Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

That's not crazy...that makes the most sense...you connect the canals...or a rail to the canals at the entrance to mgm...that's all being reworked anyway.

But...there is the "price" issue...
Getting superb access to Star Wars land might be just the ticket to get those DVC prices up. There are DVC resorts with pretty great access to everything BUT the Studios right now, so it makes sense if the Studios are going to be the next big thing you'd want to be putting some higher end lodging closer to it.

First:

IF they're gonna go "direct access"...which I think is a fool's bet...tunneling onto mgm near pop would be the way to go...not onto Epcot.

Second...the only way this flys without blowing the whole model up is if they go cheap point chart...6 a night. Which means it will be mobbed by point shavers.

And old key west was 8 for years...and even though it was prototype/stripped its far better than Caribbean from a number of angles.

Did I ever mention I worked the operations center at Caribbean and could walk the whole grounds blindfolded? Funny how that changes your outlook :duck:

Ah, missed this earlier. I should read through more carefully. I like how you still say mgm. I would think it would almost have to be it's own mini-resort, versus too dependent on the rest of CB, or yeah I just don't see how they are going to value those points.

Getting superb access to Star Wars land might be just the ticket to get those DVC prices up. There are DVC resorts with pretty great access to everything BUT the Studios right now, so it makes sense if the Studios are going to be the next big thing you'd want to be putting some higher end lodging closer to it.

By "price" issue...I mean that the current starting hotel rate for "direct" or "exclusive" access to a park is $400.00 a night...

...so the plebs at AoA and Caribbean don't pay enough to warrant such access.

That is a "real thing"...don't doubt it.

Will be very interesting to see what happens.

I'm looking to buy into DVC later this year. Just 100 points at Saratoga which will get me 2 weeks vacation every 2 years from the UK. While I'm likely to stay at Old Key West or Boardwalk for roughly 76 points a week off season, if I had the option of a moderate DVC for less points then I'd certainly consider that to give me a longer stay.

Saying that, I can imagine current DVC owners also going for it too.

I consider BW area as direct access to DHS, that includes S&D often in line with a moderate pricing, but still.

Call me crazy, but is there any circumstance in which Disney "improves" the overall area to a point where the resort as a whole jumps up to a quasi-Deluxe or even full-on Deluxe, justifying the DVC expenditure and not unbalancing the status quo with other DVC locations?

For a company that has been looking to nickel and dime the customer into significant debt for years now, why rock the boat for all the other properties and devalue points across the board when you can just charge more at one resort by throwing in some new amenities like a new table service restaurant, additional food court/counter service location, exclusive pool, and direct access to one or even two newly refurbished parks (we all know Epcot is getting a facelift, it's just a matter of when)?

I find it much more likely Disney finds a way to charge the base CBR guest more than to up-end the entire DVC ecosystem.

Call me crazy, but is there any circumstance in which Disney "improves" the overall area to a point where the resort as a whole jumps up to a quasi-Deluxe or even full-on Deluxe, justifying the DVC expenditure and not unbalancing the status quo with other DVC locations?

For a company that has been looking to nickel and dime the customer into significant debt for years now, why rock the boat for all the other properties and devalue points across the board when you can just charge more at one resort by throwing in some new amenities like a new table service restaurant, additional food court/counter service location, exclusive pool, and direct access to one or even two newly refurbished parks (we all know Epcot is getting a facelift, it's just a matter of when)?

I find it much more likely Disney finds a way to charge the base CBR guest more than to up-end the entire DVC ecosystem.

It's not crazy. I would say that this is exactly what they did with the deludes starting a few years ago when they were actually affordable.

I think that's been the entire point. If it has direct access to one or even 2 parks, it should be in line with the others IMO.

...ahhh...the fog begins to lift and things have more clarity...

Is it too early to know how this will affect the resort/guests?

I will be staying at CBR in September

I'm looking to buy into DVC later this year. Just 100 points at Saratoga which will get me 2 weeks vacation every 2 years from the UK. While I'm likely to stay at Old Key West or Boardwalk for roughly 76 points a week off season

As a longtime BWV owner, I just wanted to point out that you won't get to book BWV standard view studios very often with SSR points.

As a longtime BWV owner, I just wanted to point out that you won't get to book BWV standard view studios very often with SSR points.

In the offseason it may still happen...but not like you could prior to Saratoga and stupidity like the poly bungalows...

The whole system has declined in this respect.

Which is why this is a horrible idea. The desirability of each new unit needs to be high. If they overcharge for this it's going to be a glut on the system.

In the offseason it may still happen
As long as the offseason doesn't include any time from mid-September through mid-January. I've ever had a few spring/summer trips (that are considered "offseason" by BWV booking standards) where standard view studios were gone a couple of weeks into the home-resort booking window. Pool/garden view isn't very many more points a night, so it's worth people budgeting for that when trying for BWV.

If the thought is to connect to DHS, wouldn't it have made more sense to build on the open space on the lagoon opposite of South Trinidad units? If I bought a DVC for the perk of connecting to a park, I sure as heck wouldn't want to have to walk/bus or whatever to get to the transportation option.
The location in the resort is what links it to Epcot VS DHS.

Of course you do this one to link to epcot, and then phase 2 across from south trinidad that links to DHS, then you have a modern super DVC resort.

The location of CBR really does have great potential, had they not built CBR in the first place.

I can only come to one conclusion.........THEY ARE BUILDING A NEW MONORAIL! popcorn:: :rotfl2:

I'm kidding about the monorail, just in case anyone thinks I was serious.

By "price" issue...I mean that the current starting hotel rate for "direct" or "exclusive" access to a park is $400.00 a night...

...so the plebs at AoA and Caribbean don't pay enough to warrant such access.

That is a "real thing"...don't doubt it.

I am curious as to what the price is going to be for a CBR DVC. It sounds like they are going to model it off the BLT model with DVC members having exclusive access to most of the new areas. A new pool and roof top lounge with fireworks viewing of not 1 but 2 parks seem like a given to me. Better access to the parks, more amenities, and fewer rack rate rooms equals higher room rates. CRB becomes more of a high end "moderate" which could charge rates approaching BC / YC or BW rates. This way they can still keep the exclusivity of DVC away from the plebs and jack up the prices for one of the lower performing properties. I don't think the price point will be as low as people think for a CBR DVC.

Last edited:
I can only come to one conclusion.........THEY ARE BUILDING A NEW MONORAIL! popcorn:: :rotfl2:

I'm kidding about the monorail, just in case anyone thinks I was serious.

LOL, That was my thought also but couldn't say it for the certainty of being flamed; and we all know it ain't happening.pirate:

Could definitely see CBR as a deluxe-light if a few more amenities are added. They could restrict access to a lounge/pool area but would be tough to restrict access to a walking path or better park transportation (if they go that route). But yeah direct park access would definitely improve this location. I'm already allocating my 2020 points for a stay here haha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter