Testing positive at the Port - VGT - refund?

bethy

DIS Veteran
I know this is answered here somewhere but I can't find it and I can't find clarity on the DCL site. We are thinking of booking a last minute sailing in October in the VGT category. We are fully vaccinated - but what happens if we test positive at the port - is the fare still non-refundable?

Update: I spoked to someone at DCL and they said this question had come up internally but that there was no answer yet. According to him, it's the Guest services at the Port who would make a decision if/when it comes up.

Agents were instructed to just encourage cruisers to buy the DCL insurance plan just in case.

Trying to decide whether to risk it - probably better not.

We booked a last minute VGT for Sept 27 Dream. I took out DCL insurance. I figure we will see what happens but I thought it worth the risk as I really want to cruise again. What I want to know is how many people have actually been turned away as testing positive at the port? I have not heard of any......has anyone heard about an approx number of guests testing positive at port? I may do a test for us before we head to Florida to ease my mind.

We booked a last minute VGT for Sept 27 Dream. I took out DCL insurance. I figure we will see what happens but I thought it worth the risk as I really want to cruise again. What I want to know is how many people have actually been turned away as testing positive at the port? I have not heard of any......has anyone heard about an approx number of guests testing positive at port? I may do a test for us before we head to Florida to ease my mind.
I did a B2B in Aug and on both sailing they turned away people that tested positive in both sailings…it should also be mentioned that if you’re traveling with people to the port and even 1 single person tests positive that the whole party is denied boarding

I did a B2B in Aug and on both sailing they turned away people that tested positive in both sailings…it should also be mentioned that if you’re traveling with people to the port and even 1 single person tests positive that the whole party is denied boarding

Not directed personally at you, but what is the possibility of a false positive? Even if it’s a tiny fraction of one percent, testing several hundred people, someone is bound to get that false positive. And then they and their entire party are denied boarding as you say. Add the false positives to real ones (whatever they were you witnessed), it seems like you almost need to have a vague plan in the back of your mind of what you do next. The larger your group; the worse your Vegas odds.

I have never been a fan of insurance, this tips the scale for me. You would need lodging, food and transportation in a pinch.

Oh man, I would love love love to cruise but this is tough. It’s intimidating, especially for those flying cross country.

San Diego cruises may suddenly be more appealing since West Cost folks, if turned away, could be home in one day’s drive.

I spoke with someone whose son tested positive at the port, and while she didn't ask about a false positive, someone else on her sailing who also tested positive did ask and the CM told them that with a positive result, the same sample is tested again and then the person is notified after the second test.

I did get and email back from Guest Services that confirmed that if anyone in our party meets the normal criteria to be denied boarding (i.e. exposure, symptoms, tests positive etc) then they get a denied boarding voucher even if booked under a restricted fare.

We have to fly cross country but basically in that case we'd just go park ourselves at one of a plethora of awesome beach resorts in Florida and we would quarantine ourselves. The majority of the cost of that would be covered by our cruise refund.

I did get and email back from Guest Services that confirmed that if anyone in our party meets the normal criteria to be denied boarding (i.e. exposure, symptoms, tests positive etc) then they get a denied boarding voucher even if booked under a restricted fare.

We have to fly cross country but basically in that case we'd just go park ourselves at one of a plethora of awesome beach resorts in Florida and we would quarantine ourselves. The majority of the cost of that would be covered by our cruise refund.

Well, you really should look into travel insurance. I've personally have never had to file a claim but even looking at the coverage of the DCL insurance vs. non-DCL is quite different.

Is this a voucher as a credit for a future cruise? Or a refund?

Here is the full email. Looks like either.

"Thank you for your email to Disney Cruise Line.

I would be happy to assist you!

Guests who experience one or more of the qualifying scenarios on the day of Embarkation will be denied boarding. Guests who are denied boarding will receive a Denied Boarding Voucher for the full amount of their sailing or a refund without Disney-imposed cancellation fees. Please note that travel insurance and cancellation fees imposed by third-party suppliers, including airlines, are not refundable.

Qualifying scenarios include Guests who:
  • Have symptoms of COVID-19
  • Have a temperature of 100.4°F or greater
  • Have had known exposure to a person with COVID-19 within the previous 14 days
  • Have tested positive for COVID-19

*These details, as well as additional information on our Flexible Refund Policy, can be found online by clicking here.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you.

As a side note - still working on my hubby to sign on the dotted line. Wish me luck!!!!

Here is the full email. Looks like either.
Ah, thanks. Yes it does look like either a voucher or a refund. I wasn't sure if they were only offering the voucher to *GT bookings who are denied boarding, in which case the funds would remained tied up with DCL. Hopefully they offer a choice.

By the time you get to the port, all reservations are essentially non-refundable. I don't think what rate you book with would exclude you from a refund or voucher if you test positive.

Not directed personally at you, but what is the possibility of a false positive? Even if it’s a tiny fraction of one percent, testing several hundred people, someone is bound to get that false positive. And then they and their entire party are denied boarding as you say. Add the false positives to real ones (whatever they were you witnessed), it seems like you almost need to have a vague plan in the back of your mind of what you do next. The larger your group; the worse your Vegas odds.

I have never been a fan of insurance, this tips the scale for me. You would need lodging, food and transportation in a pinch.

Oh man, I would love love love to cruise but this is tough. It’s intimidating, especially for those flying cross country.

San Diego cruises may suddenly be more appealing since West Cost folks, if turned away, could be home in one day’s drive.
I definitely did not take it personal 🤗 if I am correct and you test positive I believe they give you another one just to be sure… please don’t hold me 💯 but I swear I’ve read that somewhere. Now I am going to have to look it up lol

I gotta ask… did you book and sail? We are looking at 11/2021 and those VGTs are tempting. Any other caveats with VGTs where COVID is related? We are inside 30 days.

By the time you get to the port, all reservations are essentially non-refundable. I don't think what rate you book with would exclude you from a refund or voucher if you test positive.

When you read the "fine print" for *GT fares, it specifically states no refunds under any circumstances. This is what causes some of us to doubt the possibility of a refund.

I wonder if you can apply the voucher to an already booked cruise.

We're booked on the WBPC sailing in March which will cost me 13 vacation days. If we tested positive at the port for a shorter cruise this fall, I wouldn't have enough vacation time to book yet another short cruise and the long one in March.
It would be quite a while until I could use a voucher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts