People Mover opening 4/3/2021

AnnaS

DIS Veteran
Just heard on the local news station that People Mover is opening 4/3/2020.

Monorail will be opening soon. Adding dividers in them and that park will soon be at 50% capacity - within the next few weeks/for Spring Break. I think it's there now.

Still testing fireworks. We have seen some in the evening from OKW.

Last edited:
This is about the 5th date peoplekover has had. I wouldn’t plan a trip around that date.

Monorail will be opening soon. Adding dividers in them and that park will soon be at 50% capacity - within the next few weeks/for Spring Break. I think it's there now.

Capacity is still at 35% and is unlikely to change until the CDC changes their guidance.

A month ago it was announced that People Mover would open March 1. A month before that it was announced that People Mover would open in late January. Before that it had a date that was earlier in January. And before that I think it was announced for Dec 26. I could go on but at this point I'll believe it when it happens.

I’m not sure the source for your suggestion of 50% capacity but nearly all of March was yellow with HS and MK unavailable for much of the month, but all of a sudden it is wide open! Interesting developments.

does anyone know what is actually wrong with the people mover? as in why was it closed in the first place? I'm guessing more than general maintenance

does anyone know what is actually wrong with the people mover? as in why was it closed in the first place? I'm guessing more than general maintenance
For a year...blah...I think I heard right before the closure there was a fire and then I think they just sat on it all closure and then had to get some special part...yada yada yada.

For a year...blah...I think I heard right before the closure there was a fire and then I think they just sat on it all closure and then had to get some special part...yada yada yada.
so typical heel dragging then lol

My guess is that the parts used previously became obsolete and they are struggling with finding a replacement/supplier.

I just planned a short spontaneous trip for the end of April 2021, and I was optimistic about PM being open. ...but as previously mentioned, the reopening date has been pushed back so many times that I will just be happy if it is opened for my December 2021 trip!

What I was told is they are replacing the magnetic linear induction motors and repairing bad parts of the track. So once complete, it will be all new and a smoother ride.

That would make sense. I doubt they make their own LIM and have outsourced them.

The company that originally made the components for the ride went out of business a while ago. Disney needed to replace all of the motors for the ride (they go down the whole length of the track). That’s the main source of the long timeframe. I also think they weren’t doing much with the parks closed due to COVID due to the financial uncertainty.

That would make sense. I doubt they make their own LIM and have outsourced them.
I don't know, Disney did design the military's electromagnetic launch system on aircraft carriers. but yes, I'm sure they have someone build them.

About People Mover, in all the trips everyone has made to the park, has anyone ever seen workers out walking the track or working on the track? I never have. I doubt they would do all the work at night and the track has never been covered or blocked. So them saying they are replacing parts of track or motors in the track is hogwash IMO.

I heard that the problem was that the cars weren't stopping and were crashing into each other.

As with others, I'll believe it's opening again when it actually opens. It seems like every time they announce a date, something goes wrong and they have to push it back.

Capacity is still at 35% and is unlikely to change until the CDC changes their guidance.

They can do whatever they want, when they want. Just saying what I heard on the news last night. We have been here since last Wednesday (here for 9 nights) - we had other plans yesterday with friends/Florida residents so no park - but as of Monday - I am sure capacity is still at 35% - but the crowds looked like pre-COVID crowds to me. Just implying how crazy busy it is. Still Manageable. Many people are WFH and many kids are remote learning so not sure if crowds would have been significant less after President's week under "normal" circumstances.

We were here in October and notice the difference. We will be back in November and I am sure we will notice /and there will be a difference again - as I am hoping the whole world will be going in the right direction.

Enjoy :)

All the pushbacks of things is starting to be a bummer. We go in April and I’m really hoping to take DD on people mover since it hasn’t been open in the last two trips we took with her (her only trip cause she is 18 months). I’m still hoping Remy might be open by then but doubting it and I had expected the space restaurant to be open back on our October trip but now I don’t expect that to open anytime soon. I keep saying in our next trip there will be new things open but so far that hasn’t happened. At least Tom Sawyer’s island is open again cause that wasn’t open our last two trips either.

and what news station reported all this especially about the monorail? Last week the reports were disney changed their mind and are not opening the EPCOT line because of concerns of too many guests waiting at hotels for monorail and not being able to socially distance

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!