Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

My guess is the DVC area gets at least a quiet pool.

AKL DVC has as nice of a pool as AKL IMO, and BLT is pretty good. Pretty hopeful at WL DVC as well. Who knows.

Okay looked at google earth to jog my memory. I still don't see Disney getting rid of Outpost and the beer garden area for this rumored entry. The logistics alone of that would be crazy. Also again due to the loading of the fireworks bridge for at least the entire morning (until about 4pm) that area is blocked by the barges. That is also where the friendship boats are stored. I just don't see even what is at international gateway fitting in the space.

Now what would seem to make sense and lockedoutlogic gave the idea would be linking to Cresent lake but my theory would be at HS not at Epcot. So yeah the water way could take you to Epcot on a very scenic long ride but the DHS route would be about the same as the other Epcot area resorts to DHS. Again it would just take a minimum of two bridges so not a cheap option either.

I do have to say I think they are going to treat the CBR DVC separate from everything else at that resort. Maybe even give it its own entrance simply because it is so different then other DVC resorts.

As someone who works in real estate development, this makes zero sense to me. The cost of building a "deluxe" resort versus a "moderate" resort wouldn't be all that different. The major expenses (labor, foundation, etc) would be the same for both and we all know Disney "deluxe" resorts aren't all that deluxe compared to industry standards. The extra theming that goes into a deluxe resort doesn't cost huge dollars.

I think if it is a DVC resort, it will be marketed as deluxe even if it sits within/next to a moderate. No reason for them to sell fewer points for something that costs about the same to build.

Unless, maybe, they forgo villas altogether and just build regular hotel rooms (~300 sf) and charge a few points less than they do for studios. That could make financial sense if they build a bunch of them.

Here's a REALLY crazy thought. Could they potentially be thinking of connecting it more easily to the STUDIOS? With the expansion of Star Wars on that side and the revamping of the entry to the Studios being done to move it to Osceola Parkway/Victory Way, perhaps they are working on ways to connect Caribbean Beach and Art of Animation. I thought there were plans to fill in wetlands between the park and those resorts (and move some to the other side of the park) The potential view of Star Wars fireworks is even better than Epcot depending on location in the resort.

An area on the other side of the current DHS entrance road is being filled to create new parking. The land between the canal around DHS and Victory way was recently released from it's conservation easement, but with the exception of the new entrance road that will cut through that land no permits have been filed for any work on that land.

As someone who works in real estate development, this makes zero sense to me. The cost of building a "deluxe" resort versus a "moderate" resort wouldn't be all that different. The major expenses (labor, foundation, etc) would be the same for both and we all know Disney "deluxe" resorts aren't all that deluxe compared to industry standards. The extra theming that goes into a deluxe resort doesn't cost huge dollars.

I think if it is a DVC resort, it will be marketed as deluxe even if it sits within/next to a moderate. No reason for them to sell fewer points for something that costs about the same to build.

Unless, maybe, they forgo villas altogether and just build regular hotel rooms (~300 sf) and charge a few points less than they do for studios. That could make financial sense if they build a bunch of them.

There can be many factors. yes the foundation and labor are the same but the details can be wildly different in cost. Bathrooms alone can get out of hand in spending when you make a "deluxe" versus "moderate". Think about the cost of Chrome vs Stainless Steel or a soaker tub with jets vs just a normal hotel tub. On top of that it is the perceived value to the guests. Guests typically will pay more for higher end finishes, nicer furniture, and more details all of which come at a higher price up front.

Ok not sure if someone brought this up but I keep seeing speculation of the "3rd entrance". Being very familiar with the back stage areas of Epcot I can be pretty confident they won't add a water way entry or even a foot entry there. The biggest reason being that the water way they would connect is where the fireworks storage building is. There is a ton of backstage work that happens there and would be difficult to put somewhere else. Techs are out in that open space for hours loading the barges and getting the fireworks show ready. That backstage route also is used to get World Showcase CMs from location to location behind the scenes so a cast shuttle goes through there. It would require a lot of extra reworking and potentially an addition of a bridge for what would probably be lack luster gains to attendance of Epcot.

There was a rumor that a boat connection was being considered from CBR to Epcot at one point but the idea was abandon. The plans in this permit don't give any indication of any sort of connection to Epcot or DHS, although it's possible that could be something that is coming later.

To add to the discussion of what is happening at CBR, we have also seen a permit recently that a significant change is also coming to Coronado Springs. That permit shows a lot of re-configuration of the storm water ponds to make way for something, although we don't know what the something is.

An area on the other side of the current DHS entrance road is being filled to create new parking. The land between the canal around DHS and Victory way was recently released from it's conservation easement, but with the exception of the new entrance road that will cut through that land no permits have been filed for any work on that land.

Yes i posted above but got lost in the original quote. If you zoom in on google maps earth view there is what looks like a walking path already through the woods between Victory Way and DHS parking lot. Possible use of that? Will be interesting either way.

All 3 of those have a better design to house a DVC than Caribbean.

This whole idea seems "lipstick on a pig" at first glance

I thought that at first as well; but, the 1 thing CBR has that the other 3 don't is location. CRB has the location to be a deluxe resort it just doesn't have the amenities (yet). The whole idea of a CBR DVC is useless to me without some type of direct access to the parks. I wouldn't rule out some other form of transportation but boat seems most likely to me. I could see a canal from CBR going through the pad in between Germany and China with passengers being dropped off at the International Gate boat dock. It connects CBR to the Cresent Lake boat routes by just adding 1 more stop. It would make for a long boat ride to DHS but it would still work.

zemra406 said:
Agreed it would be a long walk to DHS. However, call me crazy but if you zoom in on Google maps Earth view there is what appears to be a walking path through the woods there today that connects Victory Way near CBR to the DHS parking lot. Would be a long walk but doesn't seem too much further than current walk from Beach Club to the studios.
The difference in terms of walking from BC to the studios is that you don't have to, you can take the boat. If they only offer a walking path from this new place, that will hurt a bunch of people who have mobility issues and not get them to buy/book there.

The difference in terms of walking from BC to the studios is that you don't have to, you can take the boat. If they only offer a walking path from this new place, that will hurt a bunch of people who have mobility issues and not get them to buy/book there.

Very true. And they would need an alternative for inclement weather.

I'm not disputing any of what you're saying...but i think your angle is different.

I'm talking about Disney's longstanding tradition of applying somewhat rigid pricing guidelines based on locations and amenities. They typically don't deviate from that.

By the same token...longstanding disney customers - current and future DVC members - know what they "get" and what they don't. And that effects sales.

It's not a matter of "cost"...it's a matter of meeting minimum requirements for both the accountants AND the expectations that will lead to sales and occupancy.

I thought that at first as well; but, the 1 thing CBR has that the other 3 don't is location. CRB has the location to be a deluxe resort it just doesn't have the amenities (yet). The whole idea of a CBR DVC is useless to me without some type of direct access to the parks. I wouldn't rule out some other form of transportation but boat seems most likely to me. I could see a canal from CBR going through the pad in between Germany and China with passengers being dropped off at the International Gate boat dock. It connects CBR to the Cresent Lake boat routes by just adding 1 more stop. It would make for a long boat ride to DHS but it would still work.

The reality is that Caribbean is as removed as any other hotel...as in their transport times via bus aren't any quicker than other spots...especially epcot.

I don't see a new waterway or rail system being built to facilitate this...why there? Why now? What's the advantage?

Since this will be a tower will we see a Lounge or restaurant at the top? I'm sure there will be fireworks views...

The reality is that Caribbean is as removed as any other hotel...as in their transport times via bus aren't any quicker than other spots...especially epcot.

I don't see a new waterway or rail system being built to facilitate this...why there? Why now? What's the advantage?

You know in reality CBR is right next to Epcot, but the entrance isn't. A short canal less than 1/2 mile long would connect CRB to Epcot, BW, DHS, etc... The biggest complaint I hear about CBR is that is too big and busing is terrible and that is what you are talking about. A 5 -10 minute boat ride eliminates that. We are likely talking about a CBR DVC and you know how popular Epcot DVC's are during F&W. It fits your criteria of filling rooms and being able to charge a higher price. You do it now so you CBR can take advantage of increased demand when DHS is completed and rumored Epcot renovation takes place. Direct Access is the key and you already said what the going rate is for a room with direct access to the parks. I would think the suits would go for doubling the price of rooms at CBR.

Last edited:
We've stayed at all of the mods and CBR was by far our least favorite. I was VERY surprised that this one was chosen for DVC when the others have a lot more going for them.

What would be the incentive to buy there? I don't see it. Direct access doesn't feel like enough.

I just don't see why they would put the effort into making this "deluxe" level.

It seems like it would take a lot of work and money. Even after that, I still don't see the appeal vs the other deluxe options.

It already will take work to get it to the OKW level, but if they can get away with not adding another signature pool, and putting in just a lounge and a quite pool, and sell it for around the same as OKW, seems to be the best way to go. The value rooms are scarce and seem to be gobbled up fairly quickly from what I've gathered. Seems to be a demand that perhaps this will fill.

But who knows. Perhaps they see a demand for more Boardwalk type DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter