Other than DVC what other timeshares are still closed in FL and SC? Why the difference between DVC and others timeshares

bookwormde

<font color=darkorchid>Heading out now, another ad
Can anyone confirm what other timeshares are still closed in Orlando and South Carolina and the rest of Florida?

If they are still closed do they have an opening date?

Will DVC be the last timeshare to reopen in the local areas?

I believe Club Wyndham will begin phased openings on 5/26. I’ll double check that, though.

Edit:
Yes, here are the Orlando ones with phased openings beginning 5/26.

I believe Club Wyndham will begin phased openings on 5/26. I’ll double check that, though.

Edit:
Yes, here are the Orlando ones with phased openings beginning 5/26.

View attachment 496668
thanks, I found what looks like the full list for Wyndham

https://hub.vacationclub.com/resort-updates/
Here is a link that includes HH timeshares half way down the page

https://www.hiltonheadisland.org/covid-19
Here is Hilton Vacation Club (hit plus for resort reopening information and closed resort)

https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/travel-alert

Last edited:
OK so I will start with the fact that I take a conservative/careful approach to opening and distancing so I am not saying DVC should necessarily open now.

I do think that DVC owes members a much more in depth rational as to why it is in the best interest of the majority of members to remain closed when the vast majority of timeshares in the same area are either open (most with limited services) or will be opening very soon.

Without this justification/information, I am cynical enough to begin to consider that DVC may be putting broader interest of Disney corporation ahead the their legal responsibility to do what is in the best interest of the majority DVC members

Wouldn't it be in the best interests of the system & membership if they wait to open the DL & WDW DVC resorts until the parks are open? How will they handle points that belong to those who won't go until at least then (who I believe vastly outnumber those who are chomping at the bit to go right now even if the parks aren't open). I realize that DVC can easily just apply the rules, but that isn't going to stop lots and lots of owners from complaining about losing money all over the internet. That can't be good for business (sales).

I know that the DVC contracts specifically state that the parks are not guaranteed to be there, but like it or not, Disney has to know that the vast majority of owners purchased because of the parks. It will not play well if they open the resorts before the parks. IMO, they are caught between the proverbial "rock and a hard place". No matter what they do, there will be lots of upset members. That being the case, they might just as well do what they think is right. YMMV.

FWIW, either way, I have nothing to lose (as far as DVC points go) and only hope that when they open resorts and parks, they don't need to shut them down again due to an unmanageable surge of cases needing hospitalization & ICU beds.

Wouldn't it be in the best interests of the system & membership if they wait to open the DL & WDW DVC resorts until the parks are open? How will they handle points that belong to those who won't go until at least then (who I believe vastly outnumber those who are chomping at the bit to go right now even if the parks aren't open). I realize that DVC can easily just apply the rules, but that isn't going to stop lots and lots of owners from complaining about losing money all over the internet. That can't be good for business (sales).

I know that the DVC contracts specifically state that the parks are not guaranteed to be there, but like it or not, Disney has to know that the vast majority of owners purchased because of the parks. It will not play well if they open the resorts before the parks. IMO, they are caught between the proverbial "rock and a hard place". No matter what they do, there will be lots of upset members. That being the case, they might just as well do what they think is right. YMMV.

FWIW, either way, I have nothing to lose (as far as DVC points go) and only hope that when they open resorts and parks, they don't need to shut them down again due to an unmanageable surge of cases needing hospitalization & ICU beds.
I just think that they owe the members a timely and more in depth rational for not opening and why they can not give a date. We know the longer term damage (members point losses, more points than accommodation to use them etc) to the system mounts every day, The question is the short term benefit adequate?

Last edited:
The property management agreement is with Disney and they have a say in when they can provide the workers to go back to work safely. In that sense, DVCM is at the mercy of Disney.

I am not sure in the other timeshare world if the management company is the same one that hires the workers. In our case, it is not,

I think with them coming to an agreement with the union on safety protocols last week, and the presentation this week, we should get information

I am hoping we will see the DVC resorts opening dates by July 1st...but if not, then I agree...I want to see a more in-depth explanation and language from that property management agreement...which I will request,,,that supports why DVC can’t open for stays.

Disney is also aware that Florida has been engaging in selective reporting. The kind of selective reporting involved - not reporting positive tests and deaths of non-Florida residents, including visitors and snowbirds - is problematic for Disney.

It doesn't affect me personally if they open in June or July but I do think it's in the best interest of DVC as a whole for them to open sooner rather than later. We are already going to have a backlog of points and people who may have difficulty getting accommodations so to prolong the closure will only exasperate the situation.

Is the opening of WDW DVC resorts dependent on DL DVC opening? I hope not because it sounds like they may be closed into August...

Disney is also aware that Florida has been engaging in selective reporting. The kind of selective reporting involved - not reporting positive tests and deaths of non-Florida residents, including visitors and snowbirds - is problematic for Disney.

I'm not aware of FL engaging in falsely reporting the stats in relation to CV-19 :scared1:; I'm curious to know your source. Thanks in advance. :)

I'm not aware of FL engaging in falsely reporting the stats in relation to CV-19 :scared1:; I'm curious to know your source. Thanks in advance. :)

Florida resident here. The daily reports my local and state government provide have stats for both Florida residents and non residents. Some of the issues was initially with the coroner’s office and death certificates. The State wanted to hold back the information the coroners office provided because they wanted to show where the infected person lived rather than where he died to try to get a more accurate picture of where the infections are.

For example, for any kind of hospitalizations I need I travel so Sarasota because their hospitals are far superior to the ones in my county. If I got infected and died there, the coroner would count it as a Sarasota death rather than my county. The Department of Health reports where the residential address is.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...edical-examiners-database-of-covid-19-deaths/

A major point of contention between the Department of Health and medical examiners was the fact that DOH had been excluding non-resident deaths from its count. Whereas medical examiners count deaths where the person died, DOH's practice has been to count deaths based on the deceased's state of residence. This means that losses among seasonal residents — who account for over 1 million people — have been excluded from the state's death toll.

Florida resident here. The daily reports my local and state government provide have stats for both Florida residents and non residents. Some of the issues was initially with the coroner’s office and death certificates. The State wanted to hold back the information the coroners office provided because they wanted to show where the infected person lived rather than where he died to try to get a more accurate picture of where the infections are.

For example, for any kind of hospitalizations I need I travel so Sarasota because their hospitals are far superior to the ones in my county. If I got infected and died there, the coroner would count it as a Sarasota death rather than my county. The Department of Health reports where the residential address is.
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...edical-examiners-database-of-covid-19-deaths/

A major point of contention between the Department of Health and medical examiners was the fact that DOH had been excluding non-resident deaths from its count. Whereas medical examiners count deaths where the person died, DOH's practice has been to count deaths based on the deceased's state of residence. This means that losses among seasonal residents — who account for over 1 million people — have been excluded from the state's death toll.

So does this mean that those people are counted but not in FL totals? They are counted in the state where they live? Is that correct? I think that if they are counted in both we would be overstating the numbers. They should only be counted once. It may be hard to tell where they got the virus so that could have something to do with where they get counted.

I heard on the TV a while ago that in NY (for one) they were counting all deaths with raspatory issues as coronavirus even it the person wasn't tested, they were getting more money from Medicare if the death was reported that way which was the reason it was done. I don't have any first hand proof this happened but I have seen this reported in more than one place. I hope it isn't true but I'm not sure we will ever really know.

Well we know that the big draw of the Orlando DVCs are the parks, but that does not apply to VB and HH, so why do they not have an open date?

Even with the parks closed DVC still has at least a much value as the other timeshares, so while not ideal what is the rational for not at least letting interested members access that value?

Yes it will take a few more days for CM call back for DVC, but DTD was accomplished and the resorts are much more "controlled" since they have a pre known number of guests. so what makes DVC different enough for the delay in opening as compared to most other local timeshares, or is it that the others are simply are premature?

So does this mean that those people are counted but not in FL totals?
I believe this means they are not being counted, because most states count by deaths within their borders, not "legal residents dying somewhere."

The challenge is that regardless of where someone "got" it, if hospitalized in FL with it, they likely had FL contacts with it. That would be especially true in a resort area, which would be a specific concerns for Disney.

I believe this means they are not being counted, because most states count by deaths within their borders, not "legal residents dying somewhere."

The challenge is that regardless of where someone "got" it, if hospitalized in FL with it, they likely had FL contacts with it. That would be especially true in a resort area, which would be a specific concerns for Disney.
And if they died in Florida, the probably needed a bed in a Florida hospital and maybe an ICU bed as well.I

If they don't count them where they die, Florida is going to underestimate what is needed to care for people. That's not good!

And if they died in Florida, the probably needed a bed in a Florida hospital and maybe an ICU bed as well.I

If they don't count them where they die, Florida is going to underestimate what is needed to care for people. That's not good!

What your saying may or may not be true but it seems that the state of FL is doing very well and it doesn't appear that they are having a problem with their hospitals, available beds or equipment needed to care for their patients. Let's hope it stays that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter