Polynesian CRUSHING Copper Creek in direct sales

Disn3yVision

*See Magic*
I just find it so entertaining that everybody complained so much about the fact that the Polynesian only had studios and Bungalows and that was the reason they wouldn't sell. Disney heard these complaints and with Copper Creek offered more room configurations than anybody could ask for.... however the sales of CCV have been dismal compared to Poly. People love to hold up VGF sales as an example of how great the resort is and how much it has pleased members, yet PVB has averaged more monthly sales than VGF in its lifetime, all while competing against VGF, AULANI, and Copper Creek at various times. Goes to show that sometimes a few loud voices on message boards don't always speak the opinions of the silent majority. Money talks, and Poly sales say a lot about what most people and DVC owners and prospective buyers want and value imo.

I just find it so entertaining that everybody complained so much about the fact that the Polynesian only had studios and Bungalows and that was the reason they wouldn't sell. Disney heard these complaints and with Copper Creek offered more room configurations than anybody could ask for.... however the sales of CCV have been dismal compared to Poly.

Seems reasonable to conclude that Poly would have been even more popular if it had offered One, Two and Three Bedroom villas.

The Poly has always been a popular destination, though I am surprised by its recent performance. Nevertheless, I don't think consumers are drawn to it in greater numbers BECAUSE it only has studios (and bungalows.)

Seems reasonable to conclude that Poly would have been even more popular if it had offered One, Two and Three Bedroom villas.

The Poly has always been a popular destination, though I am surprised by its recent performance. Nevertheless, I don't think consumers are drawn to it in greater numbers BECAUSE it only has studios (and bungalows.)

Agreed. I'm just saying everything I read on these boards for years took everything else about the resort into account, and really harped on the only studio thing hard and therefore didn't recommend it as a good buy overall. Despite the never ending connecting rooms with 2 bathrooms that sleep 5 each. Despite all Polys positives, I've read over and over that people wouldn't buy them because of the studio limitation. And I think we can all agree studios are by FAR the most popular room type within DVC. So Copper Creek did the opposite and it's not working out well so far.

I know what the OP is saying. Many posters here often say they will only stay in 1BRs or larger and think the Poly was a big mistake. But studios are usually the first room type booked at all the DVC resorts. Over the entire sales period Poly has had better monthly averages than even VGF, which everyone thinks is the best WDW DVC sales ever. Lets face it the Poly is popular. Plus it is not unusual for members to buy a minimum number of DVC points to get their family a room which often means a studio, especially since DVC added the murphy beds a studio still works for many families.

But I do think Poly's sales lagged while VGF was still selling that would be the first 3 or 4 months.

Right now, the sales pitch for Poly is BUY BEFORE WE SELL OUT! PANIC! AAAAUIGH!

And it's working.

Most of the guides are pushing Poly over CCV right now.

Poly started sales in 1/2015. So it'll have taken them just under 3 years to sell through. There are just over 4 million points at Poly. So call it 117k points/month.

To compare, VGF went on sale in 5/2013, and sold out in 4/2015. VGF was 2.5 million points. So that's ~108k/month on average.

BLT hit final declaration in 6/2011, after starting sales in 5/2008. BLT is 5.7 million points. They sold about 142.5k/month in points. (I assumed another 3 months after final declaration, which included the commercial space, aka TOTWL. Cannot find sell out date.)

I think the relative speed of both VGF and Poly, and of CCV, had a lot more to do with price per point than unit desirability.

Last edited:
Even DVD and their guides will admit that studios only was a mistake. People buy the Poly because it's a popular resort and the majority of buyers, don't Disboard and know little of the DVC before buying. They buy at the resort that DVD is pushing at the time. The few that later visit the DIS will often post that they didn't know about resale or that other resorts were available.

:earsboy: Bill

Poly sales might be doing well at the moment but they are still a lot slower than DVD planned and announced at the beginning

If they had had a better offering I think they would have sold out long ago.

Just going out on a limb, but could it also be the aesthetics of the resort that discourages people? We looked at CC and were not impressed. We were hoping for rustic, along the lines of Wilderness Lodge. Akin to northern California and PNW environments that we know and grew up with. What CC looks like is a hipster Seattle PNW attempt at rustic. It turned us off. Nothing draws us is as being "Disney" or unique.

Having 5 people in a studio sounds great when you have small children ... All adults or teenagers, not so much. No way could my family of 4 with teens would have been comfortable in a poly studio. The monorail is a great selling point for those that don't realize it's really like an above ground NYC MTA with a slightly better smell.

When even the Developer says they fixed the mistakes made at PVB with CCV having 1 and 2BR's it's probably safe to assume that yes, an all studio resort was not the way to go.

There's a whole lot more that goes into the final push of a resort. Even I got a call from DVC trying to get me to buy PVB before it sold out. Not a mention of CCV.

And they way overestimated property taxes for the CCV dues which was going to make it difficult to compare to PVB - especially when a guide will tell a buyer they'll still be able to use their PVB points to stay at resorts with 1 & 2BR's. They've also done minimums with CCV that they don't have on PVB etc. etc. That one is outselling the other does not automatically mean that it's an endorsement on design choices.

The Poly has an almost cult following, just look at the Tikiman's website and FB page (great website and FB for any info on the Poly). DVC could probably have raised the price of PVC to $185 like VGF and BLT if it had 1&2 bedrooms. 2 studios does not equal a 2 bedroom because you are missing the kitchen and laundry, which is huge benefit for a large family. DVC could have made a lot more money.

Turnoffs:

Copper Creek has the highest dues at WDW.

Studios & 1 bedrooms max of 4 at CC. Studio is 447 square feet at Poly vs 338 at CC. 1 & 2 bedrooms are the smallest at WDW except for AKV Value.

That might be a big reason why CCV is not selling well, amongst others. I can't understand the logic behind it since many studios can accommodate 5. Where else does a 1 bedroom accommodate less than 5?

LAX

That might be a big reason why CCV is not selling well, amongst others. I can't understand the logic behind it since many studios can accommodate 5. Where else does a 1 bedroom accommodate less than 5?

LAX

Because they were renovated from WL rooms, which had the smallest Deluxe rooms. BWV, BCV, BRV and SSR do not sleep 5 in a 1 bedroom. 5 is allowed but no sleeping space for the 5th.

A DVC resort that sells out after a few years of sales is pretty much the way DVC works. A few years from now, CCV will be sold out. I wouldn't get too caught up in trying to connect dots that will ultimately end up drawing the same picture we've seen for years.

Even DVD and their guides will admit that studios only was a mistake. People buy the Poly because it's a popular resort and the majority of buyers, don't Disboard and know little of the DVC before buying. They buy at the resort that DVD is pushing at the time. The few that later visit the DIS will often post that they didn't know about resale or that other resorts were available.

:earsboy: Bill
It was widely reported that the original Poly plans included a mini tower that would house different room configurations and that plan was eventually scrapped, leaving Poly in its current configuration.

Poly only has bungalows and studios because of a mistake in execution not a mistake in planning. When your plans change, you have to live with the consequences of the changes. DVC knows only studios was a mistake but they are living with the consequences of other decisions.

In any case, sales for Poly were sluggish (~75k/month) until DVC started offering incentives that brought the price down from the $170s to just under $160. Then sales boomed to something like 140k a month. It might be averaging 110k now, but that average doesn't tell the story that DVC had to offer incentives to sell Poly, something they did NOT do at VGF.

I'm a Poly owner. I think many people believe that with 360 studios, Poly will routinely be avail at 7 months for studios. I doubt it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!