Ot ~ What's your go to crockpot meal?

I have two simple crock pot recipes that I use a lot:

Salsa chicken: 4 or 5 frozen chicken breasts with a jar of black bean and corn salsa. Cook on low. Shred chicken wiht a fork while still in crock pot when the chicken is done and serve over yellow rice or you can also use the chicken over tortilla chips or in taco shells. We prefer rice.

Beef tips: one package of beef tips with one can petite diced tomatoes and one envelope of beef stew seasoning (the powder kind). Cook on low and serve over rice. Smells great when you get home from work.

I've got two......

CHIPOTLE CHICKEN

3-4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
1 pkg cream cheese, cubed
1-2 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (depending on how hot you want it, you can add some sauce too)
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream chicken soup
1 drained can black beans
1 drained can corn
rice or pasta

Put in crockpot for 4 hours on high...or longer on low.

ANGEL CHICKEN

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, I usually use 4
1/4 cup butter
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
1/2 cup white wine, usually chicken broth
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
4 ounces cream cheese with chives
1 pound angel hair pasta or whatever you have

Place all in crockpot on low for 6 hours. I take chicken out and chop or shred and mix sauce with whisk. Then add chicken back into sauce.

Here's one more...

6 italian sausages
1 bottle chili sauce
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper

Put all in crockpot on high for 4-5 hours. Serve on buns with or without shredded mozzarella.:)

Kalua Pig

1 6lb pork butt roast
1 1/2 tablespoon hawaiian sea salt (kosher works as well)
1 tblsp liquid smoke flavoring

pierce pork all over with fork
rub salt then liquid smoke all over meat (yes your hands will get messy lol)
place in slow cooker
cover and cook on low 16- 20hrs.. (really depends on size .. I can start mine in the morning and its done by dinner.. or for a potluck at the office hte next day i cook overnight)

remove and shred.. add drippings from crockpot to moisten

serve with hawaiian sweet rolls :)

we use the leftovers by adding bbq sauce to it to make bbq sandwiches :)

My son does not like the consistency of meat cooked in a crock pot (to be honest, I don't really), but I rely on it as a working mom, so here is my go-to:

Slow cooker lasagna!! It is delish.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/slow-cooker-lasagna-114123.aspx

We do pulled pork a lot (BBQ park as described here) because that's supposed to be stringy.

Lately my crock pot has been very busy making yogurt, saving me a small fortune.

Buffalo Chicken

Chicken breast (1-2 pounds? use as much as you need)
Jar of hot wing sauce (or make your own with butter and hot sauce)
Packet of ranch dressing mix - not the actual dressing (I usually skip this because I don't keep it on hand and I have never noticed the difference)

Stick it all in the crock pot (my chicken is normally frozen) and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred chicken an hour or so before serving and let it continue to cook and soak up the sauce after shredding

Serve on rolls with or without cheese, eat it as is, make buffalo chicken dip, etc

I do a ton of soups and stews. Stuff that only gets better the longer it cooks.

couple cans of V8, baby reds, chopped celery, onion, baby carrots, 2# stew meat, 1/2 can of beer, bunch of spices (I kind of throw in whatever sounds good that day), cook all day. Before serving I throw in about 3/4 cup of brown rice or farro and some corn.

Boil down a chicken carcass, strain/drain. Use that stock + chicken breasts, a little water, chopped veggies, any seasonings you want, and cook on low all day. before serving, add in some rice, or boil up noodles and add them. Voila...chicken and veggie soup.

French Dip Sandwiches

Eye of round roast
1 can french onion soup
1 can beef broth
1 can beer
Put in crockpot. Cook on low 8 hours. Serve in crusty french rolls.

what are your go to crockpot recipes?

Some other people have already posted salsa chicken, but I do mine a little differently.

1 package of skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 envelope of low sodium taco seasoning (or a couple of tablespoons of Penzey's chicken taco seasoning)
1 jar of salsa

Dump all into the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

If you want, stir in some sour cream at the end of the cooking time.

Serve on tortillas with cheese, or over rice.

Yum. =)

Kalua Pig

1 6lb pork butt roast
1 1/2 tablespoon hawaiian sea salt (kosher works as well)
1 tblsp liquid smoke flavoring

pierce pork all over with fork
rub salt then liquid smoke all over meat (yes your hands will get messy lol)
place in slow cooker
cover and cook on low 16- 20hrs.. (really depends on size .. I can start mine in the morning and its done by dinner.. or for a potluck at the office hte next day i cook overnight)

remove and shred.. add drippings from crockpot to moisten

serve with hawaiian sweet rolls :)

we use the leftovers by adding bbq sauce to it to make bbq sandwiches :)

We make this all the time! Love it! I'm getting low on my Hawaiian sea sal though.

whatever you cook....use the liners! they are about $0.40 each but make clean up a breeze!!!!!

I have "beef stew" in mine.

layer carrots and potatoes in the bottom. (I used baby carrots and salt potatoes cut in cubes 'cause that's what I had.) Lay a chuck roast on top, then a can of mushroom soup, a packet of onion soup mix, and 1-2 cans of water.

When the beef is soft we shred it up and it's yummy. :)

:thumbsup2 I do this, but use a 1/2 cup of wine or cooking sherry in place of some of the water.

We make this all the time! Love it! I'm getting low on my Hawaiian sea sal though.

kosher works as well.. it just needs to be a coarse salt.. we make it quite often at home :). when we go mainland we use kosher salt its an easy recipe to make to bring some aloha to friends and family who can't come visit us :)

Italian beef sanwhiches:

Roast
Dry Italian dressing season package
beef broth

Place roast in crock pot, sprinkle dry italian seasoning packet over roast, pour beef broth in crock pot and cook all day.

beef strogonoff

Stew meat
can of mushrooms
cream of mushroom soup
salt and pepper
beef broth
red wine
sour cream

Place stew meat in crock pot, season with salt and pepper, drain mushrooms and place in crockpot, pour cream of mushroom soup, beef broth, and red wine in crock pot and let cook all day. About 30 minutes before serving add sour cream. Cook egg noodles or mash potatoes to go with.

Try this one! It's been passed all around the kids school and has become a favorite in the neighborhood. It's very yummy!

Slow Cooker Meatball and Tortellini Soup
Ingredients:
½ bag of frozen Italian Meatballs (1 pound)
1 bag (1 pound) frozen cheese tortellini
1 container Beef Broth (32 oz.)
1 can (15.5 oz) Cannellini Beans
1 can (14.5 oz) Italian Diced Tomatoes (has basil, garlic and oregano in it)
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
½ tbsp. Italian Seasoning
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Grated Parmesan Cheese

Directions:
Pour beef broth in slow cooker and add beans (do not drain), diced tomatoes (do not drain), onion, garlic, celery, Italian seasoning and frozen meatballs. Set slow cooker on low for 6 – 8 hours.

About 30 – 45 minutes before you’re ready to eat, add frozen tortellini. Allow to cook thoroughly. Add salt & Pepper to taste.

Ladle into bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese.

Italian chicken

1 1lb chicken breasts
1 packet of McCormick Italian herb chicken
1 (big) can tomatoes
1 pepper cut up
1 onion cut up
white mushrooms

We like it over rice but you could serve it over pasta too.

No time to read everything here right now.... just wanted to add my ideas. THese ideas do NOT require any cooking ahead or browning of meat or anything.

1. Pulled pork. Put pork loin in crockpot with a bit of liquid (apple juice, stock, or even water). Cook on low all day. At the end of the day just remove from the crockpot, shred with two forks, return to the crockpot (draining about half of the liquid), let it reabsorb the liquid in the pot and then add your favorite bbq sauce. Serve on a whole wheat bun with a salad or green veggie. FYI, I use the loin because it is leaner, but pork shoulder is the traditional cut for this.

2. Chicken cacciatore. Put your favorite spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the crockpot (just a few cups). Place chicken on top of that (I usually use leg quarters with the skin removed, but you could use skinless breast, or even a boneless/skinless breast or thigh). Top with onions and peppers (sometimes I soften them in the microwave or even sautee them a bit. Add more spaghetti sauce on top to cover everything. Cook on low all day (6-8 hours) or on high for 4. If you are using a bnls/sknls breast, cook for less time so as to not dry it out. Serve with a side of whole wheat pasta and a salad. If you have little ones, you might want to debone the chicken as you remove it from the crockpot. You do have to be careful of some smaller bones in the leg quarters.

To make things even easier, you can add everything to the crockpot the night before, put the crock in the fridge overnight, and just place it in the sleeve and turn it on in the morning.

For a few other things with a bit more prep.....

Hamburger soup. In your crockpot place browned/drained ground beef (or turkey or pork, your choice), diced carrots, potatoes, onions, celery (could also add canned diced tomatoes, green bell peppers, corn). Top with a large can (or more) of V-8 juice or tomato juice (could even use the spicy juice). Maybe throw in a splash of worcestershire sauce (but watch the salt.... the juice is pretty salty already). Cook and serve! Nice topped with a small sprinkling of shredded cheddar and croutons.

Chili..... In your crockpot place browned/drained ground beef (or turkey or pork again), canned diced tomatoes (or stewed tomatoes... whatever you have on hand), chili seasonings (either packets or from individual bottles), beans (more or less according to your family's preferences). I also bulk up our chili with lots of veggies.... onions, peppers, and sometimes celery. I also will stir in a can of fat-free refried beans once the chili is cooked. It makes it a bit thicker and creamy and increases the mass without increasing the calories significantly, plus it adds fiber.

Those are by FAR my easiest crockpot recipes. I also have a few other recipes that aren't true crockpot recipes, but I have found that I can make the dish up to a certain point, freeze it, and then thaw it when needed, add the remaining ingredients, and then let it cook in the crockpot.

I'll have to look back on this thread and see if anyone mentioned the chicken breast/salsa/cream cheese recipe that everyone here seems to like.

HTH.....................P

My families favorite is cheesy chicken ad rice.

2-3 frozen chicken breasts
One can cream of mushroom soup
One can cream of chicken soup
One can chicken broth

Toss in crockpot and cook all day on low. Shred chicken and add one cup of instant rice, let cook. Throw in one handful of any type of cheese stir and serve. This serves my family of 3. If I was feeding the boys, I would double everything plus add and extra can of chicken broth.

As you can see, I truly have no exact measurements I just toss it all in and it delicious. I serve with green beans and pears!

My go-to crockpot meal is easy and I've actually got it cooking right now. Love to microwave the leftovers for a couple days after.

4-5 lg. frozen chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
1 can mushroom soup
1/2 can milk
1 lb. bag baby carrots
2-4 lg. potatoes peeled & chopped
Sweet onion, chopped
Salt & pepper

I cook this on low for 7-9 hrs.

My families favorite is cheesy chicken ad rice.

2-3 frozen chicken breasts
One can cream of mushroom soup
One can cream of chicken soup
One can chicken broth

Toss in crockpot and cook all day on low. Shred chicken and add one cup of instant rice, let cook. Throw in one handful of any type of cheese stir and serve. This serves my family of 3. If I was feeding the boys, I would double everything plus add and extra can of chicken broth.

As you can see, I truly have no exact measurements I just toss it all in and it delicious. I serve with green beans and pears!
This sounds really good! I'm a little confused about the rice. Do you add it right into the crockpot with the chicken and cook it there? If so, how long do you let it cook in there? Or do you cook it separately?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter