Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Word is definitely getting out. Today was crazy. Way more people than I expected from previous reports. Way worse than our experience WDW.

We did ROTR a couple weeks ago at DHS and today was our attempt at DLR. Wow, what a difference. There were way more people at DLR than DHS from what I could tell. It was a very stressful morning.

We are staying at the Grand and got up around 6:45 am. We were at the downtown disney security gate from the hotel right after 7am. OMG the lines were crazy. My stress level shot through the roof. I had a backpack, but DH and DS23 (birthday boy today) didn't have any bags so I sent them through the line. I figured worst case scenario they would be in the park and able to ride even if I couldn't. I ran back up to the room to get rid of my backpack. The no bag line was walk through, and I caught up with them at the magic morning lines. I can't believe they had all those hotel people funneling through one line.

Then by time we got to the gates, the magic morning lines were ridiculous. They seemed to take forever. This was a completely different experience from WDW where you "tap in" very quickly. We seemed to be in the line that had every clueless person possible. Super frustrating. We didn't get though until about 7:40! Not what I was expecting.

We stuck to the right to enter the not-very-magic-morning line and headed toward the back of the park by small world. I had a speed tester app going and we tried out a few different places, and I was panicking. Last night when I speed tested *inside* Oga's, I was getting in the 150s. Today it was more like in the 30s. I finally found a place that was decent (70s) and we sat down without our five phones. The three of us had our regular iPhones (one 11, one x, and one 8 all on AT&T) as well as an old 8 and an old 6 that were on wifi. I had my apple watch with the count down on the table. We decided to split the difference and had two phones at the landing page and three pones with nothing open. It was all a flurry, but basically, I had a couple phones turn red, and I ended up going with the oldest phone (the iPhone 6) that was on wifi. I could have also done my iPhone 11 on AT&T, but I was worried about doing something at the same time and screwing up. So I kept my iPhone 11 AT&T on the red "join boarding group" page while I proceeded on the old iPhone 6. We ended up with boarding group 53, which was perfect for us as we had the napa rose princess breakfast for DS's birthday.

There were so many people that didn't get groups, I felt really badly for them. At WDW, it felt like most people were successful. That wasn't how it seemed here. I'm not sure how long the regular boarding groups lasted, but it felt really fast. My husband said he had a full about 35 seconds after 8.

WDW felt way more civilized compared to this morning. Very stressful.

Sorry for such a stressful morning you had. I'm glad you all were able to get a BG! Hope you all have a great weekend and Happy Birthday to your DS!

This morning the crowds were (as illustrated above) insane. I’ve never personally seen it like that. (Buy we’re out of state and avoid brand new opening stuff) We got in around 7:40, and my husband stayed DL while I left after a few minutes and scanned into CA. It was gloriously empty over there. Quieter than I’ve ever seen it. We are on Verizon. My husband has an XR and could t ever get it to show a red button. He said his whole app got super slow. I was by the Walt statue (ish) in CA and my app was lightning fast. However, my button stayed grey exactly at 8 when I said Find Out More or whatever. I quickly clicked on My Status and it gave me the option to join a boarding group there. Group 38! However, once our group was called, we got in line maybe 15 minutes later, and the ride **** down before we made it to the front. I asked, and was told they won’t give us a pass to return if we leave the line.

This morning the crowds were (as illustrated above) insane. I’ve never personally seen it like that. (Buy we’re out of state and avoid brand new opening stuff) We got in around 7:40, and my husband stayed DL while I left after a few minutes and scanned into CA. It was gloriously empty over there. Quieter than I’ve ever seen it. We are on Verizon. My husband has an XR and could t ever get it to show a red button. He said his whole app got super slow. I was by the Walt statue (ish) in CA and my app was lightning fast. However, my button stayed grey exactly at 8 when I said Find Out More or whatever. I quickly clicked on My Status and it gave me the option to join a boarding group there. Group 38! However, once our group was called, we got in line maybe 15 minutes later, and the ride **** down before we made it to the front. I asked, and was told they won’t give us a pass to return if we leave the line.
Thats terrible that they wont let you leave due to a breakdown. It takes at least an hour to reset the ride. What if you have to use the restroom or your kids if you have them? Can you leave then?

Thats terrible that they wont let you leave due to a breakdown. It takes at least an hour to reset the ride. What if you have to use the restroom or your kids if you have them? Can you leave then?
I asked about that specifically and they said they should be able to work with us if that was an issue.

We got BG 23 yesterday and 20 today. Parks are SO much busier today than yesterday. I figured they would be but this morning was crazy. I didn’t think we would make it through the gates in time. Esplanade both days backed up to almost DCA. I appreciate all the tips here, worked great for us.

We got BG 23 yesterday and 20 today. Parks are SO much busier today than yesterday. I figured they would be but this morning was crazy. I didn’t think we would make it through the gates in time. Esplanade both days backed up to almost DCA. I appreciate all the tips here, worked great for us.

Can i ask your method that got great BG's? Where were you standing and app open or open app at 8:00

Has anyone had success with an iPhone 6s on T-Mobile? I'm going next week and am wondering how low I should set my expectations.

Can i ask your method that got great BG's? Where were you standing and app open or open app at 8:00

Yes, enquiring minds want to know your strategy!

Last edited:
Yes, inquiring minds want to know your strategy!

3 of us all on Sprint. Closed all apps and opened DL app a few minutes before start time. Stayed on home page and hit find out more button right at start time. We all had WiFi off. DH got BG 23 first day on his IPhone X. DD got 20 today on her XR and I also got red button on my iPhone 8 but she beat me getting a group. We stood under a tree near bottom of stairs to train station both times. Good luck!

It was down for a little over an hour when we were waiting.

Along with all of the tips re being sure of current app, restarting phone, closing other apps, etc - another great one & the one I think helped me the most is to check connection speed and find a spot with the best....and keep checking it, moving if necessary as speeds will change as more as people gather. I had BG 23 yesterday and 19 today by moving out of slower areas to somewhere that was faster. And fast one day is not necessarily fast the next as I got mine in two very different areas. Just looking at bars is not enough and can be deceiving.

You have to scan into Disneyland to join the queue but you don’t have to stay there. You can go to DCA. For child swap, I think everyone riding still needs a boarding group and they will send the second person down the FP line. Not sure if they allow 2 people to join like they do for other rides.

Thank you!

Also does everyone that want to ride need to have a cell phone to join the queue? My nine year old does not have one?

That Tinkerbell!!!!! The good concept about her sprinkling magic dust is that she equally spreads the clueless folks into all lines.
There are a lot of them, LOL!!! So many people turned back from the magic morning lines for not having magic morning. Then there are the pics :(

Sorry for such a stressful morning you had. I'm glad you all were able to get a BG! Hope you all have a great weekend and Happy Birthday to your DS!
Thanks for commiserating. It really was not fun and a vast difference from WDW. I'm such a Disneyland fan girl that I rarely say this, but they were much more efficient and better run.

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes for DS. I think he's had a great day so far. Our boarding group was called a little before three and we had a nice seamless ride. He loved it so the hassle and stress was definitely worth it. Now off to Tortilla Jos for some relaxing, well-earned margaritas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter