felt blessed to be able to be there to see that.

My God, it's full of stars!

+1:thumbsup2

WOW!

WOW!

WOW!

I don't know what else to say...WOW. The views are spectacular and I think you put in the right amount of pictures and they are all awesome.

Why, thank you! :goodvibes

I would have offered to take Drew out as there is no way I'm listening to anything about bats!

I knew you would appreciate that subject. :rolleyes1

I have never seen a shooting star. I know your kids know how lucky they are.

Keep watching the skies! You really need a nice dark place away from any light pollution. It's such a cool experience.:thumbsup2

PB&J eaten. Messy diaper changed. Dave just finished using the restroom.
I see how it is. You're over this whole TR writing thing and just using copy and paste now.

But there are a lot of highlights. The unique formations combined with the extremely clear air and the ability to see for miles in the distance makes for some truly striking views.
Post all the pictures you want. It all looks amazing!

If they complete all of the assigned activities, they return to the visitor center where another ranger will check their work (they spend a good amount of time with the kids on this), and then swear them in as Junior Rangers. They also get a little plastic park ranger badge to wear proudly , displaying the name of the National Park where it was earned.
We don't need no stinking badges.

Ok, seriously though, that's a neat program. I'm glad you took the time to make an effort so the kids could get their badges.

They have revised the statement on the sure things in life to include death, taxes, and Dave needing to take a dump in an inconvenient location.
You're in the middle of nature. There's no place any more convenient. :thumbsup2

Dave emerges, apparently none the worse for the wear. Whew!
Well, he's no worse for the wear, but what about the bathroom??? :faint:

There’s Ruby’s Inn, the “grand” Best Western across the street ($250-$300/night), and the Bryce Canyon Lodge inside the park.
I don't think I have EVER seen a Best Western worth 250-300/night. :rotfl2:

The first thing I notice is the quality reading material at the table.
How appropriate, after your souvenir shopping spree.

We order one slice of apple pie and one slice of chocolate cream (having such good memories of the pie at Monkeypod in Hawaii).
Fried chicken and pie. You won the home style dinner jackpot. :thumbsup2

Scotty, being our resident fan of cute furry animals, forces us to stop the car so he can get out and see them. It’s fun to watch them pop out of their holes and chirp warnings about the idiot tourists to each other.
It's like a life size version of whack a mole!!! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Does that trail look steep? Because it really feels steep when climbing out. And that couldn’t possibly be due to the fact that I’m an out-of-shape lardbutt.
Well, it really is steep, but that last part doesn't help any... :rolleyes1

Actually, he seems kind of ticked off. If you could translate his cries, I’m pretty sure he would be shouting, “I’m TIRED!!! I’M TIRED AND I NEED TO SLEEP!!!” I try a logical argument, such as, “If you’re tired, you should go to sleep, dummy.” But he doesn’t want to hear it.
That still doesn't work with our 4 year old. He'll whine that he's tired. I'll then tell him to lay down and close his eyes. He then says he doesn't want to. At that point , I usually just ignore him until he crashes on the floor somewhere. Yep... I'm your closest competition for the parent of the year award. :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

If you’re not a parent, this is the most equivalent situation I can find:
You are so right about that one!

This evening was one of my favorite parts of the trip. Even without the ranger program, I was glad we’d stayed up to watch the stars. The kids had never seen shooting stars before, and it was a treat to hear them shout when they spotted one. Not only was it a wonderful night full of good memories, but a worthy reminder that sometimes we need to get outdoors, get away from all of the worries of life, and just sit quietly, drinking in a universe that is bigger, more beautiful, and more mysterious than any of us could ever hope to understand.
What a way to end the evening! I'm glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the clear skies and see some shooting stars. And a very nice way to wrap up the update and put things in perspective.

[/B] National Park #2. And given the way the trip is going, I’m sure one of the kids will #2 as well.
Just one of them? :rolleyes1

Somehow you posted an update while I was mid hijacking your TR yet again.

It was a ninja update!

Your pictures are spectacular! The colors are so vibrant, much more so than mine.

With a little assist from photo-editing... :rolleyes1

I wouldn't have minded more pictures but maybe not all 80,000.

Just sit back for the next several hours...

This was my favorite spot too, but the overlooks without railings really got to me and my vertigo.

Oh, it's not so bad. The drop is only several hundred feet or so.

Yikes! Based on those prices we wouldn't have stayed at the Lodge, thank goodness for off season travel. But then there is the risk of a freak snowstorm in Mid May when you do that.

The Lodge was a little cheaper, but still about $180/night. Summer is high season, so you're pretty much stuck.

Really? Snow in May? :rotfl2:

Thanks for the shameless plug! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

I liked the fact that it appeared to be actually home made fried chicken and not Banquet. There definitely wasn't a lot to choose from in that neck of the woods!

Not much at all! But there's nothing wrong with little mom-and-pop shops. And homemade fried chicken is hard to beat.

I'm sorry we left too full to try the pie. Next time.

Mmmm...pie...

I can't believe you got so many prairie dogs in that picture. We looked at that field over and over again hoping to spy some, but never did. I guess they didn't like the snow either. :confused3

We didn't see them the first time we drove by, but I guess persistence pays off.

I would have loved to see skies like that, and Julie's pictures are just spectacular. She is really a top notch photographer! :thumbsup2 I guess when there is a snowstorm the skies just aren't that clear. and when it's that cold at night all you want to do is stay in your nice warm hotel room!

Thanks! Julie has really worked hard at learning the ins and outs of the camera over the last couple of years.

I can imagine it was a lot warmer for us in July, and we still needed sweatshirts!

That's so great you had such a wonderful night. It's such a magical place and your kids got to see things that they wouldn't see many in other locations.

:goodvibes

Correction - 80,002

I was close.

That one was hard core. Thankfully they were able to become "Junior Secret Service Agents" at the Eisenhower Farm - which is right next to Gettysburg....so the trip wasn't a total wash. That one was MUCH more doable!

I see nobody was demanding a Junior Secret Service agent special feature.

Proud parenting moment! :hug: :woohoo:

Annoying parenting moment! :sad2:

I like the first kind better.

I did not know this. Boy, you learn new things on this inter-web-thingy every day!

You didn't notice the cleaning crew?

I think it was a french dip type thing.

Sounds like it was very memorable.

True story. The pie was incredible. I do wish we had taken pictures. Just trust us. It was incredible. I'm more of a "cake" person than a "pie" person, and I would cross the street for this. Seriously. THAT good.

Can we have more pie? Please?

And this quickly devolved into me holding and furiously bouncing a screaming baby, his screams ruining the peaceful calm of the canyon for many. When bouncing and jumping with a 22 pound weight in my arms stopped working, I resorting to pushing him back and forth in the stroller, praying that Mark would show up soon.

Sounds like an adventure. Wish I could have been there. Not really.

Sarah actually leaned over at one point and told me that she thought some were cute.

She's weird.

Yeah, he was peaceful THIS time....but earlier at 7:00pm...not so much. 'Lil punk.

::yes:::rotfl:

I was SO incredibly excited!!!

Now we just need to get a lightning bolt on camera!

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." --Psalm 19:1

::yes:::thumbsup2

I could not watch the Office or Park and Recreation for that very reason.....

Sometimes art imitates life too well.

Julie ( and you ) got some great pictures at Bryce. WOW is right Kathy.

The nighttime pictures are spectacular. :eek:

:goodvibes Thanks!

A stop for some great pie? YUM.

You can never have enough great pie.

A difficult baby makes for an easy child. I hope that holds true for you. My DS was bad like that but he was just always hungry. Once I could put cereal in with expressed milk he was better. Not convenient but I could sleep more. :)

We've gotten him to start eating baby food but he hasn't gotten any better at night. He's been teething lately and that's been worse. Especially the last 2 nights! I'm running on fumes here! Don't tell my boss.

Loved all the pictures of the Bryce Canyon - its really amazing. You pictures are spectacular and I bet its even more-so in person. Wowsa!

Always hard to capture the scope of these places in a picture.

Very cool about the Junior Ranger program. Kind of a bummer about Gettysburg being too much work. Probably because there's so much that went on there, but still. :confused3

Their book got a little too far into the details to make it worthwhile.

Poor Baby Drew. He really didn't want anything to do with that bat lecture. I'm glad he finally fell asleep. An overly tired child is just not that fun!

He's a lot of fun during the day. The he gets replaced by his evil twin at night. :faint:

Cool that you were able to photograph a shooting star. Gotta Love that!

It was so cool!

What? No dinner pics????

Many other DIS-ers are much more faithful and diligent on the food pics than I am.

The stars are amazing, your trip report is making me wan to include a lot more on our trip next year :yay:

Hope you get to see it!:thumbsup2

Beautiful pictures, and I believe you that your star-gazing session was one of the highlights of the trip!

:thanks: It was incredible!

Great pictures!! The rock formations are gorgeous! I believe my parents stopped at Natural Bridge and also loved it.

The Junior Ranger program sounds like a lot of fun for the kids. My family mentioned a possible trip out west next year so I am going to be taking notes on things to do. :)

The sunset and star pictures are great, too. How fun to see the shooting stars!!

Hummm… where did I leave off? :surfweb: :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

I don't know. Weren't you paying attention either?

Hey there! I'm trying to stay current. But as I quickly realized, I'm waaaaay behind.

Hi Timmy! I guess since you're leaving on the cruise, you'll be way behind again very soon.

I feel sorry for you. Bet you want to put your head under a tire after having Barry's face in your head all day. :rolleyes1

:rolleyes1

Please wait… i need to find my couch. :rolleyes:

Shocking! :p

Good thing you were sitting down!

LOLOL… I know Melody would of been getting us all back into the car looking for the fastest place to eat.

Then you would have ended up at Taco Bell or something. :crazy2:

Ouch… poor kid. But you should never put it under the table.

Hopefully we only need to learn that lesson once.

And it's healthier when you are eating burgers every day.

Obviously that was the first consideration.

What were they expecting you to say? No, thanks, we'll sleep in the parking lot?

Good think you didn't check in earlier. You would of ended up in that standard room. :cool2:

I was thinking the same thing! I wonder if anyone has ever turned down an upgrade like that?

See. I told you. Never leave anything under the table… including a baby.

Don't worry, I won't ever do that again.

6:30? Isn't that like 830 EST? I'd take that in a minute.

If the baby is up constantly at night, you lose track of time quickly.

Good call on taking this tour. 30 minutes was probably long enough.

I would have liked the longer one, but you do with what you have.

I am on your side here. :thumbsup2

Dam.

IT DOESN'T GET OLD!

They have a Giant helping them build back them? That's a huge hand!

Maybe Sarah's? She is growing like crazy.

Speaking of Giants….. I can send Drew a Giants shirt. popcorn::

That would be great! I never seem to be able to find a vomit rag when we need one.

1.21 gigawatts!!!!

The only thing capable of generating that kind of energy would be a bolt of lightning!

Maybe he was face palming from all the dam jokes.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Could be… nice shot!

That's crazy. My stomach got queazy just looking at that pic.

I didn't think it was so bad. Lots of issues with heights in this group!

Unbelievable how low the water level is. It would take years of above average rain to get back to those levels.

Yeah, it's pretty scary. And now the Southwest is getting hit with monsoon-level storms.

That would be great! I never seem to be able to find a vomit rag when we need one.

+1
thumbs-up-smiley-300x300.png

Bud bump cha! You gonna be here all week? :crazy2:

Try the veal!

Awesome views!!!

::yes:: I agree!

Glad you held onto the baby.

Was there any doubt?:confused3

I just saw a show on Lake Mead and it is crazy what is happening there. Marinas are hundreds of feet from the water.

Yeah, it's amazing. We saw a lot of floating docks that appeared to be a long way from the road.

Do you ever buy Fluff, you know, just to switch it up a bit?

Sometimes they do Nutella. I'm not as big a fan of that, myself.

You have a keen eye!

Just call me Captain Obvious. Wait, that's not right...

Bacon? Where? Bacon???

Sorry, I ate it.

Was he super thirsty because of the temps?

All will be explained in time.

Sweet!

Love this pic!

:thanks:

Your lucky anything is open in Utah on Sunday.

I wish I would have thought of that sooner!

Free food and free ice-cream? That's a win-win right there. :thumbsup2

I agree!

Now it's a win-win-win!

:woohoo:

Well done Julie. At least you know if stay at home mom, or educator doesn't work out, you can always fall back on soft serve ice cream swirler. :flower3:

Not sure if there's any money in it, but you never know.

….and then Scotty happened.

Great choice! Can't believe the gas prices out there…. feels just like home.

I'm sure they were in summer "bilk the tourists" mode.:sad2:

Just a nod of favorable comparison to your skillful ability to boil a lengthy, complex and even harrowing series of events that may well have involved suffering and potential losses of life and limb down into one deceptively concise and spare entry.

Now see what ya’ went and did to there… you should know better than to give me reason to elaborate. It just leads to long stretches of unnecessary babble that has to then either be deciphered or pointedly ignored. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I can imagine you saying it all with a Southern accent, and then it's just plain fun.

It’s a gift. :thumbsup2

You....you got a gift, my friend.

Of course you could just write up something completely unrelated instead.
(or forget I said anything in the first place, as no one else seems too concerned)

As with all things, it just depends on whether I remember to get back to it later.

That explains much...

Make a run for the border!

I could go into a dissertation on my expansive theories on just what constitutes pie…
but you already owe us one bonus feature now, so we’ll let that one slide.
(something the rest of your followers are likely glad to hear)

I think it would be most appropriate just to run a bonus feature with nothing but pictures of pie.

Certainly one of the top five or six.
Lord knows I can quote nearly all of it.

My top 3:
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. The Shawshank Redemption
3. Die Hard

Rules?

In a TR?

Well, more like guidelines, actually.

That’s kind’a why I stopped working on mine; although I probably need to get over it and start back to ‘em anyway.

But the notion of missing out on one of your stories…
That’d be unthinkable.

That's worthy of a bonus point, right there.

I see how it is. You're over this whole TR writing thing and just using copy and paste now.

SSSSHhhhhh! You're giving away all of my secrets!

Post all the pictures you want. It all looks amazing!

We're only limited by the 25-per-post rule!

We don't need no stinking badges.

Ok, seriously though, that's a neat program. I'm glad you took the time to make an effort so the kids could get their badges.

I may not need a stinking badge, but the kids sure did.

You're in the middle of nature. There's no place any more convenient. :thumbsup2

Oh, don't worry. We took plenty of advantage of nature.

Well, he's no worse for the wear, but what about the bathroom??? :faint:

Do NOT go in there!

I don't think I have EVER seen a Best Western worth 250-300/night. :rotfl2:

I'm really not sure that's possible! Summer is definitely high season there.

How appropriate, after your souvenir shopping spree.

And we hadn't even shopped at Disneyland yet!

Fried chicken and pie. You won the home style dinner jackpot. :thumbsup2

I could eat that every day and not get tired of it.:thumbsup2

It's like a life size version of whack a mole!!! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Well, it really is steep, but that last part doesn't help any... :rolleyes1

Too..much...pie....

That still doesn't work with our 4 year old. He'll whine that he's tired. I'll then tell him to lay down and close his eyes. He then says he doesn't want to. At that point , I usually just ignore him until he crashes on the floor somewhere. Yep... I'm your closest competition for the parent of the year award. :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Nice. I need to step it up here. And it's wonderful to know I have no hope of this ending anytime soon. :faint:

You are so right about that one!

I get so tired of setting off the traps and alarms.

What a way to end the evening! I'm glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the clear skies and see some shooting stars. And a very nice way to wrap up the update and put things in perspective.

It was a great night, for sure! Until the baby started waking up again, anyway.

Just one of them? :rolleyes1

I'm too tired to remember at this point.

No need...
Being part of the same Gettysburg excursion, you were going to work that into the feature anyway.

Right?

;)

Um...sure...I just need to go get something out of my car.

(drives off)

Great pictures!! The rock formations are gorgeous! I believe my parents stopped at Natural Bridge and also loved it.

The views were terrific from every overlook. You can't go wrong.

The Junior Ranger program sounds like a lot of fun for the kids. My family mentioned a possible trip out west next year so I am going to be taking notes on things to do. :)

It's a great way to keep the kids interested. Some assignments are more fun than others, obviously.

The sunset and star pictures are great, too. How fun to see the shooting stars!!

It was so cool!

:teeth:

Joining in a little late but still. The baby is to cute and I loled at the fact he kept waking up for food. pfft did he not know on vacation you sleep all night!

The inside of the dam pictures reminded me of Wreck it Ralph for some reason and again loled at Drew keeled over in his stroller :rotfl2:

Love the Junior Ranger hat so cute!

"I have to sign the check too...

I usually sit in the car, and write it out on the, ah, glove compartment lid."

emoticon-tv-002.gif

Joining in a little late but still. The baby is to cute and I loled at the fact he kept waking up for food. pfft did he not know on vacation you sleep all night!

:welcome:

Thanks for reading along! This kid really needs to learn the rules about sleeping.

The inside of the dam pictures reminded me of Wreck it Ralph for some reason and again loled at Drew keeled over in his stroller :rotfl2:

Wreck-it Ralph? :confused3 Drew is demonstrating how we usually look at night when he wakes us up.

Love the Junior Ranger hat so cute!

:goodvibes

Captain’s Log: Tuesday, 22 July 2014.

12:23 a.m.—Guess who’s awake?

3:07 a.m.—You’ve gotta be kidding me.

6:23 a.m.—Bleh.

6:30 a.m.—Well, I’m not getting any more sleep. How do the kids sleep through that racket, anyway?

8:00 a.m.—We’re still in the room, taking things slow this morning. I think the periodic interruptions of sleep are starting to catch up with us. No free breakfast at Ruby’s, so we’ve had to dig into our precious supplies of Pop Tarts and donuts. The breakfast of champions.

9:00 a.m.—Took a while to get going, but we’ve finally checked out of the hotel and are on our way. We have to re-trace our steps somewhat, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. We get to drive through Red Canyon again, so here’s a better picture of the rock tunnel:

IMG_5695.JPG

10:30 a.m.—Only an hour and a half of driving and we’re already at our next stop!

IMG_5713.JPG

All of the National Park entrance signs are pretty cool, but I think Zion has the coolest one. It feels like you’re entering a special place.

Zion National Park was founded in 1919, and has typically been one of the most popular national parks in America. The park receives close to 3 million visitors each year, most of which typically arrive during (you guessed it!) summer. Due to the overwhelming number of visitors, the park runs a mandatory shuttle bus system on the main road during the summer months. This way they can control both the flow of people into and out of the park as well as reduce the air pollution from all of that traffic.

But before you can use the shuttle bus system, you have to get into the park. We were coming in through the east entrance on the Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway, a civil engineering masterwork of decades gone by. The first stop as you go west into the park is an overlook for Checkerboard Mesa. This is a rock face that has been eroded and weathered over the years in such a fashion that a giant criss-cross pattern has been cut into the stone.

IMG_5714.JPG

Some of you may be wondering what Baby Drew thought of all this. I think he was as awe-inspired by the scenery as we were. Here’s the Drew’s-Eye-View at the Checkerboard Mesa overlook:

IMG_5717.JPG

10:35 a.m.—It’s time to drive the rest of the way into the park. The entrance fee is $25 for 7 days, but I can’t count that total against the annual pass this time. We had already visited the Kolob Canyons portion of the park and the entrance fee there would have also allowed us entrance to this portion of the park. So we remain on our total of $68 saved so far.

The Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway is one of the most spectacular drives I’ve ever seen. We wind our way down through valleys as red rock formations rise higher and higher all around us. The whole landscape is breathtaking, and there’s a sense of adventure with each tunnel we approach on the drive.

IMG_5718.JPG

IMG_5723.JPG

Finally, we reach the entrance to the Zion-Mt. Carmel tunnel, a 1.1-mile tunnel carved through the mountain that will connect us to the main park. It’s here where we get our first taste of the popularity of Zion.

IMG_5724.JPG

The tunnel was built in 1936, when cars were much smaller than they are now. As a result, the park operates it like a one-lane road, with one direction of travel allowed through at a time. So…we wait. As you can probably guess, I’m praying that Dave’s bladder will hold out.

After a few minutes, we get the “all-clear” and start moving. It’s pretty amazing to think workers blasted and dug their way through over a mile of rock so many years ago. Even more impressive, at several points along the tunnel, they carved windows through the rock wall to give drivers a glimpse of the wonders waiting for them in the valley below:

IMG_5726.JPG

After emerging from the tunnel, we are greeting with the full glory of the Valley of Zion National Park before us. If I were quicker on my feet, I would have cued up some sort of dramatic entrance music on the iPod to blast away when we exited the tunnel. Maybe next time.

The road winds through many, many switchbacks down the mountain to the valley floor. Looking back, we can see one of the tunnel windows in the rock:
IMG_5731.JPG

We drive slowly through the park, soaking in the views. At the turn for the visitor center, we pull in to discover that the parking lot is completely full. Signs helpfully point us toward additional parking in the town of Springdale, just outside the southern gate.

We head out of the park we just entered and take the first left, bypassing ample shoulder space on the main road and following a sign to “Zion Overflow Parking”. It’s a parking lot next to several shops and a movie theater. There’s a very small sign at the entrance informing me that the fee for parking here is $10 for the day, and could I please pay in the shop next door? Violators will be towed. Naturally, the visitor center parking lot would have been free.

Oh, and Dave has to go to the bathroom. I’m just thankful we made it through the tunnel.

We decide that Dave and I will handle the rip-off parking fee and then find a bathroom while Julie starts making sandwiches for lunch so we can eat before entering the park. By the time everyone finishes lunch, makes a pit stop, etc., it’s after noon and we still haven’t done anything in the National Park. Also, I notice the shoulders on the main road are full of cars parking for free. So, when you visit Zion, don’t make the same mistake I did!

See what I meant earlier? Rope Drop is your friend. Always.

12:05 p.m.—The pedestrian entrance is a nice, wide bridge over the Virgin River. It leads straight to the Visitor Center. They have the same cool entrance signs here.

IMG_5735.JPG

IMG_0579%255B1%255D.JPG

12:25 p.m.—We pick up Junior Ranger booklets for the kids and head to the shuttle bus stop. There’s a big difference in elevation between Bryce Canyon and Zion, and it’s mainly noticeable in the temperature. It’s hot here in the valley. Blazing hot. Boiling lava-melt-off-your-skin-hot. And the buses are not air-conditioned. But they do have the windows propped open. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

We hop off the bus at Zion Lodge, a few stops into the park. Once again, the kids need to attend a Ranger program to get their badge and this looks like the only one we can get to. We’re a little early, so we wander onto the path to the Emerald Pools for a bit.

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_5738.JPG

12:45 p.m.—Before we’ve seen a single Emerald Pool, we decide we need to turn around and head back to the Lodge for the Ranger program. Plus it’s surface-of-the-sun hot and this hike doesn’t offer a lot of shade.

1:00 p.m.—Bad news: the Ranger program takes place outside. No air-conditioning.

Good news: it’s under the shade of the largest tree on the lawn.

Bad news: it’s geared toward very little kids. The program is on the level of, “Can you say the word, ‘prey’?” The kids are rolling their eyes already.

Good news: I can abandon them to the program and wander through the air-conditioned lobby of the Lodge.

IMG_5746.JPG

1:15 p.m.—The program is still going, but I return and let Julie wander. This proves to be a good decision, as she returns several minutes later with ice-cream sandwiches for everyone and a smoothie for herself. This also proves once again that she is a better person than me. But you knew that.

1:45 p.m.—The program is mercifully over, the kids have the Ranger’s sign-off, and we can move on. We all pile back onto the shuttle to ride further into the canyon. A recorded narration plays as we ride along, making me hope to hear something like, “Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas”, but no such luck.

2:15 p.m.—We’ve ridden the bus all the way back to the very last stop, the Temple of Sinawa. After another pit stop, we begin a hike during the hottest part of the day. Because we are idiots.

2:20 p.m.—But at least the scenery is nice. We’re on a trail called the Riverside Walk, which follows the River for a little over a mile up into the deepest part of Zion Canyon.

IMG_5749.JPG

Before long, we find a nice spot at a bend in the river and ask a fellow hiker to compose a family photo. The result? Well, it’s not bad. But once again, I must regretfully point out that there is no rule that states we have to be in the center of the picture. Just tilt the frame up ever so slightly, and you might even get a mountain in the background!

IMG_5751.JPG

I suppose I should be happy that most of us are smiling.

2:40 p.m.—We come upon a shaded spot with a few rocks to sit on. The canyon wall behind us is actually wet—water is seeping out of the rock itself. This is known as a “weeping rock”. Basically, rain falls on the top of the mesa and seeps into the porous sandy layers up top. It trickles through the mountain as ground water until it hits more impermeable layers further down, where it is then forced out the side of the canyon, giving the wall the appearance that it is “weeping”.

IMG_5758.jpg

It is here that Scotty announces he is too hot and tired and doesn’t want to go any further. I can’t blame him for being hot, but when we ask a hiker coming the other way, she responds that it’s only 5-10 more minutes to the end of the trail. No dice. Scotty wants to stay and rest. So, we make the executive decision that I’ll take one for the team and stay with Scotty and Drew while Julie continues on with Sarah and David.

2:50 p.m.—Apparently they made it.

IMG_5763.jpg

IMG_5765.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

See that bag of Sarah’s? Yes, it’s made of duct tape. And yes, she made it herself.

IMG_5771.JPG

IMG_5773.jpg

The trail dead-ends at the river, where the kids are happy to cool off in the water. If we hadn’t had the baby or a whiny 8-year-old with us, it would have been really cool to continue on. That’s right, you can actually continue hiking into the river here. Walking down the river leads to a section of the canyon called The Narrows, which looks like one of the best hikes ever. You have to check with the rangers in the morning for the weather forecast and permission to go, but if there are no potential flash floods, you can get into parts of the canyon that look like this.

2:54 p.m.—Meanwhile, after much grunting and straining, Baby Drew poops. Thanks, kid. Now I have to change you on a rock.

Also, Scotty decides he really does want to go on now. I tell him it’s too late. I don’t mean to be harsh, but I figure the others are already on their way back by now. And I also want to teach him that when you quit on something, you miss out.

3:00 p.m.—We meet up with Sarah, David and Julie and they rave about how wonderful the end of the trail was, which I’m sure makes Scotty feel better. You snooze, you lose, buddy. Is that too mean?

3:15 p.m.—On the way back, we stop at the same bend in the river. Here’s what we were going for.

IMG_5776.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

Julie took this shot to give a sense of the scale of the canyon.

IMG_5780.jpg

3:45 p.m.—We’re back on the bus, exhausted, hot, and all of our water and Gatorade we’re carrying has warmed up to the same 100-degree temperature as the outside air. Blech.

We’d planned a couple other stops and hikes, but due to the heat and our sheer exhaustion, we’ve decided to sit and ride all the way back to the visitor center. The shuttle bus is a little frustrating in that you can’t just stop wherever you want to take a picture. It feels very limited. Also, due to the nature of the road and the valley, it feels like you’re really only getting a small glimpse of the grandeur of the park by sticking to the shuttle system. To experience Zion, you really need to get out and hike it, and we’ve tried but conditions have made it hard to go on.

But don’t worry. We’re not finished with Zion yet. We just need a break.

Coming Up Next: Much-needed food. And a much-needed swimming pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter