• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oscars

Pretty much all accounting programs at schools are 150 hours now, building in an MBA program (I would call it 'MBA Lite') into the program.

Requirements for being a licensed CPA vary by state, but typically it's the proper number of accounting courses (not necessarily an accounting degree, as some finance and other business majors can qualify), plus a set amount of relevant work experience along with passing the CPA Exam (4 parts) and completing the Ethics exam as well.

Maintaining a CPA license includes completing a number of CPE (continuing education) credits each year as well. For example, I passed the CPA exam in 1997 and was certified for the next 3 years, but didn't complete my CPEs (I didn't really need to be certified anymore), so let my certification go inactive.

Well - I mention a relative is a CPA. I happen to be married to her.

I'm not sure about all the deals with how long the test results expire, but I thought that all four were supposed to be passed within a certain time period. I also took a day off of work and accompanied her when she went to her former employer to look up their records on hours. She gets along fine with the people there and is still good friend's with the boss's wife. That day they had to go into some meeting and even asked her to sit in and answer the phone as a favor. I'm pretty sure back then audit hours were required even without an audit sign off authority, but these days it may not be a requirement in California since a lot of CPAs don't do audits.

My wife isn't currently a practicing CPA, but is keeping her license active. She's been through the CPE courses - live online, recorded, and in person. I guess one advantage of in person is that nobody really monitors if anyone is paying attention as long one signs in, and usually a meal is provided. The online versions could be a pain because they had random popup requests to click on a box. I guess the latest versions even come with tests to see if anyone was paying attention. Still, she got a one year waiver from the CPE requirement since she's not a practicing CPA. She forgot all about it until about a week before it was due. She's also not required to have a colleague evaluation since she doesn't practice.

I finally finished watching last night. (I had planned to watch Monday, but life got in the way, and I've been watching in dribs and drabs.) I'd heard about the mix-up already, but I still felt bad for the cast who thought they won and then found out they hadn't! I definitely think it took several mistakes added together for this happen:

Obviously, someone gave them the wrong envelope.
Then Beatty knew something wasn't right, and didn't call over the people in charge.
Then Dunaway thought Beatty was just messing around, and took over without really looking.
Then the people from backstage didn't come out before the speeches started...

I don't think any one person alone is at fault. (Though I do expect the envelopes will look different next year!)

And I think the lack of ratings really comes down to two things - 1) Who wants to stay up late on a Sunday night? and 2) the over-saturation of award shows in general. I think there are just so many now that people stop paying attention.

I'm not sure about all the deals with how long the test results expire, but I thought that all four were supposed to be passed within a certain time period.

Yes, ever since they went to computer-based testing, it's something like 1 1/2 years from the date of passing at least one section that you have to pass the remaining sections.

I don't think any one person alone is at fault. (Though I do expect the envelopes will look different next year!)

I fully expect that the envelopes will have the category in big, easy to read, high-contrast text on the outside. Maybe even go to printing the category on both sides. Possibly even the suggestion of a different envelope color for different categories. That would easily alert anyone on stage to a problem.

Also - no red envelopes. It reminded me of Chinese envelopes used for gift money. Those are usually gold printing on red - the most auspicious color combination in Chinese culture.

Yes, ever since they went to computer-based testing, it's something like 1 1/2 years from the date of passing at least one section that you have to pass the remaining sections.

My wife had maybe one of her passed tests expire.

Also - it became more difficult when the CPE requirements were changed from 80 hours every two years to 80 hours every two years and at least 20 every year. My wife (the master procrastinator) would cram the 80 hours every two years until they changed the requirement.

If only SNL could get Matt Damon to play Brian Cullinan in the skit I'm sure they're going to do on this.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter