• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shared, genderless restrooms

By law now in California all restrooms that are stand alone......one person allowed in at a time, just a toilet and a sink......must be genderless.....I believe the actual term now is gender neutral.
Company I used to work for built a brand new building in 1990 and 5 of the 13 bathrooms were genderless, so nothing new. The new owner remodeled in 2005 and and took out 3 bathrooms, all were genderless.

Last edited:
When I was a junior, part of my all-male freshmen dorm went co-ed by floor. They didn't remove the urinals but they did shut off the plumbing for them. Someone told me that the women on the floor put artificial flowers in and on top of them.

They also changed the open gang shower room to private cubicles with curtains.
I started College in 1975 and the University had a heavy International student population.
One dorm was totally co-ed, mixed on the same floor, and all the bathrooms and showers were co-ed.
My dorm was co-ed, mixed on the same floor but gender specific bathrooms/showers.
One dorm was men only but women could be in the building.
One dorm was women only but men could be in the building.
One dorm was women only, and men could only be in the building from Noon to 3 pm on Sunday. It was known as the Nunnery. We had a large student population from nations where men and women living in the same building was taboo.

Some of my company’s older stores have a single public restroom. Some have only a toilet and sink, others also have a urinal. One person at a time. I think they had unisex “Men/Women” signs on them. About six months ago the signs on the doors were changed to “All Gender.”

Boy, oh boy, some customers got really triggered over that.

(I realize this is a zombie thread, but I must have missed it 4 years ago.)

And enough people out there are so triggered that unisex bathrooms have to be changed to "all gender" now. Who really cares what the sign on the door says, anyone on either side that gets triggered by that has problems. It's a bathroom, get over it everyone.

All I care about is making sure you leave the room clean when you are finished. And if you have to lift the seat to pee please put it back down.

Lots of places have stopped marking them and are stand alone, this is acceptable.

It wasn't necessarily my intent to discuss single occupancy where one locks the door behind, but of course that comes up since that's the most common alternative. What's happening in Baltimore is more of just a row of these when more commonly these types of bathrooms would be one or two.

What I was really getting at discussing the restrooms at the de Young Museum in San Francisco was that they simply turned existing restrooms into gender neutral ones complete with urinals and basically no changing of anything other than the signs.

It wasn't necessarily my intent to discuss single occupancy where one locks the door behind, but of course that comes up since that's the most common alternative. What's happening in Baltimore is more of just a row of these when more commonly these types of bathrooms would be one or two.

What I was really getting at discussing the restrooms at the de Young Museum in San Francisco was that they simply turned existing restrooms into gender neutral ones complete with urinals and basically no changing of anything other than the signs.
I'm not interested in disrobing in any way in a closed off space with men anywhere in the vicinity, so that would be a no.

Maybe at some point there will be concern for the well being of the millions of sex abuse survivors out there, the majority of whom are XX and whose numbers are staggering, but apparently this is not even on the radar.

Stand alone is the only appropriate solution for everyone.

We were traveling through Texas and stopped at a Buccee's (I may be spelling that wrong). The restrooms were great as all the toilets were in completely closed off rooms with a locking door and they were large enough to change clothes in if you needed to. The restrooms were huge, so no lines waiting for a toilet. Lots of sink space too. If public restrooms were like this, I would not care who was using the next toilet or washing their hands next to me.

I do understand that some women would not be comfortable with this.

And enough people out there are so triggered that unisex bathrooms have to be changed to "all gender" now. Who really cares what the sign on the door says, anyone on either side that gets triggered by that has problems. It's a bathroom, get over it everyone.

All I care about is making sure you leave the room clean when you are finished. And if you have to lift the seat to pee please put it back down.

Just the opposite. People were triggered by the “All Genders” terminology.

All the usual stuff: “There are only two genders.” “You shouldn’t allow freaks to use the restrooms.” Etc. :rolleyes:

I'm not interested in disrobing in any way in a closed off space with men anywhere in the vicinity, so that would be a no.

Maybe at some point there will be concern for the well being of the millions of sex abuse survivors out there, the majority of whom are XX and whose numbers are staggering, but apparently this is not even on the radar.

Stand alone is the only appropriate solution for everyone.

I'm not worried at a busy museum where nobody is going to be alone in there. We have way too many hangups about our anatomy.

I'm not worried at a busy museum where nobody is going to be alone in there. We have way too many hangups about our anatomy.
Hang ups? That's what you think a victim being triggered is, not PTSD or a serious issue, it's a hangup to you? OK, and the second assumption about being in a busy place. Are you under the impression that there is some sort of force field provided by busy? Not to burst the bubble but the poor woman assaulted in plain sight on a busy Philly train a little bit ago and every girl attacked in the middle of a busy frat party might disagree, how about group attacks?

I don't believe in convincing people of anything so I won't go there but I'd suggest that maybe you might want to give things a bit more thought.

One positive I have noticed of non-gender specific restrooms (from working in a place with one) is they seem to stay cleaner / less smelly. Guys seems to know not to mess with a the restroom they share with women but don't seem to care when it is a men's room.
I've not had that experience. Men aren't always specific...

Hang ups? That's what you think a victim being triggered is, not PTSD or a serious issue, it's a hangup to you? OK, and the second assumption about being in a busy place. Are you under the impression that there is some sort of force field provided by busy? Not to burst the bubble but the poor woman assaulted in plain sight on a busy Philly train a little bit ago and every girl attacked in the middle of a busy frat party might disagree, how about group attacks?

I don't believe in convincing people of anything so I won't go there but I'd suggest that maybe you might want to give things a bit more thought.

If anyone is really worried about that sort of thing simply based on people of the opposite sex being in a place where people are just doing their business, I'm not sure what can be helped about that. But if anyone is really suffering PTSD from some sort of event, there are typically single-occupancy facilities. However, men have been attacked by other men in restrooms before but I don't think that banning other men is a solution for that.

In other parts of the world, they're looking at Americans thinking that these are pretty silly hangups. I mean - there are sidewalk urinals and while not every place has them, shared facilities are pretty common.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/ten...-time-at-australian-open-20200120-p53szj.html

The biggest problem seems to be slobs. I certainly agree that it's incumbent on everyone to at least close the stall door, because I don't like that even in a men's room. But then again I've walked in on someone in a port-a-potty or single-occupancy room who failed to close the door. I also had a woman complain that I didn't lock the door in a single-occupancy room when she walked in, although my only reason for being there was to wash my hands and then avoid touching the door.

Hidden within almost every single office, there is an anonymous person spoken about in whispers: someone whose toilet behaviour is so heinous that they garner nicknames like “phantom pooer” or “wet bandit”.​
Many are concerned that with the introduction of unisex bathrooms, these disgusting people could soon be given free rein to unleash their bad habits on entire businesses. And this could be having a not insignificant impact on bathroom use.​
Gender neutral toilets have really taken off in recent years. Google and Facebook were among the big tech companies in the UK to join employers like WeWork, the BBC, Channel 4, Lloyds of London, Barclays, RBS, Wagamama, HSBC and the British Army in offering unisex bathrooms.​
Many more companies are considering whether to follow their lead and turn their toilets into gender neutral spaces, to become more inclusive to the transgender community and respond to lobbying. But the stakes are high: the massive backlash that some redesigns have already had show that these efforts can create new problems.​
In 2018, female Home Office employees refused to use brand new £36,000 gender neutral toilets when they were first introduced because they kept on walking in on male colleagues using the toilet with the door open. A notice had to be placed outside the unisex toilets at the government department to stop this behaviour, stating: “Women are finding use of the toilets quite distressing and are not using these toilets as a result.”​

Some of my company’s older stores have a single public restroom. Some have only a toilet and sink, others also have a urinal. One person at a time. I think they had unisex “Men/Women” signs on them. About six months ago the signs on the doors were changed to “All Gender.”

Boy, oh boy, some customers got really triggered over that.

(I realize this is a zombie thread, but I must have missed it 4 years ago.)
:confused3If there's only one, why label it anything? How about just "Restroom"? (Or even better, "Washroom" but I guess that's a different thread...)

:confused3If there's only one, why label it anything? How about just "Restroom"? (Or even better, "Washroom" but I guess that's a different thread...)

I have no good answer. Perhaps Americans would be confused without some qualifier on the signs. “Is this for both men and women?”

And Americans would definitely be confused by “Washroom.” “I’m not here to do laundry!”

We were traveling through Texas and stopped at a Buccee's (I may be spelling that wrong). The restrooms were great as all the toilets were in completely closed off rooms with a locking door and they were large enough to change clothes in if you needed to. The restrooms were huge, so no lines waiting for a toilet. Lots of sink space too. If public restrooms were like this, I would not care who was using the next toilet or washing their hands next to me.

I do understand that some women would not be comfortable with this.
Gotta love Bu-cee's! Hope you tried some of their snacks (Beaver Nuggets!) or BBQ while you were there. Businesses all over could take a lesson or two from Bu-cee's.

Gotta love Bu-cee's! Hope you tried some of their snacks (Beaver Nuggets!) or BBQ while you were there. Businesses all over could take a lesson or two from Bu-cee's.
Bu-cee’s is amazing. Words cannot do justice to their restrooms, let alone the rest of the store. And I love how the restroom stalls indicate whether they’re vacant or not, just like on an airplane. When we have visitors from other countries, we love to let them discover Bu-cee’s.

I rarely use a public restroom. If they all become genderless, I would make my husband go in with me and stand outside the stall door. I would be frightened that I could be the only woman in the restroom and some strange man walks in. No thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter