ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Oh, and I forgot to comment on you getting lost in the restaurant!! At Remy the servers actually walk you to the exit of the dining room and wait until you reappear so that you don't have any difficulty finding your way back... With high heels, alcohol and being on a ship, it was very nice to have someone to hold onto (yes, he offered his arm). At first it felt a bit silly, but it certainly prevents such incidents as yours!

I also think that we had the same truffles brioche that you got as one of your breads.

Oh, and I forgot to comment on you getting lost in the restaurant!! At Remy the servers actually walk you to the exit of the dining room and wait until you reappear so that you don't have any difficulty finding your way back... With high heels, alcohol and being on a ship, it was very nice to have someone to hold onto (yes, he offered his arm). At first it felt a bit silly, but it certainly prevents such incidents as yours!

I also think that we had the same truffles brioche that you got as one of your breads.
Seeee?!?!!

It wasn't just me!!!

I loved the Victoria & Albert's chapter!! What a lovely little princess you took a picture with. You didn't by chance get their e-mail address to send them a copy?

Wow, the whole experience at V&A's sounded wonderful. Dang, now I have to think about that for a future trip. And Judy'll hate it if I go there alone. ;) But $350 x 2 = a whole lot.

That every female server working there had a name tag reading "Victoria" and every male server one reading "Albert". You mentioned your server was Shannon (or so), so I assume that they stopped that practice.

They had stopped that by the time I dined there in 2010, but I think they still had it in 2007 when we ate there.

Oh, yes I forgot about the little princess! She is certainly beautiful - what a special moment, and so fun you got to make an impression on each other. Cute that her outfit matches yours, even!

Completely depends on the context. (Feel free to interpret that however you wish.)

Are you sure you want that???

OMG, you're starting to look JUST like my 14 year old.

:laughing:

OH. Right. (Thank you for doing the hard work of that which I should be doing on my own thread, but am too lazy. Or busy.)

Okay, so from what I understand about chapitalizing (and I know you've already googled this, sooooo.....), it is the process of adding sugar to unfermented grapes in order to boost up the ETOH content. Fortifying, so speak, but not adding it to the end product, but rather adding it before it ferments.

Apparently, it's a controversial process as it gives "unfair" advantage to poorer growing climates, so is heavily regulated and overseen by wine councils.

Nope. Hadn't Googled. You already did... and I was determined that you would educate me.

True. Because then my middle name would be DeVine.

Well, considering she's frickin' amazing... that wouldn't be a bad thing.

IMHO, Dutch cheese is superior, but only because I REALLY love a good Gouda.

::yes:: Love Gouda!

Sigh. My work is not done here.

:laughing:

Only when I need to be and when it involves a Corvette.

Well.... okay. I guess I can see that.
I should buy one.... just to bug you.

So it's taken me a while, but I can't believe that five pages have gone by since you posted this!

Some evenings are magical. And some are almost perfect. This was one of those.

I'm so glad to hear that! Not that our evening there was bad, but it was different than yours.

I realized that it was a major longshot to get a dinner partner for this extravagant splurge, but still thought it’d be more fun to share such an experience.

Could you have been there almost a week later, you would have had three dinner companions!

That was copied directly from my confirmation email received from them. I LOVE dressing up! This is my kind of place!

Me too! We have a future of dining plans!

Before we arrived, I asked her parents if I could get a photo with her and handed him my phone

What a cute picture! It does look like it was taken in a photo studio.

I easily found the entrance and was instantly greeted BY NAME as the door was opened for me.

We were not so fortunate, well maybe they did greet us by name, but I don't really remember.

So I've been reading along as everyone comment on the "bell", but I kept thinking to myself "I really don't think that's a bell, I think it's butter." However it wasn't until I was ready to comment that I looked it up in my own pictures. and here you see the butter on the dish and the lid in the background.

I opted for the 10 course dinner in the Main Dining Room with no wine pairings.

I can understand this, but I've learned I can not eat 10 courses.

Sharon was actually tickled at this little game she now got to be part of playing with me.

How cool that she wanted to play along.

For you wine snobs, and I know there’s a least one of you, a German Kabinett is:

That description was really confusing. I always thought that a Kabinett was a Riesling that was harvested early before the grapes developed an overabundance of sugar. It is the one of the more dry Rieslings, followed by the Spatlese, Auslese, and Trockenbeerenauslese (a dessert wine).

I chose the 10 as I've said, wanting to have as many tastes and flavors as possible. Little did I know…. There are also some additions you could add for an upcharge, like Wagyu instead of the Kobe. I stuck with the suggested prix fixe and was more than satisfied.

We did too....

Imagine, if you will, a harpist softly strumming songs from Classic Disney movies

The funniest thing that I heard on my few times dining there was the harpist playing "Love Potion Number Nine"

Yes. Why in fact that is a mother of pearl hand carved spoon that I shall dine from.

That's the only way. Otherwise the silver ruins the taste.

No, it wasn’t just butter, but I didn’t get stuck on the individual butters

I think one of them was salted butter. I see you didn't get the butter that we did, or you didn't take pictures of it.

2nd Fish Course:

I was going to say that you missed one in there, but then I noticed on the menu that it was the add on charge fish, so carry on!

Pinot Noir, from right here in the Willamette Valley

How is that and "L" wine?

Got lost trying to find my table again.

I can see how that would happen. That hallway back in the restroom area is a little confusing.

”Sharon, cut that chick off!” In my defense, once you get past the dining room, it’s a bit of a maze back there and I wasn’t paying any attention when I left my seat as I passed the chocolate truffle cart and got a little.... distracted.

Ha! I doubt it. You'd have to be pretty darned blotto and possibly belligerent for them to cut you off. Happy drunk is fine.

Have you ever had a dish served to you literally served IN its smoke?

No, but Jill had that one.

She unobtrusively came a little closer and asked quietly if I was chilled. I confessed I was a bit, and without another word she appeared with a silk pashmina and gently wrapped it around my shoulders.

That's nice they had the pashmina. Did they offer you the purse stool?

Now, I’m gonna be honest. I started to peter out right about the middle of the cheeses. JUST. TOO. MUCH. Too much food. Too much wine. Too full!!!!

That's why I only do 7 courses. I ran out of steam on the 10 course at that point as well.

I know good coffee when I taste it. This was not good coffee. It was GREAT coffee, brewed using a method I’ve never seen before.

I had a similar coffee maker and one of my cleaning ladies tossed a part of it (never could find it) and it wasn't usable (pressure and all), since a replacement was like $250, I ended up donating it.

“Liesa, sorry to bother you, but the table of 4 just over there, is asking for the pleasure of your company for coffee and conversation.”.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh, ok!

“Please tell them I accept.”

Wow how cool!

My Grandmother's MOTHER was Clan MacLeod. We joked together a lot about the Clan MacLeod’s tartan… “Loud MacLeod”.

I had a friend who was a MacLeod and participated in the games.

I turned to the first gentleman and he exclaimed (a bit loudly in heavy brogue), “I blimey just invited the family to dinner!”

So he was referring to you, right?

We talked and laughed, sipped, ate chocolate, and pretty much closed the place down. I sat with them at least another hour, and we were the last ones out of the place and probably had the most fun of all the patrons that night.

I bet you did!

SEE?! I found my monorail home no problem!

Yeah, but you weren't staying at a monorail resort. :rolleyes1 Where exactly DID you stay? :confused3

That description was really confusing. I always thought that a Kabinett was a Riesling that was harvested early before the grapes developed an overabundance of sugar. It is the one of the more dry Rieslings, followed by the Spatlese, Auslese, and Trockenbeerenauslese (a dessert wine).

No, all these are wine classifications based on sugar content (measured on the Oechsle scale) that apply to all German wines. You can have a Spätburgunder Kabinett (Pinot noir) or a Grauburgunder Spätlese (Pinot Gris) as well. Since mostly only German Riesling's are being exported, one might think it is a Riesling thing, but it is not.

Also the same wine being harvested at the same time one year might turn out to be a Kabinett, Spätlese or Auslese depending on the weather during the growing season.

I did try a sip of beer the other night- I think it was a dark stout? I actually think I could have given it a college try to finish it. Maybe if I developed a taste, I could save some money. Cocktails are spendy...

Dark stouts and porters are some of the ones I prefer. They tend to be less bitter and often have a chocolate-y or coffee taste to them.

I'll tell you the same thing I did to Ponzi, throw some things out there... I pay well in GCs to Taco Bell. You know to undo all of the hoity-toity food you'd get.

Liquid Plumber for your stomach! Guaranteed to clean you right out.

That's weird, I thought Yahtzee WAS all stats!

It certainly is all probability.

So you're saying leave the Dole Whip float exactly as is. Got it.

::yes::

I just showed that to Mike. He about died laughing and is going to forward it to the ODF bridge guys.

Isn't that great? They showed it at a big internal meeting here last year and it brought down the house.

Only one way to find out... :rolleyes1

I can't bring myself to pay $350 just to see fancy coffee!

I is for: I Came; I Shopped (In 4 Parts)

Just as no cheeseburger is complete without bacon, or no Nursing School Graduation is complete without a near nervous breakdown, or no home remodel project is complete without significant cost overruns, no Disney trip is complete without a Shop-Around-the-World. It’s just not done.

Never done one? Please, allow me to introduce you to the joys of an Adult Scavenger Hunt of sorts. Not only does it get you all the way around the Showcase, but it gets you into the shops that you may not otherwise actually get into. (Unless you are @Captain_Oblivious and can’t see past the bakeries.) And trust me, there is some pretty cool stuff in each one. Yes, some are WAY better than others, as you shall see, but on the whole, the Pavilions offer a
nice variety of authentic junk that no one really needs…. but we buy because… that’s what we do. And some of it’s actually not even made in China. Whoa. Contain your surprise.

A brief word on Steppe’s shopping habits to set the stage here. It’s important to the telling of this tale.

Steppe does
not shop.

It’s not enjoyable and almost ALWAYS, when done, is done with a very specific goal or reason in mind; I don’t go out on shopping trips for merely the sake of browsing. So, when I say this is a Shop-Around-the-World "shopping trip", I’m looking for very specific things. Get in, get out, and move on. Under $10 was my limit, small, trinket-sized items were required, (I mean I couldn’t very well take Sven home with me, but a girl can always dream, no?), and it had to be something I’d either actually use, or see often, and if possible be made IN the country I was "visiting".

There is a proper way to tour the Showcase. But most of you know me pretty well by now; I am… a little unconventional. I’m okay with that.

The proper way is to go counterclockwise. Why is that the proper way to mosey around the World? Because that’s how I’ve always done it. There are better things to argue about… this is not one. I can direct you to any myriad of protests should you disagree. Now, because I do things a bit differently, I broke my own rule and went LEFT instead of right…. Then backtracked. Because nothing says, “Let’s get this party rolling!” than a Blood Orange Margarita hecho en Mexico! Boys and Girls, please stand clear of the doors, Steppe’s coming in hot for Drink Letter B. While some sashay, I prefer to saunter, generally speaking. But today was not the day for moseying, sashaying, sauntering or dilly-dallying. Today was a beat cheeks sort occasion. Things to buy, stuff to see, snacks to eat!!!! A Halloween party to get to by 5:00!

Mounting the pyramid’s steps, Steppe entered the dimmed indoor Hacienda courtyard and was immediately pleased at her old familiar turf. While not her favorite country’s pavilion, it does bring back comforting memories of “home” in California and frequent visits to Mexico growing up. But, it wasn’t a healthy dose of nostalgia Steppe was seeking; it was a healthy dose of tequila so she could take a little mini fiesta with her while she shopped. Olé!!!!! It must be noted here that this was the ONE and only time that The Ditch was not overrun with riff-raff trying to enjoy the space.

Pro tip: La Cava is toast after 12:00. If want a snowball’s chance in Hell of getting a table in less than an hour (unless you are willing to push the envelope and are very, very sneaky- see Chapter 11!), or don’t want to wait in line for an hour for a to-go marg either, best hit it up before then. It’s always 5:00 somewhere.

Now, I suppose you thought Steppe should do the logical thing and shop a bit for Souvenir #1. If you did, you’d be wrong. Because that would have been much too obvious and expected. And well, as unconventional she may be, she is also that kind of girl who likes things done in order. So, with refreshing beverage in hand (sorry, photo fail on this one!), out into the warm and beautiful Florida sunshine she set out to get her shop on. Next stop Canada! Your Queen is about to give you opinions, please take them for merely those- they’re only one gal’s observations, so take it all with a grain of salt. Bear in mind, however, they are royal opinions, so unless you too don a tiara, please pipe down, nod your head, and just follow along, okay?

Canada is… ummm, limited in the way of stuff to buy and choose from. Sorry, my Canadian friends; no reflection on you, unless in general there is a lack of stuff up there? All Beaver Butt soap jokes aside, what is it that you’re promoting and showcasing for export and tourist consumption? Let me interject a few more of my Shop-Around-the-World prerequisites at this point: I am not looking for a consumable product. I want it to be a durable good so I can have it for years to remember my Disney trip. So maple syrup was out. I can get that here. I didn’t want soap either. It’d be gone in a couple of weeks and poof, no more Canadian cra…errr… souvenir. Clothes? Too expensive. Remember, while Steppe is a royal, her financial situation looks more like the current national budget plan. I looked and looked and looked and literally NOTHING caught my eye that was under $10- the limit for each item around the Pavilions. Until, finally, after an interminable time in the ONE shop Canada does have, I spied a rack of keychains that I thought would actually work nicely. It would be something I’d use every day and be a nice reminder of the lovely, yet devoid-of-good-merchandise Canadian Pavilion.

A few of the views from "Canada" (BTW, I heard this pavilion is getting new totem poles soon.)

Next door, as we all know, is The UK. (Just pretend those few steps on concrete was crossing an ocean.) I, honestly am sadly extremely lacking in knowledge and education as to exactly HOW the UK, Great Britain, and each country therein are connected and related politically and socially. It’s something I really should study up on a bit so as to fill this hole in my understanding. Having said that, and I could be, probably am in fact, wrong… is it just me or does this Pavilion feel heavy on the England end of things? The several shops tucked back in there are chock-full of fun stuff and I spent quite a bit of time (like maybe 20 minutes) perusing all the goods. Once again, it proved to be a bit of a sport finding just the right little item to take home. But in the end, I did. Not what I was hoping for, but something that fit the criteria. I had wanted another teabag rest from the Tea Caddy, but no dice. Or teabag rests. So, this made its way into the collection of junk.

It’s sitting now on the back of my stove along with a couple of the other items I got this trip. It’s the least “useful” of my 10 items, but still cute and displayed.

30 minutes. 2 items down! See? Even the men might find this a fun challenge.

No?

You’re right never mind. (Still contemplating on how to throw in an interlude of exploding helicopters so I don’t lose half of my audience in one chapter.)

Next up: France. By now, the kids found me and I really wanted to show them the Impressions de France show. I LOVE this one. A lot. The music alone is worth sitting through. Add the French countryside, and WHAM! A mini-vacation. Someday…. Provence I will have you.

See how easy it is to cross the canal?

As you can see my kids were really going the distance! Phew! Look at THAT, would ya? Doing Disney like pros. (I see crashing and burning during Hallowishes...)

Time for the show!

After we rested our tooshies in some really nice, soft seats, we hit the shops in France. And this is where my Shopping utterly and completely fell apart. While I LOVE this Pavilion in general, and I like France ok, I HATED Paris. I know many of you are in love with it and its people, I am not one. The people were rude, and in one case, MEAN to my family and I, the streets were filthy, it was difficult to navigate, and horrifically expensive, meh. Sure, it has incredible architecture, beautiful cathedrals and museums, and a romantic riverfront. It just wasn’t enough to outweigh the rest. All that aside, the one shop in the French pavilion that had decently priced stuff was ALL Parisienne stuff. I love Paris, this, Je t'aime Paris that….. little brass Eiffel Tower doodads, just nope. Wasn’t gonna do it. Last trip I’d gotten a Mickey head wine stopper that I use a lot. I cruised through the wine shop, and found nothing. The perfume shop? Too expensive. GAH! I found, and left with….

Nothing.

I tried. I really, really did.

Here:

And here:

And here:

All I got were some decent photos:

and dashed dreams.

The question of the day is: Will I be successful with all of the others? We’ll see who got their Contest Guesses correct when Steppe gets all the way around. As you may have guessed it took 2 trips back to WS to make the circuit. I’ve broken up Day 1 into 2 parts and will continue after that with Day 2, again in 2 parts.

I’ll leave off here, but on this day of shopping around the world, there are still 3 more Pavilions to get to. So stay tuned!

I absolutely adored your description of your meal at V&A. Starting with the little princess on the monorail - I looked at the picture the first time on my phone and it looked kind of like a studio quality shot. Until I realized that it was taken on the monorail!!

You are not the first to say this. Who knows... maybe her father who took the picture was a photographer? LOL! Either way, it was a keeper!

The food just looks amazing! I am impressed that you went with the 10 course dinner. But I totally understand. I would want to get as much as possible when I get there. I am so sorry I was not around in October, because I would not have hesitated to come along with you!

I wish you'd been there too! I would have loved someone with me who enjoys good food as much as I do and understands fine dining. :) Next time, if there is one, I'll get the 7 course, as it's really enough; it's paced so nicely that since you don't rush through it, you have plenty of time to feel full. Plus, I'd forgotten how much the breads fill me up.

Michael and I have dined twice now at Remy on the Disney Fantasy. There Scott Hunnel is one of the two overseeing chefs and the food is similar in quality and presentation. The great advantage of the cruise is that it is "only" a 90$ upcharge... Better than paying full price at V&A.

For $90 I'd totally do that! I had no idea the same chef oversought both places. Who knew!?

Michael has actually been at V&A at some time in the early 2000s. He loved it. Despite him not eating fish (allergic), shellfish (doesn't like it) or any meat that is not beef or chicken (for special occasions like this he would eat other birds and pork as well though). They made a menu adjusted to his limitations there. Also at Remy, they totally worked around this for him. To be fair, besides being picky about what animals he is prepared to eat, he is actually quite adventures.

That's quite a few of the dishes since at least 2 of them ARE seafood. And that's the mark of a good upscale place- able to pinch hit and still present stunning food.

I think it is wonderful that you found some long lost family there! What a nice ending for the evening!

The odds were so long on this! Made it so special!

Now I am thinking that I need to budget to eat at V&A on my next WDW trip...

Then I did what I set out to do. LOL!!

THAT'S the way it SHOULD be!!!! Given all the factors you listed, it's easier than you'd think to trip, get lost, whatever. In a place like this is seems obvious that an escort should be offered.

It was pretty unmistakable. While not overpowering, the truffle was definitely not missed. Especially paired with the truffle butter.

I loved the Victoria & Albert's chapter!! What a lovely little princess you took a picture with. You didn't by chance get their e-mail address to send them a copy?

I wish we'd had time. I'd have gladly sent them one as it was definitely a special moment.

Wow, the whole experience at V&A's sounded wonderful. Dang, now I have to think about that for a future trip. And Judy'll hate it if I go there alone. ;) But $350 x 2 = a whole lot.

The 7 course with no pairing is "only" $185, with the T&T maybe... $250pp? I really hope you can treat yourselves to this someday! I think you two would really like having seen the places you've chosen in the past.

Oh, yes I forgot about the little princess! She is certainly beautiful - what a special moment, and so fun you got to make an impression on each other. Cute that her outfit matches yours, even!

Not something I'm likely to ever forget!

Are you sure you want that???

On second thought...

Nope. Hadn't Googled. You already did... and I was determined that you would educate me.

Well, I only regurgitated. The other ladies can school you a LOT more. See Below...

Well, considering she's frickin' amazing... that wouldn't be a bad thing.

So, you're saying go for the heels. Got it. :)

::yes:: Love Gouda!

YAY! We can still be friends!

I should buy one.... just to bug you.

You would too. And if you did, I'd have to seriously think about retracting my prior comment.

So it's taken me a while

Oh, if you had any idea how far behind I am again. OY!

I'm so glad to hear that! Not that our evening there was bad, but it was different than yours.

How was it different?? You haven't done this chapter right?

Could you have been there almost a week later, you would have had three dinner companions!

Oh my, how I'd have loved that!

Me too! We have a future of dining plans!

YAY!!!!!! YES, we do!

What a cute picture! It does look like it was taken in a photo studio.

I have no idea how I lucked out on that given it was a cell phone on a moving monorail!

So I've been reading along as everyone comment on the "bell", but I kept thinking to myself "I really don't think that's a bell, I think it's butter." However it wasn't until I was ready to comment that I looked it up in my own pictures. and here you see the butter on the dish and the lid in the background.

I"m sure you are probably right? I honestly have NO idea as I don't remember her uncovering it at all. My butter sort of magically appeared. The only "spectacular" butter thing I remember is when they rolled out a HUGE load of butter that was in the shape of a 2 foot tall toque and they scraped it off in a fantastic fashion and served it in the shape of a Mickey head on the plate. I loved this little show!

I can understand this, but I've learned I can not eat 10 courses.

I learned too, although I wouldn't say it was the "hard way". Yum!!!!

I leave the hardcore wine expertise to you ladies!

The funniest thing that I heard on my few times dining there was the harpist playing "Love Potion Number Nine"

Ok, THAT is hilarious!! So funny!

That's the only way. Otherwise the silver ruins the taste.

Ooooohhh, alright. I'll buy that. Same reason perhaps for not ever preparing meringue in a metal mixing bowl.

I think one of them was salted butter. I see you didn't get the butter that we did, or you didn't take pictures of it.

I didn't. I was trying REALLY hard to be very unobtrusive and kinda took ALL of my photos on the sly and a bit clandestinely. So, more than a few things did go undocumented. It's ok. :)

How is that and "L" wine?

Yeah, looking back I actually did forget to add the name of the specific winery. It was, as I look at the list of Oregon wineries, I'm pretty sure from Lange Estate in Dundee. I wish it was listed on my receipt, but it's not. I more remember the look of "triumph" as Sharon poured it. So fun!

I can see how that would happen. That hallway back in the restroom area is a little confusing.

See!? I'm really glad it wasn't just me that thinks so. All I can say is that things looked VERY differently as I stepped back in.

Ha! I doubt it. You'd have to be pretty darned blotto and possibly belligerent for them to cut you off. Happy drunk is fine.

Happy drunk= bigger tip. Every time.

No, but Jill had that one.

Did she like it?

Did they offer you the purse stool?

Yes!!! They did!!! So many nice touches.

I had a similar coffee maker and one of my cleaning ladies tossed a part of it (never could find it) and it wasn't usable (pressure and all), since a replacement was like $250, I ended up donating it.

I can see myself getting one of these simply as a conversation piece for guests!

I had a friend who was a MacLeod and participated in the games.

So naturally s/he wore Loud MacLeod as well! Yikes.

So he was referring to you, right?

But of course!! LOL!

Yeah, but you weren't staying at a monorail resort. :rolleyes1 Where exactly DID you stay? :confused3

I made it allll the way back to my resort having made (sucessfully, I might add) a transfer to a bus. I think I finally crashed FULL and buzzed around 1:00 AM.

My older son and I will be going to see the Lion King in May in St. Louis at the Fox. I'm excited! What did you all think of it?

How FUN!! We saw that one last year- maybe the year before- and it was over-the-top fantastic!! Seriously, one of my all-time favorites that we've seen! You'll LOVE it!

The King and I was really nice! Very well done; the lead's voices were superb and the story, well... the story is just a classic love story. My kids, having lived in Thailand LOVED it!

Dark stouts and porters are some of the ones I prefer. They tend to be less bitter and often have a chocolate-y or coffee taste to them.

Yes, that's what I've noticed too. I only learned to love coffee in my 30s while living in Crapistan, so I'm sure given enough time, I could grow fond of beer too. The difference is that coffee is calorie free (mostly) and beer is... most definitely NOT. This waistline has seen better days, best not do anymore damage.

Liquid Plumber for your stomach! Guaranteed to clean you right out.

Maybe I should suggest this when my colonoscopy rolls around.

It certainly is all probability.

Given my luck with Disney buses, and the fact that Yahtzee is a fair amount of that too, I'd better not ever play against you.

I can't bring myself to pay $350 just to see fancy coffee!

Did I mention the Kobe beef?

The King and I was really nice! Very well done; the lead's voices were superb and the story, well... the story is just a classic love story. My kids, having lived in Thailand LOVED it!

I've gone to very few "big" shows, I had 8 years of high school musicals between my brother and I; 8 years of high school plays with my boys, and many years of attending community theater. One of the earliest I remember seeing was the King and I. (I think my brother was in the "orchestra") I don't remember a lot but I remember "the dance", they flew all over that tiny little stage. I'm glad you and your girls enjoyed it!

My older son and I will be going to see the Lion King in May in St. Louis at the Fox. I'm excited! What did you all think of it?

I don't mean to be a post butter-inner but I saw The Lion King at the STL Fox a few years ago and absolutely loved it! I've been dying to see it again. I think you & your son will really enjoy it!

no Disney trip is complete without a Shop-Around-the-World. It’s just not done.
OK, let's keep that info away from my wife shall we? Although she's never shown much interest in the cultural stuff, just the Disney merchandise and the outlet malls. And I've purposely kept DD9 away from the Japan store because I know all the pop culture stuff in there that she would want, since she watches all that on YouTube. She can sit for hours watching people shop and unbox toys. I would say it seems a silly thing to do, but then I spend plenty of time in a place where we could debate the merits of Dole whip vs. citrus swirl, so, you know, pot-kettle-black.

(Unless you are @Captain_Oblivious and can’t see past the bakeries.)
That's where I'd rather hang out. Especially Les Halles. I need my fat pants for that one.

Steppe does not shop.

It’s not enjoyable and almost ALWAYS, when done, is done with a very specific goal or reason in mind; I don’t go out on shopping trips for merely the sake of browsing. So, when I say this is a Shop-Around-the-World "shopping trip", I’m looking for very specific things. Get in, get out, and move on.
Hmmm....sounds like me. Maybe great minds do think alike.

While some sashay
Oh please, I don't think that's a real word. Who would do such a thing?

mowgli laugh.gif

Canada is… ummm, limited in the way of stuff to buy and choose from. Sorry, my Canadian friends; no reflection on you, unless in general there is a lack of stuff up there? All Beaver Butt soap jokes aside, what is it that you’re promoting and showcasing for export and tourist consumption?
I have to agree. It's a pretty sad little shop and just goes for the stereotypical gag gifts. Moose poop chocolates and over priced hockey jerseys, anyone? I don't know who is in charge of stocking that place, but they need to come up and visit a few genuine souvenir shops. The local ones we have here put it to shame.

A few of the views from "Canada" (BTW, I heard this pavilion is getting new totem poles soon.)
Yes, just had the unveiling last week actually. If you're interested:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/canada-pavilion-at-epcot-has-brand-new-totem-poles/

I, honestly am sadly extremely lacking in knowledge and education as to exactly HOW the UK, Great Britain, and each country therein are connected and related politically and socially.
Well, I'm no expert, but since I lived in Scotland, I have some idea. Many years ago (hundreds I assume) England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland were separate countries. England, Scotland, and Wales came together and are known as Great Britain even today. The modern United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Just don't ask me the politics behind it all.

(Still contemplating on how to throw in an interlude of exploding helicopters so I don’t lose half of my audience in one chapter.)
That. Would. Be. Awesome!

Hiro awesome.gif

While I LOVE this Pavilion in general, and I like France ok, I HATED Paris. I know many of you are in love with it and its people, I am not one. The people were rude, and in one case, MEAN to my family and I, the streets were filthy, it was difficult to navigate, and horrifically expensive, meh. Sure, it has incredible architecture, beautiful cathedrals and museums, and a romantic riverfront. It just wasn’t enough to outweigh the rest.
Oh, were we on the same trip to Paris? What was that I said before about great minds....
I could have written that and feel the same way about Paris. I appreciate the architecture and culture (and pastries), but the people (overall) were enough to sour me on the place.

Just as no cheeseburger is complete without bacon
Nothing is complete without bacon.

no Disney trip is complete without a Shop-Around-the-World. It’s just not done.
I can support your other three points, but on this one, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Steppe does not shop.

It’s not enjoyable and almost ALWAYS, when done, is done with a very specific goal or reason in mind; I don’t go out on shopping trips for merely the sake of browsing.
Ok, ok, I can relate. I'm listening.

Now, I suppose you thought Steppe should do the logical thing and shop a bit for Souvenir #1. If you did, you’d be wrong. Because that would have been much too obvious and expected. And well, as unconventional she may be, she is also that kind of girl who likes things done in order. So, with refreshing beverage in hand (sorry, photo fail on this one!), out into the warm and beautiful Florida sunshine she set out to get her shop on. Next stop Canada!
Brilliant! Get a margarita, by the time you drink it down to just the ice, you'll be halfway to Canada and ready to get another drink when you arrive!

Remember, while Steppe is a royal, her financial situation looks more like the current national budget plan.
I thought the current national budget plan was to keep spending and print more money?

What? Really? Why would they replace the ones they have already?

Having said that, and I could be, probably am in fact, wrong… is it just me or does this Pavilion feel heavy on the England end of things?
Seems that way to me, but like you, I've never been in that part of the world to know any better.

30 minutes. 2 items down! See? Even the men might find this a fun challenge.
:rolleyes1

While I LOVE this Pavilion in general, and I like France ok, I HATED Paris. I know many of you are in love with it and its people, I am not one. The people were rude, and in one case, MEAN to my family and I, the streets were filthy, it was difficult to navigate, and horrifically expensive, meh.
I get it. I know a lot of people love a city in your part of the world. Specifically Portland. Based on my experience with some of the people there when I visited the city about 10 years ago, I have to say it is at the bottom of all the cities I've visited in this country for my desire to ever return.

GAH! I found, and left with….

Nothing.
FAILURE!!!

I've gone to very few "big" shows, I had 8 years of high school musicals between my brother and I; 8 years of high school plays with my boys, and many years of attending community theater. One of the earliest I remember seeing was the King and I. (I think my brother was in the "orchestra") I don't remember a lot but I remember "the dance", they flew all over that tiny little stage. I'm glad you and your girls enjoyed it!

I love community theater actually. It's fun to see regular people having a great time doing something they love. :) Orchestra is nothing to sneeze at! I played for several productions with oboe- my favorite was Fiddler on the Roof I'll put up the few pix I took maybe tomorrow.

I don't mean to be a post butter-inner but I saw The Lion King at the STL Fox a few years ago and absolutely loved it! I've been dying to see it again. I think you & your son will really enjoy it!

No such thing as a post butter-inner! Everyone is welcome here and can post anything they'd like- well, within reason, LOL!

Wasn't Lion King da bomb-diggity!? WOWZA! The costumes! Holy COW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter