The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

I live on the West Coast and our flights don't get there until well into the late afternoon, unless you fly a red eye. I've done that. Once. Anyway, the Alaska non-stop arrives at 3:00 which for me is FAR too late to head to a park.

I get that. I've always thought flying east was so much harder than flying west.

I LOVE this area!!

Me too! It looks a lot better than it used to. Much less of a hodge-podge.

Maria and Enzo's is super intriguing to me and I have finally decided that I want to eat here since in Sept with the kiddos because: A) it's getting better reviews than Bongos and B) it's themed WAY cooler!

It looks amazing in there. Love the decorations.

And while I didn't stay this time, I did pop into Enzo's Hideaway for a peek.

This appeals to me, too. Anything themed for a "secret hideaway" will catch my attention.

Does anyone know? Do the lanterns represent something or anything like the lanterns on the tree in Liberty Square? Just curious...

:confused3

I bet it gets crowded during the regularly scheduled 3:00 PM downpour.

I don't think that downpour is regularly scheduled anymore.

Sigh.... still over 2 months until I get to go back. But not much!

That's going to fly by!

OK, I'm trying to catch up, one update at a time. Just read your Morimoto update. I've never had Bim Bap and never been a huge fan of yellowtail. However in 19 days, I myself will be eating at Morimoto. There will be four of us, so I suspect that we will be sharing a good deal of the dishes so as to try more.

OK time to see what the next page holds while I delay getting my lazy butt out of bed!

OK, one more update down. This particular time it was very annoying for me. Not your fault, but as I mentioned in my previous reply I was delaying the whole dragging my butt out of bed, so I was replying on my phone. And pretty soon, my chrome browser would get hijacked by a Free Walmart Gift card ad. I closed it, opened another and boom! It happened again, I did a whole bunch of stuff that didn't work. So I figured if I just left it there and opened another browser it would leave me alone. Then my browser got hijacked by a YouTube ad. So I gave up and got on with my day, getting dressed, feeding the cats, coffee...

After consulting the interwebs on my computer, I found a suggestion to switch to the Opera browser as they have more security. That has turned out to be a good suggestion and between the phone and computer I finally made it through your A update.

How annoying that rope drop was not indeed rope drop. I'm not even going to try for FoP, we have a set of FP+ for one of our days, so I'll just be happy with that.

One thing that we do not have is plans for lunch on the afternoon that we will be spending at Animal Kingdom! Our first FP+ that day is at 1:20PM, so it might be perfect to grab some Mac n Cheese on the way in and then perhaps before or after our Safari hit up one of those giant Cinnamon rolls. Our dinner that night is at the Boathouse, so I think those little morsels would nicely tide us over until our massive dinner!

I'll have to come back for your B update. Fran wants me to get some work done. The nerve!

Hi Tammie!

So nice to see you again!

Yes, I think every Disney Fan should go at least once to learn about what an innovative, creative guy Walt was. So much imagination and love for progress. Loved it!

I really did want to try Morimotos and honestly would go back but not before I try Home Comin', Maria and Enzo's, the Boathouse, and Enzo's Hideaway. So a little list before I head back there. ;)

As for bars, I will probably try to hit up Jocks most trips but have my eye on Wine Bar George as well. And of course the Edison after 10:00. :)

I'm glad you're still here, Tammie- it's always great to have you visit and yes, I plan to keep writing at least for a while. We shall see....

Flying is on hold until things in my life are a bit more stable. Kinda a rocky patch right now...

there are so many places to try at DS! It has really changed, and not very budget friendly, but better offerings.
I'm sorry for your stress. Hope things smooth out soon. I just started your PTR and I saw that you have a grandson on the way! Congratulations! Another trip to Guam in your future?

I agree that DTD is a great way to start the trip. We have always done that as well except for on our "first" trip in 2007 when we stayed at WL and hot MK instead.

Just wanted to let you know I am still reading :) We had internet problems and it just started working regularly yesterday so I have a lot of catching up to do.

A is for: Animal Kingdom Saunterings

Rumor has it that Animal Kingdom opens before the scheduled park opening. I can’t speak for every day, but it has certainly been true the last couple of trips there for me. So I planned to be there before Rope Drop. That way I’d be sure to get an early morning ride on FOP. YAY me for getting out of bed at 7:00 so I could be one of the first in. With my coffee firmly in hand, I arrived just in time to see the tapstiles wide open and a 2-hour line for FOP. My Annoyance O’Meter was rising. Again. Sigh…. I resigned to ride Navi since I had a FiP for FOP (I kinda like the way that sounds… “a FiP for FOP”, you never know, could be the next rap song hit) at 9:05. My plan HAD been to RD FOP, then ride Navi, then use my FiP for FOP. Ah well, the best laid plans… ARE SCREWED UP BY DISNEY!

Nevertheless, I enjoyed my ride through It’s a Small Planet (thank you @Terra Nova guy ) with Mauvi Navi. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, see my chapter here.

I took my time since I was like the only person sauntering through the line and took a bunch of photos. Only a few turned out okay, though.

From the ride itself:

I said good bye to Mauvi Navi shouting a resounding Sivako! in parting and then took my time wandering around Pandora.

One of my favorites from the trip:

I got a requisite wall selfie because, so you know, Pandora affords the BEST wall selfie ops. I can’t remember, but I probably watched a session of the drummers and used the bathroom once. Or maybe 3 or 4 times. I hate how morning coffee cuts into touring time. Keep your getting older comments to yourself.

Somewhere in my Pandora wanderings I ended up over at Sa'tuli Canteen and stumbled upon this guy out for a spin. I need one of these for when the walkways are crowded. Or I need a fireworks viewing spot. Or better yet, when some monster tries to hork your spot that you've been standing in for 45 minutes.

It was entertaining for a short while since I’m not 5. Then again, I’m fairly entertained by The Tiki Room and It’s a Small World, so there’s that. I’m also entertained by sickly sweet $6.00 Disney Slurpees. I’m sure the Boba Balls are responsible for $5.00 price jack. I should make an Animal Kingdom game where you get bonus points if you’re paper straw is still functional before your drink is gone.

Anyway, a bit later on, when I was sure I hadn’t had enough sugar, I headed for Kusafiri’s for some more. I had to try the all-hailed, much raved about, make-sure-not-to-miss-it Cinnamon Roll.

I wasn’t disappointed.

Having close to a religious experience, I sat at a table under the shade of the Dawa Bar stuffing my face with far too much ooey-gooey goodness wondering if one of my fellow Animal Kingdom sojourners would spare me a little insulin if needed. I also contemplated how a Dawa Mary might pair with my already unhealthy breakfast. The notion was short-lived after my Bloody Nose Blowout a few minutes later.

Recovered, I wandered around Africa then used a FiP for a Safari. It was not the best, as I was seated on the wrong side of the bus and got very few usable photos. Ah well. Here are a few that were passable.

On the trail:

It’s not important whether I sauntered the trails before or after my Safari, but what was notable was the gorilla frat boy.

As I was standing there looking for the noble gorillas, out of the bushes this guy comes ambling out.

IMG_8522-L.jpg

He wandered over to a tree, adjusted his toga a few times, then apparently becoming bored tossed it aside and started idly munching on some bamboo. Sorry pal, maybe they’ll provide you a keg next time.

Eventually, I headed over to Asia to take a spin with the Yeti making sure to take some pictures along the way. In no particular order here are a few of the outtakes.

None of them are nearly as delightful as my Animal Kingdom crush- Eight Spoons Mac n Cheese with Sweet Chili Sauce and Shrimp. Curious... Does Ursula frequent this place?

Mmm, so good! The last review I read of this wasn’t very glowing, so I hope the Mac N Cheese Makers aren’t slipping. It was while I was having my little soiree with this delicious dish of carby-ness (which keeps autocorrecting to carbines- STOP. IT!) that I snapped this photo that I used for B is for Birds in the AK Scavenger Hunt Chapter. Sorry. I like it, so I’m putting it in again.

Eventually, I made my way back to Africa, having done a full circuit (skipping Dinoland because it just ain’t my thang) and had to stop for the show with my Homeys. Yes, Dork happens when I am with them. Every time. Maybe I’d look less dorkish after a Dawa Mary.

Well, I didn’t get one, because I was headed to the Nomad for an afternoon rest and snack. But that is for another time, My Friends. I can say that after I hung out at the Nomad, I headed back to POFQ for some pool time and hot tubbing with the tree crusties.

Until next time, peace, love, namaste, sivako, burudika, and all that….

First if all, my apologies for not responding sooner or more. I keep thinking I need to reply when I get to my computer since multiquoting on phone is so difficult and then I find another and another day has passed without getting to my computer.

So with that said, to heck with it, just one long quote/reply...

Great pictures of Pandora. It's just so pretty and so many good places for pictures. I haven't done much with my good camera lately because I was doing rides, but I think I'll be doing a camera day only soon.

Also great pictures of pretty lady. Who knew that selfies could look that good and as if someone else took them. :laughing:

The gorilla...wow...security blanket? Who woulda thunk it?

The picture of the bird's nest is cool.

The cinnamon roll is good.
I like each (there and Gastons) for different reasons.

Gastons is softer and doughier). I was taken aback a bit though by caramel or maple flavoring. While I like both caramel and maple, when I was expecting cinnamon, it was a slight shock.

I like the flavor (or flavour for @pkondz, @Terra Nova guy and @MeghanEmily) of the one at Kusafari better.

Not a boba ball fan, but that drink with the tartness is good.

Last edited:
There hasn't been one trip yet that I haven't started in DTD. It's kinda my thing. Mostly because I'm forced to. Er, I don't mean someone puts a gun to my head and makes me go there, it's just that I live on the West Coast and our flights don't get there until well into the late afternoon, unless you fly a red eye. I've done that. Once. Anyway, the Alaska non-stop arrives at 3:00 which for me is FAR too late to head to a park.

I agree with that, but I also think that even going to DTD is too much work. A lot of times I just have something easy to whip up delivered to my room and fran naps while it bakes in the oven, but lately we have just gone to a close resort restaurant and had a quick bite to eat. Which will be the case 12 days from now! :banana:

DTD gets me in that Disney Groove. I almost always have an ADR there for my arrival night, but other than that, I have zero agenda.

I can understand this. I'm going to kickstart my Disney groove by staying at the VGC this weekend with my besties!

I also popped into the Art of Disney nearby:

Fran loves that store!

I'm not a big clothes buyer either (unless I've been out with @franandaj and @pkondz at DLR :rolleyes2 ),

:laughing:

I do however always hit up Basin and buy a few of these goodies:

I don't think I could use those. Just walking into that store with Jill, got me all fragranced out. I'll just stick with my Village Naturals bath salts.

Further on I found myself in Amorrette's where I confess, I did succumb to a treat... or two. :blush:

I might have to do that after one of dinners there, OK well not Boathouse cuase i love their Whiskey Soaked Corn Cake. So Morimoto.

And while I didn't stay this time, I did pop into Enzo's Hideaway for a peek. One day I'll stick around for a drink and dinner. The over-the-top theming down there screams to Steppe!!

I've heard really good reviews of the food there.

Factoid: I used to play oboe in Jr. and Sr. High school

That explains a lot! :laughing:

on a weekend I really needed some downtime, I didn't.

I'm sorry. :hug:

Feeling a bit better now; at least the headache and upset stomach are a bit better.

Well that's good.

B is for: BEST Browsing

There hasn't been one trip yet that I haven't started in DTD. It's kinda my thing. Mostly because I'm forced to. Er, I don't mean someone puts a gun to my head and makes me go there, it's just that I live on the West Coast and our flights don't get there until well into the late afternoon, unless you fly a red eye. I've done that. Once. Anyway, the Alaska non-stop arrives at 3:00 which for me is FAR too late to head to a park. I have to get up at 2:30AM or so to make that flight so by the time I get there, I'm already feeling like a party pooper- but NOT like Jennifer. That comes after a week of Disney eating:

Finally at a real computer for a change.

ummm...you poop at parties after a week of Disney eating?

No party at my house after your May trip...just sayin'.

Ahem, where was I?
Making me not want to invite you to my house for a party.

While I am too old to handle the hullabaloo of park time after being up so early, I do want to get myself into the Bubble and let the fact that instead of thinking about the possibility of med errors, paper charting, or someone puking on me, I can focus on eating too much, relaxing too much, and spending too much. Besides, every time I've been, up until this trip, it was a burn of a park ticket day for just a few hours.

DTD gets me in that Disney Groove. I almost always have an ADR there for my arrival night, but other than that, I have zero agenda. Except last time, I had 2 things that I wanted to do: buy my AP and see a group I've been wanting to see for a very long time- Nova Era. You've already heard about my AP debacle, and I'll get to Nova Era at the end, but other than those 2 goals, I simply wandered before and after my dinners at Morimoto and the Edison. The following wanderings did indeed happen on 2 separate occasions on this trip. I was so close with the short boat ride, there was really no reason to not go twice.
That makes perfect sense. My problem is there were only about 4 places at DTD I'm interested in. They closed DisneyQuest. Cirque du soleil is closed (although I've heard they're going to open it back up). Lego store is too expensive. Raglan road doesn't tend to let you hang around long if you're not buying anything. I don't like shopping, so not much in DTD that would hold my attention long, but I completely get not wanting to waste a ticket for just a few hours.

Anywho, without further prattling, here are a whole bunch of random photos from my saunterings.
Good..sauntering, not that inferior sashaying stuff. ;)

Not too terribly far into DTD from the Market Place Boat Launch is the Christmas Shop. I think it always has such lovely displays.

Okay, maybe just added another to my "okay, at least there's SOMETHING to do at DTD besides overpriced shopping". Oh wait, it's on Disney property and it's a store, so scratch that last part.

I do however always hit up Basin and buy a few of these goodies:

Nothing feels better than a hot soak with a smelly good after pounding the pavement in the parks!!!
Smelly good? Hmmm.

I thought the Halloween bombs were super cute!

Halloween bombs? They look like mini cauldrons, but what's in them? Black powder? TNT? C4? We know exploding helicopters makes everything better, so exploding cauldrons would work.

Not this one:

But this raspberry one and a chocolate one as well:

That first picture, I immediately thought of the song by the crab in Moana.

Raspberry and chocolate. Chocolate is easy enough. The raspberry --- the ones on the far right?

And finally, I found the group I'd literally waited YEARS to see- Nova Era. They're a trio that plays Disney Classics and Baroque Classical music, jazzing them up with a modern twist. Factoid: I used to play oboe in Jr. and Sr. High school so am a bit partial to any music that features it, so this kinda knocks my socks off.

Never heard of them before and while they're talented, not sure I'd stop long...but then again, when I'm in DTD, I'm usually trying to go somewhere and then leave vs. just sauntering around.

At some point, I must have hit the wall, because things took a turn for the ridiculous. Silly photos with living statues:
Which one is the statue? :lmao:

Yeah... it was definitely time to go back to the resort and hit the sack!
What exactly did the sack (or the wall) do to you to warrant this behavior? Hit the wall, hit the sack...quite a violent night.

After consulting the interwebs on my computer, I found a suggestion to switch to the Opera browser as they have more security. That has turned out to be a good suggestion and between the phone and computer I finally made it through your A update.
I use opera and yes it's better. Even better still---> ad block browser.

On my computer, I use firefox and opera, but also have the ad block plus add-on for firefox.

Ah well, the best laid plans… ARE SCREWED UP BY DISNEY!
:worship:

I had to try the all-hailed, much raved about, make-sure-not-to-miss-it Cinnamon Roll.

Mmm, yes! Chris had this last year I believe and ate the whole thing lol. I was allowed to try it though :)

He wandered over to a tree, adjusted his toga a few times, then apparently becoming bored tossed it aside and started idly munching on some bamboo.
:rotfl2:that is hysterical!

But this raspberry one and a chocolate one as well:
How were they? I've had a couple desserts from there and while they were certainly not BAD, they were......not as good as they looked.

Maria and Enzo's is super intriguing to me and I have finally decided that I want to eat here since in Sept with the kiddos because: A) it's getting better reviews than Bongos and B) it's themed WAY cooler!
Awesome! Steve and I ate there in January; you're right, the theme is spectacular.

At some point, I must have hit the wall, because things took a turn for the ridiculous. Silly photos with living statues:
I have yet to find the living statues down there and I'd love to because the ones in Epcot during the Arts festival were so cool.

I have to have these occasionally but not a mustard fan to ick them up. Besides, Pat would probably break out in hives if I brought it near her.

Then, if not mustard.... fake cheese sauce. And NO! We can't have a hivey Pat!

I have a few times. Occasionally you can catch it with a short line. Nothing about it makes me seek it out often though.

Nor for me. Maybe the view if no line once a decade.

Make that a Main Street Bakery (before they ruined it with that garbage they have now) cinnamon roll and I'm in!

Never got one of the Main Street ones, but have Gaston's a couple of times. While good, the flavors of the Kusafiri's is better.

Nothing like being the center of attention.

Well, of course!!!

What rude individual would say such a thing?

Ummm, is this a trick question?

Those straws are great for sucking up boba balls.....and launching them as a blow gun. Haven't had one fail me yet.

:lmao:

Oh that looks yummy. ....need to find that next trip.

I've had it the last few trips. And will get it again. Well made mac -n- cheese oils my motor! :D

I always take a good long look at these. ....so interesting. ...and then decide. ...to pass.

Yeah.... just not my thing. Although I did get a Rice Krispy Treat ONCE during the only time I ever did the dining plan. Loads of leftover snack credits for stuff I'd never have paid for. Good reminder here of why I don't do the DDP.

It does. Except when half the store is overrun by Halloween merch. :rolleyes:

That is really actually sad kinda. :( Can't they just keep something pure now; it's like Elsa horning in on Norway.

It's a perfect place to spend a couple hours on your first night. I have the same issue with flights. Years ago I was able to get a very early morning flight form home and hit a connection in Toronto that got me in Orlando by lunch time. Unfortunately the airlines all changed the schedules and unless I overnight in Toronto, I can't get down there until supper time.

It's such a pain. And why burn up a vacay night in Toronto? Doesn't make sense. Makes more to add on a night and ease into it all at a Disney resort. ;)

I have no problem attacking sweet baked good. Candy not so much. One thing I normally don't like is rice krispy treats. We got that Mickey/mummy treat in your picture and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. We ended up with a few of those things trying to use up meal credits at the end of the trip.:sad2:

And that's funny. A RKT is the ONLY thing I've ever gotten there. Even funnier that that's what you ended up with too. LOL! They travel so well!

I wanted to have a look at that place but never did. It's almost in the "looks too good to eat" category.

It is. But, I assure you, they tasted pretty great too!

I'm also intrigued by any Italian place. I would be very interested in trying it as well.

I have looked at the menu online and it looks pretty decent. However, my next update is from an even different Italian place. ;)

Point of order.
That should be "It's kinda my thang."

Awlrighty then, Cowboy!

I agree with you.
It's a waste of a park ticket.
But... now that you have your AP, wouldn't you like to go since it's already paid for?

Yes

But, that won't happen in May. Nor will DTD. Headed straight to O'hana to start the next trip off. :)

I can't see the video (at work), but I know exactly what it is.
Gee... I wonder where you might've found that? Who could have shown you that, hmmmm???

;)

Hmmm, I wonder...

And I still laugh at it.

Right.
Listen here you young whipper-snapper. Don't be telling me you're too old for that!

And..

STAY OFF MY LAWN!

It's March in Winnipeg. You have a lawn??

Oy! Yeah, okay... you need a break.

I do. We had a code today at work and I'm exhausted. The week's been.... long.

::yes:: Love that boat ride. Makes staying at either Orleans resort so much better. :)

YES!! And I imagine I'll stay there again sometime.

Cool! So she was just there doing ornaments? Or was she just doing this one for a customer?

I think when you buy and ornament you can purchase the option of having some writing put on it. So she was probably fulfilling those orders??

Love this shot!

Thanks!! It turned out a lot nicer that I hoped!

I can be a big candy or sweets eater... so I try to avoid the wares at Goofy's.

:laughing:

Uh oh!!

Hey! If you'll recall (well... okay, you probably don't), but I was not actually present when you made both of those purchases!

No, you were A) riding rides with K and B) sitting cozy like any Canadian would in 50 degree weather.

I'm glad you explained that they were bath bombs (indirectly). I couldn't figure out what kind of candy/baking they were.

HAHA! You weren't the only one wondering. :) Glad I made you think a little.

Looks interesting. Might have to check that out.

Let us know if you do!

Now this place is on my list of "must dos".

I really would like to go there someday!

Nope. I quickly Googled, too. Didn't find anything.

They intrigue me. I may pop into Guest Relations and ask.

I can see how that would be of interest to you then. :)
But still at work so will have to see the video later.

Fair enough.

Can I borrow yours? Do you rent?

Right now it may very well run hot. Been a long week.

TR FAIL!
Okay everyone! Pack up! We're outta here!

WAIT!!! Come baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

oooohhhh.... thinking of a photo... need to do it when home, though.
I'll try to remember.

And you came through in spectacular proportions! LOLOL!!!

::yes::
Boys and their toys, ya know.
Why do you think I want a snow blower?
To move snow? Ha! It's to play with it.

:rotfl:

giphy.gif

First there was Mt. Etna.
Then there was Vesuvius.
Then Mt. St. Helens...
Then... Liesa.

At least I didn't sneeze.

Wait... don't you mean load last, to be on the right side? You mean the passenger side or the driver's side?

Sigh.....

Let me try this again.

No... you have to load first so you can sit on the

LEFT!!!!

LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driver's side.

What do I win????

Short-term usage of my Annoyance O'Meter.

But be careful with it. I need it back in working order, or I'll be... annoyed. ;)

This is a new word for me.
What does "bogeing out" entail?

Failing.

Neglecting.

Forgetting.

Not doing.

Ugh... you were feeling sick and you then went to volunteer? You're braver than I am.

It was during it that I realized it was a mistake.

Well, glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.

Thanks, and hope to get plenty of rest THIS weekend.

And? Did you make it in one piece? Did your car???

Yep! And now, that should be it for the coldest and snowiest bits of winter.

Well, let's see. I shoveled about 2,000 times and worked every day.
Not sure if I'd consider that "fantastic"...

Not my any sane person's definition anyway.

I'd totally want to get in the Bubble and think of those much better things!

Whisks me away to the "No work, no responsibilities, LET'S play!" Zone.

These ornaments are beautiful

I love them too!! I want one for my locker at work. :)

Good choice! We're beginning to make a habit of shopping here, too.

I think next time, I may get some soaps or lotion.

This is a beautiful shot!

Thanks!! :)

I think I will spend a lot more time in DS this trip as my hotel is only a 10 minute walk from there. And I do love a good wander......

There are so many things to offer there- shops, eats, and the entertainment is so great, especially at night.

I always have a stash of Basin bath bombs!

I have one left that I need to use.... need more come May!

Do they play regularly? I'd love to hear them too.

Yes, they do!!

http://www.novaeramusic.net/

There is their webpage for reference. :)

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well but what a great thing to do with your time.

I didn't realize I should have slept a bit more until after I was there. Glad I went, but it was harder than it should have been!

Hope your drive was ok....I went to my closest school today as we had white outs and snow squalls here. Could winter please be over????

YES! Please?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter