Stroller for 8 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, if someone gives me or my kids a glaring, dirty look because I'm pushing an exhausted kid around, there will be words exchanged, along the lines of "Is there a reason why you're staring?" More likely, I won't be nearly as pleasant if you're going to get involved in my business. You're on your vacation, I'm on mine. Push it any further and I'll follow you around the park for the rest of the day, pointing out everything you do wrong with your family.

I'm really not sure where you are going with the second part of your post. Are you somehow implying that a parent pushing an older, tired kid in a stroller for a few minutes is not a good parent, nor is the child a good child?

:scared1: Security, please........

First of all, if someone gives me or my kids a glaring, dirty look because I'm pushing an exhausted kid around, there will be words exchanged, along the lines of "Is there a reason why you're staring?" More likely, I won't be nearly as pleasant if you're going to get involved in my business. You're on your vacation, I'm on mine. Push it any further and I'll follow you around the park for the rest of the day, pointing out everything you do wrong with your family.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=insecurity+and+anger+issues

This link may help you out.

While we may disagree about who should/shouldn't and who we would and wouldn't push in a stroller, at least I can understand your desire to go on your vacation and push your kid when they are tired as opposed to other options. I may not agree, but I can comprehend it.

What I cannot comprehend is why anyone would think an appropriate response to what they think is a judgemental look would be to engage in a verbal "argument" in front of kids at a theme park. If you really don't care what other people think, just move on and don't let it affect you. if you care what other people think, than you must expect that you will be judged, we all are, every day, like it or not....that's life.

:scared1: Security, please........

Clearly you, and some of the others, can't deal with a little sarcasm.

My point at the end of the day is this. If my kid's tired after having walked 4 miles and wants to crash for a bit as we head through the park, it's no business of yours or anyone else's, that he's doing so in a park stroller.

You worry about your kids, I'll worry about mine. That being said, make a comment to my face because my kid is relaxing for a few minutes- expect a response.

Well she sounds so perfect and gets called Kid?

Lol my point being where some people are from "Kid" is slang, just like any parent we all think our D'S or DD walks on water. What it boils down to is if you want your DS or DD in a stroller, do it!! As much as some of you complain I have to wonder if you really have fun? Lol... Parent ur child not someone else's!!

To OP, we used a stroller for our 6 year old boy because he is more heat sensitive and that combined with the walking seemed to really wear him out fast. When he was 8, he did not want the stroller. He had one bad day at DHS (for some reason that park is the one that always seems to get to him with regards to the heat) but otherwise we made out well.

My daughter is 2 years younger.... when she was 6 she did not want a stroller.....just like her brother :goodvibes She is not heat sensitive but we were concerned. She made out just fine. It was a little slower getting from A to B but like I said... we made out well.

My kids are both competitive hockey players and in great shape.... if your 8 year old is not, you may have to factor that into your decision.

I did not read through the whole thread so I just thought I would mention how the heat plays a role in addition to all the walking.

To the OP..this topic makes many crazy and their posts will sometimes give you nighmares.....we went to the World last August and YES we used a stroller for my 6 year old son...no one looked at us and if they did who cares??? YOU are spending a lot of money for your vacation and if people want to look at a child in a stroller that is their problem. No one knows your situation and it is OK for any child to be in a stroller. It doesn't matter how active a kid is in their every day life, because their every day life is not walking miles in HOT, HUMID weather for hours! My son is 7 this year and we are going back and forth with the idea so WE are bringing the stroller and using it if we think he needs it. I mean think about late at night after a long day, do YOU want to be carrying an 8year old? So once again I am saying- do as YOU feel and take some of these comments with a grain of salt, because some are very judgmental. Enjoy YOUR vacation!!!

I will answer this question the way I have answered it any other time.

DD was 5 years old on our first trip. We did not take a stroller for her, but we eventually rented one on the third or fourth day of the trip. Even still, she did not ride in it the whole day. It was more of a backup for the end of the day because the rest of us did not want to take breaks or go back to the room.

Fast forward to now. DS just turned 8. He is autistic, has sensory issues, low muscle tone, low stamina, and he is generally very "clunky" on his feet. We are planning on renting a double stroller at Disney for him next week when we are there. I know he is "too old" for a stroller. I know people will look at me with condescension for my choice because they don't know he has an invisible disability. I don't really care. He is my kid and I know what he needs in order to have an enjoyable trip.

My point is, all kids are different. Just because Mrs. Smith's 4 year old can tour the parks in true commando fashion with no stroller doesn't mean Mrs. Jones's 6 year old can do the same. If it turns out that your 8 year old needs a stroller, you put that 8 year old in a stroller and do it with a smile! :thumbsup2

Have a great trip.

AMEN!

You do what you need to do to have a great trip.

Of course it's my opinion. But don't be surprised when people (including other kids) roll their eyes and snicker.

I am sorry but I have to respond-if people "roll their eyes and snicker" at a CHILD in Disney World in a stroller,(any age), then that is sad for them because obviously they are not looking at the beauty of the place! It amazes me much people have to say about CHILDREN in strollers!

Well LSUfan4444, I'm a Pelican too (from Hammond) so guess we are both "bored Yokels" - didn't realize it before now though :confused3 Giving a "look" to an older child in a stroller became "an exchange of verbal words". This has actually not been said of/to anyone. I don't even give dirty looks, maybe a second glance, but don't think that could be enough to make a person so angry. Hopefully we'll never be at the parks at the same time;) GO LSU :-)

I read a couple of the middle thread responses. :sad2: Not sure why things get so nasty at times. :confused3

It kind of goes like this I think. You have some people who just have to stick their noses in other people's business and pass their judgement on them. Then some others respond by passing judgement on them for passing judgement on others. Then those who were originally passing judgements on others don't appreciate being judged by others for passing judgement on others and things start to get personal until it ends up being a nasty tit for tat with everyone trying hard to get in the last catty jab before the thread gets locked.

I am sorry but I have to respond-if people "roll their eyes and snicker" at a CHILD in Disney World in a stroller,(any age), then that is sad for them because obviously they are not looking at the beauty of the place! It amazes me much people have to say about CHILDREN in strollers!

It isn't just children in strollers. It's anyone or anything that is different from their perfect perception of themselves.

We personally use four as a rule of thumb for the cut off age of when a child can walk all day. Four or under, bring a stroller. Five and up, you can walk (we'll take breaks as needed, or I may carry a very tired child for a bit).

Now, if we have a stroller for a younger sibling, younger sibling still wants to ride, and that fiveish year old child mark wants to take a quick break.... yeah, okay.

I can't imagine a normal child much over the age of five even considering riding in a stroller, but I can tell you this - when we are on vacation, we're worrying about our family... not yours. If you want to push an eight year old in a stroller, we might notice, we might not. We won't care either way.

You have to wonder if some of the rude people need to be in strollers or a straight Jacket... Lol
If a child in a stroller bothers you at any age , you have serious issues!

That being said, what parent do you think would actually be tolerant of having complete strangers shoot dirty looks in their kids' direction or even worse, direct a comment that way?

Personally I'd respond with a smile and a wave. If they were in ear shot I might add "Have a nice day!"

I'm not going to let nasty noseybodies ruin my family's vacation.

My children are extremely athletic. It's not uncommon for my seven year old to swim laps for an hour with the swim team and go to dance class right after. She swims five hours a week, dances twomhours a week and depending on the season, throw two or three hours of soccer or basketball into the mix. She's not lazy by any stretch of the imagination.

But where we live the sun is not strong and our hottest summer days don't compare to the Orlando heat and the strength of the sun. It's not the activity that will slow her down at WDW, it's the intense sun. It can really wear you out!

She walked Manhattan for seven hours with no breaks on spring break but I still might get a double stroller in case she wants to sit in FL. I know the four year old won't make it all day. The seven year old might. And she might not. And if she wants to sit in a stroller, it's her vacation too. Why should she have to run herself ragged in the hot summer heat that she is not accustomed to just because some cranky people around here say she is too old???

Why should she have to run herself ragged in the hot summer heat that she is not accustomed to just because some cranky people around here say she is too???

Because there's a few misguided folks in this thread who apparently believe that it has to be their way, and their way alone....

So let me get this straight- it's OK for you to look and glare at my kids in the stroller, but if you then say something, only then you've crossed the line?

I don't think it's okay for anyone to give you're kids a nasty glare for being in a stroller. I am in no way defending that. There are plenty of things I do not think are "okay". But, I also not think that an appropriate response in front of my own children and plenty of others is to engage everyone who does something I don't think is "okay" into an argument or to respond them with a comment. I have betetr things to do on my vacation than notice, care and respond to everyone (or anyone for that fact) who gives a look to me or my family that I interpret as judgemental. Short of me being concerned that someone is literally dangerous, I can't see myself "giving a piece of my mind" for a look. Even if someone makes a comment to someone else in my party that I overhear.

Outside of verbal abuse, threat of physical violence or threat of someone getting physical, I can't see any reason to respond.

But if you do more than just "look" and make them feel like oddities because where they're sitting somehow doesn't conform with your high and mighty ideals, to the point where they know you're staring, of course I'm going to say something.

I get it. You have made yourself perfectly clear. You want other people to look away, but you are not willing to do it yourself.

I hope you have never experienced anything like this and I hope you never do. I can't think of many things worse while being in Disney World than arguing with a stranger over how they looked at me or my family and I certainly no kids have to see such a thing while at the most magical place on earth.

So let me get this straight- it's OK for you to look and glare at my kids in the stroller, but if you then say something, only then you've crossed the line?

Yep that is the way it is. I can look, even stare all I want at something out in public, I can even take a picture to post on FB with a funny comment (and they are out there) if I want. But when you verbally attack/threaten someone you have crossed the line.

No name calling but rude and or demeaning comments about parenting, eating habits, video games etc is encouraged lol!!!
WOW!!!

Why should she have to run herself ragged in the hot summer heat that she is not accustomed to just because some cranky people around here say she is too old???

Oh, she shouldn't. You should do everything in your power to try and provide the best scenerio for your family to have the best vacation possible.

:cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter