Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Does anyone know how long we have to go back and purchase the commemorative items?
30 days? 60 days?
My credit card needs a breather after this month- GSC, 5K and Hot Chocolate Denver for a POT!

Questions for those who have run before:

1. Are there Disney photographers along the course taking pictures, or is it up to the runners to find someone to take their pics with characters?

2. When you go to the parks after the race, do you wear your medals?

SO excited for this!!

1. Yes photographers along the course and also CM's who will take your pic with characters
2. Wore my medal to the parks along with the blinking Tiara I bought ! LOTS of people wear their medals as it is something to be proud of accomplishing ! Even wore my medal on the plane home !

1. Are there Disney photographers along the course taking pictures, or is it up to the runners to find someone to take their pics with characters?

Not Disney photographers - it's a separate company called MarathonFoto. They sell pictures afterwards, and they're not cheap. Make sure they can see the number on your bib, because that's how they organize the pictures on their website.
From what I remember, they're not allowed to take pictures with your camera, but there's a CM by every character (at least there was at the race I did) that will take the picture with your camera.

I did not, and I regretted it. Most people did. I'll be doing it for all my future races. I absolutely suggest that you do - other guests, CMs, and characters will comment on it!

Does anyone know how long we have to go back and purchase the commemorative items?

It's definitely a while - I think last year my sister bought the pin about a month before the race.
However, some things, like the jacket, may sell out.

Race photographers aren't connected to Memory Maker. If the pictures are important to you, I highly recommend carrying your own camera!

Not Disney photographers - it's a separate company called MarathonFoto. They sell pictures afterwards, and they're not cheap.

Marathon Photo has a deal where you can buy the cd (or download) with all your photos the week before the race- or so. They are also at the Expo with the same deal- BUT you have pre-purchase. It was around $65 for $100 worth of items on their site.
They do not send you offers for months afterwards like other races!

Hello everyone....

Since my nerves have calmed down now that I have officially registered for the glass slipper challenge... I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Rebecca and I'm from Houston 27 years old no kids no husband but I have recently fallen in love with Run/ walking it started off as a way to be healthier and now I'm like completely obsessed.

Since this is my first ever race... Although I might be doing a 5k later this year I'd love to get to know you all !

I'll be essay to pick out just call me the fluffy jogger! I'll be attending the race alone and would love to have new friends when I get there.
Nice to meet you Rebecca. This will be my first ever half marathon too. I will be doing a 5K in about 2 weeks. Needless to say, I'm more than twice as old as you. Join the Facebook group, I'm SherryinBA there.

My family signed up for the 10k today. It's our first rundisney event!

We will be coming off the Disney Dream on Friday AM. I assume we can pick up bibs on Friday sometime. How has it worked in the past? Is it done at ESPN?

Nice to meet you Rebecca. This will be my first ever half marathon too. I will be doing a 5K in about 2 weeks. Needless to say, I'm more than twice as old as you. Join the Facebook group, I'm SherryinBA there.

Nice to meet you!!! Joining now thanks for the invite!!!

lol can you send the link please

My family signed up for the 10k today. It's our first rundisney event!

We will be coming off the Disney Dream on Friday AM. I assume we can pick up bibs on Friday sometime. How has it worked in the past? Is it done at ESPN?
Yes, it's at ESPN WWoS complex. Charter buses run from all onsite resorts to the complex if you won't have a car.

You'll pick up your packets in one location before you move on to the Expo where you will pick up your shirts and shop, shop, and shop! :)

Now the all important question... what will my costume be?!?

I think I'm reusing my Ariel costume from this years 10K for the half. Because I love it, it suits the theme & I want a picture with Prince Eric!

I'm thinking of Jessie (and ny friend will be Barbie) and maybe Merida.

Went ahead and registered myself and Mama Keels for the 5K!

So, I'm GSC+5k! It was the Ariel theming that did it for me.

Hooray for the Triple Crown! I bit the bullet & signed up for the 5k today too! Ariel convinced me!

I ran this race with my brother in 2011. He was outnumbered for sure (like 10:1 women:men) but he still had a blast! I'm sure your dad will too :)

I'm excited for Daisy and Flounder. Daisy will be easy to do...Flounder I may need to put some more effort into. :upsidedow

And gotta wear this beauty for race #3. :teeth:
View attachment 109781

I just love that skirt!

Questions for those who have run before:

SO excited for this!!
Marathon Photo are out taking pictures along the course.
Of course wear your medals and be proud of them show them off and wear huge Smiles!

I'm signed up for the GSC!

Last year I was supposed to do the Princess half. But less than a week before there was a bunch of drama at work with the girl I was going with and, long story short, I ended up staying home and doing her work so that she could go down. So I'm really excited to actually run this year! First runDisney race!

I'll be heading down solo, so I'd definitely be up for any meetups.

Last edited:
Where and when can I begin looking at signing up to volunteer? We'll be staying at Coronado so transportation won't be a problem. If you've volunteered before, is it better to sign up for an early morning shift or something later?

Look at the volunteer site another poster listed. Check out what they have needed for races already having volunteer registration.

I can't even remember what I signed up for when I volunteered for the January 5k this year, but I was assigned to show up at something like 3am. I ended up being put at the very very end handing out water and powerade, after runners got their medals. It was an amazing spot to be in. :)

I am not sure that there are early or late spots for the Half; I think if you're working the Half you're working the Half. But I could be wrong.

Try some of the travel agencies or charities listed on the run Disney website. DH and I had to do it for a disneyland half.

Go to the non-Princess runs to find those TAs and charities...at least the last I checked a few hours ago they still didn't have ANY of them listed under Princess!

They do not send you offers for months afterwards like other races!

Au contraire! Marathonfoto now has the ability to become a member. I have ALL of my races that use marathonfoto on there, and could buy products right now. And I get offers like buy 2 get 1 half off sent to me often. They didn't have Wine&Dine or this year's January half up, so I called them the other day and inside of 5 minutes (including on hold time) they found me (I needed my bib number) and added them to my account. So my Disney runs as well as Seattle Half and Rock n Roll Seattle...it's neat. :)

This is the first yr I've done a run disney race. I am super excited! I am going to be running the 5 and 10k. We're staying at BLT.

Same races, same resort. According to your signature, we bought DVC the same year, too. Hmm....

Well, I tried the Friends & Family discount code (DISNEYPAL for anyone that didn't get the email this morning) and it doesn't seem to work for the Princess shirts, so I'm going to pass on them. :(

The 5K is still open. Not signing up is killing me!!!

Anyone want to take a guess when it sells out? I think by the end of the week, but not necessarily today. But that's just a guess.

Well, I tried the Friends & Family discount code (DISNEYPAL for anyone that didn't get the email this morning) and it doesn't seem to work for the Princess shirts, so I'm going to pass on them. :(

Same! But I did get started on my Christmas shopping!

We are staying at Shades of Green. It was the best price I could find so far and apparently Disney does the race shuttle to there. I'm hoping the military discount at Disney properties will be released soon and I can get closer in for a better price.

BTW, where does everyone buy their running costumes? I've never run in one and I'm picky about what is touching me when I run.

Yep, I'm guessing our shirts fall under the 'Limited Edition' merchandise that's exempt from the sale. Booo! Well I bought the 10K and GSC shirts anyway. :)

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions regarding the race retreat. Your responses were very helpful. :)

I'm really looking forward to this race. This will be my 3rd Disney half and 2nd challenge but I still have yet to do my first half which will be the Disneyland half in Sept. and then follow that with the Rebel Challenge in January. I'm so excited but yet so nervous! I'm not a runner by nature but more of what I like to call a wogger (walker/jogger) but I'm out there trying. I fully expect to be at the back of the pack but will feel so proud to just cross that finish line. :)

I just want to thank everyone in advance for all the great tips, advice and camaraderie on these boards to make this an even more rewarding experience. :)

meg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter