Stroller for 8 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CableKC

DIS Veteran
We will be at DW for 7 full days......we plan on bringing the regular stroller for DD4...but I'm concerned that with all of the walking.....my DS8 will get tired.

I think that DS8 will fit in the stroller that we plan on bringing....but I'm wondering we should borrow another Umbrella Stroller or even rent one at the Parks.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

I can see DS8 being incredibly tired....partly cuz he can be lazy and whiny at times....and I don't want to carry him around a lot.

Ha ha..I cant wait to see where this one goes!! :rotfl:

They have strollers there to rent including double ones..maybe wait and see?

and my point of view for kiddos..if I gotta walk, you gotta walk, cause if you push them around, YOU will be tired at the end of the day and they will be FULL of energy!!

my kids were 9 when they first went to disney..we all survived

The first time we went to WDW, my boys were 6 and 8. No strollers and they were both fine. They would have been horrified if I had tried to put them in a stroller.

You know your child though better than anyone, so you have to decide what's right for you and yours.:goodvibes

When our youngest was 4 we told her that if she was tired we could rest. We didnt use a stroller If she complained we would leave the parks. At that age she did just fine. We stopped at times and had a drink and then she would be ready to go some more. She didn't want to leave the parks. :goodvibes

This is how we still do it for any of us (our youngest is turning 18 in a week :love:).

Have a good trip.

Heck NO!!!

Children have way more energy than adults. Disney isn't a marathon. It is a lot of walking but it is also a lot of standing and sitting and riding. there is very little sustained walking.

My kids never used a stroller past 4 and did fine. We go from RD to close and have never had a problem.

I do have to address the "I don't want to carry them" comment I always hear.
Then don't! I can't imagine carrying an 8 yr old. I have a very bad back and I'm very petite-barely 5 ft. I rarely carried my kids past toddler hood and never once they were in school.

Another thought an 8 yr old is not going to even think about being in a stroller so why should you think about it. They will just expect to walk.

I will answer this question the way I have answered it any other time.

DD was 5 years old on our first trip. We did not take a stroller for her, but we eventually rented one on the third or fourth day of the trip. Even still, she did not ride in it the whole day. It was more of a backup for the end of the day because the rest of us did not want to take breaks or go back to the room.

Fast forward to now. DS just turned 8. He is autistic, has sensory issues, low muscle tone, low stamina, and he is generally very "clunky" on his feet. We are planning on renting a double stroller at Disney for him next week when we are there. I know he is "too old" for a stroller. I know people will look at me with condescension for my choice because they don't know he has an invisible disability. I don't really care. He is my kid and I know what he needs in order to have an enjoyable trip.

My point is, all kids are different. Just because Mrs. Smith's 4 year old can tour the parks in true commando fashion with no stroller doesn't mean Mrs. Jones's 6 year old can do the same. If it turns out that your 8 year old needs a stroller, you put that 8 year old in a stroller and do it with a smile! :thumbsup2

Have a great trip.

My eight year son old would be mortified if we put him in a stroller. However, every child is different. Your only concern is how your child will feel. So ask yourself, how will he feel about this. Ask him as well.

Do what makes life easier for you.

Next, will your son fit into a stroller. Seriously, my nephew would not at eight. My son does. He is on the skinny side.

Lastly, you are worried about your eight year old wearing out. My eight year old can run circles around me. I can only remember having that kind of energy. Think about what they do at school and in the backyard. Are really sure that he will wear out before you?

Okay......thanks for your responses.....it's food for thought.....regardless....we will bring the stroller for the 4 year old.....but I will resist bringing one for DS8.

We will be at DW for 7 full days......we plan on bringing the regular stroller for DD4...but I'm concerned that with all of the walking.....my DS8 will get tired.

I think that DS8 will fit in the stroller that we plan on bringing....but I'm wondering we should borrow another Umbrella Stroller or even rent one at the Parks.

I can see DS8 being incredibly tired....partly cuz he can be lazy and whiny at times....and I don't want to carry him around a lot.
A typical 8yo should be able to make it through a day in the parks, assuming you make sure he's getting enough sleep.

If he can't, I would take him to the doctor, just to be on the safe side.

I don't know how you're planning to fit an 8yo into an umbrella stroller. :confused: those Disney strollers might hold a kid that age...but most 8yo boys would rather have their moms kiss them goodbye in front of the other school kids than ride in a stroller...and they aren't big on the mom kisses!

We're doing a one day only mom and daughter trip so I was hoping to put my 7 year old in a stroller so I could go a little more commando. But "Mom! I'll be HUMILIATED!" On the other hand, my oldest son (then 10) would still get in his baby sister's stroller a few years ago every chance he could, and probably still would as a teenager. Depends on the kid. (For my kids it's always been the heat, not the amount of walking, that's done them in.)

Don't take a stroller for your 8yo. If you get there and decide he needs one that bad, then the rental cost will be worth it to you. Or if your 8yo is petite, a stroller with a standing board is an option (Peg Pliko or attachable board).

No, unless he has a medical condition or other special need he can walk. There are plenty of opportunities to rest.

You will see lots of older kids in "strollers" so you will not stand out that much. A lot of them have special needs either physical or to be insulated from the crowded social enviroment.

You have to do what is best for your child, that may be a stroller or it may be a slower pace.

Since you do not mention that your child has any sort of disability, I think getting a stroller to avoid whining and laziness is a bit much. How about doing some family walking before your trip?

Plan lots of breaks during your trip. Your trip is long enough to have plenty of time for some sitdown meals, go to lots of shows, etc. If your son gets whiny, ask if he wants to go back to the hotel room for a break, etc.

The first year we went to WDW my youngest was 8 yrs. old. That's her in the picture on the right. She did great and there is nobody more whiney than her(she'll love me for that one!). :thumbsup2

A healthy 8 year old does not need a stroller. If you are concerned about him getting tired, then take breaks. You're not on the Amazing Race. There are no prizes awarded for how fast you go through the parks.

If he's lazy and whiny, then it's time to nip that in the bud.

Do what will make your visit most pleasant.:thumbsup2

Age is just a number. My DD is 6 but is very, very tiny for her age. She is about the size of a large 3 yo/small 4 yo. She simply doesn't have the leg strength and stamina to walk alllll day, just as most three year olds don't. Add to that the fact that we often go in late August, the HOTTEST:scared1: time of year which can zap anyone's energy. Last year we left the stroller at home and it did make certain things easier, like busses, etc, but DH and my oldest DS ended up carrying her around A LOT, which is really not so fun in 98 degree heat!

Still we will leave the stroller at home again this year and hope it all goes ok but if I wanted to take one I wouldn't think twice about it.

The first time we went to WDW, my boys were 6 and 8. No strollers and they were both fine. They would have been horrified if I had tried to put them in a stroller.

You know your child though better than anyone, so you have to decide what's right for you and yours.:goodvibes

My youngest was 6 on his first trip,:scared1: if I would have even suggested the "s' word.

Our April trip Was the first without a double stroller. I had a single for DD4.5 and DS6.75 walked. It was pretty warm and DS was a trooper. But by the time we were wrapping up our day and/or leaving the park, DS was dragging. When that happened he'd hop in the stroller for a ride.

I am at WDW right now woth a 6yo. She is walking. Of course we take a lot of quick sit down breaks because of me not her. Once in a while she will ask to sit for a minute then is up and going. She is sleeping great because of all of the exercise she is getting.

Personally, a healthy 8 yr old should be able to walk it.If I even mentioned the word stroller to my 8 yr old she would give me the death stare, and she finds reason to whine about anything.But she knows disney =walking.She has been walking the parks since age 4, and she is a teeny little thing(now age 8 and only 44 inches tall and 40 lbs).We never made a stroller an option and we never had issues.TAKE breaks if you are tired.No need to exhaust yourselves it is not a race:goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter