Sorry To be a Downer, but...

Yacht Club Guy

Having A Disney Day!
I want to hear of your worst resort moments :earseek: ! What resorts have you had a horrifiying experince at :scared1: ? If you have not had a resort problem, tell me what Deluxe or Moderate resort looks bad to you... This is to vent a little, so let it all out! Don't tell me of those great experiances! :badpc: It may seem strange, but I like to hear what opinions you have!....
Let it ALL out!
YACHT CLUB GUY

Just taking the bait...Room with two double beds for two adults and a 10 year old, no fridge, bathroom with tub and potty- the only bathroom floor space was the minimum required for opening bathroom door while standing pressed up against the toilet. No continental breakfast, taking 2.5 hours to catch a bus from the park to the resort after Fantasmic, pool packed to beyond capacity...good thing I didn't have to pay $144 plus taxes per night for POFQ in June '04, I only got soaked for $75 plus tax per night. Never again onsite, kept dreaming of the spacious offsite 2br villa we COULD have had for less $$$!!!

Don't get me started on the long long long bus rides from the parks to the resorts. BLAH!

Paid for a water view at BC. All I could see was the pool stairs railing through the bushes. Never get water view at BC.

I had a horrible experience at the Wilderness Lodge. One issue after another. Stayed in three different rooms in five nights! Had a problem with loud banging noises in the first room. In the second room, we were stuck next to a family with a screeching kid who would scream at the top of his lungs until midnight, and be up at 5:30 doing it all over again (and he was like five or six based on his vocabulary). His father and older sibling were yelling at him to shut up, which made it worse. (OK, I know this isn't Disney's fault, but it was an unpleasant part of the trip). In the third room, we had a cockroach! Yuck.

Among the other lowlights:

Bell services destroyed my friends luggage lock to the point where we had to have someone come up and cut it off (which they gave us a hard time about doing even though it was there fault).

In the second room, the beds were horrible. Even a slight movement made them squeak, and my mattress sagged so much that it sunk in a couple of inches when I lied on it!

We went to the character breakfast there, and in the hour or so we were sitting at the table, we only had Eeyore come to our table (even though we watched the characters go to areas across the restaurant two or more times). We finally had to ask our server to please send the characters over so my friend (a huge Pooh fan) could get pictures.

There were other little things here and there that wouldn't have bothered me alone, but piled on top of everything else, made me a very unhappy person.

Karen

Animal Kingdom Lodge: Dirty Room, Maid threw out personal property and receipts, extremely rude guests (not hotel's fault), Front desk had us wait up till 3am promising fridge to be delivered and never showed....All in all a very frustrating vacation and we are easy to please. This is the first time I ever complained about a hotel room stay.

Not a MAJOR complaint compared to others I have seen, but in November we were at the YC concierge and our room over-looked the convention buldings roof! Blah! I love to sit on the balcony but that wasn't worth it - no view and too much noise. And with the $$$$ you pay for concierge I REALLY wanted a decent view. Yes, we could have asked to be moved, but DH was in such a foul mood that never happpened...

Jill

Value resorts ... ick! Okay, in all fairness- All Star Sports ... ick! It reminded me of a glorified Projects. The carpet was grubby. Didn't want to take off my shoes. And the bathroom with the dormitory type shower. Give me a break! And no matter what time of the day or evening, mobs of people at the bus stop. Never again! And you couldn't pay me to stay at the Contemporary either.

My bad experience was recently - while staying at Pop Century.

I had come back to the room early (2pm) to take a nap before MVMCP. The room looked like it had not been visited by Mousekeeping yet - dirty towels still in bathroom, bed not straightened ... which while frustrating was okay - maybe they had a lot of check-outs and had not gotten to continue staying guests yet.

Until I noticed two things - my curtians were opened (I leave them closed normally) and the Mousekeeping envelope was gone. Mousekeeping had come into the room - taken the tip - and left.

I called Mousekeeping and spoke to a supervisor. She told me the Mousekeeper was making Towel Critters ... and had not completed them to come back and clean the room. Basically said dont worry about coming back to clean it, after I nap I would call for clean towels. But I also told the Supervisor that I felt if they could come in the room and take the tip - they could do the very basic stuff (make the bed, change the towels) and bring back the towel creations later ....

I did get towel creations - but they brought me very little joy - because I felt they were given to me out of guilt.

DizzKnee

Animal Kingdom Lodge concierge stay!

Booked a birthday trip after hearing concierge at AKL was great and I had loved regular room AKL experience. OMG--one technical problem after the other...no mention of birthday at all during stay (not that I expected a party, but usually someone says "Happy Birthday" when you are paying that much!!), original reservation lost and then reinstated--so the indication was that there was some kind of computer problem going on with our reservation file because we were checked out early and locks were changed when we were at the pool one day, were taken off housekeeping and turndown service schedules, no record of our sunrise safari reservation (we had the confirmation number so they reinstated us), overcharged at checkout for the sunrise safari...it was crazy the whole time!!!

At Yacht club we were once booked into a handicapped room when we hadn't requested on, and since I had a toddler, we needed a bathtub (in handicapped room there was just shower). They were full but said they'd have another room available at any time and to wait. We waited all afternoon, kind of roaming around the hotel and checking back every half hour. We were upgraded to a water view finally when the official check in time came and went. I never understood why they didn't just upgrade us to begin with rather than have us wait like that! In all fairness, we were offered a complimentary future stay in concierge at either the Yacht or Beach club (we chose Beach club for our return visit), so I have no complaints about the way it was handled! On the day of our original visit, I'm guessing there were some new staff and the management thought they didn't handle it right or something, because we were treated so royally, and I didn't even ask for any compensation. So nice!!!

To balance this out, I want to add that I've had several stays at the Grand Floridian, a couple of problem free stays at AKL in regular non-concierge rooms, perfect stays at WL concierge, BC concierge, the Swan, and Port Orleans French Quarter....so Disney definitely gets it right the vast majority of the time! We return again and again!

Yacht Club Guy - What about you? Got a good one to share?

Hopefully when we return from our upcoming 1st family trip, I'll have only great things to report! :flower1:

Although not horrible, our worst resort stay was at BC. We (DH, DS-18, DS-16, DD14 and myself) "lucked out" and got one of their small rooms with double, not queen size, beds on the concierge floor. Five adult size bodies was too much for that room! We had to physically move the table and chairs every time we wanted to go on the balconey. There was no room between the bed and the wall/french doors for them. They were at the foot of the bed in front of the daybed directly in the path to the french doors! It was suppose to be water view, but all we could see was trees...not one drop of water. It wasn't a bad trip but the room and room location stunk, especially when you're paying the price of a concierge room! Two rooms for us anywhere else from now on!

Nothing horrible, maybe a bit inconvenient.
Paid for a water view room at Dixie Landings back in 1993 and basically had the view of a pillar from our window. We were WDW rookies, so we didn't even think of asking for another room.

Stayed at AS-Mo last summer and could hear the toilets flush at night.

Only have ever had one problem with bus transportation, again in 1993. Had made PS at Cape May Cafe and tried to take the bus from PO-R, using DTD as our transportation hub. We were about an hour late for our PS. As I said above, we were rookies and just looked at it as a learning experience. We now drive to other resorts if we have a PS and are coming from our room.

This is kind of off the subject, but going to Jellyrolls and having to leave due to the dense fog of cigarette and cigar smoke. Wish they would make that club non smoking like they did at PI.

Honestly, we have not gone! I am tryiing to pick out a good resort to stay at, WL is very nice, so we will be staying there, but we are cought up with the other resort. I am trying to find one, so we can do a split stay. The resorts that are not appealing to me are: All the values, CBR, POR, Polly, GF, San/Dolphin, BC. WE LIKE: YC, WL, AKL, POFQ, BW. that is why I am asking for horror experances! Thanks for responding!

soccer mom said:
Although not horrible, our worst resort stay was at BC. We (DH, DS-18, DS-16, DD14 and myself) "lucked out" and got one of their small rooms with double, not queen size, beds on the concierge floor. Five adult size bodies was too much for that room! We had to physically move the table and chairs every time we wanted to go on the balconey. There was no room between the bed and the wall/french doors for them. They were at the foot of the bed in front of the daybed directly in the path to the french doors! It was suppose to be water view, but all we could see was trees...not one drop of water. It wasn't a bad trip but the room and room location stunk, especially when you're paying the price of a concierge room! Two rooms for us anywhere else from now on!

Honestly, while I enjoyed the theme of the Beach club quite a bit (I just love Cape Cod) I think if we had not had a complimentary stay I would have been disappointed about the cost of the room versus what you get. We were on the fifth floor concierge, and the rooms I've had a GF, BW and YC have all been much bigger...I'm pretty sure the rooms at AKL are bigger as well. That's okay but the view wasn't that great either...just a terrace view of other balconies. We could see the water if we stood at one corner of the balcony and leaned over but it wasn't worth it to do that!!! :) I would definitely pay for a water view (the Boardwalk at night was gorgeous) over concierge. With all the great eateries at the Epcot and on the Boardwalk, we didn't really need the lounge snacks. The lounge was small, not like the great lounge at WL or AKL. I loved our free stay for sure, but I wouldn't pay for it normally.

>>> dormitory type shower

You were assigned to a handicapped room (wheelchair accessible).

Stayed at Coronado Springs this past August, was assigned to a room next to a hissing air conditioner unit that served the whole building. Actually I hardly heard it from inside the room.

Coming back to the room the next night I lost my bearings and also forgot my room number. The only thing I remember was the the room's position relative to an air conditioner so I just listened for the noise and found the room that way rather than hike back to the registration desk!

Stayed many times on site, have not had any gripes so far.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Next trip: Jan 1-7, '05, Pop Century

One night at YC conceirge...the turn-down maid forgot to leave me the mint chocolate on my pillow!!! :scared1:

;)
seriously, never had any complains, anywhere I've stayed: CR, GF, YC, OKW, BWI

Okay, am I the only one surprised that someone named "Yacht Club Guy" is not sure where to stay? :upsidedow

I love hearing about peoples bad experiences because most of the time everyone has great trips. It makes we look at the world through real eyes rather than those rose colored glasses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter