Other than DVC what other timeshares are still closed in FL and SC? Why the difference between DVC and others timeshares

The longer DVC stays closed the longer we are going to have a problem with points. Already we are only allowed to borrow 50% from next UY

So does DVC wait another 2 months or so for parks to possibly reopen at which point we might not be able to borrow ANY points from the next 2 or more Use Years?

Or do they open ASAP and stop the bleeding. Yes there will be lots of pissed off members NOW who dont want to go because they want the parks open, BUT, IMO that will be far less people than EVERY SINGLE MEMBER not being able to borrow points for years to come.

Adjusted the title to adjust and assist in staying on topic

from the timeshare data, if all the other local timeshares are open, which appears likely in a week or 2, how will DVC justify staying closed

Adjusted the title to adjust and assist in staying on topic

from the timeshare data, if all the other local timeshares are open, which appears likely in a week or 2, how will DVC justify staying closed

I think we need to find out who runs those other timeshares. DVC resort operations are run by WDPR and their employees.

Are they open earlier because they have a different type of contract in who runs the resorts? Is it the same company?

We are at the mercy of Disney based on the contract we have with them...it was done that way to pretty much put them in charge,

So, while DVC opening doesn’t have to match the paris, the resorts still need Disney to call back workers.

Right now, they have begun to do that at DS, so it will be harder for them to justify not getting these open in the next month, IMO, as the emergency powers were based on health and safety.

Yes they have already by the DS opening justified that retail and food establishments can open with modification.. Since the emergency orders technically never closed down hotels and timeshares (only private rentals) in FL. the justification for continuing to keep all of DVC closed is very unclear

Yes they have already by the DS opening justified that retail and food establishments can open with modification.. Since the emergency orders technically never closed down hotels and timeshares (only private rentals) in FL. the justification for continuing to keep all of DVC closed is very unclear

All that DVCM needed to allow the shut down under emergency powers was a state of emergency...which FL is still under,

They did not have to be ordered to shut down but that gave them the option to do so legally,

But, as you said, now that Disney has begun to call CMs back, they are indicating things can be done safely, which does support that DVC resorts could open with that safety in mind,

I am hoping we get info this week. I read that they have begun to test out the monorails again, so to me, that is a good sign things are beginning to move.

All that DVCM needed to allow the shut down under emergency powers was a state of emergency...which FL is still under,

They did not have to be ordered to shut down but that gave them the option to do so legally,

But, as you said, now that Disney has begun to call CMs back, they are indicating things can be done safely, which does support that DVC resorts could open with that safety in mind,

I am hoping we get info this week. I read that they have begun to test out the monorails again, so to me, that is a good sign things are beginning to move.
thanks for the updates, I despite rumors to the contrary I think the odds are that in some fashion DVC will begin to open up soon. It is just interesting that the DVC black box has been sealed so tightly around reopening

thanks for the updates, I despite rumors to the contrary I think the odds are that in some fashion DVC will begin to open up soon. It is just interesting that the DVC black box has been sealed so tightly around reopening

Yes, and my gut tells me it is because WDPR is involved in the decision and they are locked into not saying anything until the official announcement.

Yes, and my gut tells me it is because WDPR is involved in the decision and they are locked into not saying anything until the official announcement.

I agree that they are waiting for the official announcement for the opening of everything. There is no reason for Disney to say anything if they don't have anything positive to say! One big statement will give details for what is opening and when. They probably have phases with hotels and DVC opening before the parks.

I am hoping we will see the DVC resorts opening dates by July 1st...but if not, then I agree...I want to see a more in-depth explanation and language from that property management agreement...which I will request,,,that supports why DVC can’t open for stays
Are you hoping they open by July 1st, or that they make an announcement of the date they will open by July 1st?

I was hoping for more information on HHI or Vero by now - almost all of the impediments you’re staying at short term rentals in those areas (timeshares included) have been removed by the local governments etc - I have more understanding regarding WDW DVC bc of the added complication of shared transportation but that isn’t an issue at Vero or HHI. What is up with the holdup? I don’t see anything standing in their way and i wish i knew more about the legality behind this but to be able to open up At least 2 resorts & just choose not to, I don’t see how that works.

I was hoping for more information on HHI or Vero by now - almost all of the impediments you’re staying at short term rentals in those areas (timeshares included) have been removed by the local governments etc - I have more understanding regarding WDW DVC bc of the added complication of shared transportation but that isn’t an issue at Vero or HHI. What is up with the holdup? I don’t see anything standing in their way and i wish i knew more about the legality behind this but to be able to open up At least 2 resorts & just choose not to, I don’t see how that works.

Add Aulani to that mix as well. At this point it seens as if DVC is being negligent on behalf of owners. Hell, I could even argue that WDW should open DVC resorts at a minimum.

I know some believe an all or nothing approach to WDW DVC opening is required though the variability with other timeshares within the same program and area would be evidence that this is not required, but I think that opening the resorts where the fidelity of social distancing could be the highest and where there is easily managed support limitations if the cash hotels are closed would be a reasonable steps

I think OKW THV and SSR along with VB and SSR would be sensitive when the time is right. I do think they would need to do some outside the box thinking, like temporarily transferring a few of the open air trams to allow guest to move around until they are needed at the parks, This would put DVC at about 35% of point capacity

the next level would be AKV Kidani and perhaps BRV/CCC since that accounts for the majority of the resort. I could see this in parallel with FW since it is an easier social distancing configuration (than hotel resorts) This would add another 12% point capacity

This of course this only makes sense during a pre-park opening phase.

Reactions: cm8
They need to at least announce a target date for opening DVC resorts or a date range. They can qualify it by saying they are separate from the parks division and there’s no guarantee parks will be open by their date, yada yada. But I think the lack of communication is definitely ridiculous and at this point, it is getting negligent.

I’m curious as to what point members should start contacting DVC and mentioning legal action.

Are you hoping they open by July 1st, or that they make an announcement of the date they will open by July 1st?

That they open by July 1st. Like I said, our contract for operations of the resorts is with Disney...so they have a big say in opening date since they provide the workers to run the resort. DVCM has only so much control over that.

But, given that they are calling workers back to DS and have the agreement with the union, means they have determined CMs can do things safely. At this point, it says to me there is no reason they can’t begin to bring them back to run DVC resorts,

Matter of fact, I think mid June is realistic for opening DVC.

They need to at least announce a target date for opening DVC resorts or a date range. They can qualify it by saying they are separate from the parks division and there’s no guarantee parks will be open by their date, yada yada. But I think the lack of communication is definitely ridiculous and at this point, it is getting negligent.

I’m curious as to what point members should start contacting DVC and mentioning legal action.

There is some language in the contract that discusses when ones home resort is closed and the remedy for using points at the other resorts,

However, it is written in such a way that it assumes it’s the only one and others are still there, However, you leave too many closed and all of a sudden, you have adjustments that would be harder to deal with,

Again, at this point, it’s about the workers, and not the resorts themselves..although the state of emergency in FL is still in effect,

The CMs are not employed by us, the owners, and without a mutual agreement with Disney to provide workers in a safe manner, DVCM can not order them to come to work, only Disney can.

Of course, I do think members should feel free to contact DVC..I will again after they do their presentation this week..to find out what it would take to come to an agreement with Disney to call the workers back to work at DVC.

The thing is that Disney set this up in such a way that we really do have little say in the operations as long as they hold the contract,

But, the good news is that they did call some CMs back already, which now, IMO, is when the term from the POS of reasonable comes in to play. I think it’s reasonable to expect them to open within a months time.

ETA: I am now wondering if there is some level of union seniority for CMs that is playing a role? Can Disney call back some to certain DVC without all of them? Good question for me to add to my email this week!

Add Aulani to that mix as well.
Hawaii has a 14 day mandatory quarantine for anyone arriving, including inter-island. Food can only be delivered to a hotel room, and limited movement out of room is permitted. People are getting arrested for violations of the quarantine rules and 'deported' back to mainland.

I don't think there is any question why AUL is closed and will stay that way for a while, and it certainly isn't negligence.

I know some believe an all or nothing approach to WDW DVC opening is required though the variability with other timeshares within the same program and area would be evidence that this is not required, but I think that opening the resorts where the fidelity of social distancing could be the highest and where there is easily managed support limitations if the cash hotels are closed would be a reasonable steps

I think OKW THV and SSR along with VB and SSR would be sensitive when the time is right. I do think they would need to do some outside the box thinking, like temporarily transferring a few of the open air trams to allow guest to move around until they are needed at the parks, This would put DVC at about 35% of point capacity

the next level would be AKV Kidani and perhaps BRV/CCC since that accounts for the majority of the resort. I could see this in parallel with FW since it is an easier social distancing configuration (than hotel resorts) This would add another 12% point capacity

This of course this only makes sense during a pre-park opening phase.

Are your reasonings for these resorts based on how they open outwardly to fresh air? And the rest into a common hall?

Hawaii has a 14 day mandatory quarantine for anyone arriving, including inter-island. Food can only be delivered to a hotel room, and limited movement out of room is permitted. People are getting arrested for violations of the quarantine rules and 'deported' back to mainland.

I don't think there is any question why AUL is closed and will stay that way for a while, and it certainly isn't negligence.

Great point. They can certainly use that government order to keep it closed due to safety of owners since the government has said what they have.

Are your reasonings for these resorts based on how they open outwardly to fresh air? And the rest into a common hall?
Yes and the overall proximity (walking boat distance) to DTD for SSR and THV and SSR

Reactions: cm8
Great point. They can certainly use that government order to keep it closed due to safety of owners since the government has said what they have.
Indications are that they are going to soon lift the inter-island quarantine for some if not all the islands all but Oahu are down to a handful of cases and even Oahu only has 14. This also makes them one of the best candidates for Korea style tracing fro virus suppression. I am guessing that they may be one of the first to try test before departure to the islands like some of the European countries have tried. Of course to be fully effective they would have to so a retest some time after arrival (3 to 5 days). I am expecting a port of entry charge to cover the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter