The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

And I bet it is more touristy than when I went through there in the late 90s as well.
Undoubtedly. And far more $$$ too.

I used to do the same thing. In the 80s. :lmao:

My body rebels at this anymore. Tougher and tougher to be sure.

Nope. I'd go to sleep dirty.

I wasn't sure when my next shower would be so had to try.

OK, this answers my question. It's not something that Fran would be able to do.

No, I'm afraid not.

I'm not a huge fan of regulations, but :wave: on the vertigo. I wouldn't get that close to the edge though.

I'm still a good 15-20 feet from the edge so wasn't as close as it looks. I didn't dare get closer!!

What road did you take?

98 to 160 to 163. :)

X is for: eXceptionally eXtraordinary Evening

"I have been to the end of the earth, I have been to the end of the waters, I have been to the end of the sky, I have been to the end of the mountains, I have found none that are not my friends." -Navajo Proverb.

I have wondered at many places around the world, but there have been few that have been as truly as mesmerizing as the slot canyons we’d come from. The land of Arizona has many jewels that make up her crown and it was time to gaze at a few more. Taking Hwy 98 from Page, we passed through Kaibito until it intersected with Hwy 160 where we turned north until we reached Kayenta on Hwy 163. I could not help myself from stopping often to take a photo of the grandeur of the landscape. Monoliths rose out of sparsely vegetated earth, standing proudly over the people who live there. Small homesteads, each with a round hogan facing East where one could greet the rising sun, dotted the clay red and sage green vistas. We passed very few other cars on our 2-hour drive into our wayside stop adding to the loneliness of this road less traveled.

The timestamp on my photo shows that we arrived at our restaurant for lunch at 2:51. We were hungry as the hotel only provided a sack breakfast and we’d been hiking all morning. We always carried snacks but had been running low and didn’t tend to eat them anyway. Pulling into the Blue Coffee Pot restaurant, I knew instantly we’d have the most authentic dining experience possible. Well, until later that evening. Shaped like a traditional hogan, it was mostly clean and sparsely decorated. This was a place to eat and be full, not one to be pretentious or showy. The décor consisted in its entirety the signature blue coffee pots unceremoniously displayed by the entrance.

We were shown to a table and given some menus, and we each ordered a soft drink that came in a to-go cup.

We perused the selections, and I went with the extremely traditional dish of a Navajo Taco- fry bread topped with pinto beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and onion. Perhaps not the most authentic historically but certainly the most ubiquitous dish served in Northern Arizona on Tribal Lands. Zach ordered an equally common dish, but perhaps more historically traditional- Mutton Stew with tortilla. Both orders were huge, and I ate about 1/3 of mine. Zach seemed to have no problem finishing his though. Stuffed, we waddled out and hit the road.

Within an hour, perhaps less, we arrived at our Airbnb. It took a bit to find our hostess’s yard; attempts to call were largely futile with lack of cell service. After several wrong turns and a bit of hunting and pecking we pulled into a private yard just north of the Arizona-Utah border.

You might be picturing a nice soft bed in a private room with a TV and Netflix.

No.

This was our space for the evening:

The bed was, once again, the back of the car but with the most enchanting view I could possibly imagine. A soft late afternoon breeze was blowing, the rocky monuments towered standing guard over us, and an occasional dog could be heard yapping the in the distance. We got checked in and reminded our hostess we’d pre-ordered a dinner of Navajo Taco (I’d forgotten this when I’d ordered one at lunch but is there really such a thing as too many tacos?). She informed us that she was hosting a birthday party in the yard that evening but that she’d bring our dinner out to us around 7:00. That’d work perfectly. With still hours of daylight left, Zach and I had one more short field trip to make- the Northern section of Monument Valley.

More monoliths rose out of the flat, dusty landscape making for a very mesmerizing panorama. Photo stops on a journey such as this are mandatory. The destination was another overlook similar to Horseshoe Bend, this one aptly named, Goosenecks State Park.

Behold:

The water is not blue as there is no dam to hold the natural silts back, but the bends are tighter giving it, in my opinion, a more striking presentation. The park is FAR less touristy and you are even allowed to camp right there at the escarpment’s edge. It will cost about $20 to enter and park, but in total there were only about 10 or 12 cars and campers there. I remember in 1986 I drove to this site and it was free to just pull up and camp. Which I did. I slept on the edge (at a safe distance) with a grand vista at my feet- a night I’ll never forget. We snapped some photos and spent about 30 minutes enjoying the area before we headed back in the direction we’d come from towards our camp for the night.

Enroute, we passed a landmark called Mexican Hat. Easy to see how it got its name:

I’d specifically chosen to camp in Monument Valley so I could try my hand at night photography. Sadly, I had a headache brewing most of the day. Perhaps I was dehydrated, maybe not enough coffee, being on the road so long, or not enough sleep, but by the time we’d gotten back to Roberta’s place it was pretty bad and dusk was growing. Zach and I rolled out our bags and I gathered my tripod and gear anxious to make it out to a place with an unspoiled view of the nearest monument but just wasn’t feeling well. I don’t use my tripod often at all but there is no way to get night sky shots without one. As I tried to get situated it was really dark and I fumbled trying to juggle my phone flashlight, having to pee, and with a headache so bad at that point I was getting sick. Unfortunately, it was also very obvious that the classic Milky Way shots weren’t going to materialize anytime before like 2:00AM. With a heavy heart, I gave up and started the walk back.

If you’ve never been out on a very flat, extremely sparsely populated area you know how easy it is to get turned around. I could see lights off in the distance, but I had no idea really which homestead to aim for. I tried to navigate by landmarks I’d seen on my way out and somehow with sheer dumb luck, but no small amount of anxiety, I made it back to the correct yard. Coyotes started to yip, the stars were out, and the moon gave just enough light to cast shadows making for a stunning evening.

By the time I got back around 8:30 dinner had still not arrived so I called the hostess. She said she was coming back home soon from delivering a few of the guests back to their homes after the party and would bring it over soon. By this time though, I didn’t even care. I just needed to sleep for fear my head would explode. About 9:00, she did bring out 2 huge Navajo Tacos. Zach ate his happily, and I left mine thinking I could eat it the next day.

I did fall asleep quickly again, but around 11:00 something woke me up. At first it was distant, indistinct, faint, and haunting. Rhythmic, like a song… WAIT!! That can’t be!

It was!!!!

Coming from an unknown place off in the distance it became clearer, and it dawned on me that we were hearing Native drumming presumably from some circle, perhaps as a celebration for the birthday we’d seen being celebrated just earlier. It was perhaps one of the most amazing, cool cultural experiences I have ever gotten to encounter outside of those I’d seen in Central Asia. I sat up to see the Monuments’ silhouettes visible out the back of the car, looked up to marvel at God’s Masterpiece in the sky, and listen to drumming and chanting before falling back to sleep.

A sample should you be curious:

The bright sun woke us early as it cleared the horizon signaling the time for us to pack up and go. Apparently, the dogs needed to “go” too and left us a nice little parting gift. I guess in dogspeak we should have been flattered as this cute little guy had been doing the hard work of guarding us all night long. He was still at his station when we woke up, but with a good-bye pat we drove off leaving this incredibly unique, unforgettable night behind us.

Last edited:
Awesome recap of your travels through Arizona
Stunning pictures and now I want a taco on fried bread, yummy!
I love Arizona and have spent a lot of time there. My parents lived north of Tucson for over 20 years.
I really miss it! We had the chance to keep their house or sell it and we sold it, now I wish we wouldn’t have.
I hope all is well, did you get your lunch bags I sent? I hope so!

No, that's a Death Valley thing. ;)
:lmao:
Too many. And yet, I'd not want the view spoiled with a fence up either. People and either be stupid and get too close or not.
Call it evolution in action.

:rolleyes:
"I have been to the end of the earth, I have been to the end of the waters, I have been to the end of the sky, I have been to the end of the mountains, I have found none that are not my friends." -Navajo Proverb.
I like that. :)
IMG_5547-L.jpg
I'm not going to comment on all your amazing photos... but just wanted to say that monument valley has been on my bucket list for a while... and I greedily absorbed each and every photo. I'll point out my fave (maybe?) when I get to it in the narrative...
Taking Hwy 98 from Page, we passed through Kaibito until it intersected with Hwy 160 where we turned north until we reached Kayenta on Hwy 163.
Thanks for that... now I know where to go if/when. :)
Small homesteads, each with a round hogan facing East
I had to Google "hogan"... now I know. :)
Pulling into the Blue Coffee Pot restaurant, I knew instantly we’d have the most authentic dining experience possible. Well, until later that evening.
I like the sound of the place already.
it was mostly clean
Um... "mostly"??
I don't need a place to be sterile spotless, but... Just what do you mean, here???
This was a place to eat and be full, not one to be pretentious or showy.
Perfect. I like it more and more.
Oh! Those kind of blue pots! I've seen those. Heck... you can still buy them.
We were shown to a table and given some menus
mmm... I see a lot of things on there that I'd eat. ::yes::
Perhaps not the most authentic historically but certainly the most ubiquitous dish served in Northern Arizona on Tribal Lands.
Well, if it's ubiquitous, that makes it pretty authentic. It might not be traditional, though... but nothing really is anymore.
Zach ordered an equally common dish, but perhaps more historically traditional- Mutton Stew with tortilla.
That one caught my eye too.
Wow that looks good! Having compared the two photos... I might pick this one over the mutton... but man... can I try both??? :laughing:
we pulled into a private yard just north of the Arizona-Utah border.
Oh! So right smack dab in the middle of monument valley!
You might be picturing a nice soft bed in a private room with a TV and Netflix.

No.

Umm... there is a distinct lack of the fist "B" at this BnB........
Did you get 50% off?
A soft late afternoon breeze was blowing, the rocky monuments towered standing guard over us, and an occasional dog could be heard yapping the in the distance
That sounds... wonderful. Truly.
We got checked in and reminded our hostess we’d pre-ordered a dinner of Navajo Taco (I’d forgotten this when I’d ordered one at lunch but is there really such a thing as too many tacos?)
Whoops!
But... maybe not. :laughing:
With still hours of daylight left, Zach and I had one more short field trip to make- the Northern section of Monument Valley.
I Googled where you went. Not too far astray. :)
This one. I love this photo. It's... iconic. I'd love to get a similar shot some day.
The destination was another overlook similar to Horseshoe Bend, this one aptly named, Goosenecks State Park.
If you hadn't said that, I would've assumed you accidentally reposted shots from the previous day!
the bends are tighter giving it, in my opinion, a more striking presentation.
Definitely striking. Amazing.
you are even allowed to camp right there at the escarpment’s edge.
Just watch your step when you get up in the middle of the night to pee!
I slept on the edge (at a safe distance)
See previous comment. :rolleyes:
Enroute, we passed a landmark called Mexican Hat. Easy to see how it got its name:
That's cool!
Sadly, I had a headache brewing most of the day. Perhaps I was dehydrated, maybe not enough coffee, being on the road so long, or not enough sleep, but by the time we’d gotten back to Roberta’s place it was pretty bad and dusk was growing.
:( Sorry to hear that.
As I tried to get situated it was really dark and I fumbled trying to juggle my phone flashlight, having to pee, and with a headache so bad at that point I was getting sick.
:( That doesn't sound good at all. Just too much.
With a heavy heart, I gave up and started the walk back.
Sorry that didn't pan out for you.
If you’ve never been out on a very flat, extremely sparsely populated area you know how easy it is to get turned around. I could see lights off in the distance, but I had no idea really which homestead to aim for. I tried to navigate by landmarks I’d seen on my way out and somehow with sheer dumb luck, but no small amount of anxiety, I made it back to the correct yard.
:scared:
How bad was that? Were you starting to panic or more just annoyed?
Pretty shot.
That full moon would've made star photos pretty impossible, I would think.
By the time I got back around 8:30 dinner had still not arrived so I called the hostess. She said she was coming back home soon from delivering a few of the guests back to their homes after the party and would bring it over soon.
And... a promised (and I presume paid for) meal that arrives hours late... not cool.
By this time though, I didn’t even care. I just needed to sleep for fear my head would explode.
Did you not have some Tylenol along with you? I usually carry some when travelling.
Glad to see (vaguely) that you're still smiling, albeit with a headache.
Coming from an unknown place off in the distance it became clearer, and it dawned on me that we were hearing Native drumming presumably from some circle, perhaps as a celebration for the birthday we’d seen being celebrated just earlier. It was perhaps one of the most amazing, cool cultural experiences I have ever gotten to encounter outside of those I’d seen in Central Asia.
Oh, wow. Truly a magical experience.
I sat up to see the Monuments’ silhouettes visible out the back of the car, looked up to marvel at God’s Masterpiece in the sky, and listen to drumming and chanting before falling back to sleep.
:cloud9:
Apparently, the dogs needed to “go” too and left us a nice little parting gift.
Wait... they peed on your suitcases???

Awesome recap of your travels through Arizona
Stunning pictures and now I want a taco on fried bread, yummy!

Mmm!! so good!
I love Arizona and have spent a lot of time there. My parents lived north of Tucson for over 20 years.
I really miss it! We had the chance to keep their house or sell it and we sold it, now I wish we wouldn’t have.

It's absolutely gorgeous here with sunny skies and hardly any frost even. Just love it!
I hope all is well, did you get your lunch bags I sent? I hope so!
I was sure I'd sent a little note, but I fear I didn't. :( Thank you so much for sending those my way! I love them as lunch sacks! :)

I'm amazed that you found your AirBNB, especially at night the second time. Your view is fantastic.

Me too! LOL!! WE just kept making wrong turns and eventually found it. I confess I was getting a skooch bit nervous when I could see lights off in teh distance but had no idea which yard was ours. And then I thought about Cougars and ... well I didn't waste any time.
That is very gross. Maybe your guard dog was hoping that you would feed him.

Very. And I'm sure she was!!

Love this classic Western shot.

This was a place to eat and be full, not one to be pretentious or showy.

My kinda place!

Hmm...seems a bit...dusty.

We got checked in and reminded our hostess we’d pre-ordered a dinner of Navajo Taco (I’d forgotten this when I’d ordered one at lunch but is there really such a thing as too many tacos?).

All those tacos and beans and you forced your son to share car space with you? That feels like a violation of the 8th Amendment.

Lovely! Another spot we didn't quite get to.

Man, that's gorgeous too.

Unfortunately, it was also very obvious that the classic Milky Way shots weren’t going to materialize anytime before like 2:00AM. With a heavy heart, I gave up and started the walk back.

Dang. Sorry it didn't work out.

Coming from an unknown place off in the distance it became clearer, and it dawned on me that we were hearing Native drumming presumably from some circle, perhaps as a celebration for the birthday we’d seen being celebrated just earlier. It was perhaps one of the most amazing, cool cultural experiences I have ever gotten to encounter outside of those I’d seen in Central Asia. I sat up to see the Monuments’ silhouettes visible out the back of the car, looked up to marvel at God’s Masterpiece in the sky, and listen to drumming and chanting before falling back to sleep.

Hey, cool! Maybe a little inconsiderate at 11:00 p.m., but still kinda cool.

Oh man. That's just wrong! I guess he thought you guys were a threat to his territory.

I'm not going to comment on all your amazing photos... but just wanted to say that monument valley has been on my bucket list for a while... and I greedily absorbed each and every photo. I'll point out my fave (maybe?) when I get to it in the narrative...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's such a desolate, yet unbelievably beautiful place to visit.
Thanks for that... now I know where to go if/when. :)
You are very welcome!

Um... "mostly"??
I don't need a place to be sterile spotless, but... Just what do you mean, here???
Well..... it wasn't Victoria and Alberts. LOL!
Oh! Those kind of blue pots! I've seen those. Heck... you can still buy them.

Yes, you can!!! Owned a few in my lifetime.

Not fancy but filling and hearty.

Well, if it's ubiquitous, that makes it pretty authentic. It might not be traditional, though... but nothing really is anymore.

Very true, I believe that in fact, the "ham ad eggs" was actually SPAM and eggs.

It's a solid menu with lots of old fashioned diner faves.

Wow that looks good! Having compared the two photos... I might pick this one over the mutton... but man... can I try both??? :laughing:

You'd leave (o)ver(l)y full I think. ;)

Oh! So right smack dab in the middle of monument valley!

Yep, doesn't get more central!
Umm... there is a distinct lack of the fist "B" at this BnB........
Did you get 50% off?

Technically there was neither bed NOR breakfast. :laughing:
I Googled where you went. Not too far astray. :)

Nope, and the lovely drive made it seem even shorter.

This one. I love this photo. It's... iconic. I'd love to get a similar shot some day.

I always see them in landscape websites or such so I was happy to snag a few of my own this trip.

If you hadn't said that, I would've assumed you accidentally reposted shots from the previous day!

The Goosenecks is more sinuous and the water is definitely more turbid. I like them more.

Just watch your step when you get up in the middle of the night to pee!
I bet FAR fewer fall at this one though.
Sorry that didn't pan out for you.

Oh well. :( Maybe someday.

:scared:
How bad was that? Were you starting to panic or more just annoyed?

I was just skirting the edge of panicked. I mean, I could have knocked on any door I'd gotten to and they'd point me the right way, but distances are deceiving in landscapes like that.
Pretty shot.
That full moon would've made star photos pretty impossible, I would think.

You are likely right. I'm 0/2 now on Milky Way shots. :(
And... a promised (and I presume paid for) meal that arrives hours late... not cool.

They definitely operate on an entirely different concept of "on time" there.
Did you not have some Tylenol along with you? I usually carry some when travelling.

OH I did, and took it too. But when I get a HA that bad the only thing that really helps is sleep.
Glad to see (vaguely) that you're still smiling, albeit with a headache.

It was still a pretty cool evening despite.
Wait... they peed on your suitcases???

Yes, she did. Marking her spot? saying "I like you."? Who knows, but yuck.

Love this classic Western shot.

I almost need to turn on some Aaron Copland now.
My kinda place!

It's like the Waffle House of the Res.
Hmm...seems a bit...dusty.

It was definitely a no frills place. The shower was... interesting.
All those tacos and beans and you forced your son to share car space with you? That feels like a violation of the 8th Amendment.

I have no idea. I can neither confirm nor deny that the Tylenol I took had some hydrocodone in it for the headache.

Lovely! Another spot we didn't quite get to.

I hope you get to spend more time in that area. There's just so darn much to see!
Man, that's gorgeous too.

Thanks!
Dang. Sorry it didn't work out.

Such a shame. I'm 0/2 now with night shot attempts.
Hey, cool! Maybe a little inconsiderate at 11:00 p.m., but still kinda cool.

I think for the most part time is less exact or watched than in our culture.
Oh man. That's just wrong! I guess he thought you guys were a threat to his territory.
I honestly didn't know whether it was a "Hey, get off my lawn!" or a "Hey, I like you; let me show you how much!" sort of message.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's such a desolate, yet unbelievably beautiful place to visit.
Okay! Okay! You've sold me!
Well..... it wasn't Victoria and Alberts. LOL!
:laughing:
Nothing is. ;)
Not fancy but filling and hearty.
I'll take filling and hearty over fancy and starving.
Very true, I believe that in fact, the "ham ad eggs" was actually SPAM and eggs.
Um... FALSE ADVERTISING! I demand a refund or I'll refund the food onto the floor!

Actually... I kinda don't mind SPAM. :laughing:
You'd leave (o)ver(l)y full I think. ;)
Nah. I'd take two doggy bags.
Technically there was neither bed NOR breakfast. :laughing:
You didn't get brekkie either?!?!!?
I always see them in landscape websites or such so I was happy to snag a few of my own this trip.
I bet! And yes, that's a fairly well exposed bit of real estate. ::yes::
Doesn't make it any less breathtaking.
I bet FAR fewer fall at this one though.
Why? Because fewer people? Or the edge is better defined? Or...?
I was just skirting the edge of panicked. I mean, I could have knocked on any door I'd gotten to and they'd point me the right way, but distances are deceiving in landscapes like that.
Oh dear. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you survived.
You are likely right. I'm 0/2 now on Milky Way shots. :(
Third time's the charm?
They definitely operate on an entirely different concept of "on time" there.
you don't say. :sad2:

It's not often the clouds cooperate in such a fantastic way when you really need them to for better-than-average shots.
Those are MUCH better than average!!!
Word to the wise: Go. There are no facilities on the tour. Not even any facilitrees.
But there are big rocks. They are just as good as trees.
Suffice to say, Zach and I lingered taking copious shots because every bend we rounded had just as stunning a view as the last. There is no way anyone seeing this canyon couldn’t be struck by the artistry and “Signature” given.
Such beautiful scenery! And pictures!
I’d specifically chosen to camp in Monument Valley so I could try my hand at night photography. Sadly, I had a headache brewing most of the day. Perhaps I was dehydrated, maybe not enough coffee, being on the road so long, or not enough sleep
Oh no... looks like it was an incredible place to stay. I'm sorry you weren't feeling up to being able to fully enjoy it.
Sounds incredible! Maybe a little more enjoyable if you aren't suffering from exhaustion and a headache, but special nonetheless.
Apparently, the dogs needed to “go” too and left us a nice little parting gift.
:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: Oh no...

Okay! Okay! You've sold me!

... my work here is done.

I'll take filling and hearty over fancy and starving.

Me too! Although once in a while I do enjoy a really fancy meal with excellent food. I was fondly thinking back to the meal at Takumi Tei the other day and realized I haven't done "fancy" in quite some time".

Actually... I kinda don't mind SPAM. :laughing:

(me too)
Nah. I'd take two doggy bags.
Truth be told, the tacos aren't good at all leftover.

You didn't get brekkie either?!?!!?

Airbnb seems to be a bit of a misnomer as I've NEVER had one that's served breakfast.

I bet! And yes, that's a fairly well exposed bit of real estate. ::yes::
Doesn't make it any less breathtaking.

Tis' true!

Why? Because fewer people? Or the edge is better defined? Or...?

The edge has a bit of ledge so a fall wouldn't be very unless you were pushed HARD.
Oh dear. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you survived.

I did!
Third time's the charm?

I am not sure I honestly have the skill. Maybe someday I can take a class or something.

Those are MUCH better than average!!!

It was pretty great being treated to a cooperative sky!
But there are big rocks. They are just as good as trees.

Heck, my kids had to made due with sand dunes for most of their growing up.

Such beautiful scenery! And pictures!

Thanks, Andy!

Oh no... looks like it was an incredible place to stay. I'm sorry you weren't feeling up to being able to fully enjoy it.

It was still magical but I think by this time the travel was starting to catch up to me. We'd been going full bore and still have DAYS to go.

Sounds incredible! Maybe a little more enjoyable if you aren't suffering from exhaustion and a headache, but special nonetheless.

I was happy the headache was gone by morning and I could wake up in that beautiful place and savor the memory we'd made. I was sad to have not gotten my Milky Way Photos, but maybe I'll try again in another place someday.

Oh yes. :( LOL!

Me too! Although once in a while I do enjoy a really fancy meal with excellent food. I was fondly thinking back to the meal at Takumi Tei the other day and realized I haven't done "fancy" in quite some time".
::yes:: I remember that. :)
Truth be told, the tacos aren't good at all leftover.
I learn so much on your TRs!
Airbnb seems to be a bit of a misnomer as I've NEVER had one that's served breakfast.
Ah! so not a BnB but an Airbnb... and yes, I get that.
The edge has a bit of ledge so a fall wouldn't be very unless you were pushed HARD.
ah!
I am not sure I honestly have the skill. Maybe someday I can take a class or something.
So.... unless you have specialized equipment... (a polar aligned rotator on a tripod) you won't get those stunning milky way shots you see from time to time. You can't expose a sky shot for more than 30 seconds without noticeable star trails. Even 30 seconds is really pushing it.

Just got all caught up with this.
Your pictures are absolutely stunning! And that doesn't give them enough credit. What an amazingly beautiful place! Thanks so much for sharing.

Wow!!! The scenery and your photos of them are breath taking. The huge formations are very humbling. I love all the shades of colors.

This was a trip of a lifetime.

PS. GB started a trip report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter