Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note on cell phones and carriers.

The issue with a carrier is simply can your phone get a signal through. The amount of data needed should be trivial. No one has reported in this thread any issues with T-Mobile, Sprint, or Verizon, and the issues reported with AT&T have been a small % of total AT&T datapoints.

If you can load a website at 7:59, you should be fine.

As for phones, I haven’t seen anything in this thread or the WDW thread to make me think that your phone model matters

What good cellular data speed, # of mbps?
Along with all of the tips re being sure of current app, restarting phone, closing other apps, etc - another great one & the one I think helped me the most is to check connection speed and find a spot with the best....and keep checking it, moving if necessary as speeds will change as more as people gather. I had BG 23 yesterday and 19 today by moving out of slower areas to somewhere that was faster. And fast one day is not necessarily fast the next as I got mine in two very different areas. Just looking at bars is not enough and can be deceiving.

What is a good cellular data speed, # of mbps?

The issue with a carrier is simply can your phone get a signal through. The amount of data needed should be trivial. No one has reported in this thread any issues with T-Mobile, Sprint, or Verizon, and the issues reported with AT&T have been a small % of total AT&T datapoints.

As for phones, I haven’t seen anything in this thread or the WDW thread to make me think that your phone model matters

I don't think the model matters so much as the OS. I have my suspicions that the app behaves slightly differently on Apple vs. Android. I would be very interested in hearing from an Android user who had success with the Status page/Find out More Cha-Cha or the Status page refresh pull-down approach.

I don't have the time to read through everything so some of this may be duplicate. But I'll put it here in case it helps anyone else. We were at the resort on 5-day parkhoppers last Fri & Sat and then again Mon-Wed. Got to park on Friday in afternoon so didn't have a shot at the new ride. Saturday got BG 45 from Fantasyland since we were in for Magic Morning. Mon-Wed were all in Town Square on the curb facing the Parade doors on Verizon and got BGs 10 on Mon, then 4 on Tue, then 1 on Wednesday. We seemed to get better at it everyday. :) Every time my son's phone was the fastest (Apple XR). My Samsung Galaxy 7 was lagging way behind! ;)

For what it's worth, here's what we did. I think this is all the steps. I'll have my son confirm later tonight if I remember.

Make sure where you are has maximum bars for reception. Town Square seemed excellent for Verizon.
Have everyone's ticket scanned into everyone else's phone/app and make sure you see your group. Remove anyone not scanned into the park from your app.
Ideally do a Fastpass to test the group if you have MaxPass. Everyone may as well try for a BG
Restart phone at least 10 minutes before open
Turn off wifi
Turn off Bluetooth
Optimize phone settings for speed etc. No need to save battery at this time. :)
Don't launch any other apps except Disneyland app (one exception to this was I had clock app open per below, but I was never the fast one anyway...)
Wait at Main app page
Have someone with a seconds countdown on a phone or watch count down for you. Ideally test the clock app you are using to make sure it is synced perfectly with your provider
Right at the hour, hit Find Out More
Hit Join Boarding Group if Available, if not hit My Status if it is available, then hit Join a Boarding Group
Breathe, or curse... ;)

Best of luck!

The model (more specifically your resolution) matters slightly.

Higher resolution displays don't have to scroll at all to get a BG.

People with smaller phones have to scroll during a few points during the BG process.

What good cellular data speed, # of mbps?

What is a good cellular data speed, # of mbps?
I’m sorry, I don’t really know for this. Someone earlier reported getting over 100 & I have not seen that. I also don’t know how they checked that.

One person said google internet connection speed & use the first one in the search results so that’s what I have been using.

on that site, the best I’ve had is around 60-70 in this area. It also is comparable to what I saw on my wireless at home. So walking around here in the parks, when was seeing 5 or 10 or 15 or 20,I’d move to a different spot. Those numbers may be unique to my phone or the app but for me the comparisons were all using the same device & app so I felt comfortable that higher was a little better then lower.

Those more technical on this thread may be laughing or may have more insight but it worked for me. And what works for me may not work the same for someone else as there is no consistency at all

well maybe my issue is not with my phone but with AT&T, my carrier

but even when I’m on wifi, when I’m in the DL app on my phone, frequently I tap a button and get zero response for seconds. I may have to tap several times, or just wait 10-20 sec for the app to respond

hence my impression being that the issue is with my phone. I recently tried to install an app from ITunes and got a message that I didn’t have enough available memory to install the app

my sense is that my phone itself can barely run the DL app not so much that it’s having trouble sending or receiving data. But I honestly don’t know much about the tech specifications of cell phones

Went again today. Parking was a bad. I got off the freeway about 6:50 am and then took at least 30 minutes to park. I made it in the park about 7:48 am (lucked out with a line that split) and immediately exited the park once scanned in. I found a bench off to the side of the esplanade and checked connection speed. Since it was very good, I stayed put. At 8 am, I got right in and removed my mom from my boarding group and got boarding group 34. I headed into DCA at that point and enjoyed the low crowds over there. My boarding group was called about 10:50 am. For comparison, last week I got back up group 84 and we were called about 4:45 pm. I have an iPhone 11 pro on Verizon.

I've been following along on this closely because I have a trip coming up at the end of February. I am meeting up with a group of friends, many of who have APs (as do I). Other friends will have PHs.

What is the consensus on UN-linking the APs after linking them (in order to get into the same boarding group, if successful)? Can it still not be un-done without a phone call? Has anyone done it? Is it an arduous process?

I've been following along on this closely because I have a trip coming up at the end of February. I am meeting up with a group of friends, many of who have APs (as do I). Other friends will have PHs.

What is the consensus on UN-linking the APs after linking them (in order to get into the same boarding group, if successful)? Can it still not be un-done without a phone call? Has anyone done it? Is it an arduous process?
Assuming it is the same as linking for MaxPass, linking and unlinking is super simple and always has been, no need to call unless you are unlucky enough to have one of the difficult accounts that messes everything up.

Have someone with a seconds countdown on a phone or watch count down for you. Ideally test the clock app you are using to make sure it is synced perfectly with your provider
Sharing an experience re countdowns - I’ve been using my Apple Watch with a clockface that has a second hand, and clicking the appropriate button when the second hand gets to the top of the hour for park opening.

My nephew was near a guy who was counting down the seconds out loud and several people around were counting along with him. The guy’s countdown was a few seconds ahead of the time on my nephew’s phone. When the guy hit “zero” he and most others around did not get any active buttons & started clicking frantically. My nephew waited the extra second or two until his phone showed 0800, clicked right in and got BG 19. Others around were either still looking for an active button or else got backup groups.

Lesson here is go with your device, don’t listen to countdown from neighboring peeps as You don’t know what they are using to count down.

Big news everyone, there will be a star wars night on August 27th and galaxys edge will be open for it. There will be special drinks available and a special fireworks show. Tickets are not available yet and prices have not been revealed. Another thing to take note is the rides available for that night have not been revealed, but this the perfect after hours event for rise of the resistance.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/01/...s-twin-moons-eclipse-day-in-galaxys-edge/amp/

We're going next Friday and stay at DL Hotel. Are we able to ride the monorail in early in the morning or should we go to the Main Gate? The park opens at 8 and the original plan was to go to the main gate at 7:15ish but wondering what other opinions may be. We are hoping for RoTR Boarding groups :)

Sharing an experience re countdowns - I’ve been using my Apple Watch with a clockface that has a second hand, and clicking the appropriate button when the second hand gets to the top of the hour for park opening.

My nephew was near a guy who was counting down the seconds out loud and several people around were counting along with him. The guy’s countdown was a few seconds ahead of the time on my nephew’s phone. When the guy hit “zero” he and most others around did not get any active buttons & started clicking frantically. My nephew waited the extra second or two until his phone showed 0800, clicked right in and got BG 19. Others around were either still looking for an active button or else got backup groups.

Lesson here is go with your device, don’t listen to countdown from neighboring peeps as You don’t know what they are using to count down.
Yeah, I've been wondering about that.

Checking against the NIST website, my phone appears to run a few seconds behind. So far playing along at home, I have been able to get in when my phone hits opening time. This morning I tried 5 seconds earlier and got nothing, and no amount of refreshing or restarting helped. I don't know if there is a correlation here, or if today's mechanics were different from the last couple days.

Funny thing is I probably won't get the chance to go while BGs are still a thing. I'm still thinking of President's weekend...but it's going to be hard to justify especially since that weekend will probably be nutty.

We're going next Friday and stay at DL Hotel. Are we able to ride the monorail in early in the morning or should we go to the Main Gate? The park opens at 8 and the original plan was to go to the main gate at 7:15ish but wondering what other opinions may be. We are hoping for RoTR Boarding groups :)
We haven't heard any reports of anyone successfully using the Monorail gate and getting a BG. You might try asking the CM at the monorail gate what time they will start letting folks in. Technically it is a DL gate...

Monorail doesn’t generally run before the park opens. It’s possible they might scan you in from there before the park opens but it would be close to opening time. I would go in the park at 7am at the main gate and take advantage of your extra hour from being a hotel guest.

We haven't heard any reports of anyone successfully using the Monorail gate and getting a BG. You might try asking the CM at the monorail gate what time they will start letting folks in. Technically it is a DL gate...
Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter