Teachers: What gifts did you receive?

Jennasis said:
I had always assumed (as a kid) that I was giving my teacher a Christmas gift as a "thank you" for all that they do for me during our year together. I never ever ONCE expected anything back from my teacher, as they gave to me every single day I was with them.

Lol, I never thought of my teachers giving to me everyday. But I loved them and wanted to give them a gift. The gifts were simpler. We usually picked out gloves for ours.

Mine are homeschooled but they enjoy picking things out for their music and rec instructors.

I am a substitute teacher and never expect anything from the kids but this year several of the kids shared their homemade cupcakes that they made to share the last 2 days of school. And many of them wished me Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. It is the little things that count. The kid that holds the door, or the one that grabs my bag and carries it to the 2nd floor for me or the one that takes the trash to the can along with his. They are the reason I continue to sub even though I can go on SS anytime now.

As a parent I gave my DD 3rd grade teacher a $20 gift card to Kohl's, homemade chex mix and a nice box of truffles. For DD who is in preschool she has 2 teachers that got Wal Mart gift cards and hand made truffles. I know most teachers expect nothing, but as a parent I so appreciate the excellent education my children are getting.

There is clearly some sort of resentment here. Wondering what could make anyone so anti teacher. Teachers spend their own money on school supplies and do a lot of work in their own time. If parents want to give them a gift, why would anyone begrudge that? I get that some teachers feel uncomfortable accepting gifts, but not everyone feels that way. And for the record I am a nurse not a teacher. I just am surprised all the negativity on such a lighthearted positive sharing thread.

I had always assumed (as a kid) that I was giving my teacher a Christmas gift as a "thank you" for all that they do for me during our year together. I never ever ONCE expected anything back from my teacher, as they gave to me every single day I was with them (guidance, knowledge, encouragement ect).

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 to both of you!

If a teacher can make the learning process fun and interesting, that is the BEST.GIFT.EVER!!!! If my child's teacher makes a positive impact on my child, it is a gift to both the child and the parent.

I got DS's teacher a coffee mug with Snoopy on it (she loves the Peanuts) filled with her favorite candy.

I help out some at the school, and greatly appreciate our teachers, I know I couldn't do their job, it takes a special kind of person to be a teacher. We have been blessed over the years with teachers that truly love and care about our children. They don't expect a gift, but it makes the children happy to give their teachers a gift and I don't expect any special treatment in return.

As a non-teacher and parent, I'm enjoying this thread.

I actually *never* would have thought of giving the two teachers that wrote my son college recommendation letters a thank you gift. I realize that it is a lot of work for them this time of year. While I'm too late for a Christmas gift, I think I will pick up something small for them and have my son take to them after the holidays (his letter just went out last week).

Thanks you for doing this. Even something as small as a thank you note is appreciated by me. I spend a great deal of time writing letters. Last year I wrote over 30 letters for my students. It is not in my job description but since I teach juniors and seniors it really part of my job. I has hoped to get them all done by Halloween this year but with the storm we had I pushed it Thanksgiving. Last week a student asked me for one that I have to write this week.

One of my parents had each child write me a short letter which she then hand bound into a little book. I get hundreds of little notes and pictures from the kids over the year, and they go up to be appreciated and then sent home or tossed (because there is just no way to keep it all!), but this is something I'll keep!

My favourite letter was from a little guy who I had to get to check every bit of writing for capital letters, he just never used them and constantly had to fix his writing. In his letter he said, "I checked extra for the capital letters because I know you like them." :rotfl:

I am so blessed to have teachers that love and nurture my children. My children love Sundays because they can't wait to go to school on Mondays! This is all due to their amazing teachers. I honestly get teary just thinking about these wonderful ladies, they are such a huge part of my children's life. Of course we wouldn't leave them out at Christmas, we gave them gift certificates to a popular restaurant and an ornament.

The teachers also gave each child a goodie bag for Christmas.:)

I love hearing about the kind gifts students brought their teachers this year.

I am really glad someone brought up giving gifts to teachers that write college recommendation letters. My son will be a junior next year, and I would have never thought about this. I will be sure to give gifts and thank you notes to the teachers who do this for my son.

I really appreciate all that teachers do. I trust them each day with the two people that are most precious to me in the world. It takes a special kind of person to be a good teacher, and both of my boys have been blessed through the years with some absolutely amazing teachers.

[/QUOTE=LSmith;46981556]No need for name calling. Just stating a fact.

Many kids go over and above as students but don't receive gifts from their teachers.[/QUOTE]

When my kids (and this year, with 6 classes and a homeroom, we're talking close to 280 kids I have every single day. That's not mentioning the 300 or so kids in my study hall or the 500 or so kids I moderate in National Honor Society.) go above and beyond, it's not about doing me a favor or giving me a gift. It's about furthering their education.

I would love to see all my kids master all of the math and all the other lessons I teach them. But it's not about ME, it's about them. I don't want them to do it for me. I want them to do it for themselves.

Thanks you for doing this. Even something as small as a thank you note is appreciated by me. I spend a great deal of time writing letters. Last year I wrote over 30 letters for my students. It is not in my job description but since I teach juniors and seniors it really part of my job. I has hoped to get them all done by Halloween this year but with the storm we had I pushed it Thanksgiving. Last week a student asked me for one that I have to write this week.

My dd is a senior and had to get letters. I didn't even think of getting a gift. I'm glad I saw this. I know how much work it must be to write all those letters. I think I'll pick up a few Dunkin Donuts gift cards for them.

last year when my DS was in PreK I gave his teacher and teacher's aide each a $25 gift card in a picture frame.

This year I had to scale back a little bit since now my DD is in PreK (same teacher!) and DS is in K and between the 2 of them I actually had 5 teachers to buy for. (This Pre-K teacher and aide bought a book for each child in thier class both years my kids have had them!)

Both kids made ornaments (small foam craft ones) for thier teachers, and a hand made card for each, and I included a $15 gift card for each. My son's 2 teachers are both very artistic, and I KNOW with out a doubt that they spend a small fortune every year on art supplies for the class, so their gift cards were to Michael's.

We also gave the bus drivers(2) and the bus aide each a $5 giftcard to WaWa. I know it's not much, but it will buy a sandwich and coffee.

I have always given my teachers something all through grade school, and even in HS, a few of my teachers who were true mentors, or just special to me got some kind of token gift. One year my English teacher loved tastykakes Candykakes, so I bought him a box and wrapped it up!!! He was sooo appreciative!!!

declansdad said:
There is still no need for the comment that you made.

The teachers in my family typically teach between 80 to 120 students. So you really think they could afford to buy gifts for all there students?

Some people give Christmas gifts to their garbage man, their mail carrier, the person delivers the newspaper, etc. Do you think all these people should give gifts to all those they serve as well? Or do you just have a problem with teachers?

I teach between 130-150 students per week, depending on the year.

dogluva said:
Wow. I really believe that people do not like teachers anymore. This was not nice. I know that the music teacher where I work goes above and beyond this time of year with all the concerts. She gives up her nights and those are not paid. The kids talk about the concerts the next day like it was the happiest night of their lives.She has to do multiple nights because of the amount of grades and students. So, yes, I believe that music teachers do give the gift of music regardless of getting paid or not. I loved, loved my music teacher and still remember her so fondly even though I couldn't read a not and was so shy I did not even sing. She instilled a love of music in me that I truly believe was a gift even though I am sure she recieved a paycheck.

I give all DS's teachers small gifts, but a little extra for his music teacher. She gave him so much help and encouragement throughout the year, motivating him to practice his piano although it is not her job. She is also very involved in community events, helping out at fundraising and stuff like these.

No need for name calling. Just stating a fact.

Many kids go over and above as students but don't receive gifts from their teachers.

Not to take away from the point of this thread (which I think is just fine for teachers to share their gifts from students), but apparantely there are some teachers out there who would protect their students no matter the personal sacrifice. I'm thinking there are a handful of parents in Newtown, CT thankful for the gift of life Victoria Soto gave the surviving children in her class.

Your comments are quite rude towards those who are educators. No, I'm not a teacher, nor is anyone in my family, but you, are just offensive. Bad day???

Not to take away from the point of this thread (which I think is just fine for teachers to share their gifts from students), but apparantely there are some teachers out there who would protect their students no matter the personal sacrifice. I'm thinking there are a handful of parents in Newtown, CT thankful for the gift of life Victoria Soto gave the surviving children in her class.

Your comments are quite rude towards those who are educators. No, I'm not a teacher, nor is anyone in my family, but you, are just offensive. Bad day???

I have not said anything rude and I do not like you calling me rude. Isn't there a DIS law about name calling?

My husband is a cop. If he took "gifts" as thanks for his job he would be fired. As he should be. People in public service who accept gifts can be biased. Teachers are no different. My opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter