The bar is there for a reason- grocery shopping vent- long

Tigger&Belle said:
Could be worse--she could have squished your break with her pretties... :teeth: ;)

Miss Fancy......is that you? :rotfl2:

Yes, it's me! And how is my Snoopy Woopy doing today? Looks like tomorrow is going to be a wainy day. I need to go find my puppy's little rain boots so he doesn't get his little footies wet. Toodleloo!

luvflorida said:
THEN when she made the rude comment about playing with her food, I really tweaked out!!! :crazy:

That would have gotten to me, too! You should have told her that with that attitude that's the closest she's going to get to anybody playing with any of her sweet little possessions.

luvflorida said:
Because if I've been doing it wrong my entire shopping life, then I need to rethink this whole thing!

Sorry, but yes, you have been doing it wrong. LOL. I have never expected the person in front of me to place the bar after their food. If I want the bar, and it is too far for me to reach, I will politely ask the person if they can reach it for me. They hand it to me, I say "thank you" and I place the bar where I feel comfortable putting it. Some people may want a littl bit of space between their order and the person in front of them. I, on the other hand, am never asked for the bar, because I do automatically set it down for the person behind me, and they ALWAYS say thank you. So it is not anything they expect, either.

If there is no bar, then I leave a big space between the orders, and I make a line with my food. The cashier can't miss that it is a new order.

Life is too short to be bothered by these things. Now, go find some more crackers to fondle. :teeth:

Tigger&Belle said:
That would have gotten to me, too! You should have told her that with that attitude that's the closest she's going to get to anybody playing with any of her sweet little possessions.

Haha! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I mean really, how do you 'play' with a box of crackers. It wouldn't have been as bad if she had just said she'd prefer I didn't 'touch' her food. Still rude, but not as weird.

Disney1fan2002 said:
I, on the other hand, am never asked for the bar, because I do automatically set it down for the person behind me, and they ALWAYS say thank you. So it is not anything they expect, either.

Life is too short to be bothered by these things. Now, go find some more crackers to fondle. :teeth:

I am never asked for the bar either because I always thought it was common courtesy to place the bar after my groceries. Sometimes I get a thank you and sometimes the person doesn't even acknowledge it.

Ha! Ha! I'll probably never look at a box of crackers in the same way again! I wonder what she would have said or done if I had used her box of crackers as the dividing bar? :teeth:

Well one of the things that annoys me is at the self check out, when people start scanning their groceries before I have finished bagging mine.

Their food comes crashing into mine, dont they see that I am still there with my food? :confused3

Okay, now, granted. Supermarkets here are only six aisles or so, all very narrow and close to each other (too narrow for carts), and the checkout conveyor belts are small and short and you never have to do the super-lunge to get the bar. I saw a Target in Minnesota where there were so many checkout aisles I couldn't even see them all, they disappeared into the horizon, and they were all huge. Okay, granted. I usually just leave a lot of space before I put up my stuff. I figure that's the purpose of the bar, right, to differentiate my food from the guy in front of me? I just assume that leaving a lot of space serves the same purpose.

luvflorida said:
Am I also the only person who feels that the person who finishes putting their groceries on the counter is the one who should be courteous and place it AFTER their groceries as opposed to the next person in line putting the bar in FRONT of their own groceries?

Because if I've been doing it wrong my entire shopping life, then I need to rethink this whole thing! :teeth:

You are doing it wrong. YOU put the bar AFTER someone's groceries.

The Mystery Machine said:

Wait, am I imagining this right? I thought that you were supposed to do the bar first, behind the groceries of the guy in front of you in line, and before your own? I don't think it ever occured to me to put the bar on the conveyor after my stuff, before the guy behind me. That's his job. No?

Rex Rules said:
I always go ahead and just put the plastic or wooden bar up, even if no one is behind me.

I don't really get too upset about it, but a couple of months ago, I happened to go through the self check out lane - scanned my stuff, paid and proceeded to the end to bag my stuff, this guy comes up and started scanning his stuffand sending id down the belt. Meanwhile, I was trying to bag my few items as quickly as possible, but here is this stuff coming down the belt at me. I was miffed, to say the least. Finally, I looked up at him and said would it kill you to wait until I was done? He just looked at me like I was from Mars.

I also like to have all the refrigerated items together and so on - like items like pet food, cleaning items I also like to keep together, but I am crazy and OCD and I know it.
I can handle putting the bar up in front or behind, it is the stinking rude people that drive me bananas, you know the ones, the ones that act like they are the only ones that count and you should be getting out of their way.

I want to go shopping with you!!! I also have that need to put similar items together, (frozen foods, toiletries, etc.).

And I'm still laughing to myself about your "would it kill you to wait until I was done?" comment. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The Mystery Machine said:

But, but...I 've always thought it was a NICE thing to do and sort of a common courtesy thing. You know, acknowledging with the bar that I'm done with my groceries and now I'll put the bar behind them and you can put your groceries up now.

I think I'll continue to do it wrong and put the bar behind my groceries because it just seems like the polite thing to do. But, I'll be more understanding now when other people do it differently. :)

By the time my stuff is on the belt, it takes up all of it and I'm at the counter watching it ring up (yes, I'm a watcher! I want to make sure it's all right!) and I'm not about to go back to the end to put the divider down once the cashier starts ringing it all up and makes space. THe person behind me is perfectly capable of picking one up.

Now, if I just have a few items and someone is behind me, sure I'll put the bar behind my stuff as well.

Caradana said:
Wait, am I imagining this right? I thought that you were supposed to do the bar first, behind the groceries of the guy in front of you in line, and before your own? I don't think it ever occured to me to put the bar on the conveyor after my stuff, before the guy behind me. That's his job. No?

Right, and yes.

Okay.....I have to ask this question....is North Carolina the ONLY state where the cashiers remove the food items from the shopping cart for you?

This fascinates me. I don't know why...it just does. I've lived here ALL my life, so when I visit my in-laws in Michigan I'm amazed that NONE of the grocery stores have the cashiers removing the items from the cart, you have to put it all in and then get it all back out.

No, the Kroger here in Texas does that. Since I only moved here in April I was so happy that I don't have to unload the groceries anymore.

luvflorida said:
I want to go shopping with you!!! I also have that need to put similar items together, (frozen foods, toiletries, etc.).
I do this, more or less, too. For a reasons. When I had my first baby (we're talking almost 18 years ago) we lived in an apartment. I would take the baby with me and carry any frozen food, quickly go back for any food that went in the fridge and then wait until I was able to go back for the rest.

Now I have lots of eager (eager my foot!) helpers carrying in and putting away groceries. If I have the frozen stuff together in a bag there is a greater likelyhood of them all being putting awat before they defrost on my counter. Otherwise there will be a couple frozen items that will be forgotten, in a bag of non-perishables. Often I'm unloading groceries and then rushing out the door to bring one of my kids somewhere (or just rushing out the door because my kids are driving me crazy ;) ). I put my kids in charge of putting the stuff away, and you know how that can go.

And the final reason is that I tend to be a little OCD with things like groceries and how my dishwasher is loaded. :rotfl: I'll have to say, though, that I don't usually group all the cat food cans together, toiletries, etc. Just the stuff that goes in the fridge and freezer.

luvflorida said:

I kind of take this to the next level...not only do I have frozen food or cleaning products together, I put all the boxed goods together as well as all the cans! Can't have these things 'mingling'. God only knows what would come out of the bag at the end! :jumping1:

2bemarried said:
Okay.....I have to ask this question....is North Carolina the ONLY state where the cashiers remove the food items from the shopping cart for you?

Our city once had a grocery store chain that the cashier's did this,,,no longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter