Pride month at Disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that information. I looked up the Latin word for "on this side" which led me to look up the word cisgender. It appears that this word was first used in 1994 and first appeared in the dictionary in 2015. So, in 1994 I was very busy with my family and full-time job and had no interest or reason to know about this new term being used to refer to a heterosexual person. Since this is a relatively new term it's no wonder I and probably many others are not familiar with it. I was perfectly happy with heterosexual; I don't need or want a new term to label my sexuality.

cis·gen·der
[sisˈjendər]

ADJECTIVE
  1. denoting or relating to a person whose gender identity corresponds with the sex registered for them at birth; not transgender.
I had someone on these boards tell me since I was a cis, white, female. I was safer…hmm I had no idea what they meant…now I do. I still don’t get the “safer” part. I had never heard the term either.

I had someone on these boards tell me since I was a cis, white, female. I was safer…hmm I had no idea what they meant…now I do. I still don’t get the “safer” part. I had never heard the term either.
Statistically, you are less likely to be killed because of your gender identity than a non cis woman, particularly a non cis woman of color

Thanks for that information. I looked up the Latin word for "on this side" which led me to look up the word cisgender. It appears that this word was first used in 1994 and first appeared in the dictionary in 2015. So, in 1994 I was very busy with my family and full-time job and had no interest or reason to know about this new term being used to refer to a heterosexual person. Since this is a relatively new term it's no wonder I and probably many others are not familiar with it. I was perfectly happy with heterosexual; I don't need or want a new term to label my sexuality.

cis·gen·der
[sisˈjendər]

ADJECTIVE
  1. denoting or relating to a person whose gender identity corresponds with the sex registered for them at birth; not transgender.
Homosexual and transgender are not the same thing.

Language evolves all the time. So can people.

New terms come in to being.

Many terms we used to use we don't anymore.

I agree that the involvement of raising a family can put us out of the loop.

Our oldest of 4 was born in 1994; youngest graduated high school in 2020. That was a long time. I am still learning and catching up.

And grateful that many of my best lessons have come from listening to my children and their view of the world. I hope that I'll continue to learn as long as I'm alive.

Language evolves all the time. So can people.

New terms come in to being.

Many terms we used to use we don't anymore.

I agree that the involvement of raising a family can put us out of the loop.

Our oldest of 4 was born in 1994; youngest graduated high school in 2020. That was a long time. I am still learning and catching up.

And grateful that many of my best lessons have come from listening to my children and their view of the world. I hope that I'll continue to learn as long as I'm alive.
My oldest was born in 1996, #4 and #5 in 2023, pretty busy with the kids, I’m probably more on top of these issues because I have kids. I know dd26’s friend prefers they as a pronoun because my daughter told me. If I have questions all of my kids school me on what is now considered appropriate, and what is not.

Since this is a relatively new term it's no wonder I and probably many others are not familiar with it. I was perfectly happy with heterosexual; I don't need or want a new term to label my sexuality.
Gender and sexuality are different (but somewhat related) concepts. Some people are transgender and heterosexual, some are cisgender and homosexual, and some are some other combination of those or other genders and sexualities. "Cisgender" and "heterosexual" do not describe the same thing.

My oldest was born in 1996, #4 and #5 in 2023, pretty busy with the kids, I’m probably more on top of these issues because I have kids. I know dd26’s friend prefers they as a pronoun because my daughter told me. If I have questions all of my kids school me on what is now considered appropriate, and what is not.

Yep, me too.

I don't like the term and will not relate to it. I'm heterosexual not cis thank you very much. It is my right to use the established term and not bow to mob pressure or new age terms. Not doing it.
When in history were heterosexuals abused for being heterosexuals? I bet you want white male month too.

That sounds like a great idea!!!

Homosexual and transgender are not the same thing.

Who said it was?

Gender and sexuality are different (but somewhat related) concepts. Some people are transgender and heterosexual, some are cisgender and homosexual, and some are some other combination of those or other genders and sexualities. "Cisgender" and "heterosexual" do not describe the same thing.

This way too complicated for me.

And because of the stigma of not being heterosexual, many differences of how people see themselves were kept in the closet.

It's only been recently accepted to talk about it. Hence, the reason for 'all of a sudden they're changing things'.

And that's why to some it's suddenly difficult learn from or talk about.

I don't like the term and will not relate to it. I'm heterosexual not cis thank you very much. It is my right to use the established term and not bow to mob pressure or new age terms. Not doing it.

All that the others were trying to explain is that cisgender simply means that you are, in your case a female. A cis female may also be gay. It's not a trick. These are just definitions.

And because of the stigma of not being heterosexual, many differences of how people see themselves were kept in the closet.

It's only been recently accepted to talk about it. Hence, the reason for 'all of a sudden they're changing things'.

And that's why to some it's suddenly difficult learn from or talk about.

Well, you've landed on the crux of it. *All* of these types of people always existed, it's just that they are more comfortable coming out and joining society as the people they are and not being made to hide who they are anymore. This is very, very hard for some people. And these people believe that these folks are subversive....perverted.....and grooming children. And all of that is the sick part.

I watched the first two episodes of Shiny Happy People about the insanely twisted sect of the Southern Baptist church that the Duggar's belong to.....and we all know that they know a bit about grooming children, within their own family. It was like yesterday that they were held up as a standard of purity and a lovely family.

Younger millennials and Gen Z are the ones that will hopefully turn things around. I mean, at least we can hope for that. They're just so unfazed by it, which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter