Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disability Access Service uses that FP line too.
More people might be using DAS now as well. A family we know recently went and decided without FP to get it for their daughter. In the past they used to manage without DAS. I've seen similar said on the boards. They probably would've just bought FP instead if it was available.

I posted this “theory” in another fastpass thread but figured I’d drop it here too in case anyone has any feedback or is interested. Just trying to keep this fun fastpass rumor mill going and on topic......

“I don’t think it is in Disney’s best interest to implement a brand new fastpass system right as things are “returning to normal”. Do they want a paid system? I’m sure Chapek does. And I’m sure it’s coming. Was this an opportunity (Covid) to be able to start fresh with a new system? Yes it WAS. But I think that opportunity came and went. Things are going back to normal too fast for big operation machines to keep up.

So if that logic is correct, which I think it is (based on nothing substantial mind you), then Disney will wait to implement a new “paid” fastpass system. And they will likely restore the previous system to its original format but will wait until AFTER the 50th anniversary is over to implement a new paid system. I think there is more than likely way too much going on internally regarding the 50th PLUS reopening from covid closures for them to cram down our throats a paid system. They barely have the staff to handle the reopening and people think they have full tech staff behind the scenes working dilligently on some monster new paid system for the near future? Yea, right. That just doesn’t make sense to me.

And if that’s the case, all of what I said, and the original system does come back in the near future (which I think it will given all the kiosks slowly returning), then it’s just a matter of if they do it in Sept or in Mid July. I don’t think they will relaunch any system before July 4th even if they are ready. I think they will wait till after the 4th to avoid any technical chaos before the major holiday (fireworks will be the big thing for that time period). The question becomes then, if it is announced end of July in this theory, does it return all at once for everyone that is booked in July/Aug or do they force the 2 month wait period for everyone with the system opening up in Sept or Oct? Again, if any of the aforementioned logic holds true, then I don’t think they’ll force a waiting period. I think once they announce it is returning, it will be a few days and then the floodgates will open. Why? Because that’s the route with least resistance at the moment. And doing it this way gives them time to eventually implement a paid system at a future date if they want to while providing some guest experience stability that is desperately needed (I’m sure as much internally as for the customer).

Chapek may not understand the park experience as we all appreciate it, and he may be too much of a numbers guy for Disney, but he isn’t impractical. And I think that NOT bringing it back NOT in it’s original form, that that would be the impractical business decision to make. But then again, I’m not the one making those decisions and for good reason lol.

Just my two cents and this is based on just rumors, nothing more.”

Last edited:
So if that logic is correct, which I think it is (based on nothing substantial mind you), then Disney will wait to implement a new “paid” fastpass system. And they will likely restore the previous system to its original format but will wait until AFTER the 50th anniversary is over to implement a new pid system. I just think there is way too much going on internally regarding the 50th PLUS reopening from covid closures for them to cram down our throats a paid system. They barely have the staff to handle the reopening and people think they have full tech staff behind the scenes working dilligently on some monster new paid system for the near future? Yea, right. That just doesn’t make sense to me.

God willing! The 50th ends in 2023 so that will be just after we get back. Good. I can live with that. ;)

Whichever they choose (paid/free/hybrid) they will want to use this opportunity to decrease the amounts given daily. Balance. Lower FP distribution to hit the sweet spot between not allowing standby to hit crazy waits and some opportunity to skip the big line. And that’s also how they can charge for FP without too much sour grapes because the parks would still be doable without FP, especially if everybody got 1 complimentary VQ per day.

Whichever they choose (paid/free/hybrid) they will want to use this opportunity to decrease the amounts given daily. Balance. Lower FP distribution to hit the sweet spot between not allowing standby to hit crazy waits and some opportunity to skip the big line. And that’s also how they can charge for FP without too much sour grapes because the parks would still be doable without FP, especially if everybody got 1 complimentary VQ per day.

The same amount they put out before was just fine for the standby lines.

I posted this “theory” in another fastpass thread but figured I’d drop it here too in case anyone has any feedback or is interested. Just trying to keep this fun fastpass rumor mill going and on topic......

“I don’t think it is in Disney’s best interest to implement a brand new fastpass system right as things are “returning to normal”. Do they want a paid system? I’m sure Chapek does. And I’m sure it’s coming. Was this an opportunity (Covid) to be able to start fresh with a new system? Yes it WAS. But I think that opportunity came and went. Things are going back to normal too fast for big operation machines to keep up.

So if that logic is correct, which I think it is (based on nothing substantial mind you), then Disney will wait to implement a new “paid” fastpass system. And they will likely restore the previous system to its original format but will wait until AFTER the 50th anniversary is over to implement a new pid system. I just think there is way too much going on internally regarding the 50th PLUS reopening from covid closures for them to cram down our throats a paid system. They barely have the staff to handle the reopening and people think they have full tech staff behind the scenes working dilligently on some monster new paid system for the near future? Yea, right. That just doesn’t make sense to me.

And if that’s the case, all of what I said, and the original system does come back in the near future (which I think it will given all the kiosks slowly returning), then it’s just a matter of if they do it in Sept or in Mid July. I don’t think they will relaunch any system before July 4th even if they are ready. I think they will wait till after the 4th, so maybe end of July? The question becomes then, does it return all at once for everyone that is booked in July/Aug or do they force the 2 month wait period for everyone with the system opening up in Sept or Oct? I don’t think they’ll force a waiting period. I think once they announce it is returning, it will be a few days and then the floodgates will open. Why? Because that’s the route with least resistance at the moment, and still gives them time to eventually implement a paid system at a future date if they want to. Chapek may not understand the park experience as we all appreciate it, and he may be too much of a numbers guy for Disney, but he isn’t impractical. And I think that NOT bringing it back soon NOT in it’s original form, that that would be the impractical business decision to make. But then again, I’m not the one making those decisions and for good reason lol.

Just my two cents and this is based on just rumors, nothing more.”
It all comes down to the software integration, whichever version of fp it may be, not crashing the platform. Or rolling out the one that works for now until the one they want is ready.

It all comes down to the software integration, whichever version of fp it may be, not crashing the platform. Or rolling out the one that works for now until the one they want is ready.

I keep hearing they had to trash the entire Fastpass system in order to build the Park Reservation system. Is that true (confirmed) or is that just a rumor? Or is there any confirmation in the code somehow that can be seen easily if the info wasn’t confirmed by a source? I keep hearing that is a big issue but being a project manager for a tech company and that just never seemed likely to me but maybe I’m wrong (mind you I just deal with website front-ends and not much back end integration - so there’s def room for error in the tech side of my thinking here).

They just added more capacity again starting July. This really is starting to annoy me. They keep upping capacity, which will cause the standby waits to be massive, and still haven't given us fast pass.

What's it going to? 75-80 percent capacity with no fast pass at all? Getting very frustrated
I would agree. They will have to do something sooner rather than later to keep increasing capacity. And it may play to everyone's benefit ( who liked fp+) if that's the case. At least until the other version stops crashing the platform.

The same amount they put out before was just fine for the standby lines.
Well… except for FoP racking up hundreds of days near 300 minute waits and 7DMT mostly over 100. Some rides were nutty.

Peter Pan for instance, withoutFP it’s not a crazy wait anymore. I think when people used to see it 90+ mins it made them have to ride it Lol. Now it’s 25 minute wait and doesn’t look as interesting 😂

I keep hearing they had to trash the entire Fastpass system in order to build the Park Reservation system. Is that true (confirmed) or is that just a rumor? Or is there any confirmation in the code somehow that can be seen easily if the info wasn’t confirmed by a source? I keep hearing that is a big issue but being a project manager for a tech company and that just never seemed likely to me but maybe I’m wrong (mind you I just deal with website front-ends and not much back end integration - so there’s def room for error in the tech side of my thinking here).
The whole platform changed. So putting all the old programs on the new platform was a base build. However no fp system was integrated yet. They had the code for the old fp+ but had not adapted it to the new platform. The first time they did it in live, they crashed the platform for about 2 hours. Then they got it working. So they tried a new version, paid or combo( not sure of details) and it crashed the platform. So if they are in a rush to bring fp online, it would have to be the fp+ code because it has worked without causing a crash. A "new" version has not been adapted so it works yet, but is being tested outside the live environment.

Well… except for FoP racking up hundreds of days near 300 minute waits and 7DMT mostly over 100. Some rides were nutty.

Peter Pan for instance, withoutFP it’s not a crazy wait anymore. I think when people used to see it 90+ mins it made them have to ride it Lol. Now it’s 25 minute wait and doesn’t look as interesting 😂
We rode Peter Pan standby a few years ago just because I wanted to see what the high waits were about. Never wanted to use a fast pass spot on it since we love the mountains. We left a bit disappointed 😂 I have no doubt there’s some nostalgia there for people, and it’s a classic ride...but we didn’t get it 🤷🏻‍♀️

It worked just fine as it was, there's no need to reduce the number they make available. If anything, there weren't enough. Waits were not crazy in standby on a normal busy day.

The whole platform changed. So putting all the old programs on the new platform was a base build. However no fp system was integrated yet. They had the code for the old fp+ but had not adapted it to the new platform. The first time they did it in live, they crashed the platform for about 2 hours. Then they got it working. So they tried a new version, paid or combo( not sure of details) and it crashed the platform. So if they are in a rush to bring fp online, it would have to be the fp+ code because it has worked without causing a crash. A "new" version has not been adapted so it works yet, but is being tested outside the live environment.

Interesting. And this a lot of makes sense from a tech perspective. When did the platform update occur and when was the code tested that resulted in the crash? During covid?

I’m assuming the new platform you are reffering to was launched at the beginning of Covid. Wondering how you came across all this info though, but I haven’t tapped into this wealth of knowledge of a Disney circle until recently, so I’m still playing catch up.

I am extremely interested in how you have obtained this information...

How did the old system work with FP+ and the paid FP that club level guests could purchase? There was some sort of adaptation in the old system that allowed for a hybrid solution. I know it had to be handed via the club level concierge team, but somehow the old system accommodated both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter