Radisson Resort Parkway

wombat_5606

DIS Veteran
Just returned from 3 night stay at this hotel May 15, 2006. I am worried about this being recommended on Disney websites. A man exposed himself in the parking lot to a female guest in broad daylight. Security was patrolling the pool for someone who had commited a crime against another guest, which I assumed was theft. Our air conditioner went out at 2am with a horrendous noise and was still not repaired at 11pm, after giving them all day to do so. Had to move across the entire resort at 11pm after having to insist they give us another room, then had to spend a couple of hours of our vacation moving our things to the new room(not to mention money for the bellman). Then after another day at the parks we came home late at night to a room that had not been cleaned that day. Not very pleasant when you are tired. We did not get adequate satisfaction from the hotel staff. For my money, we will never stay anywhere but Disney. I do think someone should investigate this place thoroughly before continuing to recommend this as an alternative to Disney hotels.

Although we didn't have those sort of problems we just did not enjoy our stay there in Feb. 2005. It was not as clean in the room as we would have liked and the pools were "dirty looking". However, the landscaping was pretty and the room was quiet. One last comment, check your bill carefully, we never once took anything out of our mini bar but were charged for 3 items (although they were removed upon us bringing that to their attention).

I would not rec. this hotel myself but I know most "non-Disney" hotels may be a somewhat similar experience (not all non-Disney hotels, we have stayed at the Ritz and the Nick Family Suites hotel while in Orldando and loved them both.)

That is just my impression of the hotel. I know others may have differing opinions. And unlike the OP, I didn't notice anything really dangerous or scary going on...however, our mini van was keyed at the CR last time we dined at Chef Mickey's so you can never tell what will happen where. It's sad but true.

OP, sorry you had such a time of things! That would have been very frustrating indeed!

We stayed there for one night last year and was not that thrilled with the hotel either. We had to change rooms because the first room smelled really bad of mold and the pools did look dirty.

We stayed there 2 nights in March 2005 and really didn't like it very much. It just wasn't that clean and the pool area was not well kept.

We stayed there back in 2001 and we didnt like it. I remember being excited about the place because we got a great deal, and it got one of the top ratings for a non-disney hotel in the Unofficial Guide. It was ok but we have definately would have rather stayed somewhere else.

I guess one good thing came out of it as that was the trip we bought DVC :)

DH and I stayed there in 2003. Our experience was horrible. We were billed for items we never ordered or used (mini bar, newspaper. room service). We were given the brush off when we asked for a phone number for Mears. Mears had forgotten to pick us up for the airport. The comment we were given was "They dont handle that area-sorry). So when we asked for phone numbers for taxi cabs we were given the same response. I wont even go into the situation we had with asking for a phone book. We ended up having to stand outside writing done numbers of taxi cabs that drove by. I would NEVER NEVER NEVER recommend them.

We stayed here for a few days last year and it wasn't so bad.

I DO agree with the smell of mold and mildew in the room and hallways in some parts of the hotel! I noticed that it seemed to only be on the top floor though.

When we checked into the room I barely noticed it, but when I opened the door it was terrible! I went downstairs to report it and the CSR said "we'll send someone to check on that"... I said check on what? I want a different room! We had roamed around the hotel and could easily tell the difference. We made sure to have at least one floor over us.. and there was no smell at all. The room was very nice (the first one was too).. and everything in that section seemed much cleaner and newer. They seemed to be renovating some floors as when the elevator door opened they were people laying down carpeting.

The pool area seemed clean, but there was never any towels. The heated pool was not warm enough... but it was immaculately clean. Most people chose the free form one, I guess because of the slide and waterfall. My daughter preferred that one.. but it's Coooooold!!!

We only ate in their restaurant once.. pricey for the quality.. not impressed.

The grounds were pretty an nicely kept.

The staff were TERRIBLE for the most part. My experience with the front desk was that they did their job and that's it. I don't even think any of them smiled at all. The housekeeping were just plain unfriendly. I would smile and say goodmorning... and they wouldn't even smile back. And yes.. I did tip housekeeping daily.

Housekeeping in general was ok. The room was cleaned every day, lots of clean towels, beds made, trash emptied, tidied a bit, but NOT vaccuumed every day I noticed. The beds are only changed if you leave this cardboard bed-changing sign on them.. and when we did they were changed.

They DO charge you for some dumb USA day delivery and I think for water or juice or something.. it's part of the hotel fee.

The hotel overall was ok. I would never pay rack rate for them (about 117 I think). I got a good deal because of their best rate guarantee.. 25% off the lowest price if you find the same room on another site cheaper than on the radisson site. I think it was about $65 a night before tax & fees.

This year we will be spending our first 4 nights there... even if it is as good.. it'll be good enough. I just hope it's not worse.. or bad! We got another decent deal, 4 nights for $369 after tax and fees.

But then it's off to AKL & WL for 12 nights to make up for it.. so I think we'll live!

We stayed there a few years ago.

The room was okay, I wasn't unhappy with it.

I did get the room on Priceline,,and I only paid somewhere like 50 bucks for the room.

I had a baby. I didn't know whether or not to bring my pack and play so I called and they said it was no problem, they would have a crib in the room. When I got to the hotel at 4 I requested it again. When we got back and got in our room, no crib. They didn't deliver it until after 11! I was livid---no one could sleep until then.

we have only had bad off-site experiences both with Universal and Disney. I will never stay off-site again. I know alot of people love staying off-site and have good luck, but I figure I don't get to vacation that often, so I want to make sure I have as best a trip possible. Sorry you had such an awful experience and I certainly hope the sites that recommend this hotel do some more current research on them.

I also did not enjoy my offsite stay. I rented a condo from an owner recently. BIG MISTAKE. I travel frequently and have never felt so uncomfortable! The owner gave me so many do's and don'ts after I signed the contract. I felt that I had to tiptoe around the condo because I was afraid to break anything! I will definitely not rent from her again.

We've been back now for a couple of weeks. I thought I'd update my 'review' of the Radisson.

Well the name has now changed to the Radisson Resort Celebration. I'm not sure why, whether it changed hands or what.

First.. I got the price of $369 in my confirmation (for 4 nights.. that's including taxes and fees), but for some reason it came to $329. Nope, I didn't complain.

I had also paid the $10 extra a night for the pool view and I was so glad I did! We were on the 6th floor in the 1000 building.. central to everything with just an elevator ride down. The view of the pool was nice.

poolviewRadisson.jpg
poolviewRadisson2.jpg

Housekeeping was pretty good. They seemed to change the sheets every night without us asking which was nice. And the comforter they changed when I left the cardboard "change me" sign on it (I'd gotten something on it.. ok.. it was CHOCOLATE!!..lol). They didn't vacuumm every day though.. same thing as last time.

This time the desk people were really nice! Very friendly.. even gave me lots of FREE coupons (for bottled water, a drink from the pool bar and a drink from the lobby bar). The FREE drinks were any kind too! I used them a couple of times and ordered a nice froo froo type $8.95 drink.. for free!!
I was with DD so couldn't take advantage of all the nice free drinks :guilty: (though we did use all the free bottled water coupons). I gave the drink ones to a group of people when we were checking out. Friendly and grateful.

I had no problems here this time at all. The room was great. The first night the toilet clogged (my dd put something in it she shouldn't have.. she panicked and flushed it!!..lol). They came up immediately at almost 11pm and fixed it in about 10 minutes.
The refrigerator is now free.. and BIG compared to the Disney ones.
They have a courtesy computer (2 of them) in the business office that you may use. And I did several times.

The pool area was pretty darn clean! And... TOWELS EVERYWHERE!! Yea! We went to the pool many times and they always had towels. A nice change from last time. They had an activities director that did some kids games around the pool a few times. We only saw her twice while we were there.

The big pool is still too cold for me.. I wish they'd heat that one. My dd spent lots of time in there. She loves the slide (you can see it in one of the pics), and the waterfall.

All in all.. a great visit. For what I paid I was thrilled (I was billed correctly, on the bill and on my cc statement).
I may consider it for a short time next year too if I get a good price for it again. We still get all the Disney time without the prices. We have APs and the AP rates weren't available for AKL or WL this year. That's where we stayed after the Radisson. Sure I'd love to stay on property the whole time. But cutting off the 4 nights on property this year saved me over $700 dollars.. which meant we didn't have to shorten our vacation.
We still got 6 nights at AKL and 6 at WL. I hope next year I can do the whole time at AKL.... but if the price is too high.. I'd be happy to spend some time at the Radisson if it's as good as it was this year!

Good visit this time. I hope others experience the same!
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Anc96 said:
Well the name has now changed to the Radisson Resort Celebration. I'm not sure why, whether it changed hands or what.
I wonder if it's because of all the bad press about the kid almost dying in the hot tub there a couple weeks ago? :confused3

From local news 7/21/06:
A 14-year-old who was sucked to the bottom of a hotel hot tub and kept under water for at least seven minutes was likely saved by air his father breathed into his mouth during the ordeal.

Aljuwon Pipkin, who was visiting Walt Disney World from New Jersey, became stuck at the bottom of the hot tub last Thursday at the Radisson Parkway Hotel.
Officials said a grate at the bottom of the tub apparently broke and created a strong suction that pulled the teen underwater.

Pipkin's father was at the pool and noticed his son stuck at the bottom of the hot tub.

"I get chills now even speaking about it," father Sharif Pipkin said. "I was truly a traumatic moment. I figured he was at the bottom and they just couldn't pull him up and then he didn't come up. And, I pulled again and he didn't come up. I began to holler for help from people."

As people jumped in to pull the teen from the bottom of the tub, Pipkin's father jumped in and began to breathe air into his son's mouth, the report said.

"(Aljuwon Pipkin) doesn't remember the frantic help from hotel guests and doesn't remember his father breathing into his mouth underwater," Local 6 reporter Jessica Sanchez said.

Pipkin was transported to Florida Hospital South in critical condition and initial scans of his brain were abnormal. Doctors feared he suffered brain damage.

However, seven days after the near drowning, Pipkin was given the OK to leave the hospital. He was diagnosed as being healthy with no permanent damage from the incident.

"The fact that he woke up at all is being considered a miracle," Sanchez said.

"I just remember going down to the pool and then waking up in the hospital," Pipkin said. "I can appreciate life more," Aljuwon Pipkin said. "It makes you want to work harder for things."

Pipkin's family said they do not blame the Radisson Hotel and said they believe what happened was an accident, the report said.

Seahunt said:
I wonder if it's because of all the bad press about the kid almost dying in the hot tub there a couple weeks ago? :confused3

From local news 7/21/06:
A 14-year-old who was sucked to the bottom of a hotel hot tub and kept under water for at least seven minutes was likely saved by air his father breathed into his mouth during the ordeal.

Aljuwon Pipkin, who was visiting Walt Disney World from New Jersey, became stuck at the bottom of the hot tub last Thursday at the Radisson Parkway Hotel.
Officials said a grate at the bottom of the tub apparently broke and created a strong suction that pulled the teen underwater.

Pipkin's father was at the pool and noticed his son stuck at the bottom of the hot tub.

"I get chills now even speaking about it," father Sharif Pipkin said. "I was truly a traumatic moment. I figured he was at the bottom and they just couldn't pull him up and then he didn't come up. And, I pulled again and he didn't come up. I began to holler for help from people."

As people jumped in to pull the teen from the bottom of the tub, Pipkin's father jumped in and began to breathe air into his son's mouth, the report said.

"(Aljuwon Pipkin) doesn't remember the frantic help from hotel guests and doesn't remember his father breathing into his mouth underwater," Local 6 reporter Jessica Sanchez said.

Pipkin was transported to Florida Hospital South in critical condition and initial scans of his brain were abnormal. Doctors feared he suffered brain damage.

However, seven days after the near drowning, Pipkin was given the OK to leave the hospital. He was diagnosed as being healthy with no permanent damage from the incident.

"The fact that he woke up at all is being considered a miracle," Sanchez said.

"I just remember going down to the pool and then waking up in the hospital," Pipkin said. "I can appreciate life more," Aljuwon Pipkin said. "It makes you want to work harder for things."

Pipkin's family said they do not blame the Radisson Hotel and said they believe what happened was an accident, the report said.

Wow.. that's terrible. I'm glad the boy was ok!

I booked our room at the Radisson before that happened so that's not the reason for the name change. I think it's been changed for quite a while now.. probably due to the opening of the entrance to Celebration directly across the road from them. Maybe they wanted to be associated with that name too.

How odd what happened. Hot tubs blow water out don't they? I wonder how it was sucking him in... that poor father... what he must have felt while his son was under water. And I guess it's a blessing the boy doesn't remember anything.

I think many of you are mistaking the Parkway Radisson and the Radisson Resort Parkway. Which is the true reason they changed the name- to distinguish the barely 2 star 'hotel' from the Resort. Having stayed at both- and they are pretty close to each other and Disney!- the Parkway is horrible. Last time I was there it was booked thru Dh's golf trip. Horrible. The day I met him there (one night before we moved to POR) there was a huge TATOO convention going on. I had to walk thru a pretty scary group of 'inked' men to meet DH.

The other Radisson is a resort but very nice. A good bargain for the price and location. Hope this helps.

We were actually quite happy with our stay. We paid I think $60 a night for 5 nights. The rooms were quiet and clean and our air conditioning worked great. We had a decent view of the pool. I will say that the staff doesn't go out of their way for you, but we were never treated rudely, etc. It was like any normal hotel we've ever stayed at. Our stay included breakfast at Mandolin's every morning which was really great. The breakfast was better than expected but nothing spectacular. It was food and it was food that I didn't have to buy every morning. The pools were clean but on the cold side for me - I grew up with an inground pool that was kept at about 83 degrees constantly. That's how I like my pool water. The hotel is currently doing a bit of renovating including replacing windows in all the buildings. So there were several buildings that were being worked on.

I don't know if I'll ever stay off property again (for convenience reasons) but our stay wasn't bad at all especially for the price.

We quite fancy the look of the Radisson Resort Celebration. The initial posts here concerned me a bit but it does look like the more recent are alot better.

We are going to be vacationing 24th april to 8th may 2007. My first question is with regards to the prices - the numbers I have seen in this thread are alot lower than I am managing to find. Is that simply because of the different times of year?

Then to the 'convenience' factor. We want to be quite close to Disney and in fact really want to be able to take shuttles in and out of the theme parks (which also can save a bit on parking). Did anyone use the shuttle service? Is it good? How frequent? How is it located for general 'getting about'? Is it easy enough to get to I-drive, Universal etc. (keep in mind I have never driven an automatic and never driven on the right hand side of the road!).

Do you think there are any other, better options out there?

Thanks

Well i have not stayed there yet, but i did get a comped room because they charged me ahead a time and then they double charged me at that, So i got refunded and a free room, we will see how it goes.

Hi.. have you tried the link through mousesavers.com ? It's usually a discounted price. I did enjoy our stay at the resort, but I wouldn't have paid the rack rate for it.

I always rent a car so I couldn't tell you about the shuttles. But I can tell you it's literally minutes from Disney World.. and not at all hard to get to Sea World and Universal. The highway is only down the road about 1/4 mi. Very easy.

It's much easier to adjust FROM a standard to an automatic than visa versa.. so don't worry about that. I can't advise you on the right-hand road thing though..lol. Only if you see a car coming at you... scoot over quick!

There might be better options.. but, this radisson is a pretty good one I think. If you can get lower than their rack rates.

Good Luck!

talksalot81 said:
We quite fancy the look of the Radisson Resort Celebration. The initial posts here concerned me a bit but it does look like the more recent are alot better.

We are going to be vacationing 24th april to 8th may 2007. My first question is with regards to the prices - the numbers I have seen in this thread are alot lower than I am managing to find. Is that simply because of the different times of year?

Then to the 'convenience' factor. We want to be quite close to Disney and in fact really want to be able to take shuttles in and out of the theme parks (which also can save a bit on parking). Did anyone use the shuttle service? Is it good? How frequent? How is it located for general 'getting about'? Is it easy enough to get to I-drive, Universal etc. (keep in mind I have never driven an automatic and never driven on the right hand side of the road!).

Do you think there are any other, better options out there?

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter