Pride month at Disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always taught and taught my children that all live are precious and matter. I never knew until now that that is wrong.
In what ways did you go about teaching them this? I mean specifically. How did you let them know that all life is precious. In what ways did you teach them that the lives of Black people, Jewish people, Muslim people, Asian people, white people, Gay people, trans people, disabled people, etc matter. How did you make sure that when you told them that all lives are precious and matter that they weren't assuming you meant white, heterosexual, cisgender Christian, straight, able-bodied people. Did you specifically let your children know that they would still matter to you; that they would still be precious to you if they were gay?

In what ways did you go about teaching them this? I mean specifically. How did you let them know that all life is precious. In what ways did you teach them that the lives of Black people, Jewish people, Muslim people, Asian people, white people, Gay people, trans people, disabled people, etc matter. How did you make sure that when you told them that all lives are precious and matter that they weren't assuming you meant white, heterosexual, cisgender Christian, straight, able-bodied people. Did you specifically let your children know that they would still matter to you; that they would still be precious to you if they were gay?
Yes, this is how we raise DD11. She knows there is a wide world of diversity and specifically is taught to be kind to all people. Even if there are things we don't agree with or support. To be the kid that helps the less fortunate, sit with the bullied child, embrace differences, understand why things are so divisive, etc.

She knows we will love her no matter what and we are her go-to people when things arise. It doesn't change that you can have a opinion on hot topics and still teach your beliefs.

Has someone ever criticized you for being in a heterosexual relationship? At Disney World? Disneyland? Did a cast member or attraction do something to make you feel that heterosexual love isn't welcome?

I personally got married at Disney World to a cisgender man, and I'm a cisgender woman. I never felt in anyway that our heterosexual love was forbidden or unwelcome. Since then, we've gone to Disney World for the last 20+ years and I never felt any hostility from Disney. Not from cast members, not from other guests, not from Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck.

I'm wondering what has happened to you at Disney to make you feel your heterosexual love is under threat in some way.
I think you misinterpreted something. I never said anything regarding hostility.

It would be quite detailed to get into this completely. But yes. They know they would be loved no matter what. They were quite exposed. We had them visit old folks homes often. In middle school they spent a month in the Andes mountains working in an orphanage. They have traveled around the world. In fact one is in Turkey now, another in Spain. They studied world religions. Went to services in Christian and non Christian places of worship. They were exposed to all types. They were taught unborn life is precious as well. And those on death row. The visited prisons.

I really don’t think that your questions to me were genuine. I would say they were meant to be little. But I gave a brief reply.

What the heck!? I mean you weren’t responding to a post of mine but…..wow. Like most normal human beings, you teach your kids that all life is precious by literally being a good person and kind to others no matter who they are. I can’t even imagine having to point out every person and Describe their ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation (as if I would even know those things automatically) and tell my kid that oh yeah and that person is worthy of life and happiness. I might think that having a whole pride month is kind of silly but I also think pouring some kind of dye in a body of water to turn it green is gross and having Halloween decorations in August is super odd. How do any of those things mean that all life isn‘t precious and worthy? Good grief.

I was always taught and taught my children that all live are precious and matter. I never knew until now that that is wrong.
I’ve always taught my children that they don’t need to change their values or convictions. They just need to be tolerant and respectful.
All lives do matter who would have thought that was wrong.

I’ve always taught my children that they don’t need to change their values or convictions. They just need to be tolerant and respectful.
All lives do matter who would have thought that was wrong.
If your child was bullied and told by their peers that they were trash, unworthy, ugly, should have never been born...and they cried to you. "My life matters" would you hug them and say "Yes, of course it does! Your life matters so much!" Or would you say. "Honey. ALL lives matter"?

Would you truly believe that when your child cries out, "My life matters" that she is implying all other lives do not matter?

If your child was bullied and told by their peers that they were trash, unworthy, ugly, should have never been born...and they cried to you. "My life matters" would you hug them and say "Yes, of course it does! Your life matters so much!" Or would you say. "Honey. ALL lives matter"?

Would you truly believe that when your child cries out, "My life matters" that she is implying all other lives do not matter?
I don’t see how that relates to anything I just said.

I’ve always taught my children that they don’t need to change their values or convictions.
I hope (assume?) you also taught them that they CAN change their values or convictions as they learn more about the world.

My thoughts and beliefs have definitely changed over the last <mumble mumble mumble> years of my life.

Where is the harm in Disney (or any company) "embracing" (sorry, can't think of a better word) diversity? Whether that's relating to race, religion, sexuality, gender, or whatever? I mean who cares that Target is selling Pride merchandise? Who cares that Disney put up decorations or seeing merchandise? I mean, fine, if you don't think it's for you, don't buy it. But why do you (general) get to decide NO ONE should be allowed to buy it?

You don't want your kid to read a book or watch a movie? Fine. I don't understand it, but whatever. Why does that mean no one else should be able to watch?

And don't tell me "that's not what people are doing." BS.

I’m genuinely curious. I noticed you chose to capitalize all of the ethnicities you listed, but not all of the races, gender identities and sexual preferences. How did you decide which to capitalize and which to not?

For example:
You capitalized “Black people” but chose not to capitalize “white people”. Is “Black” a race as well as an ethnicity in the context you were using it?

Also, you capitalized “Gay” and further down you used lowercase for “straight”.

Lastly, in the part I bolded, you used both “heterosexual” and “straight”. Could it be said that using both terms in the same sentence is redundant? If yes, was this redundancy intentional or inadvertent?

Again, not criticizing. Nor am I trying to play the role of the grammar police. Just genuinely curious if any of this was intentional. And if so, what would be the distinction between some of the comparisons I mentioned that would justify capitalizing one but not the other? Thank you.

It has become common practice/standard to capitalize Black when referring to the race.

It’s sad that a thread originally meant to simply discuss Pride merchandise has become a debate about LGBTQ people. Which is exactly why we still need Pride.
You didn’t quote my post, but I’m assuming you are responding to me. Thank you for the reply.

To your first point. That’s wonderful, but I think you may have misunderstood the question. I was asking why would one race be capitalized and not all races be capitalized. Assuming, of course, that the previous poster’s typing was as they intended it to be. It has been mentioned numerous times, by numerous people in this thread, that language evolves and we should be expected keep up with those evolutions. I’m trying to keep up. So I ask again, which races should be capitalized and which should not be? Trying to learn.

To your second point, was this also directed at my previous post? If yes, which part of my previous post do you think is a debate about the LGBTQIA2S+ community?

I’m genuinely curious. I noticed you chose to capitalize all of the ethnicities you listed, but not all of the races, gender identities and sexual preferences. How did you decide which to capitalize and which to not?

For example:
You capitalized “Black people” but chose not to capitalize “white people”. Is “Black” a race as well as an ethnicity in the context you were using it?

Also, you capitalized “Gay” and further down you used lowercase for “straight”.

Lastly, in the part I bolded, you used both “heterosexual” and “straight”. Could it be said that using both terms in the same sentence is redundant? If yes, was this redundancy intentional or inadvertent?

Again, not criticizing. Nor am I trying to play the role of the grammar police. Just genuinely curious if any of this was intentional. And if so, what would be the distinction between some of the comparisons I mentioned that would justify capitalizing one but not the other? Thank you.
Personally, I capitalize Black, because most/a large portion of Black people do not know their true ethnic background. Due to records being lost or never written down during slavery. So *Black* encompasses the shared background of coming from Africa, without knowing the exact location.

However, as most people know, white people are insanely interested in, and have the ability to find out, their heritage...Irish, German, Scottish, Norwegian, Italian, etc. So, I think of Black as being the heritage until I know otherwise if the Black person knows their specific country their family originated from.

Talking about a white person, I don't capitalize white because that is their skin tone identifier, not their heritage, but I would capitalize German, Irish, etc.

It's been a stupid long week and rereading this, who knows if my words make the sense they do in my brain.

Last edited:
You didn’t quote my post, but I’m assuming you are responding to me. Thank you for the reply.

To your first point. That’s wonderful, but I think you may have misunderstood the question. I was asking why would one race be capitalized and not all races be capitalized. Assuming, of course, that the previous poster’s typing was as they intended it to be. It has been mentioned numerous times, by numerous people in this thread, that language evolves and we should be expected keep up with those evolutions. I’m trying to keep up. So I ask again, which races should be capitalized and which should not be? Trying to learn.

To your second point, was this also directed at my previous post? If yes, which part of my previous post do you think is a debate about the LGBTQIA2S+ community?
Sorry, no, the second part was not directed at you!

I can’t say why Black began being capitalized, but I imagine it’s because other ethnicities are, like Asian, Pacific Islander, etc.

I hope (assume?) you also taught them that they CAN change their values or convictions as they learn more about the world.

My thoughts and beliefs have definitely changed over the last <mumble mumble mumble> years of my life.

Where is the harm in Disney (or any company) "embracing" (sorry, can't think of a better word) diversity? Whether that's relating to race, religion, sexuality, gender, or whatever? I mean who cares that Target is selling Pride merchandise? Who cares that Disney put up decorations or seeing merchandise? I mean, fine, if you don't think it's for you, don't buy it. But why do you (general) get to decide NO ONE should be allowed to buy it?

You don't want your kid to read a book or watch a movie? Fine. I don't understand it, but whatever. Why does that mean no one else should be able to watch?

And don't tell me "that's not what people are doing." BS.
Why would I need to tell them that? They have the freedom to make their own life decisions. They get a lot more pressure from people that don't share their values than they ever would from me. They are young adults now and trust me they get what's going on.

When did I ever say Disney couldn't embrace diversity? When did I say people couldn't buy merchandise? When were books or movies ever part of the conversation?

Disney can do whatever they want. Will I vacation there in June..absolutely.. not? Target can sell whatever they want I don't have to shop there. I can drink whatever beer I want. We all have choices and the freedom to patronize what businesses we want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter