The bar is there for a reason- grocery shopping vent- long

2bemarried said:
Okay.....I have to ask this question....is North Carolina the ONLY state where the cashiers remove the food items from the shopping cart for you?

???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :earseek: Say what??!!! What do you call that? Full service grocery shopping?? :teeth:

luvflorida said:
But, but...I 've always thought it was a NICE thing to do and sort of a common courtesy thing. You know, acknowledging with the bar that I'm done with my groceries and now I'll put the bar behind them and you can put your groceries up now.

I think I'll continue to do it wrong and put the bar behind my groceries because it just seems like the polite thing to do. But, I'll be more understanding now when other people do it differently. :)

That is OK...I sometimes do it as well. No biggie. Did you know that some people DON"T EVEN USE THE BAR!!! Now THAT is annoying.;)

always quiet said:
???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :earseek: Say what??!!! What do you call that? Full service grocery shopping?? :teeth:

:rotfl: You betcha ;)

SHEW....good to know we're not the only ones. Here I was beginning to think that we're weird ;) :banana:

always quiet said:

The way it worked is the basket bottom height was higher than a traditional basket...when you rolled the basket to the checkout and dropped the front of the basket, the checker simply reached in to grab the items and scan them-but that was a store that had another person bagging the groceries-something not seen much anymore.

I usually place the divider before and after my groceries. I often see other shoppers place it at the end of their orders as well as a courtesy.

Now as for the crazy cracker lady: If she said that to me, I would have picked up her crackers and chucked them down the nearest aisle. And if she had any more to say, I would have rammed her with my cart. But hey, that's just me. :confused3

I had forgotten all about that weird cashier-cart unloading thing in the South!! I grew up in Michigan and worked as a cashier in a grocery store for a few years after high school. I remember there was a woman who moved to town from North Carolina that we all dreaded. She would bring her loaded cart into the checkout and just stand there and look at magazines, expecting us to unload it for her. We all just looked at her like she was crazy. :rolleyes: Then after she checked out, she expected someone to follow her out to her car and load her trunk, too. What a whackjob. :crazy:

I never put the bar behind my order, but I do reach up and put it before my order. I wouldn't mind if you reached over and got the bar for your order.

As for the twit in front of you, I hope she sits on a tack! What a piece of work!

Count me as one who takes responsibility for her own bar.

I was on another forum where people were griping about people who put the bar between one anothers' groceries!!! There were several people who found this whole practice insulting as if the cashier & other customers couldn't figure out where one ended and the other began. :confused3 Just goes to show that no matter what you do in life, you're going to offend someone else! :rotfl2:

Rex Rules said:
I don't really get too upset about it, but a couple of months ago, I happened to go through the self check out lane - scanned my stuff, paid and proceeded to the end to bag my stuff, this guy comes up and started scanning his stuffand sending id down the belt. Meanwhile, I was trying to bag my few items as quickly as possible, but here is this stuff coming down the belt at me. I was miffed, to say the least. Finally, I looked up at him and said would it kill you to wait until I was done? He just looked at me like I was from Mars.
Now see.. what you should have done was started throwing his stuff in your bags and yelled "Woohoo! Jackpot! I stuck my money in the machine and all this free food started trucking on down the conveyor belt!"

Disney1fan2002 said:
If there is no bar, then I leave a big space between the orders, and I make a line with my food. The cashier can't miss that it is a new order.
Okay, enquiring minds want to know. How do you do this? Do you pluck the grapes off the little cluster and line them up like soldiers across the front of your food? Do you crack open the bag of sugar, pour a line across the front and dare anyone to cross it? This sounds like fun! Oooo.. those decorative aerasol cans of icing would be most fun at this task - little pink rosettes seperating your groceries :teeth:

Horseshoes said:
Their food comes crashing into mine, dont they see that I am still there with my food? :confused3
Nothing worse than assault with a deadly waffle. :sad2:

always quiet said:
I kind of take this to the next level...not only do I have frozen food or cleaning products together, I put all the boxed goods together as well as all the cans! Can't have these things 'mingling'. God only knows what would come out of the bag at the end! :jumping1:
Yeah, this is just wrong. One time the bag boy put my bananas, a box of graham crackers and my tub of cool whip together in one bag. When I got home those pesky groceries had mingled into a banana cream pie. Don't get me wrong.. it was good, but just wrong on so many levels.

You want to talk crazy.. this morning I was grocery shopping and I was trying to keep said crackers from mingling again. I've adopted a "all crackers must stay at least 5 ft away from the rest of the groceries" policy - because we all know that crackers are the instigators in this whole food mingling fiasco. So I had my crackers waiting on the end of the conveyor belt until it was safe for them to come down when this crazy lady comes out of nowhere and shoves them on down right into the "no cracker" zone. Told her to stop fondling my prepackaged baked goods I did! :teeth: ;)

In all seriousness.. I probably would have told the lady when she told me not to play with her food that I couldn't help it.. it loved me so much that it was just sitting there staring at me refusing to go with her and you didn't want it to suffer from rejection.

MeanLaureen said:
Okay, enquiring minds want to know. How do you do this? Do you pluck the grapes off the little cluster and line them up like soldiers across the front of your food? Do you crack open the bag of sugar, pour a line across the front and dare anyone to cross it? This sounds like fun! Oooo.. those decorative aerasol cans of icing would be most fun at this task - little pink rosettes seperating your groceries

Not grapes. I actually buy a $.99 bag of Army men, and line them up, nothing is getting past them! :rotfl2:

No, if you really need a mind eye picture, I take 3-4 cans, like Mr. Chef Boyardee or sometimes, the Pillsbury Dough Boy does a good job of making a line.

Disney1fan2002 said:
No, if you really need a mind eye picture, I take 3-4 cans, like Mr. Chef Boyardee or sometimes, the Pillsbury Dough Boy does a good job of making a line.

I dunno.. you gotta be careful with the doughboy. One poke in the belly and he is doubled over with the giggles and the next thing you know your crackers are hanging out with someone's corn pads. :teeth:

I place the divider after my groceries if someone gets in line behind me. I just like to give the premise that I'm friendly. ;) If the person in front of me doesn't do it, then I reach across and grab it myself. I never really thought much of it.

MeanLaureen said:
I dunno.. you gotta be careful with the doughboy. One poke in the belly and he is doubled over with the giggles and the next thing you know your crackers are hanging out with someone's corn pads. :teeth:

Well, as long as he protects my crackers from being "played" with, I could cut him some slack! :teeth:

I really appreciate it when the person in front of me put the bar up after their groceries since I am not usually able to reach it if it is left up on the holder. I really get tired of asking for things all the time it is a little humiliating to say the least. So if you think about it put the bar after your groceries especially if there is a "little" person behind you.
tigercat

Horseshoes said:
Well one of the things that annoys me is at the self check out, when people start scanning their groceries before I have finished bagging mine.

Their food comes crashing into mine, dont they see that I am still there with my food? :confused3

Start bagging it with your stuff! :rotfl:

KimR said:
I've always assumed it was the responsiblity of the next person in line to place the bar on the conveyer belt prior to loading their groceries. I don't think I have ever had the person in front of me put the bar on the belt. I usually do it myself and don't think twice about it. Nor do I ever put the bar after my groceries so I've probably annoyed a heck of a lot of people who think it should be my job!

Me too. I never put the bar down. If I see that they aren't in reach, I'll slide them down. If I'm in line and I can't reach them, I ask the person in front of me. It's never bothered me in the least.

MeanLaureen said:
You want to talk crazy.. this morning I was grocery shopping and I was trying to keep said crackers from mingling again. I've adopted a "all crackers must stay at least 5 ft away from the rest of the groceries" policy - because we all know that crackers are the instigators in this whole food mingling fiasco. So I had my crackers waiting on the end of the conveyor belt until it was safe for them to come down when this crazy lady comes out of nowhere and shoves them on down right into the "no cracker" zone. Told her to stop fondling my prepackaged baked goods I did! :teeth: ;)

OMG! Was that you! You didn't see the divider right in front of you, but you were quick to notice me stroking your box of crackers, weren't you! :teeth:

Honestly, I still can't believe she told me she would prefer it if I didn't play with her food! She didn't have a coronary when the cashier picked up her crackers, but I did notice she was helping the bagger bag her groceries. I should have offered to carry her crackers out to her car! :rotfl: :rotfl:

tigercat said:
I really appreciate it when the person in front of me put the bar up after their groceries since I am not usually able to reach it if it is left up on the holder. I really get tired of asking for things all the time it is a little humiliating to say the least. So if you think about it put the bar after your groceries especially if there is a "little" person behind you.
tigercat

That may be the probelm with me. I'm only 5 feet tall, (or short, however you want to look at it), and it's hard to grab that sucker without touching someone else's stuff!

I've always considered it the first person's responsibility to put the bar there. I always put it behind my groceries for the next person, and I expect the person in front of me to do the same. It always bugs me when they don't do it. :)

Rhonda said:
I've always considered it the first person's responsibility to put the bar there. I always put it behind my groceries for the next person, and I expect the person in front of me to do the same. It always bugs me when they don't do it. :)

Yes, Yes! See, it isn't just me!!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter