Sorry To be a Downer, but...

MaryKatesMom said:
The only other thing I can think of was the run around we got waiting for our room at GF. If they had just told us it wouldn't be ready until 5pm but we kept checking back.

Dumb I know but each time, they apologized and said it would just be a half hour, they talked to housekeeping, etc. We had wanted to go to the pool but our suits were in the luggage so thats why we kept checking back. That afternoon was one of only two warm days so we really wanted to swim that afternoon.

I just wished they had said - go to a park there is no way it will be ready - I wouldn't have been so dissappointed.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me at the Yacht Club. We called at 11am to transfer to the YC from the Wilderness Lodge and was told our room was ready. We get over there around noon and find out we are in a handicapped room (my toddler needed a bathtub) so we have to change. The CM says another room should be ready momentarily and to wait in the lobby, he'll tell us when its done, and he's called housekeeping. Well, hours go by...we keep checking back at the front desk about every half hour and keep getting told "It's not ready yet, but should be very soon." That's why we kept hanging around because we had all our carry-on luggage, including the video camera and such, that I didn't really want to check in w/ bell services and I kept hearing it would be any moment. Finally, when it was about 4 o'clock, past check-in time, the manager upgrades us so we can get a room. It was nice to be upgraded but why the misinformation about the time the room is ready? Why have us hang around like that?

Hi,

I’ve stayed at the French Quarter, Riverside, Old Key West, Caribbean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Wilderness Lodge. I have always been happy at Disney resorts. Also stayed at the Dolphin and I wouldn’t take the chance again. The last visit was pretty poor. The first room I was given was right behind one of the fountains on the roof and right outside my window there was a flat piece of roof with some big air-conditioning units. It looked like maybe they were replacing something and there were workmen all about and building materials piled up and leaning on the window. It was really noisy with all the banging and you couldn’t even really see out though all the big metal pieces. But these guys could all see in! I called down and they said the work would be finished by the end of the week but it was only Monday so asked to be moved. They told me to come back down with my key card so I dragged my luggage back. It didn’t help that I arrived with bronchitis and really wanted to rest for a bit. They gave me another room and I dragged my stuff back up again. This room was still above the construction but higher so I thought it would be okay. Then I saw that there was no fridge in the cabinet. I could see this because the door was hanging by one hinge and you could see right in. There was water all over the shelf so I guess the fridge broke and they took it out. It smelled pretty bad too. The garbage can was filled with cigarette butts. Housekeeping must have dumped a few rooms worth in that can because there was about two cups full in there. So I went to use the phone again when I noticed… no nice way to say this… throw up down the side of the bed, on the bed skirt and some dried in a puddle on the floor. No wonder it smelled so bad in there. Okay, told to come back downstairs. By now I am really feeling ill so I asked if they could maybe just direct me to another room from here. The said they’d call right back. I waited there for about forty minutes and then called back and waited in the hall away from the smell. Gave up and whet downstairs again. They told me the only other thing they could give me was something called a parlor room but that it was on the concierge floor and exact words here… “you are never to go into that lounge, you haven’t paid for it and you will be asked to leave.” It would have never occurred to me to use it anyway. So I get to the “parlor room” and it turns out that what it is is the living room portion of a suite with the door locked to the bedroom part. It had a bed that could be pulled down from the wall so you were only about four inches off the floor. Yes, it had a kind of living room in it but the floor bed really took up most of it. I called one more time really feeling like I was being a pain but the bed was really very uncomfortable. It was just a thin mattress on pieces of metal. I called once more and they had totally had it with me. She said “look, I have a whole hotel here full of rooms, just what is going to make you happy?” I said just a clean room with a normal bed is all I want. She said that that is what I had and if I still wanted to move tomorrow I could call back then. I crashed at that point. I decided to stay. I really didn’t want to fight anymore. Housekeeping didn’t come for three days so I finally phoned and they did come for the last two days.

A few little things happened after that, no big deal but I felt so unwelcome there. I found a purse someone left sitting beside a sofa in the lobby. I took it to the concierge counter. No thank you, they just told me I should have left it there because if anything was missing I could be blamed. Would you believe I saw another bag left in the lobby later in the week? I left it there this time but I felt really bad about it. I hope whoever lost it got it back. I was just too afraid of being accused of something terrible to touch it or even mention it. It didn’t feel like the happiest place on earth anymore.

The only other tiny thing that happened was a Tubbi’s later. I ordered a cheeseburger with bacon but I didn’t want the fries. The cook there said that since they always charged for the fries he would give me a ticket for the combo and I would pay the full price but omit the fries and put bacon on so I did not pay again. Yay! Finally a little touch of magic. I paid and waited for my order to go. When the person came out with my container I was told that the cook had no right to do that and that I needed to give them $1.50 for the bacon.

Wow, I have never told that story because I usually come here to feel better and read nice things. Well, the OP asked for it and darn it… I do feel better now! Also when people post negative things a lot of people seem to assume that the person complaining has maybe made their own bed so to speak by perhaps being argumentative or hostile and prompting hostility in return. I assure you I am as quiet and polite as they come. Even though I was sick I was so happy to be there and all smiles and thank yous. I am sure it is possible to have a lovely stay at the Dolphin but for me, it is just too much money to take that chance again. Anybody want about three days worth of Starwood points?

I feel a little ripped off because I can't think of a bad experience! There was a trip a few years back to POR when we didn't get a seat on the bus the entire trip because transportation was so slow and lacking.

We once saw a cup in the bushes at POFQ that was there for the entire week. Other than that, everything has been positive.

TaurusSES_Sport,

Oh please don't be nervous! My experience was once out of about twelve stays. Chances are good you will be treated very well. I have been really happy all of the other times. Rooms ready early, great housekeepers, beautiful views from standard rooms. The housekeepers at French Quarter were I think trying to bury my dresser beneath piles of free coffee pakages and the ones at Wilderness Lodge when they found out how much I liked the hand lotion... well lets just say I haven't had to buy any since! You are probably in for a real treat.

We have stayed at BC, BCV, BW, BWV, WL, VWL, OKW, CSR, POR, POFQ,CBR. I can honestly say that except for a couple of rude CMs here and there, we have never had a major problem that I can recall. On those occasions when there has been a minor "glitch" with the room, it has been repaired quickly when we called.

We do not stay at the Value Resorts because DH and I do not sleep comfortably together in a double bed, and they are value resorts, therefore some corners may be cut in construction or amenities to give the "value". That is not a put-down of the value resorts or the people who do stay in them. It is an observation. You can't expect a hotel where the rooms cost $79-$100/night to give you the same amenities as a hotel where the rooms are $200+ per night.

TaurusSES_Sport said:
All these stories, im nervous about our first time to the world... :earseek:

Don't be.... you should not have even read this thread ;)

I am certain you will have a wonderful stay at YC & AKL Concierge.. can't wait to read your report when you are home!

Taryn said:
Hi,

I’ve stayed at the French Quarter, Riverside, Old Key West, Caribbean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Wilderness Lodge. I have always been happy at Disney resorts. Also stayed at the Dolphin and I wouldn’t take the chance again. The last visit was pretty poor. The first room I was given was right behind one of the fountains on the roof and right outside my window there was a flat piece of roof with some big air-conditioning units. It looked like maybe they were replacing something and there were workmen all about and building materials piled up and leaning on the window. It was really noisy with all the banging and you couldn’t even really see out though all the big metal pieces. But these guys could all see in! I called down and they said the work would be finished by the end of the week but it was only Monday so asked to be moved. They told me to come back down with my key card so I dragged my luggage back. It didn’t help that I arrived with bronchitis and really wanted to rest for a bit. They gave me another room and I dragged my stuff back up again. This room was still above the construction but higher so I thought it would be okay. Then I saw that there was no fridge in the cabinet. I could see this because the door was hanging by one hinge and you could see right in. There was water all over the shelf so I guess the fridge broke and they took it out. It smelled pretty bad too. The garbage can was filled with cigarette butts. Housekeeping must have dumped a few rooms worth in that can because there was about two cups full in there. So I went to use the phone again when I noticed… no nice way to say this… throw up down the side of the bed, on the bed skirt and some dried in a puddle on the floor. No wonder it smelled so bad in there. Okay, told to come back downstairs. By now I am really feeling ill so I asked if they could maybe just direct me to another room from here. The said they’d call right back. I waited there for about forty minutes and then called back and waited in the hall away from the smell. Gave up and whet downstairs again. They told me the only other thing they could give me was something called a parlor room but that it was on the concierge floor and exact words here… “you are never to go into that lounge, you haven’t paid for it and you will be asked to leave.” It would have never occurred to me to use it anyway. So I get to the “parlor room” and it turns out that what it is is the living room portion of a suite with the door locked to the bedroom part. It had a bed that could be pulled down from the wall so you were only about four inches off the floor. Yes, it had a kind of living room in it but the floor bed really took up most of it. I called one more time really feeling like I was being a pain but the bed was really very uncomfortable. It was just a thin mattress on pieces of metal. I called once more and they had totally had it with me. She said “look, I have a whole hotel here full of rooms, just what is going to make you happy?” I said just a clean room with a normal bed is all I want. She said that that is what I had and if I still wanted to move tomorrow I could call back then. I crashed at that point. I decided to stay. I really didn’t want to fight anymore. Housekeeping didn’t come for three days so I finally phoned and they did come for the last two days.

A few little things happened after that, no big deal but I felt so unwelcome there. I found a purse someone left sitting beside a sofa in the lobby. I took it to the concierge counter. No thank you, they just told me I should have left it there because if anything was missing I could be blamed. Would you believe I saw another bag left in the lobby later in the week? I left it there this time but I felt really bad about it. I hope whoever lost it got it back. I was just too afraid of being accused of something terrible to touch it or even mention it. It didn’t feel like the happiest place on earth anymore.

The only other tiny thing that happened was a Tubbi’s later. I ordered a cheeseburger with bacon but I didn’t want the fries. The cook there said that since they always charged for the fries he would give me a ticket for the combo and I would pay the full price but omit the fries and put bacon on so I did not pay again. Yay! Finally a little touch of magic. I paid and waited for my order to go. When the person came out with my container I was told that the cook had no right to do that and that I needed to give them $1.50 for the bacon.

Wow, I have never told that story because I usually come here to feel better and read nice things. Well, the OP asked for it and darn it… I do feel better now! Also when people post negative things a lot of people seem to assume that the person complaining has maybe made their own bed so to speak by perhaps being argumentative or hostile and prompting hostility in return. I assure you I am as quiet and polite as they come. Even though I was sick I was so happy to be there and all smiles and thank yous. I am sure it is possible to have a lovely stay at the Dolphin but for me, it is just too much money to take that chance again. Anybody want about three days worth of Starwood points?

Oh my Good Lord!!!! :earseek: If this were a contest.....you would win HANDS DOWN!!!! I was going to post that I haven't ever had ANY horrible experiences.....the only "not good" one was when I couldn't get my air-conditioner to go below 70 degrees at the All Star Sports. After reading these......I can see I have NEVER had a bad experience at WDW!!!!! :earseek:

I have written this story quite a bit on here so I will give the short version. Staying Concierge level at the Dolphin, Pipe breaks in the ceiling above our sink. Brown smelly water leaks out all over the wall and soaks the floor all the way up to about a foot away from the bed. For 4 days we called and asked them to fix it/move us to another room, anything. They would come clean it and say they fixed it but never did. One night it was pouring out of the ceiling and we call down at about 8pm. They asked us to leave the room for about an hour which was not a problem we were on our way out. At 11pm we return to so much water that its visible on top of the carpet. We call down and they apologize and ask if we would like to come have some drinks on them while they fix the room. We went to the pool and laid around and then went to back up because my wife was dead tired. They still hadn't come so I called the front desk and told them we demanded a room change, as I am on the phone I look over at my suit case that was on the floor in the closet and it is soaked. They insist that they have no openings and they would be up in just a second and started to ask if we could leave the room. I told them we wouldn't not because of the time and that I would be waiting. At about 3 am I gave up and went to sleep. They refused to move us the rest of the trip, we could not find an open room in any of the disney hotels... They never compensated us, never offered to dry clean/clean any of my cloths that got soaked in this nasty water. Ticked me off.

phanomouse said:
I have written this story quite a bit on here so I will give the short version. Staying Concierge level at the Dolphin, Pipe breaks in the ceiling above our sink. Brown smelly water leaks out all over the wall and soaks the floor all the way up to about a foot away from the bed. For 4 days we called and asked them to fix it/move us to another room, anything. They would come clean it and say they fixed it but never did. One night it was pouring out of the ceiling and we call down at about 8pm. They asked us to leave the room for about an hour which was not a problem we were on our way out. At 11pm we return to so much water that its visible on top of the carpet. We call down and they apologize and ask if we would like to come have some drinks on them while they fix the room. We went to the pool and laid around and then went to back up because my wife was dead tired. They still hadn't come so I called the front desk and told them we demanded a room change, as I am on the phone I look over at my suit case that was on the floor in the closet and it is soaked. They insist that they have no openings and they would be up in just a second and started to ask if we could leave the room. I told them we wouldn't not because of the time and that I would be waiting. At about 3 am I gave up and went to sleep. They refused to move us the rest of the trip, we could not find an open room in any of the disney hotels... They never compensated us, never offered to dry clean/clean any of my cloths that got soaked in this nasty water. Ticked me off.

If I was in your shoes, and had paid by credit card, as I always do. I would have fought the room charges. I hope you followed up and escalated the problem up the ladder, above the manager level. I had a customer service problem with a retail company, and actually called the president of the company. My problem was resolved and then some. You just need to reach the correct person. There is no excuse for the horrible service you recieved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter