Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR; Wrapping up PTR and TR 10/02!

Missyrose

DIS Veteran
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Tanner,
Mickey wants to celebrate too! ::MickeyMo

Hi friends, welcome to yet another trip report, I can’t believe this is my third! I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy writing them.
We’ve expanded the cast this time around. So let’s start with some introductions for those of you I haven’t met, or even for those who just plain don’t remember who I am.

I’m Missy, the 29-year-old Disney-aholic.

DSC3098-L.jpg

To fund my Disney habit, I work as an editor in the sports department of a newspaper in Washington D.C. I love all things sports, pop culture and, of course, The Mouse. My favorite Disney character is Minnie Mouse. My favorite Walt Disney World ride is Big Thunder Mountain. And my favorite Disney snack? Casey’s corndog nuggets.

My partner in crime is Franklin, a.k.a. Pixel Dust here on the Dis.

IMG20120310121629-L.jpg

He just turned the big 3-0 and works for an architecture firm to pay the Disney bills. His passions are cars (both the lower-cased cars and the movie “Cars”) and photography (he is who we have to thank for all the beautiful photos in this TR).
Guido from “Cars” is his favorite Disney character. And he could ride Expedition Everest all day if given the chance.

We started going to Disney together in February 2009, can you believe that was Franklin’s first-ever Disney World trip? This trip marks our fourth together and we love going so much that we just closed on our first Disney Vacation Club contract at Boardwalk Villas. :woohoo:

But many of you already know the two of us, let’s get to the new faces. And why not start with the star of our show, the birthday boy himself... Tanner!

DSC2964-L.jpg

Since the day he was born, Tanner’s grandmother began telling him that his Auntie Missy wanted to take him to Disney World.

DSC2953-L.jpg

And so when he was just a few months old, I proposed the idea of a birthday trip for the newest member of the family. Everyone agreed and the March trip was born.
Who is everyone?

Well, let’s start with those responsible for creating the most adorable baby I’ve ever seen: Franklin’s sister Lala and her husband, Keith.

DSC1906-L.jpg

Lala was last at Disney World for spring break in the 1990s.

DSC2414-L.jpg

Her favorite character is Mickey (especially Sorcerer Mickey). She loves Space Mountain and her favorite Disney snack is funnel cake.

Keith’s last trip to the World was in 2002. He loves to ride Test Track (so glad we got it in before its rumored refurb!).
He loves Eeyore and enjoys a good Mickey Bar on a hot day.

DSC1858-L.jpg

How cute do all the boys look in their Star Wars T-shirts?

Rounding out our intrepid group is Franklin and Lala’s mom, Kotkham.

DSC1312-L.jpg

She might have been the most excited of all of us to visit Mickey. Her favorite ride is It’s a Small World.
She loves Minnie Mouse and couldn’t wait to see the Flower and Garden Festival.

Now that you know the who, let’s give you the rest of the trip data:

When: March 6-10

Where: Though I’m a convert to the Disney onsite experience, renting a Windsor Hills townhouse ended up being the right choice for our group. The house had three-bedrooms, so everyone had their own space. And it cost about as much as one value room would have cost for the trip. It killed me to leave the bubble, but it was for the best.

Why: As I alluded to earlier, Tanner turned 1 on February 28.

DSC9905-L.jpg

And what better celebration is there than a trip to Disney World? I caught plenty of crap from various people in my life about taking a 1-year-old to Disney World. My favorite quip was “You could write Disney World on a cardboard box and put the kid in it and he wouldn’t know the difference.” But I knew better. Tanner is an inquisitive kid, always wants to see everything and know what everyone is doing. And I knew he was going to love EVERYTHING about Disney World.
Was I right? You’ll just have to read on to find out.​

Chapter Links

Tuesday, March 6
Introductions
Five adults, four suitcases and a baby, sounds like travel day!
A Trek to Our First Park, Part 1 -- Part 2
A Grand Homecoming and a Sporty Dinner

Wednesday, March 7
A Magic Kingdom Kind of Morning, Part 1 -- Part 2
A Plaza Lunch and a Meeting With the Mouse, Part 1 -- Part 2
A Sea and Sky Combo

Thursday, March 8
Breakfast on the Savannah
An Earlyish Morning at Epcot
The Seas, Mars and Everything in Between
A Trip to Canada...
... And a Trip to Cali
It's Electric!
Putting on a Show
Wishing on a Star

Friday, March 9
A Hollywood Entrance
A Meet & Greet Bonanza, Part 1 -- Part 2
Toys, Cars and Drive-Ins...Oh my!
An Animated Afternoon
Lightning Strikes in the Afternoon
Fire Up a Pixar Parade
A Beauty of an Afternoon
Storm Clouds and a Poly Dinner

Saturday, March 10
Breakfast With a Mouse, Part 1 -- Part 2
One Last Magical Morning
Getting Our Ride On
Saying Goodbye to Mickey and Co.

Off-topic Fun
Oct. '12 PTR: Early Morning Nets Big Results
A Little Fun With Disney Food
Exciting news!
Double-Digit Dance!
Oct. '12 PTR: One Month Away ... October 3
Oct. '12 PTR: One Month Away ... October 4
Oct. '12 PTR: One Month Away ... October 5
Oct. '12 PTR: One Month Away ... October 6
Oct. '12 PTR: One Month Away ... October 7/8
Oct. '12 PTR: One Month Away ... October 9
Oct. '12 PTR: One Month Away ... October 10, 11 and 12
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney food No. 21
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney food No. 20
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney food No. 19
Oct. '12 PTR:Favorite Disney Food No. 18
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food No. 17
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food Nos. 16 and 15
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food No. 14
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food No. 13
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food No. 12
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food No. 11
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food No. 10
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney food Nos. 9 and 8
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food No. 7
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food No. 6
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food Nos. 5, 4 and 3
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food No. 2
Oct. '12 PTR: Favorite Disney Food No. 1

Great timing!!! I am so in!

Dee

PS- Glad to see that Tanner is still too freakin' cute!!!

Like so many wonderful Disney trips, ours started bright and early. Our goal was to arrive at the airport at 6 a.m. Yep, that’s early. We actually arrived at 6:15 and checked our bag. Yes, you read that correctly, we checked a single bag. The queen of overpacking managed to share a suitcase AND it was actually underweight.

We breezed through security and were on the tram out to the C Concourse at 6:25. We waited at the concourse entrance for Lala, Keith, Kotkham and Tanner. Once our whole, very excited, group met up, it was time to go in search of breakfast. I definitely missed the JetBlue concourse and its delicious Five Guys breakfast. But we settled for Wendy’s.

DSC0224-L.jpg

Franklin and his mom each got a sausage, egg and cheese sandwich. I had a sausage biscuit. Keith had a sausage, egg, cheese and bacon sandwich. And Lala had a breakfast burrito. Everything was just meh, not great but not completely terrible. I knew we had plenty of yummy Disney food ahead, so I wasn’t too worried.

After breakfast, we hung out near the gate.

DSC0230-L.jpg

And soon, our plane arrived.

DSC0222-L.jpg

I gave Tanner his travel day goodie bag. It was a “Cars” mini backpack, filled with a travel Magna Doodle, a bean bag Mickey Mouse, books, a Lightning McQueen sippy cup and his autograph book. He loved the Mickey Mouse and the Donald Duck book most.

DSC0226-L.jpg

We boarded just before 8 and left exactly on time. Franklin and I had Economy Plus seats (leftover from the yearlong Economy Plus subscription we bought last summer for all our Europe flights), so we sat further toward the front of the plane than Keith, Lala, Kotkham and Tanner. Our flight was smooth and quick. I fell asleep watching “Project Runway All-Stars” on my iPad. Franklin watched videos on his iPad. How did Tanner do on his first flight?

DSC0238-L.jpg

All smiles, he did great! Never made a peep. We all made it off the plane with all our strollers, carryons, tote bags and children. As we cruised through the concourse, Tanner decided he couldn’t see enough sitting in his stroller normally, so he wanted to cruise up where he could see.

DSC0245-L.jpg

Our next stop was the faux-norail to take us to the main terminal.

DSC0250-L.jpg

DSC0253-L.jpg

DSC0254-L.jpg

We were on the B side of the terminal, which you Disney fans know is where you go to catch Disney’s Magical Express.
But since we were staying offsite this time, there would be no DME for us.

DSC0257-L.jpg

Getting the rental car took FOREVER. They seemed to be trying to upsell us more stuff than normal. But we finally had the paperwork and went to pick up our Chevy Traverse.

DSC00562-L.jpg

DSC00563-L.jpg

It was a “full-size” SUV, which was definitely big enough for us during our trip. But getting all our luggage in along with all six of us was a bit of a complicated puzzle.
Thank goodness Keith and Franklin are both Tetris masters, so everything fit!

A mere 30 minutes later we arrived at Windsor Hills and found our townhouse. It’s called Mickey’s Magical Escape and it was so cute! They had the different rooms decorated like different Disney resorts. The living room was decorated like Animal Kingdom Lodge.

DSC2942-L.jpg

DSC2943-L.jpg

DSC2944-L.jpg

The master bedroom was decorated like Old Key West.

DSC2948-L.jpg

DSC2949-L.jpg

DSC2950-L.jpg

The second bedroom was decorated like Yacht Club and the third bedroom had bunk beds and was decorated in everything Mickey (Mickey carpet, Mickey bedspreads, Mickey decals on the wall, Mickey lamps -- and Franklin forgot to photograph ANY of it.) Kotkham’s ECV had been delivered before we got there, it was out back by the pool. Everyone settled in and unpacked. We were in Florida! But before we could get to any Disney fun, we had a few errands to run.

Any guesses which park we would head to that afternoon?​

I'm so glad Tanner had a good flight!! On our last trip there was one very tortured little boy holding his ears and bawling, I felt terrible for him.
Nice place! It's so big and spacious!
I guess Hollywood Studios. :)

Great start! How exciting to bring the little guy. He's adorable, can't wait to hear all about the trip. And i'm gonna say MK the first night!!!!!!

I'm so glad Tanner had a good flight!! On our last trip there was one very tortured little boy holding his ears and bawling, I felt terrible for him.
Nice place! It's so big and spacious!
I guess Hollywood Studios. :)

Thanks! I was so happy Tanner had a good flight, too! I was worried the pressure change would make him miserable.
The townhouse was A-MAZING. It was tough for me to choose to stay offsite, but once we saw how much space we had, I knew we'd made the right choice.
Plus the splash pool was perfect for soaking our aching feet when we got back from the parks!

Great start! How exciting to bring the little guy. He's adorable, can't wait to hear all about the trip. And i'm gonna say MK the first night!!!!!!

:welcome: Pam, thanks for joining in! I was soooo excited to show Tanner Disney World!
Good guess on the first park, but I can't give away the answer just yet. ;)

Hi! I'm joining in on the fun too. :goodvibes Tanner is just PRECIOUS. Can't wait to read all about his first birthday celebration! :yay:

Yay! I'm excited for your trip report!! I think only a true Disney fan knows the true value of taking a young toddler to the World. Good for You!! I am so excited to see all of your photos. When my DH & I come back from Disney our friends try to guess how many photos we took. LOL I think we try to out do ourselves every trip. :) Can't wait to read more.

Hi! I'm joining in on the fun too. :goodvibes Tanner is just PRECIOUS. Can't wait to read all about his first birthday celebration! :yay:

:wave2: Hi Marissa! Thanks for joining in! I'm going to dive into your TR this afternoon.

Yay! I'm excited for your trip report!! I think only a true Disney fan knows the true value of taking a young toddler to the World. Good for You!! I am so excited to see all of your photos. When my DH & I come back from Disney our friends try to guess how many photos we took. LOL I think we try to out do ourselves every trip. :) Can't wait to read more.

:welcome: Thanks for joining the party! The readers in my PTR put the over/under on Franklin's photos at 3,000...he definitely went over. :lmao:

Hello! I'm here! :wave: I know I wasn't all that present on your last TR, but I did try and keep up! :lmao:

I'm here! Great start to the trip! Love how excited the family is, and how good Tanner was on the plane!

Thanks everyone for joining in! :banana:
There will be plenty of Tanner. He was just so happy to see everything.

The camera holds 2 cards, 32GB and 64GB, and they were both full by the end of the trip.

Had a very busy week and I couldn't keep up with TRs, but it looks like I didn't get too far behind.

Good start to your trip. I am so glad Tanner's first flight went so well. Do you know if he napped at all or was he just too excited?

Loved your comment comparing packing the car to playing Tetris. :lmao:

What cute room themes!!! That's funny that they are based on Disney resorts. Sounds like this was a great choice for your group.

Do you start your trip with a visit to MK? We always do. It just seems like the right thing, even if it is crowded, soaking in the atmosphere of Main Street and beyond is the perfect way to start someone's Disney adventure.

700 photopass pictures?!? LOVE IT!!!

I preordered the CD for the class trip in June and I will be inviting all of the classmates to join in, but I still don't think we will have that many photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter