One Day at Sea World In June - Lunch with Shamu?

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
We are a family of three - my DH and myself and our seven year old daughter. None of us have ever been to Sea World but are planning to visit in June. Currently we are only planning a one day visit, but are not time restricted so as long as we don't melt from the heat, we can be there the entire time they are open. I was looking into lunch with Shamu. I was thinking this might be a good way to get lunch in without crazy long lines, and have a very neat and memorable experience also.

Here is my concern - are we giving up a lot of time in the park to do this. Aka, are we going to miss other things that are "must do's"? For what it's worth, my daughter and I are NOT thrill ride seekers, so those are pretty much a non issue. My DH might ride something with a single rider line, but he is flexible and if he doesn't get an opportunity to ride, that's okay too. We are mainly seeking to see the shows and exhibits, the Penguin ride, and maybe some time for my DD to ride the smaller children's rides. Also, the show you see during lunch is not the regular show, right? So we would want to allow time to see the main show also?

I love Dine with Shamu! I go every month, and love it. But yes, it isn't the show (so definitely make sure to catch that one). Depending on when you go, the summer event may be going on. So if that's the case, there would be another show with the sea lions and whales (different from the day show).

I think it is very possible to see most/all the shows as well as Dine with Shamu, which I also highly encourage. If you were a big thrill ride person, then my thoughts would change. If the Shamu kids area is an option for you, then I would try to use that as "down time" until the Shamu stadium show - just to save your feet.

Sea World is not huge, but multiple treks back and forth between the dolphins, shamu, sea lions, penguins, etc. can be tiresome if you are trying to do a long day from open to close!

Another fan of Dine with Shamu and I also agree that you should be able to fit it all in if you're not trying to do the thrill rides.

I think it is very possible to see most/all the shows as well as Dine with Shamu, which I also highly encourage. If you were a big thrill ride person, then my thoughts would change. If the Shamu kids area is an option for you, then I would try to use that as "down time" until the Shamu stadium show - just to save your feet.

Sea World is not huge, but multiple treks back and forth between the dolphins, shamu, sea lions, penguins, etc. can be tiresome if you are trying to do a long day from open to close!

Just be aware that Happy Harbor is currently under construction (with the coaster down at the moment)

When I did Dine w/ Shamu in Feb, it was a great experience. It was actually "Dine with the rescued long fin pilot whales, then head over to Shamu stadium." The pilot whales were (are?) in the dining area tank. The buffet was quite tasty and not crowded. The earlier you reserve, the better table location you get (so it is not important to get to the Dine location early for prime seating). When we went to Shamu stadium after eating, they introduced the orcas, then did some non-splashy behaviors (so we could sit right up front with cameras), then had various orcas pose at the glass for photos with people (through the glass, no contact). It took prob 2hrs all told and was definitely worthwhile. They had trainers walk among the tables and answer questions also.

Long finned pilot whales during Dine w/ Shamu - see the table in the upper background? You're quite close.196 2.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!