READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so bummed about how quickly the non-backup BGs went today. I was hoping the speculation here was correct that things would calm down after the holidays last week and go back to the 15 minutes +. Yesterday was hopeful. Today not so much. Here's hoping it was ride related today and things go back to sane-ish tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to the stress on Thursday already :(

I am definitely NOT a morning person but add me to the group who doesn't want to have the boarding groups released in waves as suggested. I want it over and done with as quickly as possible. The only caveat is that if it stays bad like this with early crowds I wouldn't mind seeing a Japanese style lottery as a poster mentioned a few days ago. That allows you to arrive at your will and take your one shot of getting a BG whenever you want.

Okay so I'm planning on having DH, DD and myself all trying to snag a BG. DH has his own MDE account, DD is only 12 is managed by me so she cannot have her "own" yet (correct?). I will have DD log in with my account, but should DH try using his own account? Does it matter?

as long as he has the ability to manage you and your DD info and add them to a BG, etc. then it doesn't really matter

Personally I am planning to have my wife log in to my account just to avoid any potential issues but I don't think it really matters

Thank you all for your advice in this thread!
  • Took an Uber at 5:45, at the main gate at 6
  • Tapped into the park at 6:30
  • Standing at the entrance to Galaxy's Edge by 6:45
  • Boarding groups opened at 7, got boarding group 13
  • Was about to board for Smugglers Run and our group was called around 8:15
  • Line for RoTR was about 5 minutes

Okay so I'm planning on having DH, DD and myself all trying to snag a BG. DH has his own MDE account, DD is only 12 is managed by me so she cannot have her "own" yet (correct?). I will have DD log in with my account, but should DH try using his own account? Does it matter?
You'd want to all be in the same MDE account if you all want the same BG.

If DH is seperate, he may get BG 37 while you 2 get BG 64. You won't be riding together.

Your analysis is carefully thought out, yet you have not convinced me. Because if the reason I want to go to DHS is to experience RotR I do not want to have to hang around DHS until 3 pm if I don't get a BG on the first try. And I especially don't want to do it if I spend all day there without RotR BG success and then go back on another day of my vacation in order to try for RotR again. I want to find out first thing and make my plans from there.

Making a wild guess here: You don't like getting up early!

I totally understand your's and @DGsAtBLT point of view. However, if I walk into DHS at noon after spending a fun morning at MK or EP, I don't look at it as a missed opportunity since I wasn't there for RD or the first two BG releases, I look at it as a chance to get a BG at 12:30pm and 3pm (and maybe 5pm). If I hadn't gotten the BG that day, and I prepared my kids with that very possible reality, I would've shrugged my shoulders, said "oh well," and my family would've enjoyed the rest of the day.

My family will wake up when we need to wake up to do something; granted my kids are teenagers now, and I couldn't fathom trying to do this if they were younger especially since we spent 16 hours at DHS that day. That said, waking up before dawn after a late night at MK for an amusement park ride is not something I would consider a relaxing vacation.

I totally understand your's and @DGsAtBLT point of view. However, if I walk into DHS at noon after spending a fun morning at MK or EP, I don't look at it as a missed opportunity since I wasn't there for RD or the first two BG releases, I look at it as a chance to get a BG at 12:30pm and 3pm (and maybe 5pm). If I hadn't gotten the BG that day, and I prepared my kids with that very possible reality, I would've shrugged my shoulders, said "oh well," and my family would've enjoyed the rest of the day.

My family will wake up when we need to wake up to do something; granted my kids are teenagers now, and I couldn't fathom trying to do this if they were younger especially since we spent 16 hours at DHS that day. That said, waking up before dawn after a late night at MK for an amusement park ride is not something I would consider a relaxing vacation.

A staggered system certainly makes it easier for people who hop into DHS for a later grab time, and you’re right it’s easier for those people to shrug their shoulders when they miss out.

I just look at how quickly 100% of the BG sell out at park opening time, and think what an absolute mess this would be for people who are actually willing to dedicate all their effort to ROTR and make it their first priority. Those people aren’t going to shrug their shoulders and move on after the first drop, or the second. I don’t think those people should have to compete with families who can take it or leave it, but might as well try since it doesn’t require that much sacrifice on their part.

But how would you feel after doing that 4 times and still not getting access to a BG? The odds will be much harder in that scenario.

But how would you feel after doing that 4 times and still not getting access to a BG? The odds will be much harder in that scenario.

We also rode on MFSR (twice), ToT, RnR, AS2, and Star Tours, we saw some Storm Troopers walk around, we drank blue milk, I got selected to be an extra at the Indiana Jones show, we got a drink at Oga's Cantina, we saw fireworks, we saw Fantasmic. We didn't get to ride SDD or TSM, my wife and daughter didn't get to enjoy a vegan sundae/milkshake at Sci-Fi Diner or 50's Prime Time Cafe, it took us nearly two hours in the single rider line at RnR since I couldn't get a FP for it. Removing RotR from that whole equation still meant we had a fun day.

Last edited:

A staggered system certainly makes it easier for people who hop into DHS for a later grab time, and you’re right it’s easier for those people to shrug their shoulders when they miss out.

I just look at how quickly 100% of the BG sell out at park opening time, and think what an absolute mess this would be for people who are actually willing to dedicate all their effort to ROTR and make it their first priority. Those people aren’t going to shrug their shoulders and move on after the first drop, or the second. I don’t think those people should have to compete with families who can take it or leave it, but might as well try since it doesn’t require that much sacrifice on their part.

I agree w/ pseudoswede. DGsAtBLT and others opposed to the staggered times are asking for a system to reward effort. That's similar to the original system where you could get a BG as soon as you entered, therefore, people arrived earlier and earlier to be first in line. That's fine for individuals, but does not work for the masses.
Pseudoswede's suggestion of staggered release would, at least, dissipate some of the early morning crowd and make rope dropping other attractions more favorable.

I think the big takeaway from these past 2 days is that if you’re inside the park when the park opens, you’re getting a regular BG. It shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes to secure one. Even if the BGs dropped to 114, 5 minutes seems like forever compared to the mornings they maxed out in seconds. Even more so that back ups are lasting until 9am.

this is the difference between “peak” and “non peak”. Which in my eyes, I’m more than happy with according to this small sample size.

You'd want to all be in the same MDE account if you all want the same BG.

If DH is seperate, he may get BG 37 while you 2 get BG 64. You won't be riding together.

Our accounts are linked (family/friends) as is our ADR's and FP's. But he just has his own login. My other two daughter's have accounts managed by me. But DD12 has a phone with the MDE app installed. I was planning on her and I both using my log-in to try for a group. But if DH is trying using his log-in he would be in a separate group? Just trying to think of all the "what-if" scenarios.

If that's the case, I'll just have all three of us using my log-in. Maybe a few of us doing wifi, and some using data (Verizon).

I think the big takeaway from these past 2 days is that if you’re inside the park when the park opens, you’re getting a regular BG. It shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes to secure one. Even if the BGs dropped to 114, 5 minutes seems like forever compared to the mornings they maxed out in seconds. Even more so that back ups are lasting until 9am.

this is the difference between “peak” and “non peak”. Which in my eyes, I’m more than happy with according to this small sample size.
It really doesn't take more than 10 seconds to get a bg, of course as long as the app is working properly

I'm hoping that this is the case! I don't care what number we get, as long as we get a number after waking up at 5:30am!

HS has max cap at around 75k.
Let's say after RoR settles down it averages: 120 ppl per BG, 120 BGs and 50 back-ups.
That's about 14k guests guaranteed rides, and 6k who have a decent shot.
1/3 of max cap arrives, so 25k ppl out of 75k possible.
There are 20k slots to give 25k ppl, so a 4 out of 5 chance to succeed.

Let's take that to 4 time windows-
Park open: 25k guests there, 5k get a BG. 1 in 5 chance to succeed.
12:30p: 45k guests minus 5k with BGs, so 40k and 5k get BG#2. 1 in 8 chance.
3:30p: 55k guests minus 10k with BGs, so 45k and 5k get BG#3. 1 in 9 chance.
5:30p: 45k guests minus 15k with BGs, so 30k and 5k get BG#4. 1 in 6 chance.
Attending all 4 windows, you now only have a 3 out 5 chance to succeed. For every window you missed, your chances go down further. For guests who are trying during the 2 midday windows, they'll likely have to show up to HS 3 or 4 days before success at BG.

We also rode on MFSR (twice), ToT, RnR, AS2, and Star Tours, we saw some Storm Troopers walk around, we drank blue milk, I got selected to be an extra at the Indiana Jones show, we got a drink at Oga's Cantina, we saw fireworks, we saw Fantasmic. We didn't get to ride SDD or TSM, my wife and daughter didn't get to enjoy a vegan sundae/milkshake at Sci-Fi Diner or 50's Prime Time Cafe, it took us nearly two hours in the single rider line at RnR since I couldn't get a FP for it. Removing RotR from that whole equation still meant we had a fun day.
That sounds like fun on Day 1. But if you really wanted to try RoR, Day 2 will not be as fun as you did most of what you wanted already. By Day 3 and 4, you'll be upset and will try to see what Guests Relations can do to help only to notice that line has grown to a 2 hour wait with all the other unsuccessful guests.

I'm ballparking here, but however I play this out in my head, staggering just seems to be full of more issues than the current method.

A lottery may work. I'm not sure how Japan goes about it, but I'd imagine potentially they can keep track of how successful/unsuccessful a guest has been at previous attempts and take that into consideration when determining a fate.

Am I the only one who thinks MMRR will open as MFSR did? Just a regular line. No fp, no boarding pass.

I've been wondering about that- why everyone is assuming that it will have BGs. If you have more people showing up because of ROTR, then add MMRR with a BG system people are still riding the rest of the rides while they wait for their BGs. It puts more demand on the other rides because people aren't standing in line for the two new rides. MFSR didn't have BGs or fastpass and everyone said it was a good thing because it kept the line reasonable. Why would MMRR be different- unless it's expected to have operational issues like ROTR?

Did you use wifi or 4g? Did you find that the area near Star Tours had decent reception?
Used WiFi and yes much better reception there than we had on Toy Story side Saturday. I opened the app at 5 seconds to 7 and clicked through each screen. Others in my group used data only and I got in first. Probably less than half the crowd of Saturday today too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter