Pandora to open May 27th, 2017

There will be a swell...but this talk of "massive" crowds is not on point - my opinion.

There will be some on property shift...but I bet bookings haven't moved appreciably

Locked out, Rteetz, etc. What do you guys think. We are there May 13 - 26. I am pretty upset actually, the same thing happend to us for FL2 ... opened the day after we left ...

What do you think the chances are that it will be soft open or that we would at least get to walk around the new area ???

I have nothing other than gut to base this on...but I bet your chances are "not good"...

Here's your problem...they are opening it to compete with volcano bay at universal opening 5/25...they WANT the mob to divert attention...

That is a problem.

Locked out, Rteetz, etc. What do you guys think. We are there May 13 - 26. I am pretty upset actually, the same thing happend to us for FL2 ... opened the day after we left ...

What do you think the chances are that it will be soft open or that we would at least get to walk around the new area ???
A soft opening before the 27th is very likely however softs are often right place right time. So unless you want to camp out near the entrance all day you probably won't be very lucky.

...I'm so misunderstood. My "ranks"...officially...is that I hope it's the greatest thing ever...Which is same everytime.

(Ok...not frozen in Epcot...but that is pretty much nonsense and I've been vindicated)

I always want a "splash mountain" moment. Where the sum is way more Than the parts. Pirates...haunted mansion...the original imagination...tower of terror...rockinroller coaster...

But if it isn't great...after 6 years and god knows how much money spent that I'll now have to reimburse them for...then they got some "SPLAININ'" to do.

I had hopes for fantasyland...but man was that a sham. Moved some pieces around, a flat with no ingenuity, the zippy dippy coaster, and the most overrated cafeteria in Disney history...

"Magic"...for sure.

Perhaps if they lifted a finger more often I could find the goodness in my heart?

I'm actually upbeat now...

...wait...I just remembered "disney springs"...nevermind ;)

Misunderstood is catching---- Our differences are mostly the fill level of the glass. I still expect the best but I am at this point prepared for possible disappointment......

Clearly you expect disappointment but are hoping for the moment.... nothing wrong with that, just don't want to get there.

And I really tried with Mall springs--- Still like the boathouse and Jocks-- Hoping they have a hit with Edisons, but the entire "front" half needs to go.

It didn't make me want to stay at Saratoga Johnsons.

It's expensive because they've boned the pricing...hence the "attendance down"...in an unprecedented economic boom...for what? 3 quarters now? 4?

But back to the point: nobody is all of a sudden booking a trip because of avatar opening. That was never in the cards for the core reason we have been kicking like a soccer ball for 6 years...

It's not "that" thing...though with good word of mouth it may increase attendance over time.

Well, it got me to book a dining package for that weekend, but it didn't get me to stay on site. So, they got dinner and attendance out of me.

Well, it got me to book a dining package for that weekend, but it didn't get me to stay on site. So, they got dinner and attendance out of me.

I was thinking more than Florida, weekend trip type bookings.

There will likely be some Florida/ap fill up. I would expect that. I'm sure it will be crowded that weekend...it's Memorial Day anyway...but i don't expect "avatar bookings" this summer.

There will likely be some Florida/ap fill up. I would expect that. I'm sure it will be crowded that weekend...it's Memorial Day anyway...but i don't expect "avatar bookings" this summer.

Oh I'm not going opening weekend. I am going the weekend afterward. I don't even want to see the crowds for Memorial Day

I sure hope your right. However every time I have been to Universal after a new ride opened, it has been nuts. I don't really have a whole "land" opening to compare it to other than Diagon Alley, but I don't think that is a fair comparison as there was a LOT more hype about that.

Had I known it was going to open on that day, I would have planned our trip to avoid it. :/

I sure hope your right. However every time I have been to Universal after a new ride opened, it has been nuts. I don't really have a whole "land" opening to compare it to other than Diagon Alley, but I don't think that is a fair comparison as there was a LOT more hype about that.

Had I known it was going to open on that day, I would have planned our trip to avoid it. :/

The sense I get is that universal has been far more effective attracting/converting the regional crowd since Harry Potter opened...is that what you're alluding to?

There are lots of factors...a big one being it was in disrepair and the improvements seem more significant/vast to the average consumer...

But the main one is they have stolen the thunder. I was vocal about not buying that 5 or so years ago...cause the mouse always wins.

But I've come around...this is real and They keep aggressively pursuing their advantage. Expect major construction/infrastructure work across I-4 soon...

Honestly...it's a failure in wdw leadership. They are too scared of the stock price to keep solidifying their advantage. I'm not sure springs or avatar are gonna make a dent...that puts even more heat on mgm and makes Epcot work a necessity.

It's not bad for the consumer...until you go to buy a ticket...at least ;)

Honestly...it's a failure in wdw leadership. They are too scared of the stock price to keep solidifying their advantage.

See, I think you've got a point, but I also think you under estimate the crazy fandom of Disney people. That failure in leadership has led this to be the first major opening since New Fantasyland. And even that is a bit of a hard comparison to make considering new fantasyland was opened in sections. This is 2 new rides in a highly themed area that has been through a *very* visible construction for the past 3 years.

It is also the first thing Disney has planned and opened since Universal hit the ground running with Hogsmeade. I see this leading to a lot of expectations in regards to the theming and interactivity of the land. People are going to want to see what 2017 Disney is capable of.

So while I totally agree what WDW has failed in pushing the envelope and keeping things relevant, the flip side to that is when something *does* open (especially after a drought), I believe it will lead to more excitement than is warranted.

I'm, not saying the park will be a level 10 crowd the entire time, but I would be amazed if the two new rides have a wait time of less than 120 min at anytime other than opening for the entire summer. And just like Diagon Alley, I expect it will be very difficult to actually appreciate the theming and all the personal touches when your in a sea of shoulders, strollers, and ECVs pushing you down the path. It takes a bit of the magic away at Universal when you have to wait in a line 6 people deep for your kid to use their magic wand to make it rain or make a suit of armor dance. I suspect the same thing happens when people line up to touch a biolumiscent mushroom or whatever else they have.

You lament all the time on how people never seem to learn their lesson and will buy anything with a mouse head on it. What makes you think this is the moment that everyone bails?

Given how bad the lines still are, generally speaking, at the relatively simple Frozen overlay in Norway, I think 120 minutes is being quite generous for two rides in a brand new land that has been hyped and watched built for 5 years by Disney fans. Between Pandora and ROL, that's a lot of new stuff in AK, and none of the other Disney parks can boast that kind of cache this summer. So regardless of AK having more of a love/don't love relationship with Disney attendees, this is going to be a very busy summer at that park.

I have to think that based on the news of it's opening, anyone considering a last minute vacation between now and the end of May, is thinking about delaying so they can see this. Wonder if we'll see some deep discounting in the near future for the Pre-Avatar dates in 2017?

I have to think that based on the news of it's opening, anyone considering a last minute vacation between now and the end of May, is thinking about delaying so they can see this. Wonder if we'll see some deep discounting in the near future for the Pre-Avatar dates in 2017?

Isn't it expensive to change flights? I haven't flown in a few years... At least the resident three day is blocked out for the first week or so--- I think that will hold off on a big group.....I guess there will be an increase in resident AP sales because of this? Smart move ....

Since you are referring to trips that have not been scheduled yet, it makes sense. Or people will wait until mid summer hoping for the crowds to settle. There is still the school schedules to consider...

I'm just hoping for reasonable the first weekend.

How many people do last minute disney trips unless they are FL residents ?

How many people do last minute disney trips unless they are FL residents ?
We tend to do last minute, waiting for David's vacation rental to have their last minute deals.
I can usually avoid change fees with united, as we have a corporate account with them, so that isn't a huge deal for us. My work schedule is such I can't plan 6 months out which is a bummer.

We tend to do last minute, waiting for David's vacation rental to have their last minute deals.
I can usually avoid change fees with united, as we have a corporate account with them, so that isn't a huge deal for us. My work schedule is such I can't plan 6 months out which is a bummer.

Ah-- how is SSR doing?

TP's crowd calendar just boosted the crowds for the opening. When I booked several months ago it was a lot of 5's and 6's. Now it's all 7's and 8's. "yay".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter