Oscars

I watched the NAACP Image Awards last night and will be watching the Oscars tonight. I'm disappointed that Birth Of A Nation was not nominated. I'm all for the winners expressing their political views. Their views and opinions are just as valid as any other American's.

I've got it figured like this:

If I go out and do something a little odd, somebody may hear about it.

If I go out and do something that may lead to my unfortunate demise; a few people (probably local) may hear about it.

If I use a platform that my art uses to give insight into ie: Social Injustices, and I share my opinion than, there's a sure bet the world will hear about it. Maybe, then it will get people thinking about actions, and solutions.

However, like I said in my original post not "too" long.

Enjoy the Oscars!

I've got it figured like this:

If I go out and do something a little odd, somebody may hear about it.

If I go out and do something that may lead to my unfortunate demise; a few people (probably local) may hear about it.

If I use a platform that my art uses to give insight into ie: Social Injustices, and I share my opinion than, there's a sure bet the world will hear about it. Maybe, then it will get people thinking about actions, and solutions.

However, like I said in my original post not "too" long.

Enjoy the Oscars!

Honestly, it may be the duration of the rants that bugs me more than the content. I remember Julia Roberts droning on & on a few years back. And though her speech had zero to do with politics, I just couldn't stand how much that woman clearly loved the sound of her own voice. Insufferable! And I used to really like her :(

The most self entitled, out of touch, limousine $&@#*+}, talking up their overrated art while talking down to anybody that might disagree with them, no thanks.....Tom Brady has more talent in his left elbow than every smug dbag in that room.

Please. don't hold back...tell us how you really feel

I'm sure many people will be disappointed if there AREN'T any politically tinged speeches. Nothing to complain about then.

Thread title should be changed to "Oscar Bashing Thread"

They are only bashing it because they anticipate disagreeing with what those speeches have to say. It's actually quite funny to read how much people speaking out bothers them. You know, the same people who complain about people being offended and having to be careful of what you say are exactly the type of people who get all upset about an Oscar speech they don't like.

Yes, their opinions are "as valid" as anyone else's. But, none of those "anyone elses" get a microphone at the Oscars. Allowing political commentary at the Oscars doesn't give celebrities the same validity as you or I. It gives them MORE.

Now, i will say, if the commentary ties into the film for which you were nominated, that's different. Hidden Figures? Sure, make a comment. Lala Land? Just say "thanks".
How would anyone else get a microphone though? That's just not feasible.

You could in fairness just say that they should shut up. I think that most of them don't say anything and those that do have very little time to say much nowadays. People like to state their opinions (and that is true at any venue) and I personally feel no need to argue with others. It's too much trouble usually but here I am doing it anyway ;)

They are only bashing it because they anticipate disagreeing with what those speeches have to say. It's actually quite funny to read how much people speaking out bothers them. You know, the same people who complain about people being offended and having to be careful of what you say are exactly the type of people who get all upset about an Oscar speech they don't like.

I don't want to hear political speeches I do agree with. I'm sick of hearing about any of it, no matter what side of the fence they are on.

For those of you who don't mind the political aspect of the Oscar acceptance speeches, the New York Times will be airing a political ad, which also doesn't have a place in "entertainment."

I don't want to hear political speeches I do agree with. I'm sick of hearing about any of it, no matter what side of the fence they are on.

Amen. I watch entertainment shows to entertain me, to escape what is going on in the real world. I am so sick of people, on both sides griping about politics, and that includes people in my own family who I even agree with.
If I wanted to hear political speeches, I'll tune into C-SPAN.

I also don't find actors political opinions very important to me. They are not political experts so their opinions about politics are no different than my mechanics. And I don't want to listen to him when all I want is my car tuned up. I just want them to do their job. If they don't want to stick to that, then I'll just find a new one. Same with entertainment shows. If award shows are going to become the new political rant shows then I'll just watch something else.

For those of you who don't mind the political aspect of the Oscar acceptance speeches, the New York Times will be airing a political ad, which also doesn't have a place in "entertainment."

The importance of truth should always have a place. It's actually sad that people are upset with an ad about truth and sad that somehow reminding people of the importance of truth is considered political.

What new names should we give to the award shows now that they've turned into political forums?

Nothing new. Remember Marlon Brando not accepting his award? Mistreatment of Native Americans?

Same old, same old.

How would anyone else get a microphone though? That's just not feasible.

They wouldn't, which is why I have a problem with the claim that the opinions are of equal validity - unless they have an equal voice, it's not a real comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter