Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Good Morning, so glad everyone here has weathered the storm. It’s been beautiful the last couple of days, lots of sun In my area.
Yesterday I baked chocolate chip cookies ( Kris’s favorite). He always says mine are the best. I just use the recipe on the bag, so I think it’s just ”manipulation “ 😂🥰. He figures I‘ll bake more with compliments, he is right!

I am looking for a very moist, chewy Snickerdoodle recipe. I love the ones at Noodles. Anyone have a good recipe? I am going to bake banana bread in a few minutes. We will be freezing it and taking it on our trip. I‘m sure we will have all kinds of baked goods, since we are traveling with my two sisters and their husbands. We sure like our sweets especially homemade.

Have a good day everyone
I can't help with the snickerdoodle recipe, but I like to make oatmeal cookies (from the Quacker package), but no raisins, no white sugar (only dark brown), and add cinnamon chips...so chewy...

When I do my cc cookies, I use more brown sugar than white. I like the flavor better.

Mmmm, cookies...

Happy Friday and last day of September from me as well.

Big hugs and continuing prayers for all in the storm's path or dealing with another storm of life. Safety and love. Reminder in all, God is our Refuge! Dad is at laundromat followed by Ralph's--typical Friday morning. Extremely thankful to God also to have heard from Steve and Ruth. Thank you all for keeping them in your prayers. I was also grateful to have gotten to talk with Terri and briefly Barbara Ann yesterday. I am planning to see Terri when she is out here on Tuesday. That is always a blessing. Waiting today for a few packages to come.

🕊️❤️to all. I shall check back later!

I just saw an article about Sanibel
https://www.aol.com/news/sanibel-florida-city-official-says-150101433.html

We've had six weeks of calm but as the storm hit Florida this week, DD's ex is back up to his old tricks as of yesterday. He is trying to cause stress on DD's part but not succeeding much. Yesterday as she was leaving the subdivision where her school is at, she saw her ex and his wife driving in heading towards her school. She doesn't think that they saw her. Then she begins getting texts about how he went up the the school and has concerns about the school in regards to Lil Joe. He tried to make her think that he had been in the school but it didn't work. Even if he went up to the door, no one would let him in without an appointment. She confirmed that he wasn't there this morning with the office staff. He's been telling the kids during Facetime that he and wife are looking at houses locally. We heard that story a year and a half ago, he ended up in South Carolina. Then, this morning her attorney contacts her. Says that ex's attorney says that ex is flying in today and wants to know where at the airport they need to meet to get the kids for the weekend. Ha! He is busted for lying to his attorney, ex is already in town and he drove from SC, did not fly. DD's attorney gets the privilege of telling ex's attorney that ex has lied to him. I'd love to hear that conversation.

Good afternoon.

Finally caught up reading here.

So far today we had a third person to come look at our drywall that needs repair. Hopefully this one will come back. Not sure why this is so hard.

Justin (SIL) has his birthday today. We are celebrating tomorrow so I baked a cake today and will frost later. Wrapped his gift and went out for a couple things at the store and to go to the ATM.

Last night we took Jack’s sister to Longwood for the fountain show. She had never seen it and really enjoyed it. Went out to dinner first. She doesn’t go out as much since her husband passed away last year. I think she likes getting out with us.

Heard from our rental owners in Sanibel, and after watching all the coverage, no surprise that they are closed indefinitely. Looking to go somewhere else. First thought of Edisto Island or Kiawah Island but both are in the path of Ian also. Now looking at Destin, Florida area. Anyone been there? Our criteria are beach view, warm enough to swim, and bike trails. 30A seems to have it all.

I buy the ones that rip apart and yell at everyone if they take more than a half unnecessarily
I get them also and use 1/4 or 1/2 sheets often. Jack uses as much as he wants but I can’t really tell him not to.

Other than being really tired yesterday I just feel like I have my normal head cold, a little stuffy with a mild cough.
Sounds like we we had it. The cold passed but we were both tired for a while. PCP said that was common.

Those of you that are on medicare, how did you find the supplemental insurance
I‘ll be the odd one. I have had Medicare also since 2018 but don’t have any supplemental coverage. DH and I had private pay insurance for so long this coverage is so much more. And we always had free eye care and not many medications.

SW FL is really going to struggle for the next few months.
I think it might be years for Sanibel.

The nerve of it to curve itself into the Gulf, do such terrible damage and then cross over Florida like a giant bully heading for more vulnerable areas such as Ga, SC, NC, meanwhile swatting and ransacking all the way.
And why we aren’t looking to go there.

Re the cookie discussion. I always made the Toll House cookies off the chocolate chip bag until Sarah started making brown butter chocolate chip cookies which are sooooo good.

Last edited:
B&B Glad you got through the hurricane with little damage. My heart goes out to those in SW Florida.

@dazedx3 Your cookies sound so good and banana bread too. They smell so nice while baking. Sweets are really nice to have when on vacation.

@Kirby Your DD's Ex is really a shady guy. I hope ex's attorney takes this seriously and has a come to Jesus talk with the Ex. This behavior only hurts the kids.

Cool here today but nice and sunny. I worked this morning, went grocery shopping after work. Wow! Have prices gone up since last week or the last time I bought certain items. Avocado cups went up at least 10%. Yogurt, popcorn, and paper goods were noticeably higher. How do people with families and those living paycheck to paycheck do it? We really need some help with getting this under control. I didn't even buy meat or everything on my list and I spent over $80. I did buy coffee while it was on sale so I did stock up a bit but still too much $ for what I brought home.

I am trying to keep busy to keep my mind occupied. I vacuumed, washed the wood floors, and paid bills. I will take another walk in a bit. then clean the shower. The evening is really hard. This weekend Kenny works and Jeff and family have birthday parties. So, I will be by myself. I am trying to plan some shopping for the grandkids for clothes for Christmas, look in a wine store nearby to see if there is anything interesting (for my one glass of wine a week), clean the bathrooms, clean the kitchen, and maybe splurge with an ice cream at some point. I keep waiting for things to feel better but not yet. I see the therapist on Tuesday. She is helpful but unfortunately she does not have a magic wand to take away the grief, heartbreak, and loneliness. It would be nice if she did!

It was nice to see the grandkids yesterday and have dinner with them. The little one asked me if I like pasta and meatballs. I do and they were delicious. She cleaned her plate twice! I brought them some swiss rolls for dessert. We played games and had a nice time. When I left they kept coming up and hugging me even as I was going out the door. They are so sweet. Baby Sam was full of smiles. They showed me their magic bands and are so excited for the trip.

Have a nice rest of the day.

Anyone have a good recipe?
https://thefoodcharlatan.com/wprm_print/31261

I didn't do the second dipping after baking in the cinnamon/sugar and they were still cinnamon/sugary enough for us.

I came back to the thread sick and unfortunately have got worse....not covid but something. Since I'm out of town with DH, I was waiting until we got home today to go to Urgent Care but something came up and we're staying an extra night so I'm going to research an Urgent Care around here because last night was uncomfortable.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

@AuntieMe3 --Feel better soon!

Its cloudy, rain is moving in. Temp is 61, so feels like Fall. SIL and niece just took me for a little shopping trip. We went out to PA to 2 different stores. And a farm stand., where hey wouldn't let me pay for anything. I got a half dozen corn, a watermelon, and the gourd I have attached a pic of below (looked too much like Quacker family mascot not to get!)
Got a can of crab meat , some reese's big peanut butter cups for Don (Mr L), 2 jars of Miracle Whip (1.99 a jar, try finding that price in Walmart!). Got myself a bag of sour patch kids, and a quart of Lobster Bisque (4.99 in Walmart, I paid $2.29 in this store)
Dinner is going to be shrimp alfredo, since I already defrosted the shrimp. Niece wanted to bake me a cake, but I had bought a small Black Forest one at Walmart the other day, so we aren't tempted to eat more than we should be! Then she wanted to stop at the local bakery and get me fresh turnovers, but I talked her out of that too, lol

Waiting for the floor guy, should be here in about 45 minutes
Have a nice rest of the afternoon all

20220930_152103.jpg

Floor guy just left..he was here 1 1/2 hours. He went in the cellar and took pictures of the underside of the floor,,asked if he could take 2 pieces of the extra flooring in case they asked for them. Asked me what I use to wash the floor. Took pictures of all the spots on the floor. Used some fancy level to check the floor (pretty level for a 50+ year old house). He checked under the trim on the edges with another special tool to check the temperature of the floor. He said there is something definitely wrong with the floor, but he only does inspections. He actually came from Martinsburg, which is 1 1/2 hours from here. Very nice guy.

Good to see some extra posts! :)

Please take care and feel better, AuntieMe3:grouphug:. I'm so sorry you are under the weather once again :(

:hug:Kirby and I am very grateful your daughter is standing strong as well she should! Of course, how rotten it is that her Ex is intentionally trying to create trouble. Breaks my heart whenever anyone, let alone, a parent sets out to harm their child in any way.

Good to see you, Carol:hug: Yay for some happy celebrations. 🙏to you and all who have FL rentals or upcoming trips!

🙏:grouphug:always Snowysmom. I am so very thankful you have a loving family, all the more each day, especially as your trip approaches. I absolutely pray as well about both prices for both in store and online. Ridiculous and so wrong all-around.

So sweet your niece wanted to bake you a cake, Lynn! Please do enjoy a birthday :cake:treat and as I PM-ed you a vacation from housework!

Today has been a package filled one. Waiting for one last delivery from Amazon. Dad was able to add some Christmas songs to the computer from a library CD for me. I just ordered a few extra CD's including by Chris Tomlin who I really like a lot for library pick up. Cookie-wise, we make tollhouse pretty much as on the package minus any nuts that may be listed, and I prefer to use milk chocolate chips to semi sweet. Our sugar/chocolate-chip recipe as a tasty reminder to all of you to try. It is easier and quicker than the tollhouse. Let me know how you enjoy should you bake these. Dad and I sure like them :)

Sugar Cookie Half Recipe (Makes about 2 Dozen Cookies--more like 30)

Ingredients

1 Stick of Butter softened
2/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Egg
1 ¼ tsp Vanilla
1 ¼ Cup Flour
¼ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
½ Cup of Nestle Tollhouse Milk Chocolate Chips

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Add in egg and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
Next, add in the baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined.

Gradually add flour mixing as you go. Make sure to scrape the side of the bowl every once in a while.

Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and roll into granulated sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on baking sheet

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes.

Sugar Cookie Full Recipe (Makes About 48 Cookies--I would guess this makes 50+ cookies)

Ingredients

1 Cup of Butter softened
1 1/3 Cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Cup of Nestle Tollhouse Milk Chocolate Chips

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Add in egg and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
Add in the baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined.

Gradually add flour mixing as you go. Make sure to scrape the side of the bowl every once in a while.

Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and roll into granulated sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on baking sheet

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes.

Have a good night, friends. Extra prayers for all in or with family or friends in Florida.

Good morning!

Nothing new except it drizzled overnight.

Have to go pick up a prescription plus other running around.

Enjoyed dinner last night - a German style meal from Costco with very tender meat, and red cabbage mixed with apple plus spaetzle. It was good but on the 'sweet' side. Best part was heat up and serve. There are leftovers. Meal cost $27.65 total. Friday night is normally takeout night for DD and she would have spent more. This is actually a savings over a delivered pizza or something else. (At least in our pricey area.)

DD just texted that the ship is 'moving' a lot. I said it will get calmer as they go through today as they move further south and the storm dissipates to the north.

Thems the perils of sailing near a storm. Of course they are safe. Ships put to sea to avoid being in port during bad weather.

Good morning all-HAPPY OCTOBER!

@PollyannaMom Thank you so much for the Quacker birthday greeting, made me smile!

Its a raw, rainy 55 degrees outside, and that will be our high for the next 2 days. We have flash flood warnings out, so Ian must be moving this way very quickly. Finally got a text from my best friend in Pensacola. They had lost power , phone service, and water, finally got power their back around 11 pm, but still have no water. She said the winds were horrendous,,there are trees down all over the place, and her husband's Sister and his niece, both lost their mobile homes in the storm. Her mother also lives there, but they brought her to their house so she would be safer. Their house sustained no damage, but that there are others in her area who weren't so lucky. Prayers said for all of them. I was relieved when I got her text last night for sure!

Only chore on my to do list is strip and remake the bed. It's my choice for dinner tonite, so I am making St Louis style ribs, baked potato, and fresh corn. Will have the small Black Forest Cake I picked up for dessert.

Tracking shows that the tv stand is out for delivery, so at least we will be able to take the tv out of the box tomorrow and try to set it up.

Have a nice morning everyone, stay safe!

OIP (1).jpg

Happy Birthday Lynn!:bday:

Looks like a nor'easter here. Very windy.

Needs to go to church this morning to get ready for communion tomorrow. Then meeting Sarah (DD) for pedicures. It is for Mother's Day but got postpones when she had COVID on the second date we picked. Then this evening dinner and cake with them for Justin's birthday.

Good morning, everyone.

Happy Birthday Lynn.

Not much going on here beyond my isolation. I feel better. No fever for 48 hours not that I had much of a fever, it never went over 100.1. I do still have lingering congestion and a slight cough but the last 2 days I almost slept through the night without the cough or congestion waking me up. My husband kindly mentioned I was snoring louder than the dog one night. I have a Pug mix and for a little dog she can snore loud enough to wake the dead. I don't plan on testing again Monday or Tuesday. I only have 3 tests left and I need to keep 2 for Jim just in case. I know I can get 8 per month for each of us free with Medicare but I can't find the link to order them.

I may make Zucchini Bread today or tomorrow while Jim watches football. I have about 4 or 5 decent size zucchinis I have to use before they go bad, and the weather is perfect for them. Of course, most will have nuts AND chocolate chips in them because that's the way I like to make them. My son likes the zucchini bread but doesn't like one of those choices and I can never remember which one. He may have to get one as made and deal with it.

Did anybody watch Hocus Pocus 2 yesterday? I got Disney+ just for that and I was quite happy I did. The movie was a little different than I expected, but I enjoyed it.

Two weeks from today I will be in Disney World, and I am looking forward to getting away. I may over obsess a bit because I am working on my lists. I have them for what to pack, what foods I want to sample in Food and Wine, pictures I want to focus on, plans for each day, what I don't want to miss, that type of thing. It just helps give me some direction since I am solo and can do some things without others bothering me. I also like to look for new angles for pictures. My daughter always asks how me how I can enjoy the trip when I am so OCD. I told her I have the lists; I look at them to remember certain details and then I go off. It works for me.

I did get another donation for the Tea at church, and I want to win this one. Longwood Gardens donated 2 tickets. I sent a request on a whim and was shocked they replied so quickly. Hopefully Monday will get us out and delivering letters since it's the beginning of a quarter and I have learned that donations go by quarters. Jim and I have a system. I drive and he delivers. I don't like asking people I don't know, and he is the real people person, so it works well. It also makes him feel good that he can help. Since he had his strokes that has been a struggle for him, feeling useless.

Hope everyone is staying well and if you are in the path of the remnants of Ian like I am, staying dry. Have a great Saturday.

Good morning, everyone.

Happy Birthday Lynn.

Thank you!
Not much going on here beyond my isolation. I feel better. No fever for 48 hours not that I had much of a fever, it never went over 100.1. I do still have lingering congestion and a slight cough but the last 2 days I almost slept through the night without the cough or congestion waking me up. My husband kindly mentioned I was snoring louder than the dog one night. I have a Pug mix and for a little dog she can snore loud enough to wake the dead. I don't plan on testing again Monday or Tuesday. I only have 3 tests left and I need to keep 2 for Jim just in case. I know I can get 8 per month for each of us free with Medicare but I can't find the link to order them.

Here is a link to the page, but it also states that "This initiative is in effect as long as the federal government determines a Public Health Emergency (PHE) exists. The COVID-19 PHE began on January 27, 2020, and has been renewed every 90 days, the latest effective April 16, 2022." so I have no idea if it's still in effect or not. You can't 'order' them per say. It says you have to go to a participating pharmacy to get them.
I may make Zucchini Bread today or tomorrow while Jim watches football. I have about 4 or 5 decent size zucchinis I have to use before they go bad, and the weather is perfect for them. Of course, most will have nuts AND chocolate chips in them because that's the way I like to make them. My son likes the zucchini bread but doesn't like one of those choices and I can never remember which one. He may have to get one as made and deal with it.

Did anybody watch Hocus Pocus 2 yesterday? I got Disney+ just for that and I was quite happy I did. The movie was a little different than I expected, but I enjoyed it.

Two weeks from today I will be in Disney World, and I am looking forward to getting away. I may over obsess a bit because I am working on my lists. I have them for what to pack, what foods I want to sample in Food and Wine, pictures I want to focus on, plans for each day, what I don't want to miss, that type of thing. It just helps give me some direction since I am solo and can do some things without others bothering me. I also like to look for new angles for pictures. My daughter always asks how me how I can enjoy the trip when I am so OCD. I told her I have the lists; I look at them to remember certain details and then I go off. It works for me.
Color me jealous, jealous, jealous--I hope you have a good trip and a wonderful time! Obsess all you want, that's what the DIS boards are for!
I did get another donation for the Tea at church, and I want to win this one. Longwood Gardens donated 2 tickets. I sent a request on a whim and was shocked they replied so quickly. Hopefully Monday will get us out and delivering letters since it's the beginning of a quarter and I have learned that donations go by quarters. Jim and I have a system. I drive and he delivers. I don't like asking people I don't know, and he is the real people person, so it works well. It also makes him feel good that he can help. Since he had his strokes that has been a struggle for him, feeling useless.
Totally understandable
Hope everyone is staying well and if you are in the path of the remnants of Ian like I am, staying dry. Have a great Saturday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter