People are insane!

About 27 years ago I was the little kid sitting on the curb that some lovely adults literally pushed off the curb to get a spot like five minutes before the parade. My mom and I had been sitting and patiently waiting for about 30 minutes. My mom tried to talk to the people, but they just ignored her. If I remember correctly, we ended up moving and standing elsewhere. I do remember I did get ice cream afterwards, but it soured my mom to Disney parades so badly, we didn't watch another one until 2013 MVMCP. And then those crowds were so rude during fireworks, that this year my mom requested doing the dessert party to avoid the crazy crowds.

Now my husband and I watched the parade just fine in 2015. We found a half wall to sit on and just hung out. He did get after some people who stepped in front of kids in a stroller that parents asked if they could park in front of us. The people acted like they didn't see the stroller... seriously, it was a double stroller.

People are very stressed as they try to get the value out of their very expensive tickets.

(Don't get me wrong, it's still not right, and it's not an excuse)

I think it says something about group think and sociology. We make such a point of strategically avoiding crowds by choosing when to visit, what route to take through the parks, which fast passes are most coveted, some seem to start seeing the other guests as the enemy, the "other," the obstacle. I wish there was some sort of way to reward those who act community-minded while vacationing, or at least not outwardly hostile.

A few years ago on a flight I was about 20 rows back and when we were deplaning a guy was trying to push his way to the front of the plane when everyone was standing up waiting. I said "Where are you gonna go we're all waiting' and he said "I have a connection I have to go" and I said "I've been flying all day I want to go too" and wouldn't let him pass.

He ended up waiting an extra ~2 minutes compared to if he was at the front of the plane. At baggage claim a couple thanked me for not letting him by.

The worst "line cutting" I deal with at WDW is the horde to single line after the Haunted Mansion stretching room people seem to suck at that and it depends on how efficiently the CMs are running the entrance and stretching room. This past trip was fine as was the January trip but the trip before that was atrocious, CM's letting too many people through, and letting in the next horde before the first dissipated, people running past us, etc.

But then again we don't stand-by anything over posted 15 minute waits and we don't rope drop.

I do everything possible to avoid crowds, go when projected crowd levels are lowest, fly mid week, eat at off times, try to adhere to lowest projected crowd calendar estimations day to day, take cabs when there will obviously bus loading issues, heck I would take a cab instead of DME if it Wasn't crazy expensive.

If I want to be in the park before everyone it's PPO Breakfast.
If I want to watch parades, it's from the MK Train Station or at the back of adventure land.
If I want to watch fireworks in the park I do it from either a reserved location via Dessert Party or FP+.

Won't be doing ROL again even with the Dining Package, loading and unloading that stadium seating was an experience (i.e S***show)I don't care to ever experience again. Especially considering they filled in what little space was left in the dining package seating with leftover stand-by. Making it go from comfortable to shoulder to shoulder.

This was made worse by people not listening to CMs to move over, CMs blanket yelling at everyone instead of yelling at specific people who were blatantly ignoring them (not sure if this is standard operating procedure to not single people out) even at the very end trying to squeeze in standby into dining package seating with CM's telling stand by people let into dining package to literally climb over seated people with backpacks, and children instead of loading them from the opposite side where there was a staircase and available seating.

CMs also had confusing (to some people) instructions with one yelling to move all the way to the center and the other on the other side yelling to move all the way to the right. On top of all that we all thought ROL was meh which didn't help and exiting the park wasn't nearly as well lit as it should have been.

Oh yeah I did have a bad experience at Mickey's Philharmagic, first with people not listening to the CMs about the waiting room and moving all the way down and filling in space and then people just deciding to stop halfway down the row.

Oh yeah I did have a bad experience at Mickey's Philharmagic, first with people not listening to the CMs about the waiting room and moving all the way down and filling in space and then people just deciding to stop halfway down the row.

This happened everywhere we went. What is it with people who think that the instructions apply to everyone but them?

Let's say you have a small child and that child gets pushed or knocked over by another guest being aggressive... and then let's say that child gets physically hurt.

Is there anything legally that can be done? Can you call the police, can you file charges against the aggressor? Obviously, it would have to be an extreme case but, I'm curious if there is anything that can be done? What are the laws in cases like this in large crowds with pushing and shoving?

If I want to watch parades, it's from the MK Train Station or at the back of adventure land.

Unfortunately, this isn't a foolproof strategy. I tried it last week during FoF. We stood there waiting for 30 min in 95 degree heat. I was standing behind my son's stroller and my husband was standing beside it. A family strolled up after the parade started and were totally crowding us. The wife bumped into me several times before they saw a spot they liked better (they really were pretty far back, behind me AND a stroller). Then, yet another family came up (parade had been going on 5-7 min at that point). The wife stood with her body literally touching mine (like, gross, why would you do that to a stranger) and proceeded to take photos with her phone 2-3 inches from my head. I "accidentally" elbowed her while getting something out of my son's diaper bag. That was certainly not the best or most mature way for me to handle the situation, but I was so hot and just fed up.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this isn't a foolproof strategy. I tried it last week during FoF. We stood there waiting for 30 min in 95 degree heat. I was standing behind my son's stroller and my husband was standing beside it. A family strolled up after the parade started and were totally crowding us. The wife bumped into me several times before they saw a spot they liked better (they really were pretty far back, behind me AND a stroller). Then, yet another family came up (parade had been going on 5-7 min at that point). The wife stood with her body literally touching mine (like, gross, why would you do that to a stranger) and proceeded to take photos with her phone 2-3 inches from her head. I "accidentally" elbowed her while getting something out of my son's diaper bag. That was certainly not the best or most mature way for me to handle the situation, but I was so hot and just fed up.
Parade sidlers! Can't stand 'em! In everyday life I would say personal space would be something like 2 feet in all directions. I'm willing to forego 50% of that space in a parade setting and relinquish 1 foot. That leaves 1 foot (only 12"!) for my remaining personal space. I think we can all agree that is a reasonable request. #stop.parade.sidlers!

How do 22 people get in front of you in the line ? Did they physically shove you out of the way ? People are definitely rude, but also very oblivious when at Disney. That said, I've never had 20+ people cut in front of me in line. Well, a Brazilian Tour Group tried to do it once, but when the flag carrier went to go around, I just stepped in her path.

/ Helps to be a big guy when protecting your place in line at Disney, I suppose.
It's possible. Mainly because all of us that follow the rules are so stunned that people have the audacity to do this.

When I am in line I always stand with my hands on my hips to give myself a little buffer from the folks crowded around me. Also in line DH and I stand in such a way that someone would either have to ask our permission to get by or knock us over. So far we haven't been knocked over lol.....:rolleyes1

I think most of the outright rude cutting and inconsiderate behavior is by foreign persons. I don't say it to be mean or hateful, but its the truth. In their country, this may be business as usual and they may think nothing differently of it. This last trip I took was the absolute worst for rude behavior. 90% was persons from offshore. Went to the outlet mall to the Character warehouse one night. I opened the door to the food court to let my wife in and this woman and her child made a b-line directly in front of me right through the door I just opened for her. They did not say one word or even look at me. ???

I think most of the outright rude cutting and inconsiderate behavior is by foreign persons. I don't say it to be mean or hateful, but its the truth. In their country, this may be business as usual and they may think nothing differently of it. This last trip I took was the absolute worst for rude behavior. 90% was persons from offshore. Went to the outlet mall to the Character warehouse one night. I opened the door to the food court to let my wife in and this woman and her child made a b-line directly in front of me right through the door I just opened for her. They did not say one word or even look at me. ???

Although sometimes language and culture norms can create an air of rudeness, I have to say Americans are just as bad. And actually, I think I've seen more Americans be absolutely appalling to CMs then out of country tourists (although they could've been Canadian, but doubtful). Also, as an American who used to live in London, I can tell you from first hand experience that American tourists can be just as rude as any other tourist.

And how about those lovely, oblivious people who move down the rows with their oversized backpacks smacking the people in the row in front of them in the head as they move through. This happened at the Muppets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter