'Ohana: Should I be disappointed??? & July 2021 Review

Goofyme1968

Earning My Ears
A little over two years ago, I had one of the best dining experiences I ever had. Tonight, one of the worst.
Without getting into too much detail, I shouldn't have to ask for refills. And when one is brought to me (10 minutes after my wife tells you) by someone else and then you get mad cause ten minutes later you show up with one ..and only receiving the first refill when the bread pudding arrived. Which was cold.
And is it possible to pour caramel sauce over bread pudding sarcastically???
Please look at my past threads. I think I am fairly reasonable... well here is the rest of the dinner.

scones/biscuit: cold and lacking of flavor
Salad: good with excellent vinaigrette
Dumplings: Good...where is dipping sauce
Chicken wings: we ran out of wings, go by walmartand see if they have any teriyaki wings for sale...the cold ones are cheaper
Broccolini: named after Mussolini ?? Flavorless
Noodles: thank goodness for something the same
Eight way chicken: which looked like it had been in a three way. Convention chicken
Beef: I like my beef medium with nice char....this was easily considered burnt. And not a good burnt like fatty burnt pork ends. And cold and burnt is not a good combo. Sauce was good tho

bread pudding: I think the same. Except it was cold. And the crappy pour took the fun out of it. And the ice cream lacks the vanilla flavor than what they use to use.
ukulele guy: I know you just picked it up a couple of weeks ago and it is not fair to put you in a room with people playing 55 a pop for bad food and service.

Listen, I know they are just getting started again, but this was more than unacceptable. Waitress would go to the opposite side of the restaurant to hide and let her poor assistant, who had little English to offer and little idea what was happening, try to keep the meal service going. At least he tried!!
Should have got an apology somewhere. Nothing.

oh. And your meal is served in a skillet,,,,,a PLASTIC SKILLET!!! No wonder she kept moving around the "skillet" and I was worried about her burning herself a couple of times.

fourth day in on a vacation and I have to put this aside and not let it bother me. Thanks for letting me vent.
Oh!!!! Almost forgot. Island Shrimp casserole. Doesn't even reach Stouffer's quality. You know the cheap microwave Mac and cheese that is watery and lacks a cheese flavor??? Well, take that and add precooked shrimp and bake it

Last edited:
Cold food served with a frown? Yes. Be disappointed. For 20 minutes. Then, walk over to The Grand’s new bar and pay too much for a drink. You’ll feel a little better?

Unfortunately, IMO, Ohana started on a downhill slide around five years ago. It was a perennial favorite in my top 10 restaurants list at Walt Disney World for many years, but not any more. Our experiences are just like yours. Breakfast there is still okay, but the Ohana dinner is nowhere near what it used to be (well before Covid). It is now living on reputation alone. Similar story for Narcoossees, again, in my experience. It is unfortunate when this happens but hopefully it will turn around at some point with refreshed energy and culinary care.

They were out of wings?? That’s a pretty major comment of an already limited dinner. We already canceled our reservation for next week based on the weak reviews/cost.

Yes you should be disappointed. Poor service along with poor food is not acceptable.

We went a couple of nights ago and had Maria as our server. She was phenomenal and we tipped her for great service. Unfortunately our food experience was basic. The bread was not good, lacked flavor and temperature. Salad dressing was excellent but kale is not an enjoyable experience for me. We enjoyed the dumplings but agree no sauce??? I’m trying understand why. The wings were good and we ate plenty. Steak was good at medium rare but tough when cooked longer. Chicken was not good and the shrimp casserole was average at best. Bread pudding was fine but to be honest I had lost interest by then.

For $50 a person I would expect a much better showing. The breakfast at Topolinos is worth every penny of $50. Food is excellent and service is top notch. I recommend putting ‘Ohana in the same category as Golden Coral. Spend your money at Top or California Grill.

We have had several enjoyable meals at 'Ohana, then 2-3 years ago we went as a family of 8, the service was horrible (it may have been the same server you had.)
After dinner we had MVMCP tickets, we had to leave the park very early, 4 of the 8 people were sick. We were actually concerned about the bus ride back to the room they were so bad.
The bill for 8 people 6A 2K was crazy.
I did get in touch with Disney (my first time ever complaining to them) We have been to Disney many, many, many times and I never felt the need to do this.
They were very quick to respond and handled the situation as Disney does.
I was hoping 'Ohana would come back strong, but hearing things like this makes me think we won't ever go back to the days of a great meal there.

I began being disappointed years ago and gave up on all WDW table service restaurants. IMO, they've been going downhill for at least five years. But yet, people keep going. I only go to the tried and true off property restaurants I like and that I've been to previously. The food is usually better, the prices are lower and you don't have to make a rez months in advance.

This was a one and done for me quite a few years ago. I have never really understood the draw everyone seemed to have to this restaurant.

For anyone interested, you can purchase the noodles (best thing on the menu), the wings and the bread pudding at the bar right next to 'Ohana.
They have a few tables available there to sit and order at.

For anyone interested, you can purchase the noodles (best thing on the menu), the wings and the bread pudding at the bar right next to 'Ohana.
They have a few tables available there to sit and order at.
Do you know if you can order take away from the tambu lounge? Debating canceling our reservation as well.

Do you know if you can order take away from the tambu lounge? Debating canceling our reservation as well.

I believe you can. The vlogger I watched had them in a take away box and was sitting outside eating.

Sadly I concur. We had 5 people so lots of differing tastes(and this was expensive) we loved it in the past.
this time not so much.

coconut scones with papaya where mostly blah only half of one was eaten.

salad delicious!

wings were just ok nothing to write home about and they kept them coming( must have gotten a great deal on wings)

noodles were the same as always. Some loved some didn’t.
Chicken was ok not great
Kielbasa was pretty good
I hated the beef but 2 of our group liked it.
Oh and that shrimp yuck.

the bread pudding
Am I crazy? Didn’t it used to be banana?
Ours was lukewarm but still pretty tasty

we paid for the view and the ukulele.
Disappointing overall our Cousin was having a rough night (we ended up overtipping to try and turn that frown upside down)

we won’t be back unless things drastically change

This was a one and done for me quite a few years ago. I have never really understood the draw everyone seemed to have to this restaurant.
I agree we went six years ago and I was so excited after hearing all the great reviews. It sure didn't live up to the hype, I can only imagine what it's like now.

So funny that a lot of reviews mention the kielbasa being good vs the other items. Who would have thought? But I ain't payin' $55 for good kielbasa.

Just came home from our 47th anniversary dinner at Ohana, and sadly, I'm going to agree it's our last. We're locals with APs, and have always enjoyed it in the past so we thought we'd give the new menu a try. There were some HIGH POINTS:
-our steak was very tender and perfect medium rare
-still enjoyed the wings
-liked the new salad
- noodles still good
- chicken very moist, although I didn't care for the sauce
- no complaints about the bread pudding, although I didn't remember that much pineapple
- we enjoyed our server Carlos, although like the OP said we were surprised refills were never offered, although we know we could have asked.
LOW POINTS: for us, too many for $55 :
- scones were dry and flavorless
-potstickers still good, but really needed some kind of sauce.
-i also have to agree on the shrimp - just OK, and definitely not an adequate replacement for the grilled skewers. Barely touched it and felt guilty wasting it
- sausage nothing special
- the broccolini definitely not an acceptable replacement for the old veggies - seemed just plain steamed with no flavor

I hate being this negative and this is all subjective, but I know we were interested in hearing what others thought so I thought I'd put this out here.

Like the great debacle of the attempt to drop the noodles (which we were glad they remedied!), we're not holding our breath but we're hoping they might restore the old menu!

The problem is deeper than bad food. The whole idea behind tiki restaurants (which is what Ohana should evoke) is the magic of a tropical afternoon or evening: relaxing, delicious, a bit indulgent, something that lifts you above your cares for a little while. Ohana has become a raucous factory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!