Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Just a few thoughts for those looking into training plans. Everyone in our family (except our youngest, who can't WAIT until he's old enough for the 10K) has run a Disney half marathon of some kind. I love running, run a number of races outside of runDisney, and was previously training to get faster (although I'll work on my sub-1:50 half goal for a non-Disney run.) So I've used various plans that include running an average of 5 times a week and increasing in mileage up to 14 miles before a half. But I've also run half marathons after a lot less training and did as well or better than I have after all that work.

As for my husband and kids, their plan was to show up the day of the half and run it. I'm not advocating that plan at all, but some people can do it. How did it turn out? My husband was OK, but it was tough for him. One of our boys (who actually ran cross country in middle school) said he won't ever do it again. Our oldest loved it, just registered for the GSC and plans to actually train this time. (That was a condition of me dropping back into his corral to run with him.) :) They ran in a later corral (used a DL 10K time for proof and I think they were in L or something) and said it was fun and really laid back.

So it's always tough to say what works for any of us. But I do enjoy running a lot more now that I'm not as worried about following a specific training plan to the letter.

Okay, possible outfits - 5K: Flounder, 10k: Minnie (repeating an outfit I've used before, but no one will care except for me :P), half: Daisy...

...I think.

Mostly I just keep thinking over and over how glad I am that registration is over! :faint:

Daisy and Flounder are great ideas! I'm considering a repeat of my Minnie outfit from the marathon. I love it and have very few opportunities to wear it (although it's pretty basic with just the black tank and the polka dot skirt.) For the 10K, I'll probably use the yellow skirt I already have from a Belle-themed outfit and pair it with a rawthreads "Snow" t-shirt. But not sure . . .

I just signed up for my first Half Marathon today and I'm so scared. But I figured my first shot at something like this would be infinitely more fun if it's at Disney World! Talk about a reason to train! And my dad was the only one who wanted to run with me, so it's the two of us. He's a little worried that he will be one of the only guys running it, but he decided to run it with me to support me! If anyone has any tips or tricks, let me know.
I ran this race with my brother in 2011. He was outnumbered for sure (like 10:1 women:men) but he still had a blast! I'm sure your dad will too :)
Daisy and Flounder are great ideas! I'm considering a repeat of my Minnie outfit from the marathon. I love it and have very few opportunities to wear it (although it's pretty basic with just the black tank and the polka dot skirt.) For the 10K, I'll probably use the yellow skirt I already have from a Belle-themed outfit and pair it with a rawthreads "Snow" t-shirt. But not sure . . .
I'm excited for Daisy and Flounder. Daisy will be easy to do...Flounder I may need to put some more effort into. :upsidedow

And gotta wear this beauty for race #3. :teeth:
image.jpg

Congrats to all who survived registration today! I registered my daughter and I on early registration day for the 5 and 10 K's. Today I got tickets for the Pasta in the Park for Saturday night and added the breakfast for Friday morning after the 5K. When I saw the shirts, I knew I had to have one for my daughter and me! I somehow missed the email about the Disney Visa sale tomorrow, but I did get free shipping by adding a $2.99 pair of kids sunglasses to the order to go above $75. Now to train! I'm doing a local 10K in October. It will be my first 10K. We're doing the 5K during Wine & Dine weekend.

Hi everyone! I am a long time lurker, but I'm excited to be running the GSC next year! I ran the Princess Half this year (my first half marathon ever), and had so much fun I just had to sign up again :) Thanks for posting the active.com link earlier in this thread, that was super helpful in getting registered right at noon.

Since I have become addicted to runDisney lately, you'll also find me at the Wine and Dine this year, and the WDW Donald Half Marathon at the beginning of next year. It's an addiction! Maybe one day I'll be brave enough for the WDW Marathon :)

Ariel, adorable skirt!

For those asking about race retreat, I did it for my first PHM and for my first full Disney marathon. I thought it was worth it for those "firsts" and for weather insurance. :) I was ready to go very early and found it really comfy to sit in the tent waiting for the walk to the start. The bag check was super easy and the bathroom line was relatively short. (Although not really a significant benefit if you consider the bathroom stop immediately outside the corrals the most important!) It was nice not to have to think about breakfast (the bagels, peanut butter and bananas they provide were all I needed.) I didn't eat much post-race, but I did like having bacon available! Many of us noticed a significant change for the marathon in January of this year - we could not take a single piece of food out of the RR tent post-race. I understand the new rule - I previously saw runners loading plates high and walking out with multiple forks sticking out - clearly intended to share with friends/family who did not purchase RR. Also, they moved the tent in January - instead of placing it closer to the finish line, it was tucked out of the way a bit.

But as a repeat Disney runner, I'll skip the race retreat. Again, I don't regret the decision to pay for it in the past, just don't feel as much of a need for it in the future.

Now that the stress of registering myself and CM friend (Go Go - her MagicBand name) for the 10K has dissipated, a little, I'd like to volunteer to work the Half. GoGo will be working the Half's entertainment either behind the scenes or on the course.

Where and when can I begin looking at signing up to volunteer? We'll be staying at Coronado so transportation won't be a problem. If you've volunteered before, is it better to sign up for an early morning shift or something later?

Thanks and this is such a great thread! I had hesitated to join in case we couldn't get registered.

Thanks @pixarmom :teeth:
Congrats to all who survived registration today! I registered my daughter and I on early registration day for the 5 and 10 K's. Today I got tickets for the Pasta in the Park for Saturday night and added the breakfast for Friday morning after the 5K. When I saw the shirts, I knew I had to have one for my daughter and me! I somehow missed the email about the Disney Visa sale tomorrow, but I did get free shipping by adding a $2.99 pair of kids sunglasses to the order to go above $75. Now to train! I'm doing a local 10K in October. It will be my first 10K. We're doing the 5K during Wine & Dine weekend.
What is the Disney Visa sale?
I THINK the code is DISNEYPAL...don't quote me on that though. Should be 25% off the entire purchase. I hope the shirts aren't excluded from it!
Now that the stress of registering myself and CM friend (Go Go - her MagicBand name) for the 10K has dissipated, a little, I'd like to volunteer to work the Half. GoGo will be working the Half's entertainment either behind the scenes or on the course.

Where and when can I begin looking at signing up to volunteer? We'll be staying at Coronado so transportation won't be a problem. If you've volunteered before, is it better to sign up for an early morning shift or something later?

Thanks and this is such a great thread! I had hesitated to join in case we couldn't get registered.
Volunteer registration won't open for a few weeks/months. I think info would be here: www.rundisney.com/volunteer/

Everybody feel a little less stressed and enjoying a glass of wine now ?

Just wanted to add to all the excellent advice given about training is to find out what electrolyte beverage they are serving and try it out before race day just in case there are any gastrointestinal issues if you know what I mean and also figure out what you might want to eat before race day morning and try it out on your long run of 8-10 miles. Again for the same reason to try the beverages.

I loved having race retreat before my first PHM just to help calm me down before heading out to the chaos of the corrals .

Does anyone know if there are any ways left to register for the half? My friend didn't get in and desperately wants to run in the PHM weekend?

Ariel484 I have to thank you for the link that you posted just after noon.

I left work to sit on my laptop and cell at the house. The RD site was not cooperating. Your link got me in so that i was able to sign up my daughter and I for the GCS.

Thanks

Ed

I just signed up for my first Half Marathon today and I'm so scared. But I figured my first shot at something like this would be infinitely more fun if it's at Disney World! Talk about a reason to train! And my dad was the only one who wanted to run with me, so it's the two of us. He's a little worried that he will be one of the only guys running it, but he decided to run it with me to support me! If anyone has any tips or tricks, let me know.

My daughter was originally going to sign up for the full in January. She decided to go for the GSC instead. I told her i would also do it with her. So i was able to sign up today. Now comes the outfits. I told my daughter that i would wear what ever she wanted me to wear. I really have no idea yet what the theme will be. Will it be a full length dress, lace arm sleeves a tiara, or just a tutu and wings. Doesn't matter. We are going to have a blast. And my DD is 29.

Your dad will not be alone. Now you will have to try and talk him into a dress or outfit of some kind ::yes::

Ed

Does anyone know if there are any ways left to register for the half? My friend didn't get in and desperately wants to run in the PHM weekend?

Try Acclaim travel

I tried Acclaim the day they started selling the bibs 2 weeks ago and they were sold out that same day. He said he was trying to get more but wasn't hopeful. I got the last one from another agent, but try Dream Departures they had some left, but that was 2 weeks ago.

Questions for those who have run before:

1. Are there Disney photographers along the course taking pictures, or is it up to the runners to find someone to take their pics with characters?

2. When you go to the parks after the race, do you wear your medals?

SO excited for this!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!