• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Star Wars Themed Resort at DHS

I think this sounds cool, but am I the only one who thinks this is too much? I was happy with just Star Tours Presented by M&M's... I know this might need an entire thread on it's own, but I feel like Studios might as well be Disney's Star Wars Universe. I love the brand, but Disney had no hand in creating the franchise. To me it seems kind of lazy, and driven by numbers.
This immersive, all inclusive ABD-type adventure may work well with other themes, too. (From Princesses to a 2-at culinary adventure in Europe where you stay in World Showcase..)

Plus, it's not like Cinderella, Peter Pan or Mary Poppins were orginal Disney IP.

I actually don't see the price being all that expensive-actually it may even be underpriced (obviously I am looking at this as more adult pricing--not charing $1000 for 3 days as a toddler). That being said, I don't think Disney World is the right location. Being an "immersive experience" it shouldn't be targeting theme park guests, but rather making it a vacation destination on its own.

Those IPs are fairy tales and books. Not to mention Walt worked on them himself from concept to final product.

The main concern is that they will milk it dry. They bought the product six movies in, and are planning on making films for the next fifteen years. Rogue One sucked by the way..

They did the same thing with Marvel and Avatar. Should they purchase the rights to James Bond? Does it make sense to buy something just because you can? It just doesn't seem very "Disney" to me, that's all. I say this as a fan of Star Wars.

Those IPs are fairy tales and books. Not to mention Walt worked on them himself from concept to final product.

The main concern is that they will milk it dry. They bought the product six movies in, and are planning on making films for the next fifteen years. Rogue One sucked by the way..

They did the same thing with Marvel and Avatar. Should they purchase the rights to James Bond? Does it make sense to buy something just because you can? It just doesn't seem very "Disney" to me, that's all. I say this as a fan of Star Wars.

I'm just completely on the other side of this. I thought Rogue One was really good. I thought Episode VII was a good start to a trilogy, even if it wasn't one of the better SW movies. Star Wars Rebels is very, very good. The Lego Star Wars series is kind of crappy in my opinion, but my twin 5 year olds love it. I think the Star Wars universe contains an infinite number of stories that can be told through games, t.v. shows, movies, books, attractions... no other company could build this universe to the same degree that Disney can. Do I dislike that some of my favorite post Episode VI books and characters went AU? Yes I do. But Disney taking charge of the sprawling possibilities of SW was a huge positive for me. They have the deep pockets and the creativity to push that universe forward in a way no one else could.

Here's the thing about DHS, it was never about exclusive Disney stories. Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Twilight Zone, Aerosmith, Muppets. None of these were Disney owned things when they were brought to DHS. Some still aren't. MK is Walt's World. DHS is a broader tribute to culture. Frankly a DHS with Star Wars anchoring one end and Marvel anchoring the other (if/when that becomes legally possible), is going to be a huge attendance park. And it's not that much different than most of the park's life when non Disney properties like Indiana Jones and Star Wars anchored one side and Aerosmith and Twilight Zone anchored the other. They just weren't as big a draw.

Last edited:
Speaking of Marvel. Couldn't Disney offer Marvel hotel experiences even though they can't offer Marvel Theme Park experiences?

Speaking of Marvel. Couldn't Disney offer Marvel hotel experiences even though they can't offer Marvel Theme Park experiences?
Yes they could. I don't think we will see them do that though as it would confuse guests.

Not on Disney property in conjunction with a theme park. Disney can't even use "Marvel" as a title of an experience in Orlando. The contract is quite specific and if you have questions this is a very good article that actually quotes and contains the relevant parts of the contract:

http://orlandounited.com/2016/05/darn-marvel-contract/

What is so different between using a fairy tale/book or a movie character?. The only true original character they had are the fab 5. Almost every other story they have done has been a re-imaging of a classic story.

I'm just completely on the other side of this. I thought Rogue One was really good. I thought Episode VII was a good start to a trilogy, even if it wasn't one of the better SW movies. Star Wars Rebels is very, very good. The Lego Star Wars series is kind of crappy in my opinion, but my twin 5 year olds love it. I think the Star Wars universe contains an infinite number of stories that can be told through games, t.v. shows, movies, books, attractions... no other company could build this universe to the same degree that Disney can. Do I dislike that some of my favorite post Episode VI books and characters went AU? Yes I do. But Disney taking charge of the sprawling possibilities of SW was a huge positive for me. They have the deep pockets and the creativity to push that universe forward in a way no one else could.

Here's the thing about DHS, it was never about exclusive Disney stories. Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Twilight Zone, Aerosmith, Muppets. None of these were Disney owned things when they were brought to DHS. Some still aren't. MK is Walt's World. DHS is a broader tribute to culture. Frankly a DHS with Star Wars anchoring one end and Marvel anchoring the other (if/when that becomes legally possible), is going to be a huge attendance park. And it's not that much different than most of the park's life when non Disney properties like Indiana Jones and Star Wars anchored one side and Aerosmith and Twilight Zone anchored the other. They just weren't as big a draw.

I really enjoyed The Force Awakens, I thought it was better than episodes I-III and that it had the feel of the original trilogy. Rogue One on the other hand, I thought was the most unnecessary and pointless entry in the franchise. We already knew how they found the plans, and the whole movie was negated in the end. That's just my opinion. I found the length was extremely long and boring as well. No opening crawl, and for some reason they felt like telling us where we were in the universe for only a portion of the movie. I spent the rest trying to figure where we were and why... that's my take on it. Also, I don't like political agendas in my films. The rebellion was a multi-cultural, multi-colored group of heroes led by a strong independent woman, while the empire consisted only of "evil white men." I get enough politics in my life, and the last thing people want to hear when relaxing to a movie is a sermon. That's my take on it, but I value your opinion!

I've never thought of DHS in that sort of way. It makes more sense when you think of it in those contexts. I do think Star Wars is overwhelmingly present in that particular park, though. I hope they mix it up a bit.

Not on Disney property in conjunction with a theme park. Disney can't even use "Marvel" as a title of an experience in Orlando. The contract is quite specific and if you have questions this is a very good article that actually quotes and contains the relevant parts of the contract:

True, they can't call it Marvel Resort or something. However they can and do use Superheroes outside the parks. They have the SuperHero (Marvel) store at Disney Springs, and they have done numerous monorail wraps on the MK line.

I do think Star Wars is overwhelmingly present in that particular park, though. I hope they mix it up a bit.

When we went to DHS in Dec I felt the same way. With so much of the park closed, to have a ride, a movie, and the character/prop experience, plus the First Order Troopers wandering around everywhere, it was a lot of SW in certain areas. Then again, SW is, and will be going forward, a huge driver for Disney. I think it will be more contained in DHS once SWE opens. Right now the whole Echo Lake area is dripping with SW stuff. But my kids are huge into SW, so we did the Jedi Experience, Star Tours twice, The Making of a Jedi, and the character experience. We traded with the Jawas, tried to get the First Order troopers to mess with us (they didn't. picked on some woman in an ECV and she was a great sport about it and it was hilarious)... so yeah. We did it all and it felt like most of DHS.

Not really going to get into a discussion of Rogue One, but the politics were only there what you read into them yourself. And it would be hard for any SW movie to be worse than the prequels. Yet another reason I was happy Disney took over stewardship of the franchise. Those movies were not good. Though The Clone Wars series showed that the previous stewards could still tell the stories, the movies simply didn't do a good enough job.

True, they can't call it Marvel Resort or something. However they can and do use Superheroes outside the parks. They have the SuperHero (Marvel) store at Disney Springs, and they have done numerous monorail wraps on the MK line.

Only as advertising for a specific movie, not for advertising the Disney connection to Marvel. It's a grey line and again, the article I linked does an awesome job of pulling the specific bits of the contract and how it applies. It's why I think a GotG overlay on Energy Adventure has been postponed. Universal could very easily fight that in court, and I don't think Disney wants to get into it. Any court decision could shift the grey line significantly against them. Universal has the rights in perpetuity so long as they don't mess it up legally. Disney is really over a barrel as far as Orlando goes.

Definitely can't use any simulators or rides.
But this seems interesting as a lodging and food experience may not qualify as a theme park
As used herein, “theme park” and “themed entertainment areas” shall not include, inter alia, facilities or complexes where at least 70% of the revenues generated on the premises are derived from retail sales or whose primary source of revenue is lodging (which may include food, beverage and gaming revenues).

Last edited:
Only as advertising for a specific movie, not for advertising the Disney connection to Marvel. It's a grey line and again, the article I linked does an awesome job of pulling the specific bits of the contract and how it applies. It's why I think a GotG overlay on Energy Adventure has been postponed. Universal could very easily fight that in court, and I don't think Disney wants to get into it. Any court decision could shift the grey line significantly against them. Universal has the rights in perpetuity so long as they don't mess it up legally. Disney is really over a barrel as far as Orlando goes.
[/QUOTE]
GOTG hasn't really been postponed per say. It is still on the timeline. If they can have a store selling all Marvel merchandise I think that's a connection. It is obviously a grey area but they have ways around it.

GOTG hasn't really been postponed per say. It is still on the timeline. If they can have a store selling all Marvel merchandise I think that's a connection. It is obviously a grey area but they have ways around it.

iv. To the extent and in the territories that MCA has exclusive theme park rights, such shall not prohibit (except for the limitations described below) Marvel from itself developing or licensing its planned Retail concept which may include interactive elements as a major or minor element (presently intended to be called “The Marvel Action Universe” and referred to as such herein, but which may also be called “The Marvel Universe” or another name chosen by Marvel).

The bolded part of the contract allows the bolded part of your statement. It is specifically allowed in a way a resort is not.

Restrictions as to the geographic location of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.
b. Mini-theme parks, recreation centers, game centers and the like designated with the Marvel name or the name of any Marvel characters or any major entertainment component of a Marvel Action Universe such as a motion based film ride shall not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

If I was a Universal lawyer, I would say the above statements might reject a Marvel themed attraction at WDW. The "and the like" and "such as" are clear language saying this clause is not explicit to the named activities, instead it is implicit regarding the use of the name for theme park activities within 60 miles, a much tighter restriction than East of the MS. So there is a very clear exclusion.

I would not want to be Disney lawyers trying to fight these clauses in court.

And the real nail in the coffin:

iii. No The Marvel Action Universe shall be in or marketed in conjunction with any themed entertainment areas owned, operated or marketed by Disney, Time-Warner, Six Flags, Sony, Paramount or Busch. As used herein, “theme park” and “themed entertainment areas” shall not include, inter alia, facilities or complexes where at least 70% of the revenues generated on the premises are derived from retail sales or whose primary source of revenue is lodging (which may include food, beverage and gaming revenues).

Now, that only applies to MAU, but that would be Spiderman, The Avengers, X-Men, and the Fantastic Four as well as any character who has crossed over or been used within the storylines of any of those 4 storylines in the past. So GotG might be good. I'm not 100% certain they never crossed over, but I believe they haven't. But that is a huge percentage of the Marvel universe in general.

And now we have been horribly off topic so I will forego any more postings on Marvel in a SW topic!

Last edited:
Had some time to digest this.

Soon as Star Wars Land was announced I thought Disney would toot the idea about of doing a Star Wars resort, as a no brainier but this 'experience' has me far more excited.

I think doing this smaller resort with say 100-200 rooms wouldn't take up too much land. The premium price would cover all your food etc and pay to keep cast constantly 'in character and on stage'

I would totally love this. Have a shuttle type service to Star Wars land like the hogwarts express with interactive screens that take guests to an exclusive entrance to Star Wars land, for those staying at the resort.

Do we think they could do Galatic Nights every night at DHS and include that in the price of this resort? Would certainly sweeten the deal. Or just move that event to the resort I guess.

This immersive, all inclusive ABD-type adventure may work well with other themes, too. (From Princesses to a 2-at culinary adventure in Europe where you stay in World Showcase..)

Plus, it's not like Cinderella, Peter Pan or Mary Poppins were orginal Disney IP.

I was thinking the same thing. Immersive experiences are magical- and let you get into the story and forget the real world for a while. That certainly meshes with what I think of as Disney's vision for the parks in the first place. Star Wars is not my favorite, but I would pay the survey price for the experience. I'd really love a Haunted Mansion Immersive experience. Seance with Madam Leota, anyone?

A weekend as a movie star in the Hollywood Tower Hotel?

How about a couple of days on a "boat" with Captain Sparrow?

Ooohhh.. I am so jealous of those who get to design the parks and resorts and experiences.

Exaclty...

This keeps coming up 38 times a week...

They REALLY can't use marvel in orlando...like not really at all. And if they'd try to use fringe properties it's just going to look silly. Let it lie...there isn't an upside until contracts change.

Exaclty...

This keeps coming up 38 times a week...

They REALLY can't use marvel in orlando...like not really at all. And if they'd try to use fringe properties it's just going to look silly. Let it lie...there isn't an upside until contracts change.
They can and have used marvel. There was a doctor strange meet and greet/small show and soon there will be a starlord meet and greet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter