Rise of the Resistance to utilize normal queue starting Sept 23.

I don’t think the quick disappearance of the VQ boarding groups necessarily points to a 3+ hour standby wait at ROTR.

With the offsite VQ, people were able to get a BG multiple times in one trip with very little effort. Those same people might not be willing to join a rope drop stampede more than once per trip.

Having done ROTR a few times on previous trips, I am in that category. On my upcoming trip in November I have 2 DHS days planned. Depending on what the situation is, I might pay for an IAS once or rope drop ROTR once, or skip ROTR altogether this trip. With the current VQ system I would try to get a BG both days, but might not use both if the return times are not convenient. I definitely wouldn‘t wait in a standby line as long as an hour for a ride I have done multiple times.

What would be annoying is if the BG's came and went. If it did, you'd have to wake up and be ready to get the 7am BG, because you wouldn't know whether it would be BG or standby that day.

My hope and my guess is that they will switch in and out of VQ as daily demand changes. With recent reports of VQ being available almost all day, a standby line makes more sense. It avoids the unnecessary step of going to the app to get a group. If the line isn't at full capacity all day there is no sense in having VQ. Once the standby lines and crowd levels get to the point where the ride will be at full capacity all day they should return to VQ.

Also, I would argue that in the future, when it comes out of VQ, it should default back to a Genie+ ride and standby not just standby. That seems most logical to me. Time will tell. Just hope I get on it during my mid October trip without a terrible wait.

There were a few days that the VQ was available almost all day but only a few that have been reported and those were a few weeks ago. Since then I believe all BGs were filling.

I assume he’s referring to the process of joining the VQ for ROTR.

Within the last few weeks they changed this process so that in the hour before the VQ opened at 7 AM you could confirm which members of your planning party had park reservations for DHS and were eligible for the VQ.

There are details about this, including sample screens, in the thread that discusses the Boarding Group process.

To me this is just another indication that the elimination of the VQ at ROTR is only temporary.
This is what I meant - not having done ROTR/VQ, I wasn't quite sure how to articulate it.

Are we assuming that RotR isn’t going to be available for the 1/2 Hour Early Entry for resort guests?

Are we assuming that RotR isn’t going to be available for the 1/2 Hour Early Entry for resort guests?
I'm guessing this ride will have delays almost daily that will push it out for that first 30 minutes to more closer to park opening. I really hope when they say 30 minute early entry they actually have everything up and running. We got into MK once and rope dropped SDMT only to stand in that line for nearly 30 minutes while they got the ride cycling. If we weren't near the front I would have bailed, we could have rode 2-3 higher wait time rides at that time with little issue.

We go the week of Thanksgiving. I expect at least $30 per person that week

Wow. I hadn’t even contemplated that they could potentially vary the price during peak and off season.

Going to be interesting for sure to see Genie+ and the new extended evening hours playing out at the same time. The more you pay the more you play I suppose.

I don’t think the quick disappearance of the VQ boarding groups necessarily points to a 3+ hour standby wait at ROTR.

With the offsite VQ, people were able to get a BG multiple times in one trip with very little effort. Those same people might not be willing to join a rope drop stampede more than once per trip.

Having done ROTR a few times on previous trips, I am in that category. On my upcoming trip in November I have 2 DHS days planned. Depending on what the situation is, I might pay for an IAS once or rope drop ROTR once, or skip ROTR altogether this trip. With the current VQ system I would try to get a BG both days, but might not use both if the return times are not convenient. I definitely wouldn‘t wait in a standby line as long as an hour for a ride I have done multiple times.
Absolutely correct. And we saw this exact scenario play out this week. Fears of crazy long waits did not materialize. Yes, it's a low crowd week. Still, despite Disney inflating the estimated wait time on the app, the longest anyone reported waiting was maybe 90 minutes or so.

Absolutely correct. And we saw this exact scenario play out this week. Fears of crazy long waits did not materialize. Yes, it's a low crowd week. Still, despite Disney inflating the estimated wait time on the app, the longest anyone reported waiting was maybe 90 minutes or so.
In addition to the current light crowds, we don't have IAS yet either.

In recent years, headliner attractions have had 80-90% of their capacity allocated to FastPass.

With Disney charging for ROTR IAS starting in "early October" (an exact date has not yet been announced), Disney will have a strong financial incentive to keep IAS allocation at a very high percentage.

Give it a few weeks for crowds to pick up and IAS to start. 3-hour waits for ROTR will become as common at they are at FOP.

In addition to the current light crowds, we don't have IAS yet either.

In recent years, headliner attractions have had 80-90% of their capacity allocated to FastPass.

With Disney charging for ROTR IAS starting in "early October" (an exact date has not yet been announced), Disney will have a strong financial incentive to keep IAS allocation at a very high percentage.

Give it a few weeks for crowds to pick up and IAS to start. 3-hour waits for ROTR will become as common at they are at FOP.

it also remains to be seen when IAS comes in if they will go back to some kind of VQ for ROTR.

it also remains to be seen when IAS comes in if they will go back to some kind of VQ for ROTR.
I originally assumed they would return to a VQ for ROTR but from what I have more recently heard, it sounds like Standby line will be the default mode of operation for ROTR, with VQ deployed only for the heaviest crowds.

I originally assumed they would return to a VQ for ROTR but from what I have more recently heard, it sounds like Standby line will be the default mode of operation for ROTR, with VQ deployed only for the heaviest crowds.

This circles back to concerns about 3 hour standby lines.

They can use VQ to prevent that, either by having remote access to boarding groups or assigning them at the attraction. But changing methods too often will just lead to confusion.

I’m looking at the current standby line as a test to see how having a standby line at ROTR works. It may or may not have been necessitated by system considerations.

Last edited:
My family got to DHS at 8:25am today. They are in the ROTR line now. My husband said they have people lined up throughout the park so there is no way to guesstimate wait time. He says it looks like 4-5 miles of people lol. First posted wait time on the app @9am is 105 minutes.

Entered preshow 9:25am.

Through the ride @ 9:45am.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter