Step By Step - How to Add Names to an Existing Contract (Gratuitous Transfer)

Thanks, makes total sense!

Another question: In terms of (potentially) having to file a gift tax return, how have you all calculated FMV of the DVC contract? Is it the current retail value of the points? No, can't be. We own BCV which is no longer offered and certainly a point is not "worth" $200 on the fair market.

Obviously the property will be split three ways, with only one-third going to the adult child (who is actually myself) so my portion should be under $14k for a 150-point BCV contract. But want to make sure we consider that.
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/selling/what-is-my-dvc-contract-worth/
Don't want to tell you how aggressive to get....

You could use tis calculator. Or you could go to the rofr thread and get some average values. (those may be "low" per some theories that DIS users are more informed buyers and tend to pay less/wait for a better priced contract), or there are other sources with 3rd party sales values. But yours may be valued closer to 150-170 based on your point status.

Next question...

DVC just wrote back that they will not process a transfer while a reservation is on the books. They will only do the transfer when the reservation is complete. We are trying to do a gratuitous transfer to *add* a name to the deed.

Anyone run into this?

Next question...

DVC just wrote back that they will not process a transfer while a reservation is on the books. They will only do the transfer when the reservation is complete. We are trying to do a gratuitous transfer to *add* a name to the deed.

Anyone run into this?
It said that on the paperwork at the time we did ours in 2019 but we submitted it anyways and didn’t have any issues. We had at least 3 active reservations at the time, but we were adding a name on when we did ours.

Next question...

Anyone run into this?
Eeeek now I want to know the same. We just sent our stuff in to get recorded. I have a ton of reservations already booked up and never really have a period of time when nothing is on the books. I just need to add my husband.

It said that on the paperwork at the time we did ours in 2019 but we submitted it anyways and didn’t have any issues. We had at least 3 active reservations at the time, but we were adding a name on when we did ours.

Good to know. You did the standard process of a new did with grantors=current owners and grantees=current owners plus new owners?

Next question...

Anyone run into this?

I let that stop me about a year before I ended up doing anything. Turns out that with the gratuitous transfer they don’t actually have that restriction.

And the transfer I ended up doing was far more complicated than the one I was originally going to do. (It was just adding me to the deed originally, and a year later I was adding me and taking off my suddenly soon to be ex) But it worked just fineeven with my yearly Princess reservation on the books.

Last edited:
Next question...

Anyone run into this?
I update my name and added my 2 daugthers and my existing reservation was not modified. I received notice last week that the changes to my contract were complete.

Last time, went from solo owner to adding 2 names, now almost 2 years later, adding a 4th name, hope I did it correctly again:
6/10 emailed the form to DVC Administration
6/10 brought the Deed for Notary - 3 signatures $45 charged
6/11 reply received from DVC Administration
6/12 check for $22.20 to the OCC and mailed for recording

update: after small snafu on my part OC mailed back, than I mailed back and mid July they recorded it, than a few days later I filled out the new names/address for Disney and emailed them and daughter officially has her name and log in to DVC Friday 7/23.

(I have a bunch of reservations that in renting out and none effected)

next challenge is learning how to add her to the Aulani contract. Anyone DIY for Aulani DVC before?

Next question...

Anyone run into this?

They added my adult children without canceling the trip. Because we remained owners, it was not an issue. This was in 2019. It’s possible there are new rules.

For those that have done this recently...how long after having the deed recorded did the person(s) that you had added to your deed get their membership info? Is it via mail or email or both?

For those that have done this recently...how long after having the deed recorded did the person(s) that you had added to your deed get their membership info? Is it via mail or email or both?
I sent the recorded deed to Disney on May 21st and the new member info was received via email on July 8th.

We used this to add our four kids to our deeds. They have a new transfer form but I don’t have a copy of it. They sent back our first one and asked us to fill out a new one.

I sent the recorded deed to Disney on May 21st and the new member info was received via email on July 8th.
Arrg. It seems like its taking forever to add us daughters to my moms DVC contract. We have a trip booked Oct 28 and are each trying to get a blue card so we can get the DVC annual pass discounts. We are have resale DVCs and now are all white cards except mom.
I found this post on 8/5
Looked up deeds to copy on 8/6
Typed up my own deed on 8/7
Mom got the new deed notarized and mailed out Monday 8/9
Took 5 days to get from NJ to FL with Priority mail so Orange County received on Fri 8/13. I kept checking and deed was not updated so I called this morning to see if I did something wrong and she said it takes 2 weeks to record deeds now.
If Disney takes 6 weeks to add new members then we might be in a pickle with regards to getting annual passes. Any suggestions with annual passes? If we buy at regular price but don't activate till 10/28, think they will change over to DVC prices if we are all blue cards by say 10/27 the day before we leave?

Arrg. It seems like its taking forever to add us daughters to my moms DVC contract. We have a trip booked Oct 28 and are each trying to get a blue card so we can get the DVC annual pass discounts. We are have resale DVCs and now are all white cards except mom.
I found this post on 8/5
Looked up deeds to copy on 8/6
Typed up my own deed on 8/7
Mom got the new deed notarized and mailed out Monday 8/9
Took 5 days to get from NJ to FL with Priority mail so Orange County received on Fri 8/13. I kept checking and deed was not updated so I called this morning to see if I did something wrong and she said it takes 2 weeks to record deeds now.
If Disney takes 6 weeks to add new members then we might be in a pickle with regards to getting annual passes. Any suggestions with annual passes? If we buy at regular price but don't activate till 10/28, think they will change over to DVC prices if we are all blue cards by say 10/27 the day before we leave?
It's definitely taking longer than that! Our deed was recorded on 7/21 to have my husband's name added to my existing AKV contract. I had emailed member administration last week about it at the 3 week mark and they said it can take 5-6 weeks. I emailed them on Tuesday of this week because a friend of mine who had her deed recorded after us got her 2 emails with her member id and activation code. They responded to that email yesterday saying they'd escalate it but no guarantees. I had sent another email on Wednesday when we hit the 4 week mark (also since they didn't reply to the Wednesday email) and they responded to that email as well yesterday saying they were actually working on it...within a few hours my husband had his 2 emails. I think you still have a few weeks to wait though because they are still really working on the end of July.

So as a florida Passholder when I buy online I still have to go to guest services and show my ID because I got a discount. I'd assume that when you go to activate your passes they'd do the same. The other option would be to buy the tickets instead of passes and then upgrading to the passes when you arrive (assuming that they still allow you to do that of course)

I have a question about the legal description. I have one of my deeds here. How much of this is the legal description? I know it starts with "an undivided..." does it go through all the rest of the page ending at "...and that DVD warrants the title to said Ownership Interest and will defend the title against the lawful claims of all persons claiming by, through or under DVD"? Or does it end sooner than that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter