Other than DVC what other timeshares are still closed in FL and SC? Why the difference between DVC and others timeshares

Orange County has over 80% of their hospital beds in use right now. Maybe the fact that guests needing medical care could overflow the system is a factor.

Hawaii's order is here, by the way, and currently runs through June 30: https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/news/alerts/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/

You must stay in your visitor lodging/home to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19 to other people. This means:
  • Do not use shared facilities such as pools, spas, gyms, restaurants, or bars
  • Ask someone to drop off food and other necessities at your front door or order room service
  • Do not go to public places such as the beach, work, school, shopping centers, childcare, or local attractions
Hotels that are open are in the position of enforcing; some are providing single-use keys to rooms so if someone leaves their room they cannot get back in without talking to staff; they're also monitoring security cameras in hallways. A lot of the arrests are people who are taking an approach of "I spent $$$ to be here I'm not staying in my room!" and I'm sure that would be even worse at AUL. Reopening while this order is in effect would get ugly for Disney.

They need to at least announce a target date for opening DVC resorts or a date range. They can qualify it by saying they are separate from the parks division and there’s no guarantee parks will be open by their date, yada yada. But I think the lack of communication is definitely ridiculous and at this point, it is getting negligent.

I’m curious as to what point members should start contacting DVC and mentioning legal action.

Disney is planning to present their opening plans to Orange County, or whoever it is this week. Nothing negligent about waiting until they have their plan in place before making an announcement. I can wait till they have all their information together before releasing opening dates. It does no good to hear that they will open in a few weeks. Then people will complain that it's not specific enough.

Why on earth would people want to start legal action? This is an unknown pandemic where we don't know the future. Disney goes by the advise of lawyers, health experts and government guidance. What would you sue for? DVC isn't open, and I want to go...NOW....Marriott is open, so DVC has to open now too, or else!

Disney and all its components are hemorrhaging money. They want to get back to business as soon as possible, but they have to get it right. If I was at the top, I would be much more concerned that I have all the safety features in place for my cm's and guests than whether DVC opens next week or next month. Those wrongful death lawsuits are real.

I think if they go and open the hotels to the NBA and not to DVC members then there might be a path for legal action. If staff can be brought in and risked to work for NBA players and staff then why not paying members? I know the NBA thing is not a done deal - but it will be interesting to see what happens if they do house the players and staff in Disney owned hotels and do not open hotels for DVC.

Disney is planning to present their opening plans to Orange County, or whoever it is this week. Nothing negligent about waiting until they have their plan in place before making an announcement. I can wait till they have all their information together before releasing opening dates. It does no good to hear that they will open in a few weeks. Then people will complain that it's not specific enough.

Why on earth would people want to start legal action? This is an unknown pandemic where we don't know the future. Disney goes by the advise of lawyers, health experts and government guidance. What would you sue for? DVC isn't open, and I want to go...NOW....Marriott is open, so DVC has to open now too, or else!

Disney and all its components are hemorrhaging money. They want to get back to business as soon as possible, but they have to get it right. If I was at the top, I would be much more concerned that I have all the safety features in place for my cm's and guests than whether DVC opens next week or next month. Those wrongful death lawsuits are real.
So if all others are open, are you suggesting they are not following expert advice and guidelines? Did every other operator get it wrong, and only Disney got it right?

Here is where I get my daily data about Florida cases: General home page: https://floridadisaster.org/covid19/
The dashboard: https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86
Today's daily report: https://floridadisaster.org/globala...id-19-data---daily-report-2020-05-25-0947.pdf
All cases are counted, but deaths and hospitalizations are by Florida Resident. When you look at the daily report, the number of non-residents don't usually impact the hospital beds much. the Dashboard does include non-residents who are hospitalized. Orange County has only had 35 non-residents hospitalized over the entire period.

I think if they go and open the hotels to the NBA and not to DVC members then there might be a path for legal action. If staff can be brought in and risked to work for NBA players and staff then why not paying members? I know the NBA thing is not a done deal - but it will be interesting to see what happens if they do house the players and staff in Disney owned hotels and do not open hotels for DVC.
Absolutely

There is no way Disney would be able justify opening resorts for NBA players and families and keeping DVC owners locked out not being able to use their units. That I think would break our contracts we signed.

So if all others are open, are you suggesting they are not following expert advice and guidelines? Did every other operator get it wrong, and only Disney got it right?
Not at all. I'm saying Disney is supposed to present their opening plans this week. Are you saying every other timeshare in Florida is open right now and DVC is the only place closed?

Not at all. I'm saying Disney is supposed to present their opening plans this week. Are you saying every other timeshare in Florida is open right now and DVC is the only place closed?
I really don’t know who is open, and who is not.
That said, from what I read I do get the impression Disney is lagging behind many others. I know in my local area the Disney resort is the only thing I can see that is still closed, other than bars that do not also serve food.

Reactions: cm8
Not every but many are open and withing 2 weeks the vast majority. The apparent fact that DVC was not required to submit a plan to reopen yet Disney corporation decided to wait for the plan for the parks demonstrates the point.

Not every but many are open and withing 2 weeks the vast majority. The apparent fact that DVC was not required to submit a plan to reopen yet Disney corporation decided to wait for the plan for the parks demonstrates the point.

The reason DVCM doesn’t need to submit their own plans is because Disney is our property manager. They are the ones that control operations of the resorts.

Absolutely

There is no way Disney would be able justify opening resorts for NBA players and families and keeping DVC owners locked out not being able to use their units. That I think would break our contracts we signed.

Once Disney decides to allow CMs back to work to run any resort, they have to allow them to come back for all DVC resorts, unless there is a specific order in place that prevents it...I am thinking the ones not in FL.

Again, with Disney being the property manager, they have a lot of power in terms of reopening...but, there would be no justification for them to not to open DVC if they are housing NBA.

Once Disney decides to allow CMs back to work to run any resort, they have to allow them to come back for all DVC resorts, unless there is a specific order in place that prevents it...I am thinking the ones not in FL.

Again, with Disney being the property manager, they have a lot of power in terms of reopening...but, there would be no justification for them to not to open DVC if they are housing NBA.
A union agreement can not be a justification for not meeting the requirements of statute. I run into this regularly in my SPED advocacy work

Reactions: cm8

Except they didn't close them that way, so I can't believe that's an accurate statement. VB, DHHIR and ALU stayed open after the others closed, so it would seem that they could re-open at different times as well.

Except they didn't close them that way, so I can't believe that's an accurate statement. VB, DHHIR and ALU stayed open after the others closed, so it would seem that they could re-open at different times as well.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. What I meant is that unless there was a specific government order elsewhere that prevents them from opening, all DVC should open at the same time. I just meant they can’t keep DVC in WDW closer if other WDW owned resorts are open

The reason DVCM doesn’t need to submit their own plans is because Disney is our property manager. They are the ones that control operations of the resorts.
But as subsidiary corporation of Disney the are by definition a separate legal entity with it their own legal responsibility. If DVCs relationship with Disney corporate prevents that then there is a big issue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter