Prescription Weed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has arthritis, it causes her a lot of pain and the only thing she has found that will work is half a chewable 2 a day. If she has a prescription for it from her doctor can she bring it on board?

I’m fairly certain that it is prohibited on all cruise lines.

Any advice on how to help her control her pain while on board then?

I’m tempted to say that over the counter medicine like Tylenol Arthritis, Advil, Aleve may be of some help… There is a gym (and pool) so she can go for light exercises.

I would definitely give a call to my doctor to see what is the best course of action here.

Can we bring a heating pad?
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply to bring a heating pad, but if heat helps there are other ways to use warmth without an electric heating pad. There are patches and creams, hot tubs, or someone mentioned borrowing/renting from DCL. I was just throwing out suggestions of various other therapies. While you said only weed helps, it also sounds like a fairly new condition and she may not have fully tried all the various other relief methods. What works for her may depend on whether she has osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, and the location of her pain (i.e. knees, shoulders, hands, etc.). It will be an ongoing journey with a progressive disease; willingness to try different measures early may help down the road.

It's sound advice thank you.
Right now I'm having a hard time just getting her to admit to our NP just how bad the pain actually is... but I'll keep pushing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply to bring a heating pad, but if heat helps there are other ways to use warmth without an electric heating pad. There are patches and creams, hot tubs, or someone mentioned borrowing/renting from DCL. I was just throwing out suggestions of various other therapies. While you said only weed helps, it also sounds like a fairly new condition and she may not have fully tried all the various other relief methods. What works for her may depend on whether she has osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, and the location of her pain (i.e. knees, shoulders, hands, etc.). It will be an ongoing journey with a progressive disease; willingness to try different measures early may help down the road.

I really, really recommend against trying to smuggle marijuana in any form onto a cruise ship. There are just far too many ways that you could get caught and the penalties for getting caught are severe. You'll likely be banned from DCL forever, fined a large amount of money, and possibly imprisoned. On top of that, you're putting the rest of the ship at risk if you get caught in a foreign port.

So, please, don't.

I'm not sure how anyone ever got the idea I was even thinking about smuggling anything anywhere. I asked if it was allowed with a medical prescription - I didn't ask what the best way to sneak it in is.

I really, really recommend against trying to smuggle marijuana in any form onto a cruise ship. There are just far too many ways that you could get caught and the penalties for getting caught are severe. You'll likely be banned from DCL forever, fined a large amount of money, and possibly imprisoned. On top of that, you're putting the rest of the ship at risk if you get caught in a foreign port.

So, please, don't.

I'm not sure how anyone ever got the idea I was even thinking about smuggling anything anywhere. I asked if it was allowed with a medical prescription - I didn't ask what the best way to sneak it in is.

They were responding to another poster, not you. :) I've removed that comment just now as it is against the rules on the boards.

Oh - ok, sorry. I had seen a couple of people mentioning it and didn't see the post in question, so I thought people thought I would ever be so... thinking impaired.

They were responding to another poster, not you. :) I've removed that comment just now as it is against the rules on the boards.

Not sure what kind of arthritis she's dealing with but I've had RA most of my life and am on a couple (standard) prescription meds that have helped control the inflammation so a big +1 to working with a rheumatologist and getting professional help. There really is no glory in suffering, hard as it can be to admit you need help. And again, depending on the type of arthritis, she might want to get on something that will help prevent joint damage, not just manage pain.

Besides that, I do rely pretty heavily on ibuprofen, and things like getting a massage or a hot bath/hot tub can also provide some relief. Good luck and I hope she finds something that will work!

Definitely have her talk to her doctor about alternatives for while traveling. I understand preferring to use medical marijuana over other pharmaceuticals, but this is a case where she will need to be flexible. My mom has taken meloxicam for arthritis pain, and daughter takes it for back pain. It works well and can be taken on a cruise without issue, but you have to let it build up in your system for a week or so for it to give its full effect. There are other prescriptions out there that could also work well, so with the help of her doctor, your wife should be able to find something that will help her enjoy her cruise painfree.

Another vote for Acupuncture and injections here.

One of my best friends was diagnosed with RA a 3 or so years ago. She gets steroid injections in her knee once or twice a year, iirc. Last year, she started going to a chiropractor that offers Acupuncture and has found great relief from it. She was so excited last week when she slept 9 hours without waking up for the first time in years!

We want to be careful about the ibuprofen because it can do crazy stuff to your insides.

Besides that, I do rely pretty heavily on ibuprofen, and things like getting a massage or a hot bath/hot tub can also provide some relief. Good luck and I hope she finds something that will work!

My wife has arthritis, it causes her a lot of pain and the only thing she has found that will work is half a chewable 2 a day. If she has a prescription for it from her doctor can she bring it on board?

A little off topic here - does it help your wife sleep? I have been wondering about this. TIA.

It really does actually, but you want the indica not the Sativa.

Thank you. I have been thinking of mentioning this to my primary since nothing helps me fall asleep or stay asleep. Just afraid of being addicted to anything, making me paranoid, crazy dreams, etc. etc. If I remember, I will mention it on my next visit.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Do be careful if you use edibles they kick in slowly and it's easy to overdo it if you're not careful.

Thank you. I have been thinking of mentioning this to my primary since nothing helps me fall asleep or stay asleep. Just afraid of being addicted to anything, making me paranoid, crazy dreams, etc. etc. If I remember, I will mention it on my next visit.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter