Survivor Fans-boston Rob/paradise Island

This was my first season watching Amazing Race and I thoroughly enjoyed the show until Producer Intervention took over. In our post 9/11 security world, I found it hard to believe a non-ticketed non-standby passenger
can get on a plane after it was closed and gangway removed. Good Luck to
American Airlines agents trying to explain that to late arriving ticketed passengers for the next five years.

Why wasn't U & J eliminated as was the case on the six other Races when
they came in last half way thru the episode? Other AR fans have pointed that out on other boards.

I still don't think U & J debt to the cabdriver was totally satisfied. Joyce said
"the cabdriver said that was close enough". If they had negotiated with the
cabdriver ahead of time by saying we only have $ 40 dollars will you accept it then that would be fine.

For the anti-Rob & Amber fans who complained they received too much help because of their fame. They totally rocked for the first half of the show and
built a 3 hour and 7 hour lead over the two other teams before a "bunching"
point from the producers sabotaged their efforts.

R&A were clearly the best team and would have won if this was a true race.

However they made a critical mistake in not yielding U&J in London when they had the chance to bounce them from the race in favor of M&G (assuming that R&A knew that R&K were solidly in 2nd at that point).

jhorstma said:
R&A were clearly the best team and would have won if this was a true race.

However they made a critical mistake in not yielding U&J in London when they had the chance to bounce them from the race in favor of M&G (assuming that R&A knew that R&K were solidly in 2nd at that point).

That is a very good point. Rob was never worried about who came in last, only that he came in first. That was a critical error.

As for the other post above, U&J were ticketed for a later AA flight. You do not have to have standby tickets to actually receive a standby seat. While I agree the video cameras helped get U&J on the plane, I doubt producers would have stepped in given the amount of people involved, something definately would have leaked. Just my opinion :earsgirl:

All the contestants have to follow some guidelines/rules made by AR. In order for a team to be on a plane there also has to be a seat for their camera person. While you see them purchase 2 tickets, someone from AR has already notified the airline or notifies them and if there are not seats for everyone they will not get a ticket. AR does it all in the editing.

As far as the next AR, it's going to be filmed this summer and it's family members of 4 (min. age 13 yrs I think). That should be an interesting race to watch as just the logistics of groups of 4 versus those of 2 will have an impact.

Just remember, they edited a lot of stuff out and I heard Joyce talking on one of the morning shows about bickering with the counter agent to let them go standby for that flight and someother details that we did NOT see. Perhaps AR edited that sequence out for time reasons, but because of their editing they've opened up a can of worms where cautious people think it was rigged. If they showed the whole sequence as it unravelled, there wouldn't be questions about producer intervention or it being rigged....we just didn't see it all. And having worked at a security clearance level in the aerospace industry for 12 years I can assure you NO PASSENGER can board a plane without a ticket, whether there are cameras rolling or not with producer involvement or not, especially on an international flight going into the USA. ;)

I'm glad U & J won! I also had tears in my eyes. Uchenna said the race brought them closer together. I'm happy for them. I hope invitro works for them.

I don't think the race was fixed at the airport. I've been able to get on a plane at the last minute without standby. I had a ticket for a different time same destination and saw the boarding sign flashing for the earlier flight as I was walking to my ticketed flight. The attendant at the gate called the pilot and they let me board.

By having places where people can "catch up," it keeps the race interesting. If the couple that came in first always had the lead, potentially they could gain a huge lead and there wouldn't be an exciting finish.

I've enjoyed this thread and all the inside information. We'll be watching R&A's wedding too. I'm glad they were in it until the last show of AR.

:cheer2: :love1: :cheer2: :love1: :cheer2:

LiserAnn said:
And having worked at a security clearance level in the aerospace industry for 12 years I can assure you NO PASSENGER can board a plane without a ticket, whether there are cameras rolling or not with producer involvement or not, especially on an international flight going into the USA. ;)

Not a huge deal, but they were coming from Puerto Rico.

The thing that seemed weird to me was that Rob & Amber seemed to beg, plead and argue to get on that flight and they were allowed. U & J got to the gate and they said it was closed and they were like, oh well. They didn't seem to push the issue. The next thing you know the pilot is allowing them to board.

On a separate issue, when R&A boarded the last flight, Rob made the comment that they would leave their backpacks on the plane to lighten their load for the final leg. I assume they didn't end up doing this? I imagine FAA would frown on them leaving unattended baggage on a commerical airliner.

TheWog said:
Not a huge deal, but they were coming from Puerto Rico.
Ooops, they were in so many places I lost track :goodvibes , for some reason I was thinking Europe. Well, in that case FAA guidelines apply and again, there's no way they could have gotten on that flight without having a ticket and gone through security, etc. There are no exceptions for wonderful, engaging shows like the AR, cameras or not. I'm sure the cameras helped American Airlines decide to let them on, esp if they had space.

Nope, they didn't have anything with them for that last part of the race. I was surprised about that too. I wonder what ended up happening to their stuff.

Joel110 said:
On a separate issue, when R&A boarded the last flight, Rob made the comment that they would leave their backpacks on the plane to lighten their load for the final leg. I assume they didn't end up doing this? I imagine FAA would frown on them leaving unattended baggage on a commerical airliner.

But,they did go through secruity so on that point of view, their backpacks become lost or forgotten luggage. I'm sure this has happened numerous times.

Rob put their backpacks up in the overhead storage on the plane, he said to Amber that he was going to leave them there in hopes that someone would send their backpacks to them. He didn't want to carry the backpacks to the finish line figuring it might slow them down if it came to a foot race.

Rob & Amber were on Regis and Kelly yesterday and they implied that they thought things were fishy too!!

Great video clip. Uchenna speaks about how they were pleading with the gate attendant to call the pilot and how he went crazy in that airport because they couldn't get on a flight....all of which was edited out!

If Rob implied there was something fishy then he's probably heard of the rumormill going around different discussion boards and is feeding the hype. There were good things that happened to R&A during the race (like pilots letting them on too) that if someone wanted to call fishy could....he's just gonna have some fun with this! That's his personality!!

Joel110 said:

How would have the airlines known if they had left their luggage on the plane until well after they left the plane?
I have never seen the attendants check the overheads while everyone is getting off to see if people left anything. I'm sure people leave things up there all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter