Step By Step - How to Add Names to an Existing Contract (Gratuitous Transfer)

Wanted to come back and just further confirm ROFR does not seem to be a thing any longer with deed transfer to add names. Not sure about other things but not for adding names.

I also am using deeds I found on the comptroller site to create the deed I will submit. I am submitting 2 deeds. They stated if you have contracts at the same resort you can submit multiple on the same deed (there are examples on the comptroller site as well if you look).

Reminder if you are new to this search for the deed tax of $0.70 and the legal description of the resort in question for you.

Okay finally finalized my write up and got it notarized today. Mailing out today with a suspected 2-4 day delivery time and 7-10 day processing time.

Used the tip about including a envelope to see if that gets it done sooner.

I should see it on the website the first week of November hopefully.

Last edited:

County processed the deed yesterday.

I submitted to DVC last night. I would expect likely a month turn around with how slow they have been responding to everyone.

EDIT: processed by DVC the same week to get the new members added to the contract along with the 1 time activation numbers

Last edited:
I have a Grand Villas reserved for friends for June 2022 . I wish to add my 2 daughters to all of my DVC contracts. Can I do the deed change this year and wait to notify Member Services until June? Getting the 2 witnesses and notary is a bit of a hassle and I want to add the additional names to the contract that doesn't have existing reservations now. Thoughts?

I have a Grand Villas reserved for friends for June 2022 . I wish to add my 2 daughters to all of my DVC contracts. Can I do the deed change this year and wait to notify Member Services until June? Getting the 2 witnesses and notary is a bit of a hassle and I want to add the additional names to the contract that doesn't have existing reservations now. Thoughts?

Since you are remaining an owner with them, the change in deed will not impact any of the reservations in that membership. It would only matter if you were going to remove yourself and put it in their name.

I did this with my adult children. They added to our SSR contract and everything booked stayed the same since we remained owners with them. So, you can start the process now if you want or wait. But, you have to talk to membership administration and not MS to get information.

Since you are remaining an owner with them, the change in deed will not impact any of the reservations in that membership. It would only matter if you were going to remove yourself and put it in their name.

FWIW I wasn't on the actual deed, had a future reservation for myself, and I (with the help of my then soon-to-be ex) changed the deed from his name to my name, and the reservations stayed in place. The gratuitous transfer rules for reservations are different than non-grat.

Last edited:
So the physical membership cards came in the mail for the 2 individuals that were added.

All in we are looking at about 3 weeks to get someone added with account access and 4 weeks for the physical cards to arrive since I sent off the deeds to the county.

It was fairly painless and for our situation just looking at similar deeds on the county site helped us make sure nothing was missing.

So the physical membership cards came in the mail for the 2 individuals that were added.

All in we are looking at about 3 weeks to get someone added with account access and 4 weeks for the physical cards to arrive since I sent off the deeds to the county.

It was fairly painless and for our situation just looking at similar deeds on the county site helped us make sure nothing was missing.
Do the physical card still have the 12-31-21 expiration on them?

I just added 2 people to my direct DVC purchase deed so they will get the blue card benefits (such as they are at the moment). I submitted the deed and paperwork to Member Services a couple of days ago, so I'm waiting for everything to do though.

In addition to my direct contract, I also have resale contracts. Will the 2 people I added be able to "see" those resale contracts and associated reservations when they log into DVC or just the direct contract information?

I just added 2 people to my direct DVC purchase deed so they will get the blue card benefits (such as they are at the moment). I submitted the deed and paperwork to Member Services a couple of days ago, so I'm waiting for everything to do though.

In addition to my direct contract, I also have resale contracts. Will the 2 people I added be able to "see" those resale contracts and associated reservations when they log into DVC or just the direct contract information?
No, they will only "see" the points, reservations, and any other info related to the contracts they "own". Which includes the ability to make, modify, and cancel reservations with those points.

The direct contract is now titled differently from your resale contracts. That means that you yourself will now have two memberships, one membership for the direct contract you own with those two additional people and a second membership for the resale contracts that you own separately. Those two people will be able to see and manage the joint membership when they log in to their DVC Member accounts but will not be able to see the one you own separately. You’ll be able to see and manage all contracts and both memberships when you log in - you’ll choose which membership to work with after you log in. In terms of managing the points from those memberships, it’s as if you were now two different people.

Last edited:
The direct contract is now titled differently from your resale contracts. That means that you yourself will now have two memberships, one membership for the direct contract you own with those two additional people and a second membership for the resale contracts that you own separately. Those two people will be able to see and manage the joint membership when they log in to their DVC Member accounts but will not be able to see the one you own separately. You’ll be able to see and manage all contracts and both memberships when you log in - you’ll choose which membership to work with after you log in. In terms of managing the points from those memberships, it’s as if you were now two different people.

Thanks. That’s how I was hoping it would be set up.

I was also hoping to buy a resale contract for my sister to use and make her an associate. That way I could pay the yearly fees and just let her use the contact. But if I’m correct, adding someone as an associate alllows them access to all contacts in a given account. But that wouldn’t work as I’d just want her to access that 1 contact that I’d purchase for her use. I’m wondering if there’s a way to do this….buy a contact for her to use while I pay yearly fees, yet retaining ownership for myself so I could sell down the road if needed.

I was also hoping to buy a resale contract for my sister to use and make her an associate. That way I could pay the yearly fees and just let her use the contact. But if I’m correct, adding someone as an associate alllows them access to all contacts in a given account. But that wouldn’t work as I’d just want her to access that 1 contact that I’d purchase for her use. I’m wondering if there’s a way to do this….buy a contact for her to use while I pay yearly fees, yet retaining ownership for myself so I could sell down the road if needed.
You could buy a contract with both of you on the deed, and you pay the dues. You could also get a new contract and request a new membership. I’m not sure how that works, but if you put your name differently and/or title it differently, it will automatically be a new membership. It might be easier to buy a different UY and just not associate it with your existing membership?

I believe an associate member is different than an owner listed on the deed. I think you can just add an associate member to your account while logged in. For adding them as an owner, you need to change the deed. Associate members do not have full membership rights (I think no card, white or blue). I think all they can do is log into the account and manage reservations. I also don't know if those are by login (member account) or by contract. I know ownership distinguishes by contract, but associate membership may be by login account. Someone else needs to help with that answer.

From looking at my account under membership, it appears I can add associate members by contract.

If you buy a contract and have your sister’s name on the deed as well as yours, it would be a third membership for you because it would be titled differently from the other contracts that have your name on them. So you could still pay the MFs etc. but your sister would be an owner too and could use the points from the contract. When it came time to sell, you’d need her consent because she would be an equal owner with you.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter