Stroller for 8 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be at DW for 7 full days......we plan on bringing the regular stroller for DD4...but I'm concerned that with all of the walking.....my DS8 will get tired.

I think that DS8 will fit in the stroller that we plan on bringing....but I'm wondering we should borrow another Umbrella Stroller or even rent one at the Parks.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

I can see DS8 being incredibly tired....partly cuz he can be lazy and whiny at times....and I don't want to carry him around a lot.

I'm sure this thread has blown up and I'm going to be one of those and not read any of the comments but wanted to share my expereince. My DS7 (turned 7 5 days after we returned) went stroller free this year and was fine. We hit the parks like normal and did as much walking as we always do and he didn't whine at all. My DS is super lazy and will flat out tell you that. He loves to play at home but anything too straining and he will take a break even if it's too much activity playing the Wii. :rolleyes: Here is an example of how lazy he is: as we pull into the DHS parking lot on our first day he says to me:
DS: "Isn't this where the Honey I Shrunk the kids playground is?"
Me: "Yes I'm suprised you remember that (we were there 2 years ago with him)? but we won't be doing that today we will do it sometime this week".
DS: "well it was really cool. "
Me: "I know, it is neat we will make sure we stop and play there later this week"
DS: "Well it's cool but I'd rather ride rides b/c at least you get to sit down while you do that, if I play I'll have to be up and running around and that's tiring"

now that lazy kid did fine without a stroller. he disn't whine or cry all week and DH never had to carry him. I was shocked, we were fully expecting by day 3 to back out on our no stoller you are a big boy rule and be at walmart getting an umbrella one (he is tiny under 40 lbs at 7 so can still safely use one) but we never had to. I think it really helped that we told him no stroller upfront and that we didn't take on as a crutch. Had we taken one he would have whined and cried till we went back and got it at the condo on the first or second day.

Good luck, its a very personal decision but being stroller free is a fabulous way to tour the parks :woohoo: even if in your case its just one less stroller.

Personally, If I found myself planning a "vacation" that would run my healthy seven-year-old ragged, I would consider changing my mind and planning one that didn't. To each his own.

Okay folks this is the final warning. Continued attacks and name calling will not be tolerated.
You can agree or disagree with the use of strollers for an older child but do so in a respectable manner.

If you are going at the pace of your child you will not need a stroller, especially for an 8 year old. As I have commented many times on threads like this. The stroller is for you at that point and not for them. Whats the rush? You aren't going to miss anything and if you do who cares! You'll be back soon enough.

Yep that is the way it is. I can look, even stare all I want at something out in public, I can even take a picture to post on FB with a funny comment (and they are out there) if I want. But when you verbally attack/threaten someone you have crossed the line.

Saying something back to someone who crosses the line doesn't equate to a verbal attack. It wont be along the lines of "what are you staring at ****," as never once have I raised my voice and yelled/cursed at someone else in the presence of my children or their children, but surely along the lines of, "is there a reason why you're staring at my child, making both of us feel so uncomfortable?" Feel free to look at stare, but if you cross the line, be prepared for some people to take issue with it.

Personally, If I found myself planning a "vacation" that would run my healthy seven-year-old ragged, I would consider changing my mind and planning one that didn't. To each his own.

Ding, Ding, Ding - "Johnny, we have a winner tell them what they've won"

"Well, you have won a stress free vacation free of unhappy kids and stressed out parents"

:thumbsup2

As a teacher who works with children in the 7-8 year old age group I absolutely can't imagine any of my able bodied children wanting to be pushed in a stroller in WDW or anywhere for that matter. Most children this age are striving for independence and well let’s face it being pushed around in a stroller is a giant step back in fostering that independence that is so crucial at this particular age. I think this is more for the parents who want to go go go and get the most bang for their buck in WDW. I see this type of behavior from my helicopter parents and let me tell you socially they are not doing their children any favors because their peers pick up on this.

Goodness this is a heated subject.
I just want to say as a mother of a child with a medical condition who needs to be in a stroller (well he's 10 now so I have to what else is available now) that it isn't always evident if an older child is in a stroller due to an unseen medical issue. If you looked at my DS you would just think he was a slighly small, skinny, 10 year old. The fact is he has a life threatning illness if hegets overly tierd can put make him more llikely to become ill. We take every precaution we can to keep him safe (since he should be able to enjoy WDW too) and one of those is a stroller.
I know that alot of posters have said that is is exceptible for a child with medical condition to be in a stroller, I just want to remind everyone that it isn't always easy to tell which child has a condition and which doesn't. I just want to bring this up since people have mentioned people giving dirty looks to someone pushing around an older child around the parks.
Last year I brought my son (who had just turned 9) to the parks in a Volo umbrella stroller. I probably got a look or two, but I must admite that I wasn't really paying attention to it. My thoughts were on the fun we were having. One woman did ask me why my son got to go in a diffrent line for ST (we had a sticker for the stroller to be used a wheelchair). She thought it was because he had on a birthday button because she wanted to get special line access because it was her DD's b-day. I had to explain that my DS had a medical condition, my son was in the wheelchair entrance, and it didn't mean we would have a lesser wait in that entrance. She still walked away from me shooting me daggers.
I guess it's true what they say about assuming.

Goodness this is a heated subject.
I just want to say as a mother of a child with a medical condition who needs to be in a stroller (well he's 10 now so I have to what else is available now) that it isn't always evident if an older child is in a stroller due to an unseen medical issue. If you looked at my DS you would just think he was a slighly small, skinny, 10 year old. The fact is he has a life threatning illness if hegets overly tierd can put make him more llikely to become ill. We take every precaution we can to keep him safe (since he should be able to enjoy WDW too) and one of those is a stroller.
I know that alot of posters have said that is is exceptible for a child with medical condition to be in a stroller, I just want to remind everyone that it isn't always easy to tell which child has a condition and which doesn't. I just want to bring this up since people have mentioned people giving dirty looks to someone pushing around an older child around the parks.
Last year I brought my son (who had just turned 9) to the parks in a Volo umbrella stroller. I probably got a look or two, but I must admite that I wasn't really paying attention to it. My thoughts were on the fun we were having. One woman did ask me why my son got to go in a diffrent line for ST (we had a sticker for the stroller to be used a wheelchair). She thought it was because he had on a birthday button because she wanted to get special line access because it was her DD's b-day. I had to explain that my DS had a medical condition, my son was in the wheelchair entrance, and it didn't mean we would have a lesser wait in that entrance. She still walked away from me shooting me daggers.
I guess it's true what they say about assuming.

I have read most, but not all posts, and I will say that I was under the impression that 99% of them were about children without any medical condition (seen or invisible). I believe one area that every person on this thread can agree is that children (or adults for that matter) with special needs should address them however it works best for them - especially at WDW - so that they can all have a great time.

However, on the topic of able-bodied 8 year olds in strollers...OP you are free to do what you want, but since you asked for my opinion:
1) I believe that 8 is way past the age for appropriateness in a stroller. Not that he won't get tired - adults get tired there too! But because they are way old enough to be taking responsibility for themselves (of course, not carrying them ever would be the first step toward this). In other words, if you are going to be whiney at WDW, then, for my own kids, you don't deserve to be there. And - to start learning now that you have to work for what you get is not a bad idea. So if you WANT the fun of WDW, you can't expect to just sit there like a king/queen while I do all the work for you to have that fun.
2) I personally dislike the 'entitlement' of many of the next generation. And I personally also feel that this type of situation adds to/promotes it. I have seen teenagers and young adults who have no appreciation for things they are given and instead want more or want it handed to them with no finger lifted on their own part. I know that all of you posting on this do not fall into this category as you will be commenting about how your child is not entitled and constantly appreciative, so I am not referring to you. But I'm guessing that you have seen others who fall into this category - they just likely won't post here.
3) I know that with my own whiney child constantly giving her ice cream or pizza or whatever will appease her and make it a quieter vacation overall, but I do not believe that is the best way to parent her. I feel the same about putting her in a stroller to appease her.
4) There are many posts here about 5 or 6 year olds and how they ended up in a stroller...I personally feel there is a BIG difference between 5 and 8. I might agree with you on the 5 year old.

And, to add my own personal experience. The rule in our house was no stroller at WDW after 5. When ds was 6 and dd was 5 - he walked with no issues. First trip after dd was 6 she did get tired/whiney a couple of times. But last year with them 7 and 8 they went all day long, no issues, could stay late at the parks, etc. I think part that helped dd was knowing that a stroller was not an option at all after she turned 6. She wasn't expecting it and knew it wasn't going to happen. That way she know her only option was to walk.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

Saying something back to someone who crosses the line doesn't equate to a verbal attack. It wont be along the lines of "what are you staring at ****," as never once have I raised my voice and yelled/cursed at someone else in the presence of my children or their children, but surely along the lines of, "is there a reason why you're staring at my child, making both of us feel so uncomfortable?" Feel free to look at stare, but if you cross the line, be prepared for some people to take issue with it.

What I don't understand is if all the folks who put older kids in baby strollers feel it is so right and normal why does it bother you at all that people stare, roll their eyes and laugh and snicker? when I had my toddler in a stroller I never cared who looked at them.

Any time you do something out of the norm you can expect to get a reaction and having an 8 yr old in a baby stroller is out of the norm so it isn't unbelievable that people stare, just as they would stare if you had really unusual hair color, or a tremendous amount of piercings.

What I don't understand is if all the folks who put older kids in baby strollers feel it is so right and normal why does it bother you at all that people stare, roll their eyes and laugh and snicker? when I had my toddler in a stroller I never cared who looked at them.

Any time you do something out of the norm you can expect to get a reaction and having an 8 yr old in a baby stroller is out of the norm so it isn't unbelievable that people stare, just as they would stare if you had really unusual hair color, or a tremendous amount of piercings.

It wouldn't bother you if someone laughed, snickered etc at your child's expense? That I don't get.

Again, it's not a "baby" stroller and we aren't talking about all day- my point was a few hours at the end of the day if the kid is feeling like the day caught up with them. Have you not seen the hard-shell strollers in the parks?

I have read most, but not all posts, and I will say that I was under the impression that 99% of them were about children without any medical condition (seen or invisible). I believe one area that every person on this thread can agree is that children (or adults for that matter) with special needs should address them however it works best for them - especially at WDW - so that they can all have a great time.

However, on the topic of able-bodied 8 year olds in strollers...

I totally understand that and have given my opinion on that many pages back. I just want to remind everyone thought while it is great that we understand some kids need strollers for medical reasons it isn't always apparent that a child in a stroller has a medical reason or not.

I have also read a couple people (very few I admite) who said that a child in a stroller would be stared at, made fun of, and laughed at. I just want to remind people that you can't always tell which is which.

I just don't want a child who needs to be in a stroller because he has special needs feel bad because others are assuming he is lazy for being in a stroller. I know it isn't directly related to the OP's question, but with people talking about kids in strollers being made fun of I just thought I would bring it up.

That being said, I can't wait to go to Disney World next year with my kids. And if you choose to make comments about my son still being in a stroller/wheelchair. . .well except my smile as I go on having fun at the most magical place in the world.:goodvibes

It wouldn't bother you if someone laughed, snickered etc at your child's expense? That I don't get.

Again, it's not a "baby" stroller and we aren't talking about all day- my point was a few hours at the end of the day if the kid is feeling like the day caught up with them. Have you not seen the hard-shell strollers in the parks?

To tell you the truth, when I see an older child scrunched up in a stroller, I may look, and I may :rolleyes:. But I'm not judging the child- I'm quietly expressing my opinion of the parenting. Just to set the record straight.

And also to the posters expressing concern over children with medical issues- that is not the focus of this thread. I thought the OP made that clear.

To tell you the truth, when I see an older child scrunched up in a stroller, I may look, and I may :rolleyes:. But I'm not judging the child- I'm quietly expressing my opinion of the parenting. Just to set the record straight.

And also to the posters expressing concern over children with medical issues- that is not the focus of this thread. I thought the OP made that clear.

As I said above I do understand that that is not the focus of the thread. But as you just stated you would be quietly expressing your opinion on the parenting of an older child in a stroller. How can you come to a conclusion about parenting if you do not know the circumstances.

Once again I know this is not directly what the OP was asking about, but with so many people giving opinions about kids in strollers I just want to remind everyone that just because a child is in a stroller doesn't mean the child is lazy. I would not have made this statement if I have not seen so many people making statments about kids being in strollers because they are lazy or having bad parents.

I am just asking everyone who are making these comments to not come to the conclusing that a child in a stroller with no obvious medical issues might be in a stroller for a very spacific reason.

If a parent does not feel self conscious pushing an 8 yr. old in a stroller or "gasp" carrying him because he is whiney, lazy, tired, why would they even notice that someone may be rolling their eyes at others in their party. As a pp pointed out, you don't feel self conscious with a small child because it's the expected thing to do. I have yet to hear of, or see, anyone "say" anything derogatory to the said person or child. If you want to do things differently than the norm, you will usually have people do a double take at your actions no matter what it is. Society, in general, sets a "norm" and anything out of that "norm" usually causes second looks or raised eyebrows. It should not matter to the person as they already know it's not the norm, but is something they are going to do, which is their business. Actually, I can't, for the life of me, understand why people ask these kind of questions on the Dis, because they know what they are going to do. Expressing opinions concerning the thread is what this is all about, and when you post a VERY controversial thread, then you shouldn't be surprised, or upset, angry, or whatever, at what others express concerning it. :rolleyes1

As I said above I do understand that that is not the focus of the thread. But as you just stated you would be quietly expressing your opinion on the parenting of an older child in a stroller. How can you come to a conclusion about parenting if you do not know the circumstances.

In a perfect society filled with perfect people then that might be something to expect, or to at least hope for. But in the real world it's never going to happen. Just sayin'.

It would be nice if people didn't judge an ECV driver just because they're a few pounds overweight, or the group of loud teenagers clogging up a queue or the poor shmuck who can't fold up his stroller fast enough before getting on a bus. But again, I think I'll be dead and buried before that ever comes to pass.

People, rightly or wrongly, form opinions of people, places and events around them. It is human nature. How you choose to express that opinion- now that is something different. I'm not sure how one would go about policing everyone's facial expressions.

:woohoo:
We will be at DW for 7 full days......we plan on bringing the regular stroller for DD4...but I'm concerned that with all of the walking.....my DS8 will get tired.

I think that DS8 will fit in the stroller that we plan on bringing....but I'm wondering we should borrow another Umbrella Stroller or even rent one at the Parks.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

I can see DS8 being incredibly tired....partly cuz he can be lazy and whiny at times....and I don't want to carry him around a lot.

I quoted the original question, you really have to be shallow minded if you think after what started as a simple question, some of you don't have issues....It went from an 8 year old question, to immature adults turning it into a bad parenting, or a lazy child that has no discipline, or a laughing at the child...Bla Bla BLA!!
Yes people are entitled to post there opinions, but most of you, go off on other tangents that really don't relate to the question..... I find SOME not all, with lots of post (VETS) think they know it all but in reality you know very little and lash out in rudeness!!! I agree Name calling and threats shouldn't even come about among adults, but I will tell anyone, if they were making my child feel insecure or laughing at instead of with, then I would defend my child as I'm sure most of you would. Set an example for the one in the stroller, and the one not in the stroller regardless of age.... The Lady that said she would stare and snicker, you should really be the one in the stroller!!

In a perfect society filled with perfect people then that might be something to expect, or to at least hope for. But in the real world it's never going to happen. Just sayin'.

It would be nice if people didn't judge an ECV driver just because they're a few pounds overweight, or the group of loud teenagers clogging up a queue or the poor shmuck who can't fold up his stroller fast enough before getting on a bus. But again, I think I'll be dead and buried before that ever comes to pass.

People, rightly or wrongly, form opinions of people, places and events around them. It is human nature. How you choose to express that opinion- now that is something different. I'm not sure how one would go about policing everyone's facial expressions.

Yea I agree. And as I tell my kids, the only person you have control of is yourself. :)

:woohoo:

I quoted the original question, you really have to be shallow minded if you think after what started as a simple question, some of you don't have issues....It went from an 8 year old question, to immature adults turning it into a bad parenting, or a lazy child that has no discipline, or a laughing at the child...Bla Bla BLA!!
Yes people are entitled to post there opinions, but most of you, go off on other tangents that really don't relate to the question..... I find SOME not all, with lots of post (VETS) think they know it all but in reality you know very little and lash out in rudeness!!! I agree Name calling and threats shouldn't even come about among adults, but I will tell anyone, if they were making my child feel insecure or laughing at instead of with, then I would defend my child as I'm sure most of you would. Set an example for the one in the stroller, and the one not in the stroller regardless of age.... The Lady that said she would stare and snicker, you should really be the one in the stroller!!

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter